Humble Bundle Thread

If you like FC knockoffs and haven't played Homefront: Revolution you are a traitor and I am reporting you to the White House.
Homefront: Revolution is good.....compared to Homefront....other than that it sux......it's not fit to shine Sam Fischer's Ninja Boots.....THERE I SAID IT....I didn't even mention the Terabytes it used when it was on my hard drive, as I don't want to give MysterD the Vapors.....

DA:Origins....not sure it's the difficulty of the combat that's bothering me, it's like this weird mashup of tactical, real-time, 3rd person, with bad AI pathing for my amigos....I dunno...just not really grabbing me...I like the lore and shit.....eh,

I tried moving on to Metal Gear Solid 1 on the PC, so I could run through that series....man, I don't think MGS 1 is my bag....

Last edited by a moderator:
Homefront : Revolution is better than any FC game ever made. The first Homefront was ok I guess.
y0k3Q.gif

I didn't like the Far Cry games but I liked Homefront : Revolution, so clearly anyone that disagrees is wrong and doesn't know anything.

90% of the reason that I even enjoyed Far Cry Philadelphia to begin with was probably the setting and atmosphere. I'm a sucker for alternate history storylines. If you took the same gameplay mechanics and AI and played everything out on a generic island, I would've stopped less than a quarter of the way through (which is exactly what happened with my FC3 playthrough).

Homefront: Revolution is good.....compared to Homefront....other than that it sux......it's not fit to shine Sam Fischer's Ninja Boots.....THERE I SAID IT....I didn't even mention the Terabytes it used when it was on my hard drive, as I don't want to give MysterD the Vapors.....
HR: TR Freedom Fighter Bundle takes up around 67 GB.

That is NOTHING compared to GR: Wildlands with the Year 1 Season Pass eating up around 74.7 GB.

EDIT:

DA:Origins....not sure it's the difficulty of the combat that's bothering me, it's like this weird mashup of tactical, real-time, 3rd person, with bad AI pathing for my amigos....I dunno...just not really grabbing me...I like the lore and shit.....eh
It's meant to be tactical. You're supposed to use the BioWare tactical pause a lot and order tactics on-the-fly to win battles.

DAO is basically a modern-day 3D CRPG like the BG series, minus the D&D license, and also using dark-fantasy themes (instead of more traditional D&D fantasy). If you don't like BioWare's BG style of gameplay and don't like dark-fantasy, it's possible DAO might not be your bag.

If you like FC knockoffs and haven't played Homefront: Revolution you are a traitor and I am reporting you to the White House.
Played it some during the free weekend. Probably already said this but the only two notable things it does well are the mod-able weapons and the yellow zones where it's more about stealth than straight up pew-pew. If the entire game took place in a yellow zone and it was more challenging then I'd say it's worth buying.

Of course I played it at a pleb 60 fps high settings. At 120 and ultra hair settings it would surely be a 12/10 GOTY.

90% of the reason that I even enjoyed Far Cry Philadelphia to begin with was probably the setting and atmosphere. I'm a sucker for alternate history storylines. If you took the same gameplay mechanics and AI and played everything out on a generic island, I would've stopped less than a quarter of the way through (which is exactly what happened with my FC3 playthrough).
The problem I had with the Homefront games is that the gunplay felt kinda shitty. Like I was squirting a ketchup bottle at the NK soldiers. Didn't really like it. I had more fun with the far cry weapon-play.

The problem I had with the Homefront games is that the gunplay felt kinda shitty. Like I was squirting a ketchup bottle at the NK soldiers. Didn't really like it. I had more fun with the far cry weapon-play.
The guns in HF:R are vastly superior than anything in any FC game. Everything, the shooting, scopes, feel, modding.

Nah.  Ancient evil threatening the kingdom, magic, renamed orcs and goblins, Good vs Evil, yadda yadda... it's basic High Fantasy 101.

Dark fantasy is usually horror themed or just deep into grimdark territory.  DA:O is just regular ole swords and sorcery.

I got distracted by the TV for a bit and when I came back I thought I was reading the Steam thread, only I realized it was way better. :beer:

Then I got depressed when I remembered I still had to go read the Steam thread.

DAO is basically a modern-day 3D CRPG like the BG series, minus the D&D license, and also somehow even more generic than traditional D&D-style fantasy.
Fixed.

You crazy, crazy person. DA:O is about as stock classic High Fantasy as it gets.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It doesn't succeed very well, but it certainly TRIES to be stupid grimdark. It tries hard, and it tries all over itself.

"No, seriously, [INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE], you should do this super petty thing that we're going to call evil for the sake of pretending we have some moral ambiguity even though all it'll do is mechanically gimp you and probably alienate half your party members because they're all whiny bitches but will otherwise barely affect the main story until the epilogue."

Punishing idiot characters for doing arbitrarily evil stuff just for the sake of doing dumb shit is the very root of D&D.

"As you sit at the table, the baron pours each of you a glass of brandy from a small cask on the table..."

"I dump my brandy on the table, use my mace to smash the cask and throw one of the candles on it to set the table ablaze"

"What?  Why?

"I'm Chaotic Evil!!!!!!!!!!"

Not really all that different from "I take the holy relic we've been questing a third of the game for and break it on the floor and piss on it because LOLevil"

Anyway, all that aside, I wasn't really suggesting that you set the combat on Easy because it's too hard, Mr. Sample, I was just thinking that if it's your least favorite part of the game at least it's also the most easily blown through.

Anyway, all that aside, I wasn't really suggesting that you set the combat on Easy because it's too hard, Mr. Sample, I was just thinking that if it's your least favorite part of the game at least it's also the most easily blown through.
YES YOU WERE, YOU WERE IMPUGNING MY PLAYING ABILITY AND MY MANHOOD!!!

<Takes candle off table and sets bartender ablaze, followed by running the serving wench through....he then jumps out a window screaming "I'm not Evil, I'm a MURDERHOBO!!!!!!>

I was on console when I played it and I dropped the difficulty down to easy as it was pretty easy to tell that the game design was done with only PC in mind. Which was true. DA:O was only coming out on PC till EA bought Bioware. (EA "requested" a console port to start trying to make money back on their deal... Which now that I think about. They'll likely never break even on that deal.)

Anyhow, combat was pretty brutal and clunky on controller. And like I've said before... I've never viewed Bioware games as something I play for game play. The mechanics are always just a means to an end. And in Bioware's case it's the story.

Dragon Age is not the typical high fantasy of D&D. It's darker but not with horror but a high emphasis on opression, slavery, and well other dark stuff that would be spoilers.

Also not truly generic... It's got all the normal stuff you expect but changed up enough to stand on its own.

Lastly, and really the only part directed at syntax, both of your D&D alignment examples would fall under chaotic neutral.

Both would fall under "Chaotic Stupid"; an all too common alignment type   :lol:

Also, don't get me wrong.  I love DA:O.  Each time it comes up I have to talk myself out of starting another game because I'll spend another 70 hours on it.  But it really is stock High Fantasy stuff.  Dragonlance had the whole slaves and half-elves as second class citizens and all that (including dwarf castes).  AD&D had slavery in numerous campaigns (most notably, Scourge of the Slave Lords, go figure).  In DA:O you have elves living in a human city ghetto, in DL the displaced wood elves live in hobo-slums in the high elf city.  The whole "untrusted mages required to belong to a regulatory organization" is again straight out of Dragonlance with its towers and renegade mages.  I'll note here that Dragonlance itself was literally an AD&D game written down and fleshed out a bit in narrative.

Ancient evil wakes up, only a select hero can stop it.  Round up a band of racially diverse (in a fantasy sense) characters to go adventuring, killing a bunch of goblin and orc stand-ins and exploring ruins and dungeons until you're ready to fight the dragon.  You can do nominally evil stuff but it's pretty much always detrimental to your end goal because there's a clear Good vs Evil paradigm going.  Enthusiastically noble knight, gruff dwarf, shady wizard, wise cleric and other standard tropes abound.  Add in a deposed king for flavor.

DA:O is impressive in that it manages to tell an interesting story with interesting characters despite being really generic stuff.  But it wasn't testing any new boundaries in the world of fantasy.  It's pretty much a classic AD&D campaign with a slightly different rule set.

DA:O is impressive in that it manages to tell an interesting story with interesting characters despite being really generic stuff. But it wasn't testing any new boundaries in the world of fantasy. It's pretty much a classic AD&D campaign with a slightly different rule set.
In a sense that's what it really was set out to do. It was designed to be a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Good point on the Dragonlance comparisons, I view it as different but can see why others don't. It's all variations on the same, or nearly same, set of themes. Maybe I've read too much fantasy cap in my life to view as being a cut above generic? (The crazy thing is I don't think I could make it through a fantasy novel now, let alone a series, to save my life.)

As for trying to avoid the trap of a 70 hour run through... I understand it. 70 hours would likely take me a month and a half to two months to get through so that's a horrible idea... I haven't played the Witcher games but I feel DAO does more with your decision than other game. It's what ME was suppose to be over 3 games.

(I fully realize that the Witcher might do it all better, which is why I listed that I've never played them.)

Chaotic Stupid, I don't temember which DMG it was added, or if they kept the suggestion in future rules, but I can remember reading about how it was suggested that no player characters be chaotic neutral do to their unpredictable nature and how they could (and rightfully so) fuck up the DM's plans.

(I fully realize that the Witcher might do it all better, which is why I listed that I've never played them.)

Chaotic Stupid, I don't temember which DMG it was added, or if they kept the suggestion in future rules, but I can remember reading about how it was suggested that no player characters be chaotic neutral do to their unpredictable nature and how they could (and rightfully so) fuck up the DM's plans.
Witcher would be a much better example of dark fantasy. Both in moral ambiguity and because it just fucks with you. In DA:O you have possessed kid and want to find a way to save him and his mother and rescue his father from a coma. The obvious Best Solution ends with the kid and mother alive and dad waking up to assist you. In The Witcher, you'd drive the demon out of the kid and find out that the demon was actually the only thing keeping the psychopathic boy from murdering his father. Then you'd bang his mom because of course you would.

Chaotic neutral ideology can be "intelligently" played without much trouble:

Chaos Emphasis: The ability to make your own choices without oppression my law or regulation is paramount and "good" or "evil" are only tools to be used as needed to ensure that freedom is achieved.

Neutrality emphasis: The balance between good and evil is best achieved by providing each creature with the freedom and liberty to make their own choices. When each can do as their nature leads, the balance between good and evil will work itself out naturally.

The issue is that too many people use it as "I'm zany and do craaaaaaazzzzzy stuff randomly because lol chaotic neutral!"

When they dislike DA:O and you have to set them straight
No, this is about the classification of DA:O on the fantasy spectrum. Much, much nerdier than you imply.

Was kind of hoping there'd be a Dragon Age bundle to make this conversation relevant, but we got Humble Capcom x Sega Playstation Bundle. Worth noting that everything unlocks with a single key.

PWYW:

Dead Rising - PS4

Dustforce - PSVita

Crazy Taxi - PS3

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz - PSVita

BTA:

Resident Evil HD REMASTER - PS4

Mega Man Legacy Collection - PS4

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - PS4

Sonic Generation - PS3

Binary Domain - PS3

Alien: Isolation - PS4

$15:

Dead Rising 2 - PS4

Vakyria Chronicles Remasterd - PS4

Bizarre that you get credit if you have a monthly subscription at the highest tier here, but not for the Strategy bundle.

Hmmmmm, want VC1 for the PS4 since it's cheaper than buying used from GS, but already have it for the PC.

The other games are eh for me, but since they'd come with the $15 tier, it'd be a bonus.

Humble Capcom X SEGA Playstation Bundle

$1

• PS4 - Dead Rising
  • PS Vita - Dustforce
  • PS3 - Crazy Taxi
  • PS Vita - Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
BTA

• PS4 - Resident Evil HD Remaster
  • PS4 - Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • PS4 - Resident Evil Code Veronica X
  • PS3 - Sonic Generations
  • PS3 - Binary Domain
  • PS4 - Alien: Isolation
$15

• PS4 - Dead Rising 2
  • PS4 - Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • $2 Humble Wallet for monthly subscribers

Mostly games from previous generations upscaled to new systems. Don't buy it on principle alone.

Am I to assume Alien Isolation is only the base game; not the collection?
Just the base game. Do you not own it on PS3 or Steam yet? Because graphics will always improve, so you can get it for PS5 and PS6 and whatever else the apologists justify for rebuying the same games over and over. Maybe you can even be Ripley via the neural network on PS8. The possibilities are endless when you encourage companies to rehash old games for new systems. Can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi on my Spielberg machine in a dystopian future.

Just the base game. Do you not own it on PS3 or Steam yet? Because graphics will always improve, so you can get it for PS5 and PS6 and whatever else the apologists justify for rebuying the same games over and over. Maybe you can even be Ripley via the neural network on PS8. The possibilities are endless when you encourage companies to rehash old games for new systems. Can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi on my Spielberg machine in a dystopian future.
there is also a thread just for that humble bundle, in case you wanted to rant in another thread.

there is also a thread just for that humble bundle, in case you wanted to rant in another thread.
Thanks, on it.

Now to wait for the arguments about how it's always a good thing to buy 4 ports of RE1 from consumerism apologists that I won't read.

Nice, I paid the $15 for all those, I don’t usually buy any digital stuff so when these bundles are available I generally don’t have any of the stuff in them. Seems like a good deal for people like me I’d say.

Code Veronica X is actually worse on ps4 than ps3. ps4 version = ps2 game emulated. ps3 version = hd remaster. it's not a great remaster, but better than ps2 emulation on a ps4.
Thanks for the heads up. It was one of the few games in the bundle I would have been interested in. Only ever played the Dreamcast version before all the extras.

Everything else I either own on PS4 or Steam. And they probably came from previous bundles.

I was on console when I played it and I dropped the difficulty down to easy as it was pretty easy to tell that the game design was done with only PC in mind. Which was true. DA:O was only coming out on PC till EA bought Bioware. (EA "requested" a console port to start trying to make money back on their deal... Which now that I think about. They'll likely never break even on that deal.)

Anyhow, combat was pretty brutal and clunky on controller. And like I've said before... I've never viewed Bioware games as something I play for game play. The mechanics are always just a means to an end. And in Bioware's case it's the story.

Dragon Age is not the typical high fantasy of D&D. It's darker but not with horror but a high emphasis on opression, slavery, and well other dark stuff that would be spoilers.

Also not truly generic... It's got all the normal stuff you expect but changed up enough to stand on its own.

Lastly, and really the only part directed at syntax, both of your D&D alignment examples would fall under chaotic neutral.
Since we're figuring out what DAO lands under, would it be fair to call it a mix of some High Fantasy and some Dark Fantasy?

bread's done
Back