Humble Bundle Thread

The problem with ads (besides them being annoying) is that they are potential vector for malware. Putting adblock on my mother-in-law's PC means I don't have to clear off some crapware every few months.
And a terrible CPU/RAM suck... I also hate blinking/animated junk on a page. I'm fine with static banner ads, RIP.

And a terrible CPU/RAM suck... I also hate blinking/animated junk on a page. I'm fine with static banner ads, RIP.
I hate the ads that follow as you scroll down the page. Exceedingly distracting. I put a favorite site (not this one) on my whitelist and quickly had to pull it off due to that crap.

Oh, nice.

The books are available in multiple formats: pdf, EPUB, cbr and cbz.  Reading comics in pdf kinda sucks.  It's really nice to see cbr and cbz.

I hate the ads that follow as you scroll down the page. Exceedingly distracting. I put a favorite site (not this one) on my whitelist and quickly had to pull it off due to that crap.
Or even the stupid toolbars (e.g. Wired.com)... Adblock Plus on Chrome makes it fairly simple to blacklist that crap, as well as none-shall-pass overlays (e.g. foreignpolicy.com)

Comic books, really? There's a market for this with people that actually have an income source? Interesting.
Comic book nerds are some of the people with the most disposable income, you know. It's a hobby that gets pretty expensive from what my father's close friend (a comic book store owner) tells me. My own dad was a big comic collector back in the day, but back then it was definitely a cheaper hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comic book nerds are some of the people with the most disposable income, you know. It's a hobby that gets pretty expensive from what my father's close friend (a comic book store owner) tells me. My own dad was a big comic collector back in the day, but back then it was definitely a cheaper hobby.
Everything back then was cheaper.

Interesting bundle, i have read a few of these comics and they are worth a read. The price is a little ridiculous for this set. Also i have emotionally dis-invested in the walking dead. I would be stupid to continue reading and hoping that this series is gonna end well, its not.

Issue 100 was the last i read, someone died (brutally) and a little piece of me died with it.  I stopped watching the show too, i'm not saying it's bad but i just didn't care for that version of the story. Not to mention i feel a few characters got miscast, i accept that is Robert Kirkman's directors cut version of his comic. Telltaie's games are also good, but most of you already know.

Excuse me i just made myself sad during all of this.

Obligitory

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjYWWDNZgas[/youtube]

Or even the stupid toolbars (e.g. Wired.com)... Adblock Plus on Chrome makes it fairly simple to blacklist that crap, as well as none-shall-pass overlays (e.g. foreignpolicy.com)
Huh. I need to figure out how to deal with that overlay on Firefox.

Comics don't just cost money. They take up space. Lots of space. Some time back I may have theoretically learned that they didn't necessarily have to when I found the comic book binary newsgroups and spent a few weeks (years?) following them.

They're much like PC games, really. Less-than-legit channels really pushed non-physical distribution before the industry caught on to the fact there was a major opportunity there.

Wish these linked to Comixology account and I'd be in.

Saga and Walking Dead are great. I own Lazarus(Comixology) but haven't read it and I've heard Chew is good.

I have only bought a few more expensive comics that I actually want to collect. If I just want to read I get them digitally and usually at a discount. Only ongoing series I read at release are Kick-Ass, Saga, and Walking Dead.

Huh. I need to figure out how to deal with that overlay on Firefox.
Well, the stupid overlays are invariably javascript. I sometimes use Chrome's inspect feature to figure them out (I use to just read the html... yuck.)

Here's a couple custom lines, that might help you get started figuring that out.

slate.com###sl-nbox

slate.com##.sl-nboxd

wired.com###post_nav

wired.com##.expanded

wired.com##.fixed

wired.com##.visible

www.cheapassgamer.com###google_ads_iframe_/1005053/970x90_NEW_CAG_0

You might consider figuring them out in chrome then adding those lines to Firefox's ABP.

I read morning glories, and it's a very interesting read. I'm not caught  up (only read through the 2nd TP) but do have the rest...heard the story goes really off the wall but guess I'll see. I've wanted to read Saga and want to read Chew but that price isn't too amazing....and would prefer the paperback versions (yes prefer physical copies strongly....).

What exactly do they mean by "Vol. 1" for these series? Are they talking about the first issue only? Or is it a collection of the first ten or so issues? If it's the latter, typically how many issues are we talking about?

What exactly do they mean by "Vol. 1" for these series? Are they talking about the first issue only? Or is it a collection of the first ten or so issues? If it's the latter, typically how many issues are we talking about?
A volume is a collection of issues. Usually 5 or 6 or so.

I strongly suspect they are the trade paperbacks containing a few issues such as the Lazarus one having 4 issues. The amount of issues varies for each TP.

I haven't been keeping up-to-day with the Humble Bundles as I used to.  Have they done a comic bundle in the past?  If so then I might start getting back to watching Humble Bundles.  I have been getting into comics the past few months and anytime I can snag cheap comics I tend to act upon it :)

Updated my original post with Goodreads and Amazon links:

New Humble Bundle - The Humble Image Comics Bundle:

BTA for:
Pay more than $15 for:

That would be why Humble is getting into ebooks and comics as a full-time thing.
Yeah I can understand that, seems like the kind of thing more people will be willing to buy and pay more for (and likely costs them less). The average usually seems to be higher on the past ones but it hasn't seemed to spike so sharply right off the bat.

I expect despite how ridiculous the tier is, having The Walking Dead in there at all is going to be very tempting for non-CAGs who have an interest in the bundle at all.  The more that buy-in for TWD, the higher the average gets.

I might penny in to see how the bonus week goes.

I haven't been keeping up-to-day with the Humble Bundles as I used to. Have they done a comic bundle in the past? If so then I might start getting back to watching Humble Bundles. I have been getting into comics the past few months and anytime I can snag cheap comics I tend to act upon it :)
This is the first. Starting next month they're going to have a new tab on the site for comics, ebooks, and audiobooks so keep an eye out for that. I'll be including those new bundles in the OP.

This is the first. Starting next month they're going to have a new tab on the site for comics, ebooks, and audiobooks so keep an eye out for that. I'll be including those new bundles in the OP.
"Humble will be launching a new tab on its site dedicated to ebooks, audio books and comics. That means that there will always be two bundles running simultaneously: a game or other media bundle on the front page and an ebook bundle on a separate tab."

maybe they replace weeklies with ebooks ;)

Sweet. This bundle is perfect for me. Typically I like reading the first edition of something, quickly lose interest, then say  fuck it, I'm just gonna skip to #20.

Fatale and Revival are very good, Rucka who writes Lazarus is a great writer, and I have heard fantastic things about Saga and Morning Glories.  Prepare to want to obtain the next volumes, though, and note that all of these books are ongoing.

And yes, these are the trade paperbacks of the volumes, which are the first 4 or so issues of the comics.

I locked in a 7ish price....guess I'll get these....been wanting to read Saga/Chew for a while. The only other TPs I regularly purchase are American Vampire and Morning Glories, though I may for the Walking Dead but have to read those massive 2 Compendiums before purchasing those.  

For anyone interested, I have the physicals on Morning Glory, Chew, and Saga. All 3 are AMAZING. If you don't have an issue reading on the screen pick them up! (Also, liking comics will help.)

Well... here's hoping the weekly is half-way decent.
38474651.jpg

Well, the stupid overlays are invariably javascript. I sometimes use Chrome's inspect feature to figure them out (I use to just read the html... yuck.)

Here's a couple custom lines, that might help you get started figuring that out.

slate.com###sl-nbox

slate.com##.sl-nboxd

wired.com###post_nav

wired.com##.expanded

wired.com##.fixed

wired.com##.visible

www.cheapassgamer.com###google_ads_iframe_/1005053/970x90_NEW_CAG_0

You might consider figuring them out in chrome then adding those lines to Firefox's ABP.
Getting rid of annoying as fuck overlays is the whole reason I taught myself about using my browser's console and inspecting elements and such.

I expect despite how ridiculous the tier is, having The Walking Dead in there at all is going to be very tempting for non-CAGs who have an interest in the bundle at all. The more that buy-in for TWD, the higher the average gets.

I might penny in to see how the bonus week goes.
The $15-tier was always a ploy to boost up the average price. This is probably the most blatant use of that tactic yet. :p

Well... here's hoping the weekly is half-way decent.
Well, the current Weekly is pretty good. So I expect a garbage one this Thursday, like usual.

Has anyone told Spoderman his Mom is in Saga? 
saga-the-stalk.jpg

In all seriousness though, Saga is kind of amazing; It's NC-17 Star Wars.

Well, seeing as how the average is now over 9 dollars, I kinda wish I didn't wait when I saw it around 6.  I thought 6 was a bit high and TWD only 5 bucks less than standard price on Amazon wouldn't drive up the average that much.  Guess I was wrong.  Might be in for the lower tier as I already have Saga anyway and I know very little about Chew and Revival. Hmm, hopefully the average drops over the next few days! lol

Yeah, a single 22 page issue can run you $3-5, which takes about 15 minutes to read.

It's why I only buy them when there are 99¢ sales. Also, Marvel has a service called "Marvel Unlimited" for $10/month or $70/year. It's like Netflix for comics. That's where I do 90% of my comics reading.

Yeah, a single 22 page issue can run you $3-5, which takes about 15 minutes to read.

It's why I only buy them when there are 99¢ sales. Also, Marvel has a service called "Marvel Unlimited" for $10/month or $70/year. It's like Netflix for comics. That's where I do 90% of my comics reading.
How far back do they go with the availability with Marvel Unlimited?

bread's done
Back