Humble Bundle Thread

All of that doesn't address and sort of goes against my initial point though - that not even the people who are saying what ISN'T a roguelike can reach a real consensus on what IS one. As long as people keep making stipulations and excuses to discount this and that game, it's pretty difficult to take any of the criticism as serious or credible. It just comes off as yet another person with yet another set of rules for what a roguelike isn't.

All of that doesn't address and sort of goes against my initial point though - that not even the people who are saying what ISN'T a roguelike can reach a real consensus on what IS one. As long as people keep making stipulations and excuses to discount this and that game, it's pretty difficult to take any of the criticism as serious or credible. It just comes off as yet another person with yet another set of rules for what a roguelike isn't.
I’m not saying the concept of a roguelike hasn’t gotten confused in the past dozen years—but that’s largely because of people who didn’t really understand the term misapplying it to everything and anything. I’m saying that in these situations, where things have become nebulous, it’s best to look back at the origins and evolution of a term. What is Rogue? What games were called roguelikes before the term became vague? What sorts of games preceded roguelikes and lead to the development of the genre?

Rogue came out in 1980. In that 42 year history, the genre has primarily been defined by games like Moria, NetHack, Angband, ToME, and ADOM, at least until roughly a dozen years ago when games featuring permadeath and procedural generation as their only common feature with the games that came before became mainstream. Historically speaking, roguelikes are a subgenre of RPG. This isn’t a personal definition.

We also have to consider what constitutes a genre—as I’ve said before, it can’t be one or two gameplay elements that can be applied independently or together to any genre; there have to be enough distinguishing elements to make the category distinct from other genres, or else there’s no point in trying to distinguish between genres in the first place. To borrow a previously mentioned example, metroidvanias are probably most distinctive for featuring backtracking through previous areas, but that alone can’t define the genre, because any genre can feature backtracking. But the only things that unite every game that’s been labeled a roguelike in the past decade are permadeath and procedural generation, which are insufficient to define a genre. This is the reason the term roguelite started to get thrown around—as a way of categorizing these games that share only superficial similarities to the genre, but that don’t actually constitute a genre in themselves. It’s the same thing that happened when the term “RPG elements” started to get thrown around once everything started to adopt some form of leveling mechanics.

Am I actually saying that roguelikes are as tightly defined as I asserted earlier in the thread? Eh, kinda sorta. I was being half-sarcastic—half because that’s partially how I would actually define a roguelike, but sarcastic because I recognize that there’s no such thing as perfect consensus on the definition of any given word or phrase and no true definitive authority. Regardless of my personal definition, however, I think anyone who looks at the history of the term and fully considers what might define it as a genre would recognize that roguelikes are defined not merely by procedural generation and permadeath, but by their relationship to RPGs, keeping the player in the dark with each subsequent playthrough, and level-based exploration.

aiZHtVL.gif
FaRtaliTY u whippr, get bk to yur spnaking cag!!!

New Starlight/Disney Bundle Is Up:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/starlight-childrens-foundation-bundle

Note: All keys for STEAM.

$1 Tier:

- Star Wars: KOTOR 1

- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (a.k.a. Jedi Knight 3)

- Full Throttle Remastered

- Aliens v. Predator Collection [2010 Game with all DLC's]

BTA:

- Star Wars: KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords

- Aliens: Colonial Marines Collection (Base-Game & All DLC's)

- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

- Grim Fandango: Remastered

- Day of the Tentacle: Remastered

$10 Tier:

- Pinball FX3: Marvel Pinball: Season 1

- Pinball FX3: Marvel Pinball: Season 2

- Pinball FX3: The Last Jedi DLC

- Pinball FX3: Star Wars Pinball: Season 1

- LEGO: Star Wars: The Complete Saga

- LEGO: Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: The Ultimate Sith Edition

From what I've seen mentioned in a couple places, the keys for the Pinball FX3 packs don't give you the full seasons, but instead just individual sets from that season. Not sure if that's intentional but it's certainly not worded that way. Gonna wait to see if it gets fixed because that would be a whole bunch of tables I don't already have.

Fabulous bundle nonetheless.

Also if you buy one of these, always make sure to customize the donation amount when following any link from cag/wario/etc. The amount they give out to just people linking to a humble bundle is fucking ridiculous (in this case for 10$ top tier a link gets the link originator 1.50$ while the charity gets a measly 0.50$)

Also if you buy one of these, always make sure to customize the donation amount when following any link from cag/wario/etc. The amount they give out to just people linking to a humble bundle is fucking ridiculous (in this case for 10$ top tier a link gets the link originator 1.50$ while the charity gets a measly 0.50$)
One thing I always remember to do if I accidentally visit Humble through an affiliate link: About > Partners > Opt Out

I actually sort of hate posting links to bundles here for that reason.

From what I've seen mentioned in a couple places, the keys for the Pinball FX3 packs don't give you the full seasons, but instead just individual sets from that season. Not sure if that's intentional but it's certainly not worded that way. Gonna wait to see if it gets fixed because that would be a whole bunch of tables I don't already have.

Fabulous bundle nonetheless.
I can confirm that all three "season" keys didn't work for me. I owned a few games from each season thinking that I would get the pieces I am missing.....nope. Steam said I already own it and I couldn't redeem the season key. So the keys must be for particular games within each season. Not sure how they are going to handle this issue for me :/

Edit- Humble sent me individual keys for each game in the season, which worked out to be better as I still get the keys for the games I already owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the Humble monthly work? I'm considering picking up as I have interest in Forgive Me Father, Industria and Just Cause. If I "subscribe" for the month does that mean I just have to subscribe, redeem games, and then cancel so I don't instantly get charged for the october bundle as well come October 1st? Not really sure how it works if I just want the one month

How does the Humble monthly work? I'm considering picking up as I have interest in Forgive Me Father, Industria and Just Cause. If I "subscribe" for the month does that mean I just have to subscribe, redeem games, and then cancel so I don't instantly get charged for the october bundle as well come October 1st? Not really sure how it works if I just want the one month
You subscribe, get the games and can cancel after that but you might lose the store discount you get for subscribing for the month. Generally the subscription is auto billed the last tuesday of a month so you would have until October 25th before you are auto billed for October's choice games. New games are released on the first tuesday of the month.

TLDR, you get to see what the games are each month before you get billed for them.

No, you got it.

1. Subscribe to get the bundle.

2. Return to the Humble website before the auto-renewal, which is the last Tuesday of every month (probably because that's harder to remember)

3. Tell Humble a thousand times that you really want to unsubscribe

Note, you can instantly unsubscribe but you will lose all the fabulous benefits of subscribing.

You subscribe, get the games and can cancel after that but you might lose the store discount you get for subscribing for the month. Generally the subscription is auto billed the last tuesday of a month so you would have until October 25th before you are auto billed for October's choice games. New games are released on the first tuesday of the month.

TLDR, you get to see what the games are each month before you get billed for them.
No, you got it.

1. Subscribe to get the bundle.
2. Return to the Humble website before the auto-renewal, which is the last Tuesday of every month (probably because that's harder to remember)
3. Tell Humble a thousand times that you really want to unsubscribe

Note, you can instantly unsubscribe but you will lose all the fabulous benefits of subscribing.
Cool thank you both! Think I'll give it a go then! Wasn't sure if there were any issues since I'd not really be "subscribing" in the typical sense.

Might as well ask do you find the other benefits valuable? Might be worth hanging onto for a little bit of the month but really those benefits are mostly just an extra 5% or something off their store and access to the humble gamepass equivalent right?

The discount is up to 20% but it now takes a year of being actively subscribed with no breaks to keep that 20%. I think it starts now at 10% for 3 months and goes up from there to 20% after a year. It can be worth it if you buy enough games but it isn't a huge motivator otherwise. The trove or whatever of free games is ok but I've not bothered with their new app that is now required to access it.

Might as well ask do you find the other benefits valuable? Might be worth hanging onto for a little bit of the month but really those benefits are mostly just an extra 5% or something off their store and access to the humble gamepass equivalent right?
No, not at all. Though I rarely shop at Humble. But if I did, it wouldn't be worth subscribing to stuff I don't want for the small discount. I also don't think I've ever played one of the Humble games you have access to while active.

I used to buy more from Humble, simply because the old subs gave 20% off all the time and all time lows + 20% meant a pretty solid deal on a lot of stubbornly priced games.

Now, it's a rarity for me to consider them. 

Deals suck, likely a sign of the times.

I was interested in the monthly but didn't want to pay full price when Humble didn't offer me a coupon when I cancelled my sub, so we decided to play a game of chicken to see who would cave first.  Humble is weak willed and sent me a coupon for $8 for the bundle.  Great Success.

Serious Sam Humble Bundle (2022):

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/serious-sam-bundle

Notes: All Steam keys.

$1 Tier:

- Serious Sam Classics: Revolution

- Serious Sam: Double D XXL

- Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack

- Serious Sam: The Random Encounter

$10 Tier:

- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter

- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (base-game)

- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - Legend of the Beast DLC

- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter - Serious 8 DLC

- Serious Sam 2

- Serious Sam 3: BFE (base-game)

- Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile DLC

- Serious Sam 3: Bonus Content DLC

- Serious Sam's Bogus Detour

- I Hate Running Backwards

$20 Tier:

- Serious Sam 4 

- Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem (stand-alone expansion / side-game for Serious Sam 4)

- Serious Sam: Tormental

Missing $20 tier, some DLC and like 2 of the smaller games. Not sure if worth it for mainly $20 tier, but I might bite.

Serious Sam games tend to eventually hit 80-90% off deals.  I expect SS4 will be no exception especially given the lukewarm reception it got.  If by some remote chance someone doesn't own any of the SS games then the $10 tier is excellent value... and at that point one might as well pony up another $10 for SS4 which is a good price in isolation.

Serious Sam 4 was free from the Intel play pass thing a while back so I got it from there. Missing Tormental, Siberian mayhem, and kamikaze attack, but not worth it for just those

It’s that time of the month, folks. Pause or cancel your subs if you haven’t already and you’re gonna.
Reminded me to grab the TinyBuild bundle now that the middle dropped to $5. I wanted Wintermoore and $5 would be a record low, four other games, and one ... other (Hello Neighbor).

One of my Humble accounts popped the $4 off discount this morning. They ain't budging on the other one. Aaaaand...pause. :speaktothehand:
Interesting that one account got it and the other didn’t. I am assuming the account that didn’t get it has been more active with humble subscriptions while the other one hasn’t been and thus got a promo code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that one account got it and the other didn’t. I am assuming the account that didn’t get it has been more active with humble subscriptions while the other one hasn’t been and thus got a promo code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one that didn't get it received discount codes for at least two consecutive months, so maybe that's why.

Well, I finally screwed up and didn't skip, though I swear I did the day the latest Choice was announced. Maybe I didn't confirm it the required 50 times.

Trying my luck with support to get a refund, but it may be time for me to just cancel and hope I get an email offer to rejoin at a discounted price for something I actually want.

Well, I finally screwed up and didn't skip, though I swear I did the day the latest Choice was announced. Maybe I didn't confirm it the required 50 times.

Trying my luck with support to get a refund, but it may be time for me to just cancel and hope I get an email offer to rejoin at a discounted price for something I actually want.
Ditto. I swore I canceled like two weeks ago but I apparently didn't.

I’ve gotten into the habit of checking for the email notification they send when you pause your sub both immediately after I cancel to confirm that I really did make it through all of their confirmation screens, and again a day or so before the billing cycle just to make sure I’m not misremembering.

In the past, my go-to method for canceling was to just remove my CC on file. Would automatically unsubscribe me. Let me skip all the "Are you really really sure you want to cancel?" nonsense.

EDIT: Seems like it would still work:

s0Lrtcd.png

Only want Disciples out of that mainly since I have played and beaten both of those other games. They're good games though Deathloop was very repetitive by the time I beat it. Still was very decent.

Rumor going around for the October Choice headliners:

Deathloop

Disciples: Liberation

Monster Train
I was having a blast w/ Deathloop on Game Pass. If this comes to HC, that's an insta-buy for me.

Definitely down for Disciples Lib also.

I already own monster train but the other two are on my wishlist. I knew it was a matter of time before deathloop made it to one of these bundles. 

I knew I'd regret buying Disciples LIberation. Decent enough game but less than a year before it hits the monthly bundle. Deathloop seems interesting enough for the bundle price. Monster Train is my favorite game of the past 2 years easily. One of the best roguelike card games out there.

Rest of the bundle leaked via the SteelSeries website:

Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope (or Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX for APAC countries)

Maid of Sker

Railroad Corporation

Epic Chef

Golf Gang

bread's done
Back