Humble Indie Bundle #3 (5 indie games, pay what you want) - Starts 4/12 9:30am pst

Cantatus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
According to Kotaku, tomorrow will be the release of yet another Humble Indie pack. For those unaware, these are bundles of indie games, which are pay what you want. A portion of the proceeds go to charities, the developers or both.

The third bundle will launch 4/12 at 9:30am pst and will include:

(Video showing all games and instructions)

The first three games will be redeemable on Steam and are currently available there for $30 total.

The bundle will be available here: The Humble Indie Bundle

[quote name='Phokis']Picked it up just because I like Humble Indie Bundles. Seems a bit lighter than most, but it's out of season and developer specific, so they obviously just wanted a boost in funds to help Trine 2. And I'm ok with that.[/QUOTE]
Lighter in terms of less titles, yeah. However I'm kinda surprised. I considered all three of these (released games) bigger name titles, rather than being "indie". For that reason this one seems like just as big on savings.

[quote name='callmewoof']Wasn't able to give a lot, but was happy to give some. Glad to pick up Trine, the shadowground looks interesting too. Good deal all around, I like how they let YOU pick how to split up your donation. (I didn't give much to the FFE or whoever they were... hope thats not jerky of me. Never heard of them)[/QUOTE]
Heh, I personally wouldn't call you jerky for it. For "defending our digital rights" I have yet to hear of a single thing ever being done by these peeps. That's why I ended up giving 3/4 or so to Frozenbyte, with the remainder going to Child's Play. I love Penny Arcade, and unlike EFF I actually hear / read of the results benefiting others.

Just ordered one for my girlfriend and myself. Thanks for the notice, OP! I would have otherwise missed this incredible deal!

Played the Trine demo a couple months ago, great game, glad I'm finally able to get it at a great price (and with my money going towards a great cause).

[quote name='Lemarfanz']blech, not giving indie developers my money.

(not trolling.)[/QUOTE]

Eh???

[quote name='littlebigphallus']C'mon Windows users, donate more! $4.00 is a depressing average...[/QUOTE]

Wow, $4 is pathetic. Frankly $12 on Linux (the winner so far) is pathetic.

I'm thinking I'm doing $30, which in a way still seems like too little (especially since I'm giving like half to the EFF) so maybe I'll do more.

[quote name='Drclaw411']i never understood why this bundle makes people jizz. i mean yeah its a good deal but the way people talk about it youd think it was a pay what you want for any 5 games new and sealed at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Because I probably couldn't find five games at gamestop I'd actually want.

Oh, also, anyone who gets it and plays Jack Claw can you give me (and the rest of us) an idea of how it is in terms of quality and length. They say it is unfinished and that they probably never will finish it. I already have Trine and have zero interest in the Shadowgrounds games but will still probably throw a few bucks at the developers because I liked Trine so much.

I'm too ashamed to buy it for less than $20 but I can't do it now... so I won't. Do some people actually pay the minimum .01? That's shameful.

[quote name='Mad dog']I'm too ashamed to buy it for less than $20 but I can't do it now... so I won't. Do some people actually pay the minimum .01? That's shameful.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'd just pay what you can and later you can just buy one of their future games (like Trine 2) at full price or whatever. Or simply buy a copy of one of the bundle games in the future as a gift for someone. As long as your intentions are good it is better they get some money than nothing at all.

[quote name='Mad dog']I'm too ashamed to buy it for less than $20 but I can't do it now... so I won't. Do some people actually pay the minimum .01? That's shameful.[/QUOTE]

I feel bad for only paying $4 this time. I can't imagine paying $.01. Your taking money away from them at that point. The first 2 bundles I donated $20. This time I already own those games and don't have much money in my account at the moment. Will donate more once I do though.

I just got my March statement and got 0 points as well. Sucks because the 180 points I should have coming in would have given me just enough to buy Final Fight and Megaman 10 this week without having to go buy another MSP card.

[quote name='Mooby']Eh, I'd just pay what you can and later you can just buy one of their future games (like Trine 2) at full price or whatever. Or simply buy a copy of one of the bundle games in the future as a gift for someone. As long as your intentions are good it is better they get some money than nothing at all.[/QUOTE]

Okay... I bought for $10. I'm going to buy Trine 2 when it comes to XBLA too.

I already have all 3 released frozenbyte games.

Still going to throw a couple bucks to them though

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought! I've wanted Trine for a while, glad to know it's also helping charity!
Also the fact they give steam and onlive codes is really cool. These bundles are awesome!

In for $5. I consider mine a donation since I never play the games. I just like to support indie games since once in a while you get a AAA caliber game from them.

[quote name='jatan11t']I already have all 3 released frozenbyte games[/QUOTE]

Umm...good for you? Cool story bro.
How long do these deals usually last? I have Trine, threw in $5 to try out Shadowgrounds, too broke right now to do more. If it runs through the weekend I may buy again to give a bit more if I like SG.

[quote name='blitztwn36']Yeah - the EFF really hasn't been involved in any cases...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_litigation_involving_the_Electronic_Frontier_Foundation[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they've been involved with plenty of issues but until you brought up this link here I for one hadn't heard of any of it. I'm willing to bet the exact same could be said for the vast majority of people buying the HIB.

Could you go to their site, do some research and find out? Yeah. But in the meantime, most people won't have done that (I'll admit being guilty on this one) and will have no idea who these people are. As such I think my original point stands, and I'd hardly call it jerky to not be donating the money to them just out of ignorance alone. For that matter I think I'd rather be putting money towards kids in need anyway, since the EFF does seem to be running just fine considering its history of activity there.

[quote name='kitsunisan']Umm...good for you? Cool story bro.
How long do these deals usually last? I have Trine, threw in $5 to try out Shadowgrounds, too broke right now to do more. If it runs through the weekend I may buy again to give a bit more if I like SG.[/QUOTE]

According to the timer at the top of the page seems it'll be up for two weeks.

$5 from me for now, maybe more later since I won't get to these games for at least a month. Portal 2 in a week will suck up all my time until I fully beat everything in it.

Google checkout is having problems with orders under 30 cents, amazon won't accept an amount less than the recipient fee, and I don't have a paypal account. Will buy when Google checkout lets me pay 1 cent.

[quote name='Max_Payne22']Google checkout is having problems with orders under 30 cents, amazon won't accept an amount less than the recipient fee, and I don't have a paypal account. Will buy when Google checkout lets me pay 1 cent.[/QUOTE]

Now this, my friends is a cheap ASS gamer.

I bought the bundle. After I confirmed on Paypal, I went back to the Humble Page where this new window was which said it was waiting on Paypal. It never stopped trying to load that. Should it have gone forward and allowed me to download something? Or will a link be sent in email?

Edit: Nevermind. Links came in email.

Trilobyte isn't really any more indie than any other studio, but I can see there's tremendous value in clinging to that label. These HIB sales are proof.

is anyone having an issue running trine?

everything seemed to install fine but when i click the shortcut nothing happens.
I'm running windows 7

thanks

Ended up buying it for a dollar. Kinda short on cash and I wanted to gift my girlfriend the bundle as well. I'll probably buy another bundle on top of that next week when I get some cash. :/ feel kinda cheap paying only a dollar. Though I gave it all to childs play.

[quote name='Terlan']So anyone know if you pay a certain amount if you get the previous humble bundle? I missed it sadly :/[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know also

[quote name='RollingSkull']Trilobyte isn't really any more indie than any other studio, but I can see there's tremendous value in clinging to that label. These HIB sales are proof.[/QUOTE]

Ya these bundles are an incredibly effective marketing gimmick. They get a ton of free advertising and exposure. It's not all that different than an app dropping free for a day. They've already brought in a quarter of a million dollars in less than a day, with a big sum of that going to the developers. The concept is so effective it results in people on message boards trying to guilt trip others into spending more money. You don't ever see anyone trying to guilt trip a person into paying for an app that drops free for a day, and most of those are developed by true indies. Sure, its great that they are raising money for child's play, but its not like they aren't making a hefty profit at the same time. The bundle is not the amazing, pure and noble cause some people try and make it out to be. The only way I would personally consider it to be truly noble is if all profits went to charity. I don't view the developer of Trine, a pretty big title, as a charity.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']ah, classic indie guilt-trip sales tactics.[/QUOTE]

If I'm recalling correctly Trine was pretty expensive when it was first released. 30 or 40 bucks for PC and 20 for PS3. I actually bought it when it came out. The game initially got a ton of exposure. I don't really know what qualifies something as "indie", but I never thought of Trine that way. I remember it getting about the same exposure as Torchlight, at least initially. Incidentally, a sequel is scheduled to be released this summer I think. Getting as many people as possible to play the first one will be great for sales of the second.

They even list top "contributors" on the indie bundle page. A very effective $1500 dollar ad for on live atm, complete with the tagline "just play." They've already gotten at least 50,000 page views.

I actually am a fan of trine though, and definitely recommend it.

Yay, I love these bundles. And now that I'm learning C programming, I understand the work (more or less) that it takes to make these. Go Indie developers!

[quote name='caltab']Ya these bundles are an incredibly effective marketing gimmick. They get a ton of free advertising and exposure. It's not all that different than an app dropping free for a day. They've already brought in a quarter of a million dollars in less than a day, with a big sum of that going to the developers. The concept is so effective it results in people on message boards trying to guilt trip others into spending more money. You don't ever see anyone trying to guilt trip a person into paying for an app that drops free for a day, and most of those are developed by true indies. Sure, its great that they are raising money for child's play, but its not like they aren't making a hefty profit at the same time. The bundle is not the amazing, pure and noble cause some people try and make it out to be. The only way I would personally consider it to be truly noble is if all profits went to charity. I don't view the developer of Trine, a pretty big title, as a charity.[/QUOTE]

It is a great marketing gimmick. It's even better than an app being free for a day because they're still getting some money that they wouldn't have gotten without this. I would have never bought any of these games if it wasn't for this pack.

Jesus christ, why does everything gaming have to support Childs Play? It barely supports any hospitals...

I wish that they supported stuff like animal shelters and AIDS/Cancer stuff. I know plenty of gaming things did Play for Japan recently though

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Yay, I love these bundles. And now that I'm learning C programming, I understand the work (more or less) that it takes to make these. Go Indie developers![/QUOTE]

Just so you know, just as much if not more work goes into bigger games.

[quote name='Microshock']Jesus christ, why does everything gaming have to support Childs Play? It barely supports any hospitals...

I wish that they supported stuff like animal shelters and AIDS/Cancer stuff. I know plenty of gaming things did Play for Japan recently though[/QUOTE]

Well, seeing as how common cancer fundraising is, and it is one of the *largest* things to receive donations, I don't see a problem with people raising money for other issues.

I'll admit AIDS doesn't get enough recognition from a lot of people, but eh, honestly, the hospital thing is close to a lot of peoples hearts. People tend to donate to charities based on their personal experiences with the issues or it relates to a hobby they like. Having been hospitalized as a child, I was exposed to gaming *because* of the games available at the hospital, which is why I'm here today, so I donate to Childs Play a lot. I don't donate to every single disease fundraising campaign/animal shelter/etc. as most of them don't affect me. I know, selfish, but eh, it's human nature, and I'll admit it.

bread's done
Back