Hybrid Blu-ray/videogame discs coming for PS3‏

NegativeZero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
Link to full article here

Sounds like Sony's getting a little desperate for some sales. It's a smart move but I'm sure it won't be for all games. I mean what happens if a game doesn't have a movie tie-in to be bundled with?

"A PS3 videogame, typically taking up 30GB to 40GB of Blu-ray Disc space, features richer graphics and skill complexity over Xbox 360 and Wii games, according to Sony. But that strength is proving not advantageous enough for PS3, which has been trailing the Xbox 360 and Wii in sales. The most recent third-quarter sales of the PS3 declined from its performance during the same frame the prior year."

Sony can't seem to figure out whether its a game machine or blu ray player so there start to market it as both.

Good luck Sony, as an owner of both systems I'd prefer both survived. Need more exclusives and 1st party games like Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link is broken, but based upon what you said, this sounds extremely gimmicky. I wonder how 3D gaming is going to work out that they announced earlier this year.

[quote name='silent h3ro']Your link is broken, but based upon what you said, this sounds extremely gimmicky.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that, fixed now.

idk, I could see this working

For instance you have both the Spiderman 3 game and Spiderman 3 movie on one BR Disc. If that is what they are going for, I dont see an issue with that

so now you can get Madagascar 2 on blu-ray and it would feature the movie and the game?

is there a lot of demand for that?

is this to save cost? won't that drive up the price tag?

why not bundle them... the movie and game.

this is a gimmick.

Isn't that what they did for the Stranglehold CE (w/ "Hard Boiled" on Blu-Ray), or did that ship with 2 discs?

Stranglehold is just one disc, but it isnt blu ray quality. I could see this working out. For example, include Ghostbuster game and movie on one disc.

If that article is right and most PS3 games take up 30-40 GB of the Blu Ray disk then the quality of movie isn't going to be great, since I would imagine that most Blu Ray movies also take up 30-40 GB.

Have there been any PS3 demos on Blu Ray disks yet? I remember a few DVDs I owned had Xbox demos on them.

BluRay technology is great but this sounds like its not quite ready for production. Do people really want to play games based on movies? Iron Man was a cool movie but a terrible game and there are other examples of poor games/movie crossovers.

There are some cool things that this can lead to though. Imagine a virtual walkthrough as you are playing a game, or for those great games a commentary or bonus production notes/features. It is too early to judge how this one will turn out.

Considering the shitty quality of most movie based games, they should just include the movie on the Blu-Ray disc as part of the game.

The only good thing I can see from this is companies can now put bonus features (making of, behind the scenes, etc.) stuff along with the game, on one disc to save production costs.

My bet will go with Staff Commentaries on the game. Basically special features.

What Sony needs to do is bundle PS3 games with tons of random extras that the 360 cannot include in their discs. With all that space it would add a lot of value to the game. Imagine GoW III with a demo for the next GoW on the PSP playable on the PS3 PSP thingy. Or Valkyria Chronicles anime preview on the disc after completing the game. Or Disgea 3 with 1 and 2 as unlockables. Or bundle all the old PS2 titles they not longer print and make more money off of them. P1, P2, P3, + demo of P4 on one blu ray? I'd buy it and they can market the games they are currently selling.

They have the space. Then again, throw in "Limited Edition", "New Extras", or a free plushie and people will pay exorbant ammounts of money at less cost to them.

[quote name='ninja dog']funny, considering the multiplatform games are just now becoming equal with 360 games and I don't even know what to say about "skill complexity" :lol:[/quote]Well what do you think Sony is going to say about their games. Sony - "We are on par or worse graphically than the 360 equivalent." Nope. :) And if he was referring to first party games, then what he said is somewhat true. I would consider MGS4 to have feature rich graphics and a high skill complexity compared to most first party 360 games. I'm not saying I wholeheartedly agree with what he had to say, but he was pretty right about that one point.

[quote name='silent h3ro']Well what do you think Sony is going to say about their games. Sony - "We are on par or worse graphically than the 360 equivalent." Nope. :) And if he was referring to first party games, then what he said is somewhat true. I would consider MGS4 to have feature rich graphics and a high skill complexity compared to most first party 360 games. I'm not saying I wholeheartedly agree with what he had to say, but he was pretty right about that one point.[/QUOTE]

wtf

Didn't Sony already do this with Stranglehold SE. I think this is a smart move on their part and it might result in a nice bump in game/movie sales.

I don't think they'll be releasing full-length games along with the movies. Probably stuff more on the level of what you'd find in the PlayStation Store.

as reluctant as I am to pick up a game for $60 , if it included a movie , I probably wouldn't give a damn. Lower the pirce of both and just keep them separate.

I was at first picturing a dual layer (double sided) disc , but 'BLU RAY DISCS HAVE SO MUCH SPACE" that the would probably just do it on one side.

[quote name='62t']Stranglehold is just one disc, but it isnt blu ray quality. I could see this working out. For example, include Ghostbuster game and movie on one disc.[/quote]

You do realize that this is happening, right?

[quote name='NegativeZero']Sounds like Sony's getting a little desperate for some sales. It's a smart move but I'm sure it won't be for all games. I mean what happens if a game doesn't have a movie tie-in to be bundled with?[/quote]Uh, you are so wrong here. Stranglehold already did that. If there happens to be room at times for both, why not do it then? I'd love it if Ghostbusters the video game also came with the Ghostbusters movie.

Sony can't seem to figure out whether its a game machine or blu ray player so there start to market it as both.
PS3 is a media device to Sony, that plays games, blu-rays, and many other things. If your going to bash Sony for this, then why not bash MS for allowing 360 users to watch Netflix movies (if Xbox 360 is suppose to only be a game console). 360/PS3 are media machines, not just a game console.

Good luck Sony, as an owner of both systems I'd prefer both survived. Need more exclusives and 1st party games like Nintendo.
Sony has quite a bit of 1st party exclusives, downloadable and disc based. And as far as I know, didn't Sony release more first party games for PS3 than Nintendo did for Wii last year? I know Sony themselves published more downloadable games before (which aren't just old ports of classic games).

And here I thought next games would hit sub $60!

But here comes Sony to save the day! So now you can have a $5 savings on a future AAA title like New Kids on The Block: The game, featuring NBOTB the Movie! Only $80! That's a $5 Savings! Wooooooooooow.

First off, Aside from MGS4, what PS3 game takes up more than 15 gigs on a Blu-Ray disc? Surely nothing that is multiplatform like Street Fighter 4, Devil May Cry 4, Call of Duty 4, and so one. I'm sure that we could put a High Def movie onto the 35 or so gigs left on that disc and have a winning situation. Even if it raised the price of a game up $5, I wouldn't care that much because I would have my movie and game on one disc not two and it would be cheaper than buying both seperatly. Ghostbusters, Transformers 2, Iron Man 2, X-Men Origins, and even something like Monsters vs Aliens can benefit from this.

Wow this is definitely a waste of money. What Sony should have done instead before was being more aggressive on keeping the exclusives they use to have like Final fantasy, tekken etc. Then try to get more jrps's for the system like from square and namco to boost sales in japan at least.

If Sony put as much effort into the ps3 as they did about winning the damned blu ray format war, the ps3 would be in a much better position than it is now.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, you are so wrong here. Stranglehold already did that. If there happens to be room at times for both, why not do it then? I'd love it if Ghostbusters the video game also came with the Ghostbusters movie.

SO wrong where? I think I may be missing what you're saying I'm wrong about, I don't see any "fact" in there, I see my opinion, so please let me know where I'm worng.

PS3 is a media device to Sony, that plays games, blu-rays, and many other things. If your going to bash Sony for this, then why not bash MS for allowing 360 users to watch Netflix movies (if Xbox 360 is suppose to only be a game console). 360/PS3 are media machines, not just a game console.

Let's get real , PS1's successor was the PS2 and PS3 was the successor to the PS2. PS1 was primarily a game machine as was the PS2 and as was the PS3. Movie's have always been a bonus. So because HD movies have been included in the machine may make it a media device, doesn't means it's not primarily a game machine. My ipod, VCR and PC are all media devices to, but you won't catch me playing games on them

Sony has quite a bit of 1st party exclusives, downloadable and disc based. And as far as I know, didn't Sony release more first party games for PS3 than Nintendo did for Wii last year? I know Sony themselves published more downloadable games before (which aren't just old ports of classic games).[/QUOTE]

I don't care who had the most exclusives. I care abouthow many of them I was inclined to buy. What they need are consumers and if I'm not consuming that may mean that others aren't either. Make a title that I want to buy. If they have ATV OFF ROAD ICE TRUCKING as an exclusive and I don't care about that game then, it's just another title that may not sell well. It'd be different if it was quality over quantity, but we all know it's not.

[quote name='magus83']Wow this is definitely a waste of money. What Sony should have done instead before was being more aggressive on keeping the exclusives they use to have like Final fantasy, tekken etc. Then try to get more jrps's for the system like from square and namco to boost sales in japan at least.

If Sony put as much effort into the ps3 as they did about winning the damned blu ray format war, the ps3 would be in a much better position than it is now.[/QUOTE]

They forgot to read what history says about fighting a war on two fronts.

bread's done
Back