I bought something on Ebay and then the seller was "No longer a registered user"

darkcrawlspace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
About a month ago I won an auction for a DVD for $14.50 plus $5 for shipping. I sent a money order out 2 days after the auction ended. A week later, I decided to email the seller to see if he had shipped my DVD out. Then I noticed that next to his user name it said "Not a register user." I immediately thought that I had just gotten screwed out of $20. I'm not sure if he canceled his account himself, or if he was suspended by Ebay, but I'm guessing it was the latter. So I emailed him and asked anyways, and he said he sent it out. It's been a couple of weeks since then, and still nothing. The guy replys to every email I send him, but it's getting me no where. I really wish I didn't pay with a money order, because theirs nothing I can do about it. If I had payed through Paypal I could've possibly gotten my money back. But I never leave any money in my account. I've "reported" it to Ebay, but I doubt that will help at all. So I was just wondering if their was anything else I could do about this. I know it's only $20, but it still pisses me off thinking that he probably did the same thing to a bunch of other people.

considering it was a M.O. for $19.50 canceling it would be a waste of time, most provider charge about $12 to either trace or refund your $$ and it usually takes atleast 90days, atleast thats from my own personal experience's, just check the stub and see what the provider offers

[quote name='Epic Wolf']considering it was a M.O. for $19.50 canceling it would be a waste of time, most provider charge about $12 to either trace or refund your $$ and it usually takes atleast 90days, atleast thats from my own personal experience's, just check the stub and see what the provider offers[/QUOTE]

So why did you have to cancel your money order? I didn't even know that was an option. I guess I'm just trying to find any other ways I can deal with this, or report the person, because Ebay isn't going to help.

About the only thing you could do is try to file mail fraud since you mailed him the money order. I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting your money back though.

i bought something once, and the guy became an unregistered user a day after I paid, but i guess he was a good guy, cuz i did get the item 2 weeks later, heh

You can't cancel a money order AFAIK. The whole point of a money order is that they are basically 'same as cash', if you could cancel them that would defeat their attraction. And a trace would be pointless as the guy isn't claiming he didn't get the MO. You could maybe get a refund if you claim the MO was lost, but since this one was cashed that wouldn't fly.

Seems like you've come to the same conclusion, but I'd never pay for anything with a MO as there is so little recourse.

You could file a mail fraud charge as has been mentioned, or try straight fraud/theft with the police (doubt they'll care about something so small) And the guy can always claim it must have been lost in the mail. Don't know if there would be any way to prove he's lying or not.

'No longer a registered user' is sort of f'd up. My account was suspended because someone claimed an import music CD I was selling should not have been listed. The reason was 'uses mod chips' or something weird...

I also received a threat once because I mentioned 'hot topic' in the subject line (where the item was purchased). I received an autogen letter stating that I was 'minipulating the title'...

I got screwed too a few months ago and used BidPay to pay for the auction. The seller became unregistered user and Ebay was no help. I asked about it here and everybody told me that since bidpay was a western union company, I won't get my money back. However, I called my credit card company and they still credit back the amount right away, so I lucked out.

My lesson, never paid for any item without some form of protection no matter how good deal it seems.

However, you have to file a police report against that guy. There was a list of what you can do somewhere on this forum, do a search and hope that someone will catch that bastard!

DO NOT --- UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES -- complete a transaction with a member who has gone "Seller not a registered user"

[quote name='wubb']You can't cancel a money order AFAIK. The whole point of a money order is that they are basically 'same as cash', if you could cancel them that would defeat their attraction. And a trace would be pointless as the guy isn't claiming he didn't get the MO. You could maybe get a refund if you claim the MO was lost, but since this one was cashed that wouldn't fly.

Seems like you've come to the same conclusion, but I'd never pay for anything with a MO as there is so little recourse.

You could file a mail fraud charge as has been mentioned, or try straight fraud/theft with the police (doubt they'll care about something so small) And the guy can always claim it must have been lost in the mail. Don't know if there would be any way to prove he's lying or not.[/QUOTE]
My Mistake you can only file a Trace/Claim if it gets lost in transit, in my case I did it for a CC payment that went missing...took about 6 weeks but I got my money back, well minus the fee's...as for unregistered user's on Ebay..somewhere in the Fine print it says your on your own buddy:roll:

bread's done
Back