HUGE mistake on Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life, UPC scans as Wave Race:BS

Ugamer_X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Turns out that the UPC printed on the back of the box is for Wave Race: Blue Storm. If you can find the game at any retailer you will be paying for Wave Race, not Harvest Moon. Besides TRU, it doesn't seem like it's been spotted at any major retailers (BB, CC, Kmart).

OP:
Here's the deal, the new Harvest Moon was at my TRU today and the skn was keyed incorrectly in the system. When the game is scanned it shows up as Wave Race and the price is a penny. Stickers with the correct skn number were placed over all the copies at my store. However, the only way your local store will know about this is if a manager or world leader had recently checked the E-mails which explained the glitch and how to fix it. So, if you're lucky, check your TRU out and ask for a price check (or to buy) on Harvest Moon...It might be worth the effort.

[quote name='sabin23']Any idea why it came out to $9.99 at BB?

as opposed to $0.01at TRU or $4.99 at K-mart.[/QUOTE]
It came out to 9.99 because it indeed rang up as Wave Race, sabin23. I don't have a scanner, unfortunately, but I'll try to reproduce the relevant portion of my receipt. It says:

4304201 DOL P GWRE 9.99
CUB-WAVE RACE BLUE STORM

I stopped by another BB just for the hell of it, and they had applied yellow stickers with the correct UPC to all their copies.

BB had yellow stickers covering up the original SKU and Kmart (what a dump of a store, run-down) didn't have any copies at all.

Scored a $9.99 copy at my local BB as well. They had what looked to be about 15 copies on the shelf and haven't covered up their UPCs yet.

[quote name='Jayrcee']Scored a $9.99 copy at my local BB as well. They had what looked to be about 15 copies on the shelf and haven't covered up their UPCs yet.[/QUOTE]

am i the only one who wouldnt pay $10 for this game, especially since u can get almost the same game for $10 used?

[quote name='Sulmona']am i the only one who wouldnt pay $10 for this game, especially since u can get almost the same game for $10 used?[/QUOTE]

So, you wouldn't buy a new game for $10 if you could get practically the same game used for $10? That makes a whole lot of sense. I can imagine you buying a car: "Yeah, I like this car, but do you have one just like it that someone else has driven for a while? I'll pay the same amount." /sarcasm

[quote name='guessed']So, you wouldn't buy a new game for $10 if you could get practically the same game used for $10? That makes a whole lot of sense. I can imagine you buying a car: "Yeah, I like this car, but do you have one just like it that someone else has driven for a while? I'll pay the same amount." /sarcasm[/QUOTE]

Nice logic, comparing a $20,000 purchase to a $10 one. However, if you had any common sense you would realize that generally a game will be the same regardless of how many people have used it. You do not have to worry about the cosmetic condition of your game as long as it works (unless u are a little bitch who has to have even common games in perfect condition for some unknown reason). Furthermore, i would wonder why people would want the so called 'girly" version of the game when you can get the guys version used for the same price or even new for $5 more.

As for your little car comment, I think it goes without saying that the condition of a car changes due to wear and tear. generally there is not any wear and tear on a game disc that affects it. The game sits inside your system, YOU sit inside the car.

[quote name='Sulmona']Nice logic, comparing a $20,000 purchase to a $10 one. However, if you had any common sense you would realize that generally a game will be the same regardless of how many people have used it. You do not have to worry about the cosmetic condition of your game as long as it works (unless u are a little bitch who has to have even common games in perfect condition for some unknown reason). Furthermore, i would wonder why people would want the so called 'girly" version of the game when you can get the guys version used for the same price or even new for $5 more.

As for your little car comment, I think it goes without saying that the condition of a car changes due to wear and tear. generally there is not any wear and tear on a game disc that affects it. The game sits inside your system, YOU sit inside the car.[/QUOTE]

You scuff your used discs on your chest hair to feel masculine, don't you? That shows the "little bitches" how a real man takes care of his stuff.

He's referring to preferring the male version over the newer female version. It's not rocket science, nongs.

And yeah, I'd take the male version over the female version, used or not. I was thoroughly disappointed with this Harvest Moon though. Just couldn't get into it.

[quote name='Sulmona']However, if you had any common sense you would realize that generally a game will be the same regardless of how many people have used it. [/QUOTE]
Umm, ever heard of a skipping or unplayable disk?

[quote name='Sulmona']You do not have to worry about the cosmetic condition of your game as long as it works (unless u are a little bitch who has to have even common games in perfect condition for some unknown reason).[/QUOTE]
Hmm, that's strange. I wonder why *mint* copies on ebay sell for more then...

[quote name='Sulmona']Furthermore, i would wonder why people would want the so called 'girly" version of the game when you can get the guys version used for the same price or even new for $5 more.[/QUOTE]
I'm a girl. I'd like the girl version please. Thanks. :)

Anyway, back on topic. I'm heading to my Kmart to see what's up. It's not that far so I don't have to worry if I don't find it. Besides, I gotta go there to get some stuff anyway. I'll report back if I find it.

Found three copies at BB but with the yellow sticker. I checked at Target, K-Mart, Microcenter and TRU- if any of them had it in stock, it wasn't being displayed. [BTW, at TRU I asked the guy in r-zone when green tags were going to 50% and he said vaugely 'August...but I don't know if it's on Monday......;' which made me wonder if it WAS going to be tomorrow.....]

Exhilirating trip to Best Buy... had an associate price check it for me on the floor (since there were blank dividers with no name or price on them), and he laughed when it came up as $9.99, then looked it up online and told me it was $29.99. And so I promptly... took it to the cash register got it rung up for $9.99. Then almost shit myself when the cashier called for a media associate to verify that Smash Bros was a Player's Choice. Luckily it was a different guy or I would have gotten beat.

[quote name='Sulmona']am i the only one who wouldnt pay $10 for this game, especially since u can get almost the same game for $10 used?[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'm with you. The only interest I had in this game was due to the possibility of getting it virtually free.

My local BB went too extreme. Not only did they have yellow stickers with the correct barcode on the GCN game, they went so far as to do the same for the new GBA game even though there isn't a damn thing wrong with the barcode on that one. Dumbasses galore in that company.

EDIT: gotta hate how utterly unresponsive the CAG server gets at times resulting in multiple posts.

My local BB went too extreme. Not only did they have yellow stickers with the correct barcode on the GCN game, they went so far as to do the same for the new GBA game even though there isn't a damn thing wrong with the barcode on that one. Dumbasses galore in that company.

[quote name='BIG5']There's even a sticker over the UPC in the picture of the back of the box at ebgames.com.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just spotted that at EB online... that's crazy.

[quote name='Roufuss']What's weird is that at K-Mart we got in the new gba Harvest Moon game, yet the GC one was nowhere to be found =/[/QUOTE]

I stopped in a Kmart today since it was near a Blockbuster I was trading in a game at - no new Harvest Moon there either.

HOWEVER, I went to Best Buy with the intention of getting some penny guides. No luck there since they seem to be getting rid of them almost immediately now. Then I had a vague notion in my mind that I should look in the Gamecube section but I couldn't remember why (yeah, I'm getting old). Was it NCAA Football 2005? No, none of those there (at $4.99). Then I saw it - the new Harvest Moon. I almost did an audible "D'oh" and slapped myself in the head. Best thing, of course, or I wouldn't be writing this, is that there was NO sticker over the UPC!

It gets better - I had one $5 PS2 game coupon with me and they had another BG&E. I couldn't believe my luck because I had traded my copy in a pinch when EB rejected another game (I had it in the car) and Best Buy didn't have them last time I was there. They had even removed the placard for it so I thought they were OOS. The BG&E and the coupon gave me the cover I needed to get the Harvest Moon game rung up without the CSR noticing it said "CUB-Wave Race Blue Storm" on his monitor!

I gave the game to my daughter (who is 8) when I got home and she ripped it open and played it for 2 hours. My wife had to drag her away from the GC to go to bed :D. I also came home with a DK RC Kart racer ($9.99 at GS - info from *another* CAG thread) so the boys had fun with that.

My daughter had been bugging me about Harvest Moon for a while since she saw it at Fry's. I told her in that one you were a boy so she wouldn't like it. I told her I'd get the new one for her eventually (I was thinking for a Christmas present). But since I got such a good deal on it I couldn't hold it back.

All in all, it was a very productive shopping trip, with all of the deals courtesy of this wonderful site... (I ALSO got in a Nintendogs preorder at EB using 3 cheap GBA games!). No WAY no HOW I know about the HM/WR:BS UPC mixup without CAG :D.

I'll have to try my local stores, then. At a low price, this game might be really great. I rented the male version a while back. It wasn't bad.

[quote name='io']I stopped in a Kmart today since it was near a Blockbuster I was trading in a game at - no new Harvest Moon there either.

HOWEVER, I went to Best Buy with the intention of getting some penny guides. No luck there since they seem to be getting rid of them almost immediately now. Then I had a vague notion in my mind that I should look in the Gamecube section but I couldn't remember why (yeah, I'm getting old). Was it NCAA Football 2005? No, none of those there (at $4.99). Then I saw it - the new Harvest Moon. I almost did an audible "D'oh" and slapped myself in the head. Best thing, of course, or I wouldn't be writing this, is that there was NO sticker over the UPC!

It gets better - I had one $5 PS2 game coupon with me and they had another BG&E. I couldn't believe my luck because I had traded my copy in a pinch when EB rejected another game (I had it in the car) and Best Buy didn't have them last time I was there. They had even removed the placard for it so I thought they were OOS. The BG&E and the coupon gave me the cover I needed to get the Harvest Moon game rung up without the CSR noticing it said "CUB-Wave Race Blue Storm" on his monitor!
:D.[/QUOTE]

At least someone got lucky...

Yeah, I got another copy today, bought SSBM as cover, and had my fiancee pick it off the shelf (the dude I asked to scan it yesterday was still wandering around, didn't want to mess with him), and no problems. Might be picking one up tomorrow for a buddy, we'll see if I'm pressing my luck.

[quote name='MadEdSkillz']At least someone got lucky...[/QUOTE]

I dunno - now my daughter is bugging me constantly to help her figure out what to do - her cow is mad at her for not feeding it and she can't figure out how to plant the seeds she bought :D. Looks like my gaming this evening will consist of helping her on Harvest Moon.

[quote name='io']I dunno - now my daughter is bugging me constantly to help her figure out what to do - her cow is mad at her for not feeding it and she can't figure out how to plant the seeds she bought :D. Looks like my gaming this evening will consist of helping her on Harvest Moon.[/QUOTE]

Haha... my woman got as far as reading the manual, but she apparently requires a good half hour to get started on it (the only thing she's played on GC is... Tetris Worlds and a little bit of Mario Party 4, I think). So I might be doing the same this week.

[quote name='MadEdSkillz']Definately still worth the bones if found @ K-Mart... I mean, the trade in value alone has to be at least 5 bucks :cool: Anybody know? If not, you could alway package with two other games in one of those trade two get 10$ extra deals.

This is why I love being a cheap ass gamer...

Catlevania Symphony of the Night- 14.99 @ Costco (Greatest Hits)

25.00 trade in @ Gamestop

Probably more online, but I'm really lazy :drool:[/QUOTE]

I realize this question is off topic (and may not get answered in this thread), but what's the website to check gamestop trade in prices? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tradestop.com

I think many people have reported that you can find out what GS would take a game for (in store credit) buy taking Tradestop's value and multiply it by 1.4.

No stores in my area have had the game (Kmart, CC, BB) except for TRU, which had it pulled into the back room and they keyed something in instead of scanning the UPC -- obviously hip to the situation.

HOWEVER, I did find a copy of Wave Race Blue Storm in the huge bin of crap at the Walmart. Any guesses as to the price?? The scanned and confirmed price??? In 2005 for a GC launch title???? $40. Yowza. Stupid Walmart.

[quote name='oleander']That's what I thought, too. Unfortunately, I'm guessing the chances of finding one are VERY low...[/QUOTE]

They have one copy of Wave Race at the local Walmart here. It has a $50 price tag on it.

I can't believe people are still finding this for a penny. I would think everywhere but maybe Kmart would have found out the problem by now. I haven't even bothered looing anywhere but Kmart cause I assumed it would be dead already. I might have to check this out later today at my local stores.

[quote name='chickenhawk']I can't believe people are still finding this for a penny. I would think everywhere but maybe Kmart would have found out the problem by now. I haven't even bothered looing anywhere but Kmart cause I assumed it would be dead already. I might have to check this out later today at my local stores.[/QUOTE]

I just skimmed the thread, and didn't see anyone report actually finding it for a penny. Did I miss that post?

[quote name='guessed']I just skimmed the thread, and didn't see anyone report actually finding it for a penny. Did I miss that post?[/QUOTE]

Early on a couple people did (TRU employees?), but it seems the most luck is at BB for $9.99. Makes sense as that price is less likely to cause the cashier to take any notice. I'm actually just going to be observing how long it takes my store to figure out the problem, seeing as how the floor associate who scanned it for me never made any attempt to fix it.

I'll look at Kmart again one of these days, maybe this weekend, just to see if they actually have it out yet, but by this time I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it before displaying it.

[quote name='botticus']
I'll look at Kmart again one of these days, maybe this weekend, just to see if they actually have it out yet, but by this time I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it before displaying it.[/QUOTE]

Why?

At most K-Mart's I've been to, they just throw the game in the case without any sort of price tag on it at all... how would they catch this deal is they don't even go to make a price tag for it in the first place :p

Like I said earlier, the K-Mart's I checked got in the new Harvest Moon for GBA, but not for GC, so I don't know what the deal is.

[quote name='botticus']Early on a couple people did (TRU employees?), but it seems the most luck is at BB for $9.99. Makes sense as that price is less likely to cause the cashier to take any notice. I'm actually just going to be observing how long it takes my store to figure out the problem, seeing as how the floor associate who scanned it for me never made any attempt to fix it.

I'll look at Kmart again one of these days, maybe this weekend, just to see if they actually have it out yet, but by this time I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it before displaying it.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much so I assumed that io got it for a penny at Best Buy. I didn't realize it was ringing up $9.99 there. Still worth a look though.

I stopped by a Toys R Us and brought Harvest Moon to the counter asking for a price check saying I heard the game was on sale. When it rang up at a penny the old lady working the register was in disbelief and went to ask her supervisor. The supervisor was talking to some guy who worked there, and said "Yeah, that just means it's being clearanced out, give it to him." Then the guy she was talking with was like "Hell, you should grab a bunch of copies."

"Yeah... I guess I should shouldn't I?" I replied. Grabbed 3 copies for .03 cents and left happily.

Anyone wanna trade?

Hell, I just noticed no one else in this thread has had my luck. I've been on vacation for 3 days, I figured everyone had been raping this deal.

[quote name='Roufuss']Why?

At most K-Mart's I've been to, they just throw the game in the case without any sort of price tag on it at all... how would they catch this deal is they don't even go to make a price tag for it in the first place :p

Like I said earlier, the K-Mart's I checked got in the new Harvest Moon for GBA, but not for GC, so I don't know what the deal is.[/QUOTE]

Haha, good point. Guess I should be a bit more optimistic.

[quote name='EndlessChris']Hell, I just noticed no one else in this thread has had my luck. I've been on vacation for 3 days, I figured everyone had been raping this deal.[/QUOTE]

Well, if my TRU ever stocks it, I will certainly give it a shot. Might as well stop by today on the way home, haven't checked for a week. Best Buy's been my only hit.

Today I went to in alphabetical order to check for the game, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Toys R Us, I forgot to check while I was in EB, but I'm sure they would be the hardest to slide this by. BB had the UPC covered up, as well as the GBA game, Target, TRU and CC had none as well.

[quote name='Roufuss']Why?

Like I said earlier, the K-Mart's I checked got in the new Harvest Moon for GBA, but not for GC, so I don't know what the deal is.[/QUOTE]

I found a copy at my K-Mart today & it rung up at $30 as it had a new UPC over the one on the case. Although my K-Mart actually has price tags on their games I agree with K-Mart being a good place to find a slip up like this & not having it fixed. I would even guess that the game was shipped to the store with the sticker over the UPC as it would sound like too much trouble for an employee at K-Mart to find this & actually fix it.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I found a copy at my K-Mart today & it rung up at $30 as it had a new UPC over the one on the case. Although my K-Mart actually has price tags on their games I agree with K-Mart being a good place to find a slip up like this & not having it fixed. I would even guess that the game was shipped to the store with the sticker over the UPC as it would sound like too much trouble for an employee at K-Mart to find this & actually fix it.[/QUOTE]

This could be why K-Mart had a delay in getting them, if it's true.

I'll check tonight.

Hollywood Video had it in their systems for a penny still, but the Gamecrazy employees knew something was wrong.

bread's done
Back