Humble Bundle Thread

Hey, can you advise me on something. Comics confuse the fandangle out of me. I have little to no experience. I would really appreciate it (from you or anyone else)

1) Does this bundle have everything released for the walking dead to date?

2) How can I read it? What are the best ways to read it?

3) Is it possible to get this in physical book form. Maybe a season a book?

4) I read one episode and I really liked it. It's the only show that I watch on TV... I don't watch too much TV.

Anything else anyone wants to tell me I would greatly greatly appreciate it. I don't want to spend $20 on something that I would never use.
1) The only thing it's missing is a book that was already a PWYW book. It has a different team than the normal book, but you can get that here.

2) "Best way" to read is largely subjective. You'd get multiple digital file formats through humble - generally .pdf, .epub, and .cbz, at least one of which should work on whatever devices you have available. Larger tablets are generally the preferred way to read comics digitally but I'll often read them on a desktop and a lot of people swear by Kindles.

3) Yes, but you'd be paying a lot more and some of the specials/spin-offs may not be in them. The Walking Dead has "deluxe" omnibuses with about 24 issues in them (roughly 4 trades) and compendiums with 48 issues. I generally don't find books that large particularly pleasant to read, but compendiums are the best bang for your buck in physicial form. You'd then need to pick up things like Here's Negan separately...and possibly track down the Free Comic Book Day special if you want everything.

4) I only got about 2 seasons into the TV show before given up. While the shows are certainly thematically similar, plot points differ pretty greatly.

You could try buying the $1 tier - which still gets you a lot of comics - to see if it keeps your interest. Humble used to let you increase your payment a week after something closes and still allowed you to get the extras, but even if they still don't do that it would allow you to determine if you want to keep reading (and most libraries have Walking Dead comics).

Last edited by a moderator:
1) The only thing it's missing is a book that was already a PWYW book. It has a different team than the normal book, but you can get that here.

2) "Best way" to read is largely subjective. You'd get multiple digital file formats through humble - generally .pdf, .epub, and .cbz, at least one of which should work on whatever devices you have available. Larger tablets are generally the preferred way to read comics digitally but I'll often read them on a desktop and a lot of people swear by Kindles.

3) Yes, but you'd be paying a lot more and some of the specials/spin-offs may not be in them. The Walking Dead has "deluxe" omnibuses with about 24 issues in them (roughly 4 trades) and compendiums with 48 issues. I generally don't find books that large particularly pleasant to read, but compendiums are the best bang for your buck in physicial form. You'd then need to pick up things like Here's Negan separately...and possibly track down the Free Comic Book Day special if you want everything.

4) I only got about 2 seasons into the TV show before given up. While the shows are certainly thematically similar, plot points differ pretty greatly.

You could try buying the $1 tier - which still gets you a lot of comics - to see if it keeps your interest. Humble used to let you increase your payment a week after something closes and still allowed you to get the extras, but even if they still don't do that it would allow you to determine if you want to keep reading (and most libraries have Walking Dead comics).
Thank you so much for this info.

Thank you so much for this info.
This is a great deal. You're not going to find a way to get the whole series cheaper. I own some of the physical stuff. If you do go physical your best bet would probably be the trade paperbacks. I own all the compendiums and they are a little difficult to read being so bulky so I wouldn't necessarily recommend those.

If you are gonna read digitally on Android I recommend Perfect Viewer for a comic reader. I purchased this bundle and also realized I had purchased a Transformers comics bundle from Humble a while back as well and never read them.

Just to round out the recommendations, if you intend to read on an iPad, my favorite free iOS app for DRM-free comics is SideBooks. It doesn't have the most attractive interface, but it's pretty easy to keep your comics organized, it's got a nice page turning animation if you're into that, and most importantly, it has all the features you might want for reading comics—most notably the ability to offset the pages by one (using the "has cover" toggle) in order to make sure those double page spreads display correctly no matter how the person who compiled the comic put it together. That might seem trivial, but I've tried some more widely recommended applications that couldn't do that, even on desktops.

I always use the Comixology app to read.  I like their interface best, though it can be sluggish.  I'll have to see if it lets you read non-Comixology books.

While the shows are certainly thematically similar, plot points differ pretty greatly.
Errr, they're definitely more than thematically similar. Most of the broad strokes plot outlines and events are adapted, most of the characters and locations are adapted, there's just quite a lot of points that diverge and it's adjusted accordingly. It's an unfaithful adaptation, for sure.

Errr, they're definitely more than thematically similar. Most of the broad strokes plot outlines and events are adapted, most of the characters and locations are adapted, there's just quite a lot of points that diverge and it's adjusted accordingly. It's an unfaithful adaptation, for sure.
I mean the most popular character doesn't even exist in the comic book series. That's more than just an unfaithful adaption.

I mean the most popular character doesn't even exist in the comic book series. That's more than just an unfaithful adaption.
That's more just good market research. Some TV executive decided you needed someone actually likeable on the cast, bonus if he was also immortal to whatever Kirkman would cook up.

The Humble Asmodee Digital Play With Friends bundle will end today.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/asmodee-play-with-friends?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

$1 is a great value if you don't have any of these games. The other tiers are mostly DLC.
The smallworlds game is a fantastic improvement on Risk with a ton of replayability due to randomized races and special abilities which can be combined differently every time you play.

Because the game is structured such that every player sees the same view of everything in the game, the digital version supports pass-the-controller play and would therefore also work on Zoom, etc.

I bought the $1 tier and another to give as a gift. I'm tempted to buy a third....

I highly recommend getting the Small World DLC as well. It provides a decent amount more variety to the race/power combinations. I like how deterministic a lot of the combat is, other than the final battle each turn. A fun game and plays relatively quickly.

I highly recommend getting the Small World DLC as well. It provides a decent amount more variety to the race/power combinations. I like how deterministic a lot of the combat is, other than the final battle each turn. A fun game and plays relatively quickly.
Good call. I'm going to switch to the $12 tier now.

The Humble Indie Bundle 21 ends in less than 24 hours.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/humble-indie-bundle-21?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_2_layout_type_twos_tile_index_1_c_hib21

I'm surprised that the beat the average price hasn't yet reached $6 (as of the time that I'm posting this), and for $6, it isn't a bad buy.
My guess is that it's because all the middle tier games are included in MS game pass.

I like how Green Cities was just free on consoles and not PC but somehow ends up in this bundle.
In any case, Cities Skylines is at EOL and this bundle doesn't even include all the expacs, so pass.

The Devolver Build Your Own Bundle that just got added on the Humble Store is pretty solid, especially with how many of the games go under a dollar or to $1.50 after you hit the 90% off tier. 

The Devolver Build Your Own Bundle that just got added on the Humble Store is pretty solid, especially with how many of the games go under a dollar or to $1.50 after you hit the 90% off tier.
That is a great deal. GOG is also doing a Devolver "buy more save more" promo in their summer sale, but the discounts aren't as good. Maybe there will be a similar bundle/complete-the-set deal for select Devolver games in the Steam summer sale? I'd rather use Steambux but skipping the Humble BYOB would be a gamble.

Anyway, I'm eyeing Broforce, Hotline Miami 2, Noct, Stories Untold, and Strafe for $6.49 total. Total bundle sacrifice trap. You can all thank me when they're in the upcoming Hamble Devolver 2020 Bundle.

Yeah. The duplication this month made for some awkward choices. 
Horace was on Epic Game store for free.  Swords of Ditto and Heave Ho are on Twitch Prime for free.  Niche has been bundled twice. 

I probably should have skipped, but since I do like strategy games, I'm still ok with what I picked out of them.  Of course, only if you're still on Classic pricing.  I can't imagine how anyone in their right mind would pay $15 for 3 or $20 for 9 out of this mess. 

Dunno if I'm worse, as the day before I actually willingly said "Screw it" and ordered it.

Not sure why I did, but...I did. [shrug]

I guess it's b/c of Warsaw, Chess Ultra, and WH40K Gladius?

I dunno. [shrug]

Maybe some sleeper hits in here...? [shrug]

This was not an amazing month, namely b/c I already have XCOM 2 and JW: Evolution. If I had neither of those, this would've been a good month for me.

Thirded. Jurassic Park was the only one of those games that immediately interested me, but my computer doesn't meet the minimum specs. But I'm going to do my research and make the best of a bad situation...oops, I mean my choices.
Maybe this will help, if you mess w/ the config files?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fK6L3jPLzM

you know whats easier than watching a video about editing config files? Just doing a write up that people can copy and paste with instructions and read in about 15 seconds, god i hate how everything has to be a video now

/rant

you know whats easier than watching a video about editing config files? Just doing a write up that people can copy and paste with instructions and read in about 15 seconds, god i hate how everything has to be a video now

/rant
I especially hate it when trying to get the news. Pretty much why all mainstream news media websites are worthless now. Everything has to be a video.

Maybe this will help, if you mess w/ the config files?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fK6L3jPLzM
Thanks, MysterD. I know you're trying to help. But if you don't have a magic wand, I still don't think that my potato of an i3 is going to play Jurassic Park.

And before anyone else says something snide or snarky about me upgrading my PC, understand that (a) I'm not concerned about upgrading because I have enough stuff to play from the past 35 years of game collecting, (b) I have other things that I need to do with my money, and (c ) I just don't care.

Besides, I usually play Caveblazers, Nuclear Throne, and Spelunky and turn the damn thing off because it's time for bed. :oldman:

I especially hate it when trying to get the news. Pretty much why all mainstream news media websites are worthless now. Everything has to be a video.
A video embedded into a page of advertisements, with an extra ad or two tacked on to the start of the video.

Thanks, MysterD. I know you're trying to help. But if you don't have a magic wand, I still don't think that my potato of an i3 is going to play Jurassic Park.

And before anyone else says something snide or snarky about me upgrading my PC, understand that (a) I'm not concerned about upgrading because I have enough stuff to play from the past 35 years of game collecting, (b) I have other things that I need to do with my money, and (c) I just don't care.

Besides, I usually play Caveblazers, Nuclear Throne, and Spelunky and turn the damn thing off because it's time for bed. :oldman:
You're welcome.

To sum this up: basically, all you need to do is turn-down or turn-off through the config files these things AA [Anti-Aliasing] (hmmm, I wonder if it's using a high-end MSAA or SSAA here), Ambient Occlusion, Rain, Water, Shadows, and any of the fancy graphical stuff to get MUCH better performance.

Drop those settings in the Shadows Section to Low or 0, where necessary.

If you want to go further and tweak more, keep reading.

You could also drop texture quality down, if need be - drop it from High down to Medium or Low.

You could also lower resolution, if need be. Normally, I try to aim for 900p to 1080p at 60fps...or better. If it's older games (in which they weren't always trying for 60fps) and/or poorly coded games (Dark Souls: PTD Edition) - well, you might really be stuck w/ just aiming for 30fps in some cases.

If you're willing - you could try to go for 720p...or even lower. Might not look so hot at that, w/ such a newer title though.

If you're getting better performance (i.e. you hit 30fps to 60fps w/out hitches or drops) - you can probably go from there and tweak, turn on back some stuff and experiment...and see if you take enough performance hits, once you turn something back on. It a setting still runs okay to suit you when on - keep it. If it runs poorly - go back and disable it or turn it down.

You could always work in reverse too - go High...and then turn off stuff one by one. See once you get to a nice framerate at settings you are happy with - and just stop tweaking.

If you have a decent NVidia card or AMD card - you could always disable settings in the config files in-game...and then in turn do stuff via NVidia Control Panel or AMD Panel. You could always force FXAA (Fast Anti-Aliasing) through their respective panels for JW:E's profile (or globally, if you want to force FXAA on everything), as those don't offer much performance hits and can improve image quality still a bit.

[attachment=34092:20200530_222659.jpg]Need help and I'm not very tech savy on laptops.I would like to upgrade my ram to either 16gb or 32gb for my 2018 alienware 17 r5 and it currently has 8gb.What are some good recommendations and thanks in advance.

This is whats currently installed.

attachicon.gif
20200530_222659.jpgNeed help and I'm not very tech savy on laptops.I would like to upgrade my ram to either 16gb or 32gb for my 2018 alienware 17 r5 and it currently has 8gb.What are some good recommendations and thanks in advance.

This is whats currently installed.
Those are laptop SO-DIMM RAM sticks, which stands for "small outline dual inline memory module." Your RAM is 8GB DDR4 2400mhz, which is pretty standard for laptops. If you look up the product specifications on your laptop, you should be able to find out what the max RAM size is. If it's not listed, try looking up the motherboard model. This will detail the max RAM size and clock speed (the highest mhz it's compatible with).

You can buy another generic RAM stick that matches and have 2x 8GB DDR4 2400's for a total of 16GB. You'd need to do some research to make sure their cycle timing and CAS latency match up, but it's the cheapest option. Cycle time is the frequency at which commands can be sent, and CAS latency is the delay from sending the request to the data being presented. Keep in mind that faster RAM is trivial without an SSD. All of that info should also be available on Google.

You can also buy two completely new sticks from the same manufacturer. This will ensure maximum performance, since the two are theoretically identical and have the same everything. You could buy 2x 16GB for around $120 and get your 32GB.

Hell, you could even buy a 16GB and put that in there and have 24GB, but only 16GB will run in "flex mode." This means that 8GB from each RAM stick would communicate to increase speed and efficiency, and the remaining 8GB from the 16GB will perform tasks on its own. RAM isn't very proprietary, though recommended voltage could be different between the two.

I suggest going here and checking out some RAM: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=SO-DIMM

I have 2x G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB in my Lenovo Legion, FWIW. Put them in in March 2019 and they've been great. Never had any issues.

I'm trying to understand how a 2018 laptop branded for gaming (never mind Alienware is just a junky Dell with another label) only has 8 GB of RAM.

I'm trying to understand how a 2018 laptop branded for gaming (never mind Alienware is just a junky Dell with another label) only has 8 GB of RAM.
Alienware isn't the only one skimping on the RAM, these days. I check online at LaptopDeals on Reddit, Best Buy, Microcenter, WalMart's even - and they all are doing it.

I'm seeing lots of laptops from $700-1000 even just coming w/ 8 GB of RAM - namely b/c they're shooting for the newest (not cheap) & aiming for moon on the CPU (seeing lots of the new Intel i7 10xxx card, Ryzen 4xxx, and video card (6gb GTX 1660 or RTX 2060).

I figured we'd at least be seeing 10GB or 12 GB of RAM more often - yeah, I know, those are oddball numbers. Yeah, and often...I see games right now at 1080p hitting the 8gb to 12GB RAM usage all the time.

They probably figure most can just buy more RAM, open up the laptop, and stick it in themselves...since RAM's an easy & cheap upgrade anyways.

Alienware isn't the only one skimping on the RAM, these days. I check online at LaptopDeals on Reddit, Best Buy, Microcenter, WalMart's even - and they all are doing it.

I'm seeing lots of laptops from $700-1000 even just coming w/ 8 GB of RAM - namely b/c they're shooting for the newest (not cheap) & aiming for moon on the CPU (seeing lots of the new Intel i7 10xxx card, Ryzen 4xxx, and video card (6gb GTX 1660 or RTX 2060).

I figured we'd at least be seeing 10GB or 12 GB of RAM more often - yeah, I know, those are oddball numbers. Yeah, and often...I see games right now at 1080p hitting the 8gb to 12GB RAM usage all the time.

They probably figure most can just buy more RAM, open up the laptop, and stick it in themselves...since RAM's an easy & cheap upgrade anyways.
Yeah when I was looking for my new laptop I laughed at how much they wanted for them with how pitiful the amount of ram was. I'm very happy with the 20gb ram one I got from bj's for around 400.

bread's done
Back