I am not a happy camper right now.....

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I go outside and check my mailbox for my stimulus check (Which I did not get yet) and guess what I find instead..........Jury fucken duty. They say I have to report every tuesday for the whole month of August.....and I only get paid $30 a day (I make $100+/day at my job). My job will not be too happy that I have to take off every tueday for the whole month. Anybody have any prior experience with bein selected for Jury duty? How did it go? What did it intale? Any tips?

Thanks

[quote name='Poor2More']I go outside and check my mailbox for my stimulus check (Which I did not get yet) and guess what I find instead..........Jury fucken duty. They say I have to report every tuesday for the whole month of August.....and I only get paid $30 a day (I make $100+/day at my job). My job will not be too happy that I have to take off every tueday for the whole month. Anybody have any prior experience with bein selected for Jury duty? How did it go? What did it intale? Any tips?

Thanks[/quote]

We had a thread about this a while back.

Legally, your job can't fire you for jury duty.

That said, you'll go once and they'll probably dismiss you.

[quote name='JJSP']Legally, your job can't fire you for jury duty.

That said, you'll go once and they'll probably dismiss you.[/quote]

Good to hear :)

If you're salary you should still get paid when you are on jury duty, although you can be docked the amount of the jury duty payment I believe. If you are paid hourly I don't know how that works.

don't play the race card. I think it's an interesting process but the pay really sucks. Plus they make you go far away and the pay barely makes up for gas.

[quote name='ITDEFX']don't play the race card. I think it's an interesting process but the pay really sucks. Plus they make you go far away and the pay barely makes up for gas.[/quote]

go far away? Where do they send you? to a cave to secret deleberation?

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']I would rather have jury duty than live in a country where you can't get a fair trial.[/quote]

so true...

[quote name='manthing']Show up drunk...[/quote]

My buddies friend did that already.....He got contempt of court ($300 fine):D

that aint what he had planed

[quote name='Poor2More']any tips? Im white and young......I heard the race card is pretty played out, what other tricks[/quote]

Jew card? Say your favorite book is "Catcher in the Rye"?

[quote name='manthing']Show up drunk...[/quote]

If you can drive from your house to the location without
A. Crashing into something/someone.
B. Getting pulled over by the cops.

Then damn you can hold you liquor.

[quote name='Poor2More']go far away? Where do they send you? to a cave to secret deleberation?[/quote]

I dunno, but I think the other thread said they sent him somewhere far away.

Reality's Fringe;4505934]Show up for one day said:
How do they dismiss you? You can't play the race card, you can't show up drunk (because that will get your ass busted), and so on.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']I would rather have jury duty than live in a country where you can't get a fair trial.[/quote]

It's not a fair trial if the law is unfair.

Jury duty hardly equals fair trial.

[quote name='ITDEFX']If you can drive from your house to the location without
A. Crashing into something/someone.
B. Getting pulled over by the cops. [/quote]

Public Transit silly

[quote name='manthing']Public Transit silly[/quote]

But can still get busted for public intoxication silly!

All it takes is one cop to see you or someone to call the cops and your screwed.

That's if somehow your brain is still functional and you know how to get to the location using the right routes and manage not to pass out.

I was called earlier this year and ended up being picked for the jury. I was pissed at first, but to be honest, it's not that bad, and the whole process can get interesting. of course, my company pays for jury duty, so I wasn't out anything.

advice: bring a book/DS/mp3 player with you. shit gets boring unless you're in the actual courtroom. most of my time was spent waiting around.

I believe the proper way is to show that you have a diverse education and are very opinionated. Tell them you read newspapers/magazines like New York Times, The Forward, Weekly Standard, Newsweek.

Just make yourself a complete wild card.

I got the preliminary thing a couple weeks back. Was worried I'd get stuck with Jury duty while teaching this summer class, but I haven't got a follow up thing yet so looks like it won't (since I finish teaching July 10th). Though it would be kind of funny to have to cancel some classes in an Intro to Criminal Justice Course for Jury Duty. :D

I'd probably get dismissed anyway since I was a victim of a robbery in March--they tend to not want people who were victimized recently.

[quote name='ITDEFX']But can still get busted for public intoxication silly!

All it takes is one cop to see you or someone to call the cops and your screwed.

That's if somehow your brain is still functional and you know how to get to the location using the right routes and manage not to pass out.[/quote]

On the buses around here, there's usually at least one or two drunken bummy types, and they ride without getting busted.

I figure if you're wearing non-bum clothes, you'd be OK

[quote name='Poor2More']Should I start yelling Innocent even before I even know what the case is about.....[/quote]
no, but you should start talking about Gorlax the Destroyer and his conquest for dominion over the frozen forest of Tartalax. Then start screaming "THE TREES EAT THE SOULS OF INFANTS! THEY BEAR FRUIT TO DEAD FETUSES!" At this point, you should start thrashing around like you're having a seizure. Then all of the sudden, straight up, act like nothing happened, and say, "Excuse me, I didn't hear your question... could you please repeat that for me?"

Works every time. :lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']

How do they dismiss you? You can't play the race card, you can't show up drunk (because that will get your ass busted), and so on.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you're there for and who asks you questions. I was up for some dumbass traffic case where some asshole got busted for speeding and contested it. I was asked how I felt about speed laws by the prosecuting side, and I was just like "Well, I know I don't like traffic cops" and I was let go.

You have to play it right.

When they ask

Do you have any reason to not be on the jury. Say you hate black people, old people, jewish people, slobs, gangsters, the chinnese, men, and women.

You get to go home.

I've done jury duty once. My work paid me like a regular day. Plus the 25-30 from the courts. It was kinda fun. Bring a book. Bring a ipod. Bring something to occupy the time. Its real slow and not a lot happenes till your turn.

My caes was a biker was "drunk" and ran over his neighbors mail box. Police should up and he would not take a blodd/blow test. Said not guilty. He showed up in complete biker gear. No shower. No shave. Damn it if I took the time to get cleaned up for your trial why didn't you.

We called him guilty. Here is why. Its a road he had lived on for 10 + years. You would think you would know that road by now. Alachol had to have played an effect.

Sad thing is they don't tell you whats going to happen if they get guilty. I think if they had told us what would have happened to the guy we probably would have said not guilty, It was his third time. I think he got like 5 years! Oh well. Maybe he should have realized whats up after the first time.

[quote name='prmononoke']It's not a fair trial if the law is unfair.[/quote]

Which is exactley why the juror has the power of jury nullification. Tell them you know what jury nullification is and you'll be out of there so fast your head'll spin.

We can't have people using their constitutional power now can we...

What state are you in, OP?

Here in Jersey, we get paid $40 a day for JD + the cost of mileage. When I did JD that one day, I got a check for $45 in the mail :D

just do it. I had grand jury duty a few summers ago, 5 days a week from 9-5 (technically) for a month and it was awesome. I started a summer job 3 days before that started and they paid me for 20 hours/week for jury duty (since it was a hourly job) then I worked Saturday and Sundays (got overtime for Sundays) and jury duty paid me for the other two days a week.

And when I was there it was mostly waiting around. We generally were told not to come in till 10 and we left around 3. I brought my laptop and watched a lot of movies between stuff. Also since it was grand jury duty it was all felonies, so we got to meet all of the undercover drug cops and learn about all of the murders before they got in the paper.

I say ask for grand jury duty and invest in a psp.

Just show up, for the love of God bring a book or something, i've done it four times now and each time is a test of endurance to see who can outlast the boredom. Its a choice between talking to the old people in the room or just drinking coffee until you get sick.

[quote name='djkunai']Draw a swastika on your forehead. No one will want your opinion.[/quote]

I think that right there would probably get you out of the jury duty. Just erase it as soon as you leave and drive off.....blasting some loud metal song.

Your state sucks. We have one day/one trial here, you're either selected for a trial that day or your jury duty is done for 3 years. And you can pick any day to serve it on within one calendar year of being selected.

Just go, they often do not pick students or younger people.

Just go and do your duty.

I've been called 3 times, and selected for a jury once. Yeah, it's boring as hell but it's not that bad. Bring a book or your handheld gaming device of choice.

My state is different though. When you get picked you have to show up for 3 days, and if you're not put on a jury you go home.

Trying to get out of jury duty is low. Duty is in the name for a reason.

I hope if you ever have a jury trial the jury sleeps through the process and flips a coin.

bread's done
Back