I actually won a contest, but not 27

shadowkast

CAG Newbie
Got a phone call saying I won a contest. She said this was not a scam, hoax, no need to buy anything or sit in a seminar. I was stoked. Prize choices (all worth up to $2500) Cash, some navigation system, 32" tv, or a trip to somewhere...don't recall.

Said I signed up online and the giveaway was through (I think) United National Travel (wrote it down on my smokes when at work and threw away the pack.

Everything was going good until she said "And we have your age between 27 and 79" I said "I'm 26" she says"Sorry the contest has rules and regulations and therefore you are inelegible"

What the fuck man!!!!!!!!!!

searched on here but didn't find the name...anybody know anything about this??? Sorry so long guys, thanx for readin though

Last edited by a moderator:
do you remember signing up online for it? If not, there's a good chance it was a scam anyway

and if it was real, just lie next time ^^

Phone calls like that are usually scams. So never give them any new information. If they thought you were between 27 and 79 then let them think that. I doubt it was legit but who knows, maybe you just talked yourself out of a free prize.

Can't legally discriminate based on age (other than minors), sex, race etc. Scam.

In addition to the contest I have a great money making idea, give me all your personal information and I will tell it to you. Also, you must pay shipping so I need a major credit card. You could also western union or money-gram me the $200 in fees and I will wire you back the balance of your contest winnings directly to your checking account (just give me your routing numbers). LOL

[quote name='Ziv']Can't legally discriminate based on age (other than minors), sex, race etc. Scam.[/QUOTE]

Then a lot of contests have illegal rules. I have seen some contests open to guys only and others to girls only. One for guys only was for I think MLB Slugfest 2004 where if you won, you got to judge cheerleaders for the next game.

While you have them on the phone, go to google and type "*name of company* is a scam" (not in quotes) and see what comes up. I did that for one of those seminar companies and sure enough, nobody got their "prizes" they offered but paid $100 anyway.

Although I think it was BS too, if it was a scam why would they just say he was ineligible. Wouldn't a scam continue on with the process and try to get whatever they want? Maybe they just assumed you'd say yes you are between 27-79.

Couple things: 1) They already had all my info, was confirming it when the age thing came up (also I could be wrong about what the 'age cutoff' was)
2) She said that it was not a scam after I started to question her about what exactly I had to do
3) no shipping or hiden fees at all the prize had to be picked up in northern IL
4) have I signed up for contests....yes many, especially through here
5) She actually seemed pretty bummed for me when the 'inelegible age' came up ...I asked her if I could have my boss come and claim the prize in my behalf (cause of the age) she said no because I had to have two forms of ID with me to verify it was me

I actually think I won something for once and it slipped through my fingers

note: as for the name of the company/contest, like I said I'm not exactly sure if that is right or not

.....and to all the comedians on here I'm not an idiot, I can tell what is legit and not, but thanx for the life lessons. Never thought things like SS number, bank routing numbers, etc. shouldn't be shared. Guess I'll have to take them out of my sig on here/facebook/myspace/etc. Thanx for being much more gifted than I;)
[quote name='h3llbring3r']In addition to the contest I have a great money making idea, give me all your personal information and I will tell it to you. Also, you must pay shipping so I need a major credit card. You could also western union or money-gram me the $200 in fees and I will wire you back the balance of your contest winnings directly to your checking account (just give me your routing numbers). LOL[/quote]

[quote name='probablysober']star 69 them right away with your social security number and bank pin.[/quote]

[quote name='shadowkast']Couple things: 1) They already had all my info, was confirming it when the age thing came up (also I could be wrong about what the 'age cutoff' was) [/quote]

Congrats! Now, along with the other info you confirmed for them, they have your exact age.

Come to think if it...they probably already new your age...kinda funny how you were only one year away from elligibility. Easy way for them to end the call after they confirmed your personal info. Even if you think the info they have is innocuous imagine an entire database worth of information on people just waiting to be paired up with a SSN or account number. Check out this link if you don't believe me...

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/notorious-crime.html

[quote name='shadowkast'].....and to all the comedians on here I'm not an idiot, I can tell what is legit and not, but thanx for the life lessons. Never thought things like SS number, bank routing numbers, etc. shouldn't be shared. Guess I'll have to take them out of my sig on here/facebook/myspace/etc. Thanx for being much more gifted than I;)[/quote]
LOL, we were just busting your ballings a little.

[quote name='slickkill77']United National Travels? Come on man[/QUOTE]

ha... they called and told me I won a honeymoon package worth 5,000 dollars. Seemed far too good to be true; it was after she asked me to fax her my social security and drivers license. Best part was when I said no and she asked how old/when I was getting married. She immediately hung up when I said I was 21 and getting married in a year and a half; not within the next 6 months she demanded

I am pretty sure I got a call from this outfit before. I had won a trip from them and that I had to pick it up in Colorado (I was in Idaho at the time). I was tempted to make a road trip for the heck of it but I got to talking to people and found out another friend had "won" in the past too. Turns out they promise the no seminar thing but they do still corner you and make you listen to their schpeal. I didn't go to it but they did try to schedule me for some hour long meeting with them to go over legal matters (which I heard turns out to be about timesharing condos or some such nonsense). I was old enough but I was in the middle of a semester and pretty strapped for cash so I ended up passing it up.

I'm not positive it's the same exact company but they worked things similarly. You win a prize. They promise you they aren't a scam. They say you need to go pick up your prize and that you need to meet a number of requirements. In my case they mailed me a number of things first and I looked them up on the net and confirmed who they were. I knew what they did and still felt it might be worth sitting in on a meeting for a free trip (I was engaged and thought it could make for a decent honeymoon) but in the end it just didn't work out right for me.

In my case, they found me from one of those drawings in the mall. They had some of my info but needed to get the rest because those mall drawings don't ask everything. I had lived in Colorado at the time so if I had still lived there I probably would have gone through with it.

yea and usually the prize they give you is a trip and the trips dumb because they have ppl like that have to go with you and stuff its not worth it..

I think it is a good thing that you are not 27. You might be in worst position right now trying to get out of it!!

bread's done
Back