Humble Bundle Thread

Many of you might have "Spelldifter" on Steam, under it's previous name "Labyrinth". I think it was bundled.

of course, steam version wasn't updated in long time. But some of it at least is very similar still

egs-spelldrifter-freerangegames-g1a-01-1920x1080-e48a653fcdf3.jpg

ss_87722f512cd39ca1d178c05cc7d3bc3507ae6c35.jpg

Anyone know if Civ 6 is getting more Frontier Passes? DLC's? Expansions?
Most likely not based on them saying the April patch was the last free update.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CivGame/status/1381654635031588864
The wording of the tweet and the video differ slightly in that the video has them saying "final free update of the season" but at this point, you have to imagine they are experiencing diminishing returns on paid DLC (I mean it's rebundled again with most of the DLC with a 75% off discount on content, some of which is only a few months old). The game is almost 5 years old as well. Probably full steam ahead on the next XCOM or that Marvel game now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be thrown by the title -- looks like most of the games on sale still come with Steam keys.
Several of them are games I've gotten through Humble that have steam keys and drm free version you download from Humble.

Is Yakuza 3 and Paradise Killer enough for me to take this one, particularly since I'm burnt out on Yakuza games right now?

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

Is Yakuza 3 and Paradise Killer enough for me to take this one, particularly since I'm burnt out on Yakuza games right now?

I'll say this about Yakuza 3: As someone who played Yakuza Kiwami 2 about a month prior to jumping into Y3, I just couldn't get through it. I think it was less being burnt out on the series and more a matter of the gameplay having aged so poorly. It really does feel like the PS3-era game that it is. YMMV of course. I ended up skipping 3-5 and just watched the movies online so I could head straight to Y6 (which was fantastic). No ragrets.

Looks like a forthcoming Fanatical bundle in 2022.
Surge 1 n 2 are in the current fanatical "platinum collection" bundle.

Not a horrible July monthly anyway. 2-3 games in there I was interested in at least. Hammerting and Nimbatus, maybe Elderborn is good.

It's pretty mediocre by Humble standards which have been declining rapidly to the extent that I'm not sure the phrase 'Humble standards' means anything anymore.  Yakuza 3 is an extremely underwhelming headliner and those games are at least sold in the Fanatical storefront which suggests future inclusion in a Fanatical bundle.  As you mentioned Surge 2 is already in current 'higher tier' Fanatical bundles so within a few months or so it'll probably be in the 'pick 5 games for $3' bundles.  DIRT games are common Fanatical fodder.

The other stuff is also typical of Fanatical.  Elderborn looked interesting but after some digging I found out it is only about 2-3 hours in length.  I'll hold off on that, Hammerting, and Deadly Days for their eventual $0.60 cent devaluation while I pick through the 30+ games in my backlog.

There has been a clear shift in Humble the last several months where they are no longer making an effort and/or extending enough money to developers to put the higher quality indie games in their bundles.  At this point you are only paying an additional $5+ premium over Fanatical pricing for the Humble name brand.

I wanted Yakuza 3, but it looks like the remaster collection is not even a complete your collection bundle. And Dirt 5 looks like it has some dlc that may be bundled dirt cheap on fanatical if history repeats itself.

Paradise Killer I bought for Switch a bit ago. That is likely my only want, and it's a very low priority. Yakuza 3 is pretty weak honestly, and the insect games look pretty bad. SWINE may be a bit too basic for me, and I haven't played The Surge, so the sequel isn't too exciting. That first person slasher looks fun as well. So 2 games = likely a pause for the month. Already own ADOM, which is alright though I prefer the ASCII version a bit. Pretty bad bundle overall, though some games like Paradise Killer are likely gems. I played Yakuza 3 a while ago, and the story was a bit weak, but it's still Yakuza and I played the butchered PS3 version. Just pretty meh and a very likely pause.

If you're burned out on Yakuza games, then no. Out of all the "modern" Yakuza games you can play, the graphics and gameplay have aged the worst. Combat is so slow and takes a lot of upgrades for it to feel anything resembling the other games. That said, I still put like 70 or 80 hours into it last year. The story is one of the best, in my opinion, but I know fans are divided since it's so unlike the other games. Maybe take a break for a few months and come back if you're already feeling the fatigue. As good as the other games are, I don't think they would do anything better to combat those feelings. Yakuza 5 is very long and 6, while having a good story, has arguably the worst gameplay since 3.

The Platinum Fanatical bundle has similar games, but for $20 you only get 7 titles. That's what Fanatical bundles have been recently. This is $12 for 12 titles. It's objectively a much better value.

I totally agree that IGN ruined Humble, and that removing the charity sliders was a douchebag move on their part. But I only had one of these games, and that's because I bought the Fanatical bundle yesterday. If I had known, I would've chosen something else, and got to try 12 games for a buck apiece. Including Yakuza 3.

You guys shit on literally every Humble Monthly. Some of them have been good. I think this one is pretty good for a dollar per game. Saying every Humble sucks only devalues your opinions, lol.

Looks like a forthcoming Fanatical bundle in 2022.

This is the NOT AS GOOD AS THAT OTHER GAME bundle.

Yakuza 3 is 11 years old and hasn't aged real well. It's hardly anyone's favorite in the series. The Surge 2 is.... not as good as that other one.

Hammerting looks like it's in a genre I kinda like... but it's not as good as Craft the World.

Bee Sim isn't really a sim.

All the other games -- if you read up on them a bit -- are kind of problematic in some way. It's really representative of what they've been offering lately. It's either become much too difficult to put together a decent bundle lately, or they just don't care.

The Platinum Fanatical bundle has similar games, but for $20 you only get 7 titles. That's what Fanatical bundles have been recently. This is $12 for 12 titles. It's objectively a much better value.

I totally agree that IGN ruined Humble, and that removing the charity sliders was a douchebag move on their part. But I only had one of these games, and that's because I bought the Fanatical bundle yesterday. If I had known, I would've chosen something else, and got to try 12 games for a buck apiece. Including Yakuza 3.

You guys shit on literally every Humble Monthly. Some of them have been good. I think this one is pretty good for a dollar per game. Saying every Humble sucks only devalues your opinions, lol.
I'm not comparing it to the Platinum Bundles, but the $3-$5 Fanatical Bundles. Nearly every game you see in a Platinum Bundle eventually ends up in one of the lesser bundles. You can objectively track the decline of Humble over the last year. IGN clearly acquired it for the name and, instead of keeping up the higher standard of games, just stick in bottom-feeder trash. Yakuza 3 is hardly a big-name headliner.

If people thought it was good value you wouldn't constantly be seeing all of these coupons and promos coming from Humble to get more people to sub to the monthly. They are clearly losing subs which reflects the fact that people find less value in what is being offered.

The Platinum bundle has similar games, but for $20 you only get 7 titles. That's what Fanatical bundles have been recently. This is $12 for 12 titles. It's objectively a much better value.

You guys shit on literally every Humble Monthly. Some of them have been good. I think this one is pretty good for $12. Saying every Humble sucks only devalues your future opinions, lol.
I would usually agree but I think this is the first Humble Monthly/Choice I've ever shit on and I have no regrets placing it in my litter box and dropping a big ol' dookie on it. It's turrible.

There has been a clear shift in Humble the last several months where they are no longer making an effort and/or extending enough money to developers to put the higher quality indie games in their bundles. At this point you are only paying an additional $5+ premium over Fanatical pricing for the Humble name brand.
Headliners kinda suck this month, but you're 100% wrong about them not getting higher quality indie games. This version of ADOM is 6 years old and has never been bundled or under $8. Paradise Killer is a Seamus McNally Grand Prize finalist in the IGF this year.

Fanatical almost never gets indies at the quality level of a Seamus McNally finalist while Humble routinely does.

If you want another example of the lower quality of Fanatical games, just look at the threads on this forum. The Fanatical thread has barely any discussion while this thread gets semi-regular posts. Admittedly, a decent chunk of those posts are how much Humble sucks :)

This is the NOT AS GOOD AS THAT OTHER GAME bundle.

Yakuza 3 is 11 years old and hasn't aged real well. It's hardly anyone's favorite in the series. The Surge 2 is.... not as good as that other one.

Hammerting looks like it's in a genre I kinda like... but it's not as good as Craft the World.

Bee Sim isn't really a sim.

All the other games -- if you read up on them a bit -- are kind of problematic in some way. It's really representative of what they've been offering lately. It's either become much too difficult to put together a decent bundle lately, or they just don't care.
Beg to differ. Surge 2 is fantastic. Started the game to "try it" and managed to beat the game in 20 hours. Loved it. As I love Dark Souls.

If you want another example of the lower quality of Fanatical games, just look at the threads on this forum. The Fanatical thread has barely any discussion while this thread gets semi-regular posts. Admittedly, a decent chunk of those posts are how much Humble sucks :)
That’s mostly because Fanatical bundles tend to be composed of games that have been bundled before, so there’s less immediate interest. (And they’re usually discussed in the Steam thread since not a lot of people on CAG outside Steam thread regulars know what Fanatical even is). As somebody who usually doesn’t buy a game the first time it goes on a significant discount or gets bundled—since games that go on significant discount will usually reach those prices or cheaper again and bundled games will usually get bundled at lower tiers or in more appealing mixes later—I’ve bought far more Fanatical bundles than Humbles over the past three years or so. Humble just doesn’t often offer the same value or pop that it used to, and while even the best Fanatical bundles tend not to provoke much excitement, the ones that offer several games of interest tend to be exceptional value for money as long as you can wait on buying games until they get rebundled (or rerebundled, or...)

Headliners kinda suck this month, but you're 100% wrong about them not getting higher quality indie games. This version of ADOM is 6 years old and has never been bundled or under $8. Paradise Killer is a Seamus McNally Grand Prize finalist in the IGF this year.

Fanatical almost never gets indies at the quality level of a Seamus McNally finalist while Humble routinely does.
I'm trying to process whether or not this is sarcasm.

Edited to add: I will admit my strong disposition against all things animu and 2deep4u.

I think that's the other problem - the same games wind up in Humble Choice, Fanatical Bundles, PC/Xbox Game Pass, etc etc.

So, for us, who are often looking for new stuff, we've likely already bought it somewhere already or played it in Game Pass.

So... [shrug]

I know Mooby's not down with the 2deep4u games, but you have to admit that those games tend to be of a higher quality. Sure, many people might not consider those to be fun, but they do carry a level of prestige. Humble goes after award worthy games and Fanatical goes after solid B tier indies and major games.

Looking at the Seamus McNally finalists from the last 6 years that have been in a Humble bundle:

Paradise Killer

Eliza 

Slay the Spire 

A Short Hike 

Minit 

Opus Magnum 

Hypnospace Outlaw

Do Not Feed the Monkeys

Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy 

Into the Breach
Baba Is You

Quadrilateral Cowboy

Inside

Stardew Valley
Event 0
Hyper Light Drifter
Overcooked
Her Story
Darkest Dungeon
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Mini Metro
Superhot
Undertale

These are the SM finalists from the past 6 years that have been bundled by Fanatical:

Do Not Feed the Monkeys

Overcooked

I had to Google Seamus McNally.  I'll acknowledge some of those games are higher quality from a gameplay perspective (which, to me, is all that counts), but many are, IMO, vastly overrated because of narrative, 'artistic considerations,' Twitch hype, etc.  I expect Pudding Eating Simulator 3.0 will win the McNally prize in 2022.

Headliners kinda suck this month, but you're 100% wrong about them not getting higher quality indie games. This version of ADOM is 6 years old and has never been bundled or under $8.
TBF, ADOM is insanely niche. Not a lot of people want to play traditional roguelikes.

It's either become much too difficult to put together a decent bundle lately, or they just don't care.
It's the former. Microsoft (Game Pass), Epic (Thursday freebies), and I'd assume to some extent Nintendo (the Switch is an indie powerhouse) have all made it easier for some developers to avoid having to put their games in bundles for chump change.

I know Mooby's not down with the 2deep4u games, but you have to admit that those games tend to be of a higher quality. Sure, many people might not consider those to be fun, but they do carry a level of prestige. Humble goes after award worthy games and Fanatical goes after solid B tier indies and major games.

Looking at the Seamus McNally finalists from the last 6 years that have been in a Humble bundle:
Paradise Killer
Eliza
Slay the Spire
A Short Hike
Minit
Opus Magnum
Hypnospace Outlaw
Do Not Feed the Monkeys
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
Into the Breach

Baba Is You

Quadrilateral Cowboy
Inside

Stardew Valley

Event 0

Hyper Light Drifter

Overcooked
Her Story

Darkest Dungeon
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Mini Metro

Superhot

Undertale

These are the SM finalists from the past 6 years that have been bundled by Fanatical:
Do Not Feed the Monkeys
Overcooked
Hmm I feel like most of those same titles were in bundles on fanatical but they may have just been on sale individually.

bread's done
Back