HP custom PC (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

mindatlarge

CAGiversary!
Great deal for these specs with a 980Ti. The coupon code is good for 30% off any custom PC over $1199.00 or more. Personally I'd recommend upgrading to the i7-6700k. If you're looking for a great deal on a PC for playing games, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal even building it yourself. The last time this deal was live it didn't last terribly long, as they ran out of 980Ti cards, so jump on it if you need the upgrade.

Main page for the 750se: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/deskto...-n3g97av-aba-1
Customization page: http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureV...657&quantity=1

Coupon Code: spring2016

Just a heads up for people buying branded PCs like this one. SOME are locked down in regards to what you can upgrade. Ive had a fair amount of experience with people buying gateway/dell style off the shelf PC's and not being able to upgrade them down the line due to them being locked.

I have no idea if this PC is lockd down. Its more of a PSA
Like most major PC brands, HP has a custom motherboard, but all of the other components (processor, memory, hard drives, SSD, GPU, power supply, etc...) are capable of being upgraded so unless there is a major change to the processor/motherboard options out there in the next few years such that it would require a motherboard replacement, it shouldn't be of much concern.

Like most major PC brands, HP has a custom motherboard, but all of the other components (processor, memory, hard drives, SSD, GPU, power supply, etc...) are capable of being upgraded so unless there is a major change to the processor/motherboard options out there in the next few years such that it would require a motherboard replacement, it shouldn't be of much concern.
I use to have a HP and they would lock the BIOS, so you could not overclock or do anything fansy.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of major brands have custom BIOS that lock to detect major hardware changes and prevent booting. HP are known for it, but not on every "line".

Ive had several customers purchase "cheaper" HP/dell/gateway computers, then come to me a year down the line for a GFX card upgrade/SSD install and have the BIOS reject it.

I use to have a HP and they would lock the BIOS, so you could not overclock or do anything fansy.
I don't believe that to be the case on the Phoenix Envy line. I know I recently bought one of the Phoenix Envy VR ready machines and it allows for overclocking.

Rather just spend $700 getting a I5 and a GTX 970 or $500 for a I3 and 750 or $300 for a AMD 7870. I own a I7 4th generation and a 740 though so maybe I should not speak on the subject.

Are you planning on upgrading in the future? ABS looks so much easier to upgrade but HP such a better value. 980Ti makes a big difference on 1440p monitors over the 980.
At this point I really dont care for having a 1440p monitor and will upgrade in the future but no anytime soon, so probably the ABS one for me.

I just tried putting something similar together on Amazon, and came to $936 sans GPU. 

HP shopping cart is sitting at $1250 with upgraded CPU, 908ti, and an SSD. Seems like a solid deal. Would appreciate any feedback from computer bros.

Same situation. Been a console player my whole life and really want to get into pc gaming. Considered making my own pc but came across these two builds and honestly they provide more for less and peace of mind that I didn't do anything wrong. Now the matter of finding money for one and figuring out what to buy

for $1250 this is a SOLID deal. Ever since moving to PC gaming I've barely touched my consoles. I put a 980ti in mine and it alone was $600.

Now I loved doing it all myself and learning what to do, but if you want peace of mind then it would definitely be worth it to just go with this. The i7 and 980ti alone are 900-950 so considering you get warranty, build, 16GB RAM, the chassis, Mobo, and PSU you'd be hard pressed to find one at the same price. It's possible, but you'll have to do the work yourself.

The 980ti is beast, you can use it for quite some time, anything out right now it handles maxed out pretty much at 1440p. 4K does okayish too, it's probably the best nvidia card available right now save for the Titan X, but you're paying $400 more for only 2-5% more performance. Nvidia did a ridiculously good job with the 980ti (and the 970, too, except for the whole 3.5GB fiasco).

Yea, I think I'm in on this deal. Feels like buying cpu/gpu and getting the rest of the pc for $300.

I did just buy that mechanical keyboard from BB, might as well put it to use.

I just tried putting something similar together on Amazon, and came to $936 sans GPU.

HP shopping cart is sitting at $1250 with upgraded CPU, 908ti, and an SSD. Seems like a solid deal. Would appreciate any feedback from computer bros.
You don't build computers only using amazon, use this website - www.pcpartpicker.com

Anyway, yeah the HP deal is really good. I am usually an advocate against prebuilts, but for this price, you really can't do better. Just come in understanding that you will have a reference 980ti card, as well as most likely proprietary parts for everything else, so only thing salvageable for your next build will be the 980ti card and the RAM.

If anyone is swaying between the ABS and the HP, the HP is current gen tech while the ABS is using a regular non-reference zotac 980 card and last gen tech. You will get roughly about 20% more graphics power by default out of the HP build than the ABS build for roughly the same price.

I'd probably get this if I had actually had a spot for it in my house. Maybe that's a weird excuse but after 2 years in the place we finally have everything the way we like it and we have a 6-month old baby, so there's simply no room to cram in a spot for dad's gaming rig. Some day...

My biggest problem with this build is upgradability. If you're the type of person that would rather buy an entirely new system than swap out parts, then I think this would be good. But a 500 W (probably low quality) power supply doesnt leave room for more power hungry cards in the future. In fact, NVidia's Maxwell line is known for its power/performance ratio. I'm not sure if the power supplies are swappable in HP computers.

Also, the case seems kind of limiting in terms of airflow and if you would want to add different things like liquid cooling and stuff like that.

And I think this is a bad time to buy a graphics card in general (but a good time for processors), so I would personally wait for Pascal.

I'd probably get this if I had actually had a spot for it in my house. Maybe that's a weird excuse but after 2 years in the place we finally have everything the way we like it and we have a 6-month old baby, so there's simply no room to cram in a spot for dad's gaming rig. Some day...
Hook it up your TV in your living room, it has HDMI. I built a computer just to use in my living room, so the family could watch youtube videos and movies. It sounds good when it is hooked up to the receiver with surround sound. Gaming would look good on a 40"+ TV. All you need is a good wireless keyboard and mouse.

I should be getting mine in a few days. I'll update with impressions and pics asap. I will say this system comes highly recommended from very creditable people on NeoGAF as well.

And I think this is a bad time to buy a graphics card in general (but a good time for processors), so I would personally wait for Pascal.
my money is on no 1080ti till at least summer 2017 and we all know nvidia will be overcharging for this summer when the lower line cards come out. Expect to pay 500 for a 1070 until amd releases polaris, then if its close in performance the nvidia prices will drop.

This is a really surprisingly good deal. Like, I'm shocked at a pre-built system offering this value. PSU is a bit small and it's probably a mediocre Mobo, but still pretty good!

Someone convince me to buy (or not buy).  My finger is on the trigger.  Unsure if it's worth waiting until the new GPUs come out.

Prebuilt with a warranty at this price though....

Christ, I still can't decide on this. Part of the reason I'm so tempted is that I don't know much about PCs and building a rig and this is easy peazy. Is the warranty recommended? Also, can anyone recommend a good monitor for a decent price?

DB, building a PC is sinchy but there are sometimes issues with certain parts not loading or being recognized or tiny details like you didnt press the RAM in enough that you have to get through. That being said, you could easily pull it off.

This deal not only removes that labor but is also a great price. Even at cost youd spend close to the same money on CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Monitor: I'm not the best at monitor shopping; I always get the best priced Dell IPS I can afford whenever its monitor purchase time.

I pulled the trigger on one 980ti is a good card for 1080p to max games with. Only concern was the psu is a bit on the low side but overall it is a great deal.

I ended up getting this and now it's time for a noob question:

I'm obviously going to be getting a monitor, but I honestly have no idea if this computer or the monitor will come with cables I need to connect the two. Do I need to buy a cable separately, and if so, any suggestions?

I'm obviously going to be getting a monitor, but I honestly have no idea if this computer or the monitor will come with cables I need to connect the two. Do I need to buy a cable separately, and if so, any suggestions?
Hdmi

HP doesn't include monitor cables with this PC and many of their monitors only include a VGA cable. I bought an HP monitor a few weeks ago and connected it with an HDMI cable to a PC very similar to this one (I ended up buying one of their Envy Phoenix VR units). A good HDMI cable runs under $10 on Monoprice or Amazon now.

Christ, I still can't decide on this. Part of the reason I'm so tempted is that I don't know much about PCs and building a rig and this is easy peazy. Is the warranty recommended? Also, can anyone recommend a good monitor for a decent price?
Pick up an Asus MX279H, you can usually find them for $150. Dual HDMI, IPS, 1080p, bang and olufsten speakers, cool design. I highly recommend. I have one as a second monitor/PS4 monitor.

PC building is pretty easy, but as someone else stated you can mess up something really easy if you don't know what you're doing. I can put one together in 30-40 minutes now but my first build watching videos and taking my time it took me probably 6 hours total. And even still I didn't plug everything in right and had
To tweak a few things.

Pick up an Asus MX279H, you can usually find them for $150. Dual HDMI, IPS, 1080p, bang and olufsten speakers, cool design. I highly recommend. I have one as a second monitor/PS4 monitor.

PC building is pretty easy, but as someone else stated you can mess up something really easy if you don't know what you're doing. I can put one together in 30-40 minutes now but my first build watching videos and taking my time it took me probably 6 hours total. And even still I didn't plug everything in right and had
To tweak a few things.
I don't see it for that price anywhere. I need a monitor tooooo

I talked to a buddy of mine and he recommended this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0149QBOF0/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=35BKGRCKGPHZN&coliid=IJJBHFON6NLLW&vs=1

I think I'm going to go with this one, but I just might wait for a better price.
I would not recommend that Dell G-Sync monitor. I've had two friends who bought them and had all sorts of problems ranging from poor color reproduction to the stand being unstable. If you're gonna go that route, I would spend the extra money on one of the Asus ones with G-Sync capability.

From the reviews it looks like the Asus, Acer, and Dell monitors in that class all have their pros and cons, but I like the Dell reviews and I trust my friends opinion. They all look like good options though.

Deal is dead?  Darn.

Can't get page to load through checkout.

Edit:  Nvm.  Just heavy traffic I guess.  I got through.

$1277 Out the door.  Tax included.

Upgraded to the K processor.

What a deal, though..... 

but

CAN IT HAZ BE TO RURN CRYZORSZ?!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!???1ELEVENTYBILLION1?!? :bouncy:  :dunce:

I ended up getting the 6700 (non k) and the gtx 970. Would this be adequate for vr and 1080p gaming?

Is there a substantial difference in getting the 980 and the k?

Thanks.

The 6700k no.  Very little difference in gaming. At least not for most games.  RTS games possibly.

The 980TI ABSOLUTELY.  The 980TI absolutely scorches almost every other card.  The 970 is a peasant compared to it ;)

A little off topic, but since I picked up the 980Ti I'm looking to really see what it can do. Any suggestions on a few games to pick up that really showcase top-tier PC graphics?

If I am not getting anything higher than 1080p monitor for a few years, is the gtx 970 adequate? Trying to decide if I should cancel the order and change the gpu.

I hear witcher 3 is the best game currently to try out 980ti with as witcher 3 is most demanding.

bread's done
Back