Humble Bundle Thread

The same as every other service (Origin, UPlay, etc) that came after Steam - they're way behind Steam, lacking the tons of features (Screenshot taking, Big Picture Mode, etc) and killer community that Steam already built-up.
Origin and Uplay both have a screenshot feature.

It's actually a good idea for a CAG to pick up a few games on Origin or UPlay so you can play them while you're idling games on Steam.

Zis is vhy I am a cunning evil cat dictator and you guys are not.

When I think of DRM, I think of the old days of needed to have a disc in the drive and dealing with SecureRom and StarForce screwing up your system and blocking out legitimate customers, or even having to deal with dongles, looking up random words in a huge manual or matching up symbols on a wheel in order to get past the first stage. All Steam requires is that you be online the first time you launch the game. Big Whoop.
Until Steam removes a game from your account that you legitimately paid for because a 3rd party merchant decides that it was priced incorrectly. Steam is Ultimate DRM -- all the code wheels and dongles in the world weren't able to straight up take your paid products away from you without recourse.

Yeah, theoretically I suppose, but I can't see that tactic holding up in a court of law.  Once a transaction has been completed and they've accepted your money, they have no legal right to take it back.  There are laws set up to protect the consumer in that regard.  In fact, if you are in a store and they have mispriced an item, and they discover the incorrect price during checkout, they are legally obliged to sell it to you for the lower price otherwise it could be construed as bait & switch tactics.

Yeah, theoretically I suppose, but I can't see that tactic holding up in a court of law. Once a transaction has been completed and they've accepted your money, they have no legal right to take it back. There are laws set up to protect the consumer in that regard. In fact, if you are in a store and they have mispriced an item, and they discover the incorrect price during checkout, they are legally obliged to sell it to you for the lower price otherwise it could be construed as bait & switch tactics.
When you aren't practicing law on CAG do you build spaceships?

Yeah, theoretically I suppose, but I can't see that tactic holding up in a court of law. Once a transaction has been completed and they've accepted your money, they have no legal right to take it back. There are laws set up to protect the consumer in that regard. In fact, if you are in a store and they have mispriced an item, and they discover the incorrect price during checkout, they are legally obliged to sell it to you for the lower price otherwise it could be construed as bait & switch tactics.
Tell that to GamersGate.

I said it could be construed as bait and switch.  Naturally online retailers will have a bit of leverage in this case, but I was primarily referring to brick and mortar retailers in that instance (note the words "in a store.")  There has never been a time when I was in a store and they misadvertised the price of an item and I threw that little tidbit of info at them and they sold it to me for the advertised price.  First time for me was in 1992 when I was 16, FYE had mispriced Turtles in Time for SNES for about $20 less than the real price.  Ahhh...the good ol' days.

I said it could be construed as bait and switch. Naturally online retailers will have a bit of leverage in this case, but I was primarily referring to brick and mortar retailers in that instance (note the words "in a store.") There has never been a time when I was in a store and they misadvertised the price of an item and I threw that little tidbit of info at them and they sold it to me for the advertised price. First time for me was in 1992 when I was 16, FYE had mispriced Turtles in Time for SNES for about $20 less than the real price. Ahhh...the good ol' days.
It's the same even if you go in store. They may still sell it to you at that price but they don't have to. I imagine if you find a huge price difference it won't be so easy to get them to sell it to you for that much.

Nice find on that TMNT game though, my younger self is so jealous.

Nice find on that TMNT game though, my younger self is so jealous.
Thanks. Imagine my disappointment, though, when it only took a half hour to play through it from start to finish. It's funny, back then it was disappointing to buy a really short game. Today, I'd give anything if games were shorter so I can be done with them and move onto the next one. :(

Yeah, theoretically I suppose, but I can't see that tactic holding up in a court of law. Once a transaction has been completed and they've accepted your money, they have no legal right to take it back.
They've done exactly this on at least two occasions: Warlock 2 and Lara Croft & Temple of Osiris, both times on the behalf of Gamersgate.

There's no arguing or debating if Steam is DRM. Of course they are -- they have the ultimate ability to remove your right to play your games. I'm not saying that Steam is terrible or not to use them but the DRM question is well settled.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've done exactly this on at least two occasions: Warlock 2 and Lara Croft & Temple of Osiris, both times on the behalf of Gamersgate.

There's no arguing or debating if Steam is DRM. Of course they are -- they have the ultimate ability to remove your right to play your games. I'm not saying that Steam is terrible or not to use them but the DRM question is well settled.
GOG also has the right to remove your games from your account, and you'd be screwed if you didn't download them before that happened.

GOG also has the right to remove your games from your account, and you'd be screwed if you didn't download them before that happened.
To me for all intents and purposes gog is drm for this reason. Only difference is the "client" is internet based. Truly drm free would email the game file to you or something so your game isn't tied to the company.

Not that I think that's necessary just for people who wear tin foil hats and are afraid what will happen if valve goes broke the same essentially applies to gog

wheel-mi2-resized.jpg

New Humble Books Bundle - Kids Comics:

• Axe Cop Vol. 1
  • Howtoons: [Re] Ignition Vol. 1
  • Build Your Own Website: A Comic Guide to HTML, CSS, and WordPress
  • Spaghetti is NOT a Finger Food (and Other Life Lessons)
  • Betty & Veronica's Princess Storybook
  • Uglydoll: Eat Dat!
  • Super Dinosaur, Vol. 1
  • The Incredible Plate Tectonics Comic: The Adventures of Geo
Beat the Average for:

• Maddy Kettle (Book 1): The Adventure of the Thimblewitch
  • Grown-ups, the World, and Me!
  • Monster on the Hill (Book 1)
  • Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai
  • The Stink Files, Dossier 001: The Postman Always Brings Mice
  • Skylanders Vol. 2: Champions
  • The Only Living Boy #1
Pay $15 or more for:

• The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, Book One: Spelling Trouble
  • The Lunch Witch
  • Lumberjanes Vol. 1

lol the top contributor list for it is pretty funny. I have one open where #10 paid $0.01. The bottom is now $6.06.

I also don't know why they included Skylanders Vol. 2 and not 1.

Why the fuck am I F5ing this bundle?
I don't know about you, but I did it because I'm seriously considering grabbing the BTA tier. I locked in a $4.18 BTA but actually paid a full $1 for the base tier because this looks like such a nice bundle.

Of course, I have a learning-to-read five-year-old at home and think many of these will be read to and by him.

New Humble Weekly Bundle - Indie Game Magazine:

• FarSky
  • Race the Sun
  • Arena: Cyber Evolution Founder's Pack (Early Access)
Beat the Average for:

• Fenix Rage
  • Wrack + Soundtrack
Pay $13 or more for:

• Brawlhalla - Founder's Pack (Early Access)
  • Freedom Planet + Soundtrack
FREE:

• Two issues of Indie Game Magazine

It's $13 or more, actually.

I don't see people here going for Freedom Planet since it was just in an Indie Gala...

If there's separate Steam keys for the Wrack / Freedom Planet OSTs, I might trade for those.

BTA is $3.20. No way am I getting the Freedom Planet OST for cheap now. :(

Edit: 3.04 Man did Humble not think this one through. Wrack and Freedom Planet have been absurdly cheap this last month...

Two FREE issues of Indie Game Magazine

We're giving away the April 2014 and April 2015 issues of IGM to celebrate their one-year anniversary since relaunching the magazine!
I don't even want the "magazine", let alone a year old issue.

BTA is $3.20. No way am I getting the Freedom Planet OST for cheap now. :(
Psst! Hey buddy. Wanna know how to get them for free with the game?

Open the games install folder and copy the BGM folder. The files are in .ogg format but free programs out there let you convert those into MP3 or Flaac or whatever.

You're welcome

Psst! Hey buddy. Wanna know how to get them for free with the game?
Open the games install folder and copy the BGM folder. The files are in .ogg format but free programs out there let you convert those into MP3 or Flaac or whatever.
You're welcome
PASTRY RODENT HAX.

...a pastry-themed rodent character would probably actually fit into that game, come to think of it.

bread's done
Back