Humble Bundle Thread

Wow, whoever got in on the Sega BTA when it was less than $3 got a steal. Sonic Generations has to be one of the best recent Sonic games. Vikings is pretty good too especially since there aren't that many games based on them. There really should be with its fascinating mythology.

Everyone is going to have a personal spin on whether or not the SEGA bundle is good, but from the perspective of price vs game quality, I'd say it's pretty solid. Generations and Transformed are both excellent if you don't have them already. I'm buying into the upper tier and will have a nice collection of SEGA games to add to the kids' computer for around $3. Hard to argue with that.

I really enjoy the 3D Sonic games. I even found the Wii games to have some redeeming features, and those games are on rails. People will say "It's not as good as it used to be" but you were like 13 when you first started playing Sonic. You're not going to enjoy those games today if you didn't play them then.

Hmm, this is one of those rare times that I don't own anything in the BTA tier.  :whistle2:k

I've been waiting for that Sonic Collection to hit $7.50 again but it might not happen anytime soon. Amazon did have it for $11.xx this past weekend, but once you know it was cheaper it's difficult justify buying it until that price returns. I'm also really surprised I don't already own Empire: Total War by now. It seems like almost everyone already owns this.

I don't have Generations or COH2 from the BTA tier which was $3.28 for me.  Trying to decide if the additional $2.28 is worth it.

Hmm.  Just noticed I am missing Space Channel 5 from the Dreamcast Collection so I must have bought that one from Amazon when it was separate keys.  Now I have to decide if I want to waste the rest of the collection just to get SC.  Is it worthy of ownership at the expense of the other 3 games?

I really enjoy the 3D Sonic games. I even found the Wii games to have some redeeming features, and those games are on rails. People will say "It's not as good as it used to be" but you were like 13 when you first started playing Sonic. You're not going to enjoy those games today if you didn't play them then.
Even if you enjoy modern Sonic, it's not the same thing as the Genesis era ones at all. By the time Sonic Adventure came out, they completely forgot that there was any more unifying theme to the games than colorful mascots and running fast; but exploration, level design, and (to use a Yahtzee term) organic gameplay really defined the Genesis games even more than the speed, if you ask me; and none of those are really present (or at best are extremely limited in nature) in any of the post-Genesis Sonic games I've played, be they 3D or 2D.

And for the record, I never played Sonic 3 or Sonic CD until I was an adult, and I love those games. (Also I was like 6 when I first started playing Sonic.)

FTFY.

Well actually, it's about the same as most of the rest of the post-Genesis titles, insofar as any of them understand the series' identity, but I guess it's pretty decent for post-Genesis Sonic.
I really enjoyed Generations and I thought it was a good combination of the 2D stuff and the 3D stuff. It's one of the better Sonic games in recent memory imo.

I always find it funny when people try to make objective statements ("this sale/bundle sucks!") because of subjective reasons ("I have all the games already").

Yeah, since I already have Generations I'm sitting this one out. If anyone has an extra Empire TW for me to spoder I'll happily take it, though.
That's the only thing I already have from the BTA and below, so if no one else's already, I got you. Merry Leftover Turkey Testicle Tuesday!

objective statements ("this sale/bundle sucks!") because
ab1334141d.jpg

I'm going to vouch for Sonic Generations.  I do an annual blind race of some video game with a friend and he picked Sonic Generations + all red rings and challenges a couple of years back.  I won that race and went on to buy the game on Steam and 100% it again.  The gameplay feels tight and there's only one main level near the end that I'd really complain about the design of.  The side challenges are almost all too easy and overall I'd call them a waste of time, but hunting for the red rings in the main levels requires enough exploration and clever planning that I'd recommend looking for them.  There are a couple of time waster achievements ("play every stage in the special online ranked leaderboard mode because regular mode doesn't count"), so if you actually do plan to get 100% achievements, be aware that you're going to be doing some grinding.

Bottom line, there are very few modern games that I can honestly say I was willing to play through twice.  Sonic Generations is one of them.  If you don't have it, pick it up.

Thanks for the feedback, guys - I might actually dig this game out of my backlog and play it now! (Well, not right now, but sometime.)  At any rate I enjoyed Sonic Colors on the Wii, the little I played of it.

Sonic Generations sucks because it's different and I hate change. Nevermind it's tons of fun, looks amazing, and has awesome level designs, none of that matters.
Actually I thought it was kind of garbage even exclusive of the fact that it completely missed the point of the Genesis games. My rage with the change in direction of the series peaked with Sonic 4 Episode 1; since then I've gotten to the point where I can almost be objective about the series now.

Almost.

Actually I thought it was kind of garbage even exclusive of the fact that it completely missed the point of the Genesis games.
I bought the Genesis the week it came out in the U.S. I still own the console and all three (+Knuckles) original cartridges. I have the the console originals on several platforms.

I say this not to brag, but to show that I'm at least passingly familiar with the originals.

My question is... what do you mean by "missed the point of the Genesis games?" The best I can figure is that they are supposed to be tight and fast (to show off the prowess of the Genesis system) platformers with a bit of exploration and lots of racing/timing. Is that not what Generations does?

I bought the Genesis the week it came out in the U.S. I still own the console and all three (+Knuckles) original cartridges. I have the the console originals on several platforms.

I say this not to brag, but to show that I'm at least passingly familiar with the originals.

My question is... what do you mean by "missed the point of the Genesis games?" The best I can figure is that they are supposed to be tight and fast (to show off the prowess of the Genesis system) platformers with a bit of exploration and lots of racing/timing. Is that not what Generations does?
As I mentioned before, to me, the Genesis titles were almost more about the exploration, level design, and "organic" nature of the gameplay (which is essentially to say that you could pretty much make your decisions on the fly and the games would very rarely harshly punish you for that) than they were about the speed. The post-Genesis titles, even through Generations (I haven't tried Lost World or Boom), generally have more linear levels (to the point where some of them, like Colors, having large swathes of levels playing out as little more than glorified QTEs). The level design, even in Generations (which I'd agree has about the best of the lot), just isn't as good, and I really don't think they've ever gotten the hang of 3D platforming. And, in the modern games, you really can't just up and decide to switch gears in the middle of what you're doing. If you see something interesting in the Genesis games, you could almost always go back, look around, and try to find the way to get to it, even if that path is almost all the way back at the beginning of the level. In the post-Genesis games, including Generations, you really just have to start the level over. Similarly, if you screw something up, there's generally no way to do it again without restarting the level.

Even in the games where it does some or all of this stuff tolerably well, I can't shake the feeling that it all takes a back seat to the spectacle of speed, and that where solid gameplay might interfere with that speed it would be (and often is) sacrificed.

That's my experience, at least. I've never actually finished any post-Genesis Sonic game, to be fair; and while I like to think I'm relatively objective about the matters in question, I'm honest enough to admit that I'm certainly more subjective about it than I could be.

Last edited by a moderator:

The whole of my Sonic experience (only Sega console I've ever owned is a used Dreamcast I picked up at HPB for $10 a few years ago—not even sure if it works) is 45 seconds of the original, not being able to navigate the very first loop. I told my buddy, "fuck this, put Live back in".

Zero expectations for Generations.

That is exactly what happen to me...  (Minus the french.)  Was all excited to see what the big deal was with the game, my friend gave me the controller... and I IMMEDIATELY died...  He was like ---....  um....  Yea, let's play football.  (This was almost exactly what happened to me with Mario...  the first little goomba eats me up...)  

Platformers...  Ah.. forget it.  

To me Sonic has always been about going fast and semi-memorizing your way through levels so you can avoid traps without having to slow down, because if that happens the whole game sort of falls apart. I thought Generations accomplished this better than probably any Sonic game I've ever played (which is too many for how little I've enjoyed them, though I always wanted to). I don't know when the last time you played the Genesis games, but having played much of 3 just a month or two ago they aren't nearly as open and full of varying paths as you seem to think. Generations melded the old Sonic that usually worked, with the new ideas that basically destroyed the series into something I've enjoyed immensely. I'm sad you didn't like it, but clearly you can't please everyone.

Foxhack gave me a copy of the Balance of the Force pack from this week's weekly and that was the impetus I needed to start piddling around with Pinball FX2. It's fairly entertaining in short spurts, a bit like me. So I ponied up my $1, which means I now have an extra Balance of the Force pack and I'm also probably not redeeming the Excalibur or Mars tables. 

If anybody wants these, shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link. 

And gone!

And not entirely gone. 

Turns out I still have an extra Star Wars Balance of the Force pack, so it's still up for grabs. PM if you want/need/can't live without it. 

Really gone this time.

Hm. Odd that no one's posted about the weekly yet.

Humble Simulators 3

PWYW for 

Lunar Flight

Rescue - Everyday Heroes

Farming World

Post Master

Zoo Park

Pay $6 for

Cities in Motion 2

Car Mechanic Simulator 2014

Pay $10 for 

DoubleFine Space Ripoff

I think most or all of the $1 tier games have been in BundleStars bundles. Zoo Park is profoundly mediocre. I haven't gotten around to writing a proper review yet. 

This one looks awful. The double fine abandonware is the only thing that looks even slightly interesting. And yet, it's so hard to resist +5 steamcount for $1.

Lunar Flight([SIZE=14.3999996185303px] [/SIZE]http://store.steampowered.com/app/208600/)looks like a cool Occulus Rift game. Too bad I don't have one.

Also worth mentioning:

(NOTE: Spacebase DF-9 may not receive future updates.)

EDIT: copied Warreni's post and added links for the games

Humble Simulators 3

PWYW for 

Lunar Flight-   http://store.steampowered.com/app/208600/

Rescue - Everyday Heroes:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/253130/

Farming World: http://store.steampowered.com/app/277500/

Post Master: http://store.steampowered.com/app/275080/

Zoo Park: http://store.steampowered.com/app/307760/

Pay $6 for

Cities in Motion 2: http://store.steampowered.com/app/225420/?snr=1_7_15__13

Car Mechanic Simulator 2014: http://store.steampowered.com/app/270850/

Pay $10 for 

DoubleFine Space Ripoff(Spacebase DF-9):  http://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/

bread's done
Back