I absolutely hate frustrating games!

Layziebones

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I have been playing Blitz 2 and I really enjoy it, but it is incredibly hard. I can be up 30 pts and lose that lead in about 45 seconds. I cannot beat that damn jail level. I have played it several times and am getting really frustrated having to continously play the same level.

Back to my point, I hate it when games have one super frustrating part (Im looking at you, Star Destroyer TFU Level!)

Yeah, a frustrating point in a game can easily become a breaking point to me in a game. If I can't get past a certain point, I'll just drop the game and go to the next. After I broke a PS3 controller, I realized I don't have money to play games that make me want to break things. I should play games to relax and enjoy myself.

Some good examples are God of War 1 or 2 on their hardest difficulty settings. Ares took me nearly 3 hours, and I still can't beat the fucking Barbarian king. Add in the Challenge of Gods and Titans, and you have a pretty angry gamer.

Oh yeah, rubberband racers can bite me.

Fire Emblem 10 hard mode. I'm just about to start the final fight of part one, and part three has me fucking terrified. That first 100+ man fight is absolutely brutal on normal - on hard, it's probably just going to turn my fucking console off five minutes in.

EDIT: BUT I WILL PREVAIL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark games where I die because I can't fucking see anything piss me off. I threw a controller across the room and busted up the right stick over this just last week.

You know, for all the hatred that the Water Temple gets, I never had too many problems with it. It was the Forest Temple that really fucked me around.

Yeah I hate frustrating games. I play to veg out and relax. Games that frustrate me repeatedly go on Goozex damn fast as it's counter-intuitive to keep playing a game that's pissing me off when the whole point of my playing is to take a break an chill out.

Hells no. Bring on the nightmarish difficulty and the unfairness.

The rewards are all the greater when you overcome. If I turn off a game in frustration, I'll turn it right back on a few minutes.

I finally beat stage 4 in Commando: Steel Disaster today, after being stuck replaying the entire 10 minute stage for probably the last 5 hours. It was brutal. And excellent.

The only real fuck THIS SHIT problem I have with difficulty is when it comes from infinitely respawning enemies. Now, if the game would not function without respawning enemies like Space Invaders or some shit, then it gets a pass. But if it's an FPS or something, then it's probably not worthy of being fucking played. Metroid Prime 3's ''destroy the big mothafucking gun'' sequence barely gets a pass. Red Faction 2's infinitely respawning exploding headcrabs, however? Not so much.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Hells no. Bring on the nightmarish difficulty and the unfairness.

The rewards are all the greater when you overcome. If I turn off a game in frustration, I'll turn it right back on a few minutes.

I finally beat stage 4 in Commando: Steel Disaster today, after being stuck replaying the entire 10 minute stage for probably the last 5 hours. It was brutal. And excellent.[/QUOTE]

I will say that I understand and respect this view. Some people like tough as games as they play games to challenge themselves and feel a sense of accomplishment. Others play online games competitively to be the best etc. Nothing wrong with that.

Just not my cup of tea. I use games to unwind after long days of work, so I like simple games that are moderately difficult at best so I can just veg out and take a break from the real world.

I have no patience for fusturating games. I have too big of a backlog to bother with them.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']LoZ:OOT - Water Temple[/QUOTE]

The level that got me to quit playing the game, I never finished it.

The NES Ninja Gaiden games pop into mind: kill an enemy, get knocked back, proceed forward and get greeted by the same enemy that has respawned.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Hells no. Bring on the nightmarish difficulty and the unfairness.

I finally beat stage 4 in Commando: Steel Disaster today, after being stuck replaying the entire 10 minute stage for probably the last 5 hours. It was brutal. And excellent.[/quote]

This is my philosophy. I can't give up, even if the game is seemingly broken. And there's no way I'll ever give in and lower a difficulty level. There's some stupid gamer pride that I have that will simply not allow me to do it.

I wasted so many hours beating the DMCs on Dante Must Die, the NGs on Master Ninja, Shinobi/Nightshade, Maximo, GoW2 on Titan... when I really really like a game (or a particular mechanic in a game) I won't give up until it's over. These are all some of my favorite games as a result. They may or may not have made that list if they weren't as difficult.

i was getting really frustrated trying to time attack the special stage in mega man 9. the smallest things were making me angry, like an energy recharge dropping and messing up my timing.

even more so than me playing on superhero mode.

[quote name='GodlyOne']The NES Ninja Gaiden games pop into mind: kill an enemy, get knocked back, proceed forward and get greeted by the same enemy that has respawned.[/quote]

The worst was part 1, when you died at the final boss Jacquio(Act 6-3ish), you restarted at motherfucking Act 6-1...

:bomb:

[/quote]

image.php

Its not an exclusive position. I also enjoy story driven games and the occasional cakewalk(Super Princess Peach) I dont actually OWN a balance board though.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its not an exclusive position. I also enjoy story driven games and the occasional cakewalk(Super Princess Peach) I dont actually OWN a balance board though.[/quote]

It was just a small joke. I know that everyone enjoys different types of games.

I get frustrated any time that I know what I have to do and I feel that I've done it and yet I fail.

One example is the Hell level in God of War. Namely the Rotating Spike Poles of Doom. I knew that I had to climb to the top and evade the spikes, I felt like I had moved enough for the spikes to miss me, yet I still ended up back on the ground.

It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm willing to see a "game over" screen, sometimes I'm not.

Last night I fell off an overpass in Fallout 3. That was not a "game over" screen I was interested in seeing. A couple days earlier, I was getting raped in EWJ and had no complaints.

I'm playing Dead Space and it's frustrating the fuck out of me. Yes I know, I suck at games. Everything is so damn dark that you can't see anything. Weapon upgrading is pointless because it doesn't help at all (why the hell would they put BLANK SPACES between upgrades? I'm not playing this game 4 times. Just let me upgrade the damn weapon! ) and all the weapons are fuckin terrible in this game. The enemies do way too much damage even though I have the highest level suit and a couple upgrades on it. And load times. EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU DIE. The PS3 has a hard drive. They had time to include their bullshit demos onto the disc, they had time to do some sort of install to eliminate load times. The game is a chore to play and I just want to beat it already.

I will say that after 20 or so years of playing video games, that I enjoy games with that are on the middle level of difficulty. There are still a ton of games that offer an enjoyable experience without being near impossible and this is why the Nintendo 1st party games are so popular because they have that balance of it's not hard but there are points where you can't slop your way through it.

I do like having the option of putting in Ninja Gaiden Sigma in if I am in a masochistic mood but as a whole I can't stand games that are difficult based on control or crappy physics

[quote name='The Crotch']You know, for all the hatred that the Water Temple gets, I never had too many problems with it. It was the Forest Temple that really fucked me around.[/QUOTE]

Had problems with neither but I also never got the water temple hate, it wasn't really that hard unless you try to just rush through it without remembering what yous saw earlier. As for my stance on this, it depends on why a game is frustrating. If we are talking about screwy cameras , off screen shooting or something like that then yeah I can't stand those games. Now if the game gives you the tools to win and you can't because the hordes of hell beat you down, well try try again.

frustrating games are good and bad.

god of war was bad. the game capped you when you played the higher difficulty levels. the game also levels up [makes them stronger] the enemies. i played the higher difficulty level [not sure but was one of the second last difficult levels] and got stuck at the asteroid where you have to protect your wife while also your own life.

metal slug is a good frustrating game. it's hard but there is a sense of fairness.

the water stage in zelda is the best level. the dungeon is well designed, has a well use of water that accomodates the concept of the dungeon as well as the acquired weapon for the dungeon.

Frustrating games bother me too but like some of you said, it's definitely worth it to beat them. It's a really awesome sense of achievement. Recently my most frustrating game has been Midnight Club LA, but not necessarily because of the rubber banding, but because the damn texture pop ins are extremely frustrating and losing me races. I want to rip my hair out every time my car runs into nothing and causes me to instantly stop and reverse the car. It's hard to come back from that.

Well, there are 2 types of difficult games, difficult just to be difficult and difficult because it was poorly made/broken.

For the 2nd group, I almost never have paitience for this. If the game is otherwise well made and its one part, I'll put up with it, for a short time.

But, for the well made game, I'm torn. I get frustrated and will often hate the game. Yet, I keep going back. A game like Ikaruga drove me nuts for over 50 hours. It's tough because you know what to do, you just can't do it.

I actually don't mind 'thought' difficulty as much. I will try to figure out the puzzles for a time, then cheat my way through it when I've had enough.

bread's done
Back