How's the performance for DVD's on the 360?

mick16

CAGiversary!
My 360 isn't arriving until Monday (Damn you UPS for not delivering on Friday), but has anybody watched enough DVD Movies on the 360 to form an opinion of DVD video performance on the system? Specifically with a progressive scan output on a TV capable of handling the signal.

I've got a Pioneer 563-A DVD player in my rack right now, which is an adequate DVD Player, but I'd love to use the 360 for my primary DVD Movie playback and create some more rack space.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Bummer. Should have figured.

Thanks for the link. I guess I'll leave the dedicated player in the rack.

its gotta be better than my ps2 playback with no progressive scan. that thing looks bad on my hdtv.

That looks bogus based on the bidder's rating. My guess is almost all of those bidders with a zero rating are bogus, but there are probably exceptions.

I sold the one that I waited in line 14 hours at Best Buy on ebay on Wednesday as I have the one I ordered online from Reward Zone coming on Monday (assuming UPS doesn't lose it). It was just the Premium Bundle by itself and only got $750 for it. I was kind of disappointed I didn't get more (was hoping for $900), but that's what I get for being a little greedy bastard. In hindsight, I should have kept the one I picked up at the store on Tuesday morning and just sold the one that arrived on Monday, but I saw some of those big auctions go up on Tuesday and thought that maybe consumer panic would drive the prices higher when those sell out stories hit the news.

[quote name='mick16']That looks bogus based on the bidder's rating. My guess is almost all of those bidders with a zero rating are bogus, but there are probably exceptions.
[/QUOTE]

If you look at the date it was sold - the 21st, before launch day. The ones put up then all sold for $1,000 or more, starting on the 22nd the price dropped dramatically because everyone threw theirs up on Ebay.

That's what the people saying "SELL IT" don't understand. You can't get more than $200 more than you paid, if that. Not really worth it, in my opinion.

i think the picture is sharper than the regular xbox. navigation with the controller isn't bad either.

[quote name='mick16']That looks bogus based on the bidder's rating. My guess is almost all of those bidders with a zero rating are bogus, but there are probably exceptions.

I sold the one that I waited in line 14 hours at Best Buy on ebay on Wednesday as I have the one I ordered online from Reward Zone coming on Monday (assuming UPS doesn't lose it). It was just the Premium Bundle by itself and only got $750 for it. I was kind of disappointed I didn't get more (was hoping for $900), but that's what I get for being a little greedy bastard. In hindsight, I should have kept the one I picked up at the store on Tuesday morning and just sold the one that arrived on Monday, but I saw some of those big auctions go up on Tuesday and thought that maybe consumer panic would drive the prices higher when those sell out stories hit the news.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2nd one coming from walmart.com and Im wondering if I should hold on to it till it gets closer to xmas to get more money. If the prices drop too much I might have to return it.

Watched a few episodes of CSI on DVD Thursday night using the 360 player and thought it looked pretty good. Have heard that it varies by movie thought so it may be ymmv.

I sold the one that I waited in line 14 hours at Best Buy on ebay on Wednesday as I have the one I ordered online from Reward Zone coming on Monday (assuming UPS doesn't lose it). It was just the Premium Bundle by itself and only got $750 for it. I was kind of disappointed I didn't get more (was hoping for $900), but that's what I get for being a little greedy bastard. In hindsight, I should have kept the one I picked up at the store on Tuesday morning and just sold the one that arrived on Monday, but I saw some of those big auctions go up on Tuesday and thought that maybe consumer panic would drive the prices higher when those sell out stories hit the news.[/QUOTE]
it is bogus. look at the buyer. it says not a registered user under his name. lol

I gave my dedicated DVD player to the g/f so I was using the PS2 for a while with progressive scan. Now I switched to the 360 and I have to say that the quality is as good if not better with navigation being significantly enhanced.

I have a question though - is there way to adjust the DVD volume from the Xbox? I know the PS2 had the option to make it "loud." I like this feature since I don't have an amp at the moment.

Sorry to bump this semi-old thread, but I got to try out a DVD on the 360.

Looks and sounds great. Makes a decent player if this is your only player. Plays burned discs, too.

My only complaint is that it doesn't play discs with MPEG-2 sound, it seems. Granted, MPEG-2 sound isn't DVD compliant, but most players nowadays seem to play it. Or maybe I put in a bad disc. I'll check again.

I popped in 'Prozac Nation' last night and was not impressed. Maybe it was due to the quality of the film (being an indy) but it was fairly grainy.

so the 360 plays in 480p for DVDs?

I think Im getting a sony 5.1 system for christmas, and if it's the one Im thinking of, it is just a reciever, not a dvd player. In addition, my HDtv only has one component imput, so instead of buying two optical cables, an optical splitter and a component selecter for a seperate DVD player, it would be much easier to play my DVDs on the 360 in surround sound and 480p...if possible.

tried out American Psycho on my 360 a week or so ago. it ran the DVD in 480p automatically.

it looked ok I guess, and as many other posters mentioned, it's not nearly as good as a dedicated DVD player.

bread's done
Back