I believe my PS3 is broken!... Edit: I think it is officially Dead! LOL

dinobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
195 (99%)
Here is the story, I was playing Valkyria Chronicle while playing WC3 (I like to multitask). This goes on for an hour or 2, then all of a sudden, during one of the longer pauses of VC, the game froze (noticed it when the controller wasn't responding). Since the console wasn't responding to anything from the controller, I reset it by holding down the power on button. The console had some beeps, then everything was back to normal.

I returned to VC again, but while playing, it froze on me again. So I go on to try other games and the freeze continues (tried LBP, R2 and VC) . The weird thing is, sometimes when it freeze, the system still responds when I press the ps button. Also, it will unfreeze when I press eject the disc. The freeze seem to happen while it is loading something.

I think the blu ray drive might have been damaged, but I don't know. searching on google did not provide me any good answers.

Seeking advice on what to do.

I've tried formatting everything and restore to default setting, but it still does the same thing. :cry::cry::cry:

First, yes it's dying.
Second, if you have any content that you have gameshared (and maxed out to 5 accounts), go ahead and deactivate it, in case the system decides to die completely.

Third, if the symptoms don't happen while playing games from the hard-drive (e.g. downloaded content), then yes your disc drive is dying. If your console is under a year old, then no worries as Sony will pay for everything. If it's older than a year, then it'll cost you $150 to get Sony to fix it.

You can also look into replacing the drive yourself, but of course, it all depends on how comfortable you are looking all the info online and doing it yourself.

[quote name='dragonjud']First, yes it's dying.
Second, if you have any content that you have gameshared (and maxed out to 5 accounts), go ahead and deactivate it, in case the system decides to die completely.

Third, if the symptoms don't happen while playing games from the hard-drive (e.g. downloaded content), then yes your disc drive is dying. If your console is under a year old, then no worries as Sony will pay for everything. If it's older than a year, then it'll cost you $150 to get Sony to fix it.

You can also look into replacing the drive yourself, but of course, it all depends on how comfortable you are looking all the info online and doing it yourself.[/quote]

sadly, it is over a year old.

by replacing the drive, do you mean one of those ebay auctions that sells the lens replacement?

thanks for the reply!

[quote name='dinobot']sadly, it is over a year old.

by replacing the drive, do you mean one of those ebay auctions that sells the lens replacement?

thanks for the reply![/quote]

Yeah, that's what you would need. I would double check (google is your friend) to make sure you get the correct parts. If you post in the ps3 forum you may get more help with that particular task (I'm speaking for others that have gone and are going through the process).

Damn, sorry to hear that bro. I had it lock up on me a week or so ago while playing God of War II. I could still push the PS button however.

Hasn't happened again however *knock on wood*

My 2 week old 80 gig has locked up on me 3 times already. It happened twice at the same spot in NBA 2k9 and once in Fallout 3 after I left things paused for about 10 minutes.

Hasn't happened since then, but we'll see.

Have you tried a complete shut off?

Basically, turn off the system using the XMB or power button the front of the system, turn of the switch in the back so the red light on the front no longer goes, and then unplug the system.

After you unplug it, turn the switch in the back of the on (this uses up any remaining charge within the cable) for a few seconds. And then turn the rear switch to the off position again.

Wait 5 minutes or so and plug it back in, turn on the back switch, and power it and and see what happens.

It does sound like your system is dying but this is worth a shot. It does sound like a bad drive but it could also be a bad disc... I'd try to exchange the game first if you still can before trying anything drastic or expensive.

I am sure it is not bad disc b/c it is happening to other disc as well... but i'll try the complete shut method vinny.

Also, the drive plays music cds no problem. -.-

EDIT: tried it, still no worky. sigh. i even swapped a new hdd and system still freeezes. i am sure it is the drive since the game resumes when i eject the disc for a short moment. however, this won't do since once the disc ejects, the system will restart.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yea, thinking I could fix this problem myself, I kept trying different games and reformatting the hdd and so on. So at the last try, the game froze while LBP was installing the game data into the system (DOH!). I did the usual eject the disc, and restart.

The result? I now get the dreaded 80010514 error message and after restarting that, my system no longer wants to read discs! LOL

I guess it is finally time to give Sony a call.

On that note, I found this

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/playstation-3---80010514-error--customer-satisfaction

apparently, system freeze is starting to be common after the latest firmware update (could be why my system broke since I updated it a week ago, sigh).

If this continues, sony will have to recall the systems or classaction will probably follow.

Class action happened on the last one and they had to fix DRE's on the PS2 for free for a certain length of time.

bread's done
Back