Hurricane Irene thread--She's gone...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm in MA, we've been having mild rain from the middle of the afternoon on. My best friend's in RI and hasn't had shit yet. I think she actually lives in a bizarro universe.[/QUOTE]
I'm in RI as well, and other than on and off rain since this afternoon there's been nothing...

Anyone actually head outside in this? The water actually feels really nice and warm. It's like almost warm shower-esque water.

In SE CT it's gusting to near 40 mph and steady rain. I lost power 30 minutes ago. I won't use the generator until my wife gets home. Shes an RN and pulled a double shift. Looking across the field to the East I can see a large tree that snapped. Many branches laying about but no structural damage to the house or barns.
A few more hours and at least the wind will fade. If it gets more interesting, I'll post a picture or two.
To those that are/were hit hard by Irene, hang in there and be safe.

In SE CT it's gusting to near 40 mph and steady rain. I lost power 30 minutes ago. I won't use the generator until my wife gets home. Shes an RN and pulled a double shift. Looking across the field to the East I can see a large tree that snapped. Many branches laying about but no structural damage to the house or barns.
A few more hours and at least the wind will fade. If it gets more interesting, I'll post a picture or two.
To those that are/were hit hard by Irene, hang in there and be safe.

Slightly windy and raining here in MA. It appears we lost power briefly at some point in the middle of the night (microwave and stove lights flashing), but it was back on when we woke up. So far, not bad.

Just got our power back on about an hour ago, so I guess we lost it for about 18 hours. I slept through most of it, so it was nice to catch up on some zzzz's. A few minor tree limbs down that I can see but nothing major.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So yeah... NOAA says a 10% or less chance of New England getting hurricane-force winds. And even then, they just updated, it seems, (been tracking throughout the day), to say that only CT and RI have a chance of hurricane-force winds at all. Meanwhile the local news is hyping it up as a Category 2. LOL. New England gets winds like this almost every year so I have no idea why everyone is panicking around here. NOAA has downgraded this quite a bit since even earlier today.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/210734.shtml?hwind120?large#contents

Just kinda pisses me off because we do our food shopping on the weekends and everything non-perishable is going to be picked clean at all the stores even though there is no need for it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting that link. It showed that the storm was going barely touch us, even though the news was hyping up the storm like it was the apocalypse and everyone was doomed. My elderly mother was a wreck because she thought she was going to lose her house after watching news for 2 days.

In the end we got some heavy rain, a little wind, and about an inch of water in the corner of the basement. Pretty much exactly what the radar image said.

Oh nice... because of a split-second flickering of the lights, our wireless router died. Awesome.

[quote name='Haggar']Thank you for posting that link. It showed that the storm was going barely touch us, even though the news was hyping up the storm like it was the apocalypse and everyone was doomed. My elderly mother was a wreck because she thought she was going to lose her house after watching news for 2 days.

In the end we got some heavy rain, a little wind, and about an inch of water in the corner of the basement. Pretty much exactly what the radar image said.[/QUOTE]

No problem dude. Just remember noaa.gov for future weather forecasts. More accurate that the local news without the bullshit hype. It's not always going to be 100% accurate (weather forecasts are like that due to their nature), but it will be more accurate than Mr. Dumbass on the local news.

Had some pretty heavy winds and a lot of rain in RVA yesterday and last night. The rain wasn't that hard, but it rained the whole day so it probably amounted. A billion leaves and branches fell in my yard, but no tress. I went around and took some pictures, I may upload them later. Also its really nice out right now :lol: it's like 80F and not humid, with a nice breeze.

I'm without power along with 75% of the people in my area. My generator died yesterday during the storm after 15 years of service and the power company is saying we might be without power for up to ten days. I'll likely lose everything in my fridge and freezer today.

One of our local power companies that serves around 5,000 customers reported on the radio this morning that they only have three (yes, three) customers who currently have power.

I went out this morning and there are dozens of trees down. I saw a few that had fallen into people's houses. Only damage to my house is a few shingles that got ripped off.

Think I might go fishing later today because there isn't anything to do but surf the internet on my phone.

[quote name='blindinglights']
One of our local power companies that serves around 5,000 customers reported on the radio this morning that they only have three (yes, three) customers who currently have power.
[/QUOTE]

:lol:

yeah, the power flickered last night but it wasn't even enough to shut down my Xbox (the TV went off though). That was the extent of it. There is a little water in my basement but no more than usual when it rains. I don't know... the entire thing was completely overblown.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Haven't lost power at all here. Probably going to go back to playing Deus Ex in a minute.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Projo.com said 1/3 of RI is currently without power. Boston.com says 130k customers are without power. It's because we're CAGs. ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Nice. Projo.com said 1/3 of RI is currently without power. Boston.com says 130k customers are without power. It's because we're CAGs. ;)[/QUOTE]
That 1/3 is probably all in places like South County and Foster/Glocester. Here in the city we've been completely fine.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That 1/3 is probably all in places like South County and Foster/Glocester. Here in the city we've been completely fine.[/QUOTE]

My friend is in Riverside. I wonder how she's doing- they haven't been online today.

Everything fine around King of Prussia, PA.

Well, everything is closed for some reason, but yeah, all is ok.

My gf and I went out at 7pm last night to find some dinner. It was raining, but I've definitely driven in way worse. I mean, I didn't even put my wipers on high. The ONLY place open was McDonalds. Oh well.

The storm wasn't really bad here at all. Just a normal rainstorm except it lasted for a good 14 hours or so. We got 3 and a half inches, but it's seriously like nothing happened outside, just the ground is wet and a few leaves on the ground.

Also power was going on and off for a second or two all day but besides that, nothing major. I expected much worse but well nothing.

It's been raining all day here. My cousin just got home and said half the city is blocked off, it took him an extra half hour to find streets that he could take to get here. Apparently some dams in the area have suffered significant damage, and they're expecting flooding to worsen overnight. Wind is picking up now, too.

Looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow!

Greenville, NC (Eastern, NC) here and we go hit hard... Irene moved at about 11 mph over NC while it moved at 27 mph today up past VA. (ie, we got more rain than most)

Here are a few pictures... lots of trees down and 100s of thousands without power. (all schools canceled, including East Carolina University)

irene-1.jpg

(near Dowdy Ficklen Stadium - football stadium for my ECU Pirates)

irene-nc.jpg

(friend of a friend posted this on FB - Irene as she closes in on North Carolina's beaches)

Check out of some of the damage here if you have time... crazy stuff.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150347905781760.395701.133877811759&type=1

[quote name='Maizrim']Greenville, NC (Eastern, NC) here and we go hit hard... Irene moved at about 11 mph over NC while it moved at 27 mph today up past VA. (ie, we got more rain than most)[/QUOTE]

It seemed like once it passed over NJ it picked up a lot of speed. It was moving over us at 16mph.

[quote name='goodbyetonight']700,000 in CT without power. For now, thankfully, I'm not one of them. What a disaster.[/QUOTE]

Heres the updated table. http://www.cl-p.com/outage/mobile.aspx 647k left. There are some spare 30mph winds for the next two hours and then everything should be safe.

You guys should see the photos on WTNH.com. Houses in East Haven literally flooded out, and I could have sworn I saw some houses floating from pictures in Vermont (!). I thought CT got it the worst in terms of power outages, which might be right, but Vermont was not able to handle any rain apparently.

I'm surrounded by downed trees and branches in Manchester, mainly branches as they already are working on picking up the trees. Luckily I'm off work Monday so I can spend a few hours outside cleaning up.

Even in Meriden there were a few people with trees on their houses, and a couple of streets closed due to flooding.

Was it worth the hype in CT? Really varies city by city, but some cities were hit pretty damn hard. If anything people should stay home or hit a shelter depending on what they are told to do, and get a damn sump pump if at all possible if your basement has EVER flooded.

Oh, and if at all possible use common sense! I saw a friggin' jogger out today during the high winds/rains when downed power lines were close by!

Heres some videos of the Vermont issues.

http://www.youtube.com/user/twtw123456789#p/u/0/1xPVD3VgS8A

On facebook WCAX-TV someone mentioned one of their favorite pizza place buildings literally went down the road with the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
thankfully i was one of the one's in CT who did not lose power...kinda bugged out considering if you drive about 12 blocks straight down it is flooded...if nothing else this storm has taught me how lucky i actually am

[quote name='Skooba81']thankfully i was one of the one's in CT who did not lose power...kinda bugged out considering if you drive about 12 blocks straight down it is flooded...if nothing else this storm has taught me how lucky i actually am[/QUOTE]

Same here, it never went out. So, so thankful right now. I keep looking at the outage map still though because it makes me feel better when I see others getting their power back on.

I ended up driving a 6 hour round trip to buy a replacement generator yesterday Everyone is still out of power in my area including all the stores. During the drive yesterday I drove under three different trees that were hanging across the road on power lines. I'm certain one of them was about 5 feet lower when I came back. I also saw a few trees laying into peoples' houses. Once I finally got to a gas station that had power, there were about 15 people in line for each pump. What a mess.

Comcast sucks COMPLETE ass. We lost power twice for a total of about 3 hours last night, from 7:30-10:30 PM. HOWEVER, the Internet has been out since about 2PM Sunday, and by the time we left for work this morning, it still wasn't up. Whenever we call we get an automated message, but it includes no ETA or anything. If it's not working tonight when we get home, we're calling again and speaking directly to a rep. This is insane. My friends in RI were out for ten hours and even their Internet is working, and they have Cox, which is considered to be even worse than Comcast. When we move to the house, we are defintely getting FIOS. Unfortunately Comcrap is the only option at our apt complex.

^ im one of them. im in bristol and we had some crazy winds, some floods but we didnt loose power once but good ole comcast was out for 2 days. it literally just came back on. id rather be without cable and internet though than not have power so im not complaining.

man listening to my fellow ct'ers bitch about comcast makes me thankful i have cablevision (never thought i would say that one!!) my net and cable stayed up during the storm...comcast is just too big for it's own good, their response time to any kind of problem is crap because so much info gets lost in their system...

[quote name='Skooba81']man listening to my fellow ct'ers bitch about comcast makes me thankful i have cablevision (never thought i would say that one!!) my net and cable stayed up during the storm...comcast is just too big for it's own good, their response time to any kind of problem is crap because so much info gets lost in their system...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely switching to FIOS when we get out of apt living... which should be in the next couple months.

At least it was back when we got home from work. Didn't have a fucking power outage till 7:30 PM last night, but the Internet was out at 2PM. fuck Comcast.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Comcast sucks COMPLETE ass. We lost power twice for a total of about 3 hours last night, from 7:30-10:30 PM. HOWEVER, the Internet has been out since about 2PM Sunday, and by the time we left for work this morning, it still wasn't up. Whenever we call we get an automated message, but it includes no ETA or anything. If it's not working tonight when we get home, we're calling again and speaking directly to a rep. This is insane. My friends in RI were out for ten hours and even their Internet is working, and they have Cox, which is considered to be even worse than Comcast. When we move to the house, we are defintely getting FIOS. Unfortunately Comcrap is the only option at our apt complex.[/QUOTE]
I moved to my apartment strictly because FiOS was an option. Haha, Comcast salespeople are so pushy in my area because they are losing so badly to Verizon.

I had power all Saturday (except for 2 hrs), but lost my internet around 2pm and didn't regain it until Sunday Morning. I have the fastest option of centurylink, so it wasn't just comcast.

I put 50 hrs on my generator since Sunday morning when I lost power. They say I'll be back up by Sunday night but I'm not holding my breath.
At least the weather has been nice all week..could have been raining and humid...:roll:

If katia hits Virginia, we are fucked. It's been raining steadily for 12 hours and it doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon, add to that the rain we already got from Irene, and the potential rain we will get from Lee, our rivers will be way over their banks.

bread's done
Back