I can't believe EB Games Screwed Me...

hx214

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Im really surprised that this happend at EB games, I would expect it from gamestop but not these guys....

Tuesday, I go to EB games and pick up a used copy of Advance Wars 2 (17.99). I asked the guy what the deal was on used advanced games because I have never bought one for that system used. says there is a 14 day return policy on the back of my recipt, so im like ok cool. Take the game and go home.

Day later I find a sealed copy of Advance Wars 2 on here, so I decide I'll pick it up so I can have the book and box and stuff and just return the other copy, plus I only paid 14.00 for it so i'll save three bucks.

So Im playing the GBA my friend gave me and it starts to crap out on me, the screen starts to flicker and other crap. So I just decide to go get a DS to replace it.

Yesterday I go into EB games (3 days after I bought the game) with the recipt. Walk up to the guy at the counter and hand him the game and recipt and say "I need to return this game, My gameboy broke on me, and I need to pick up a DS." I said you can just put that return into my credit at the store then have me pay the difference on the DS. So we do all that stuff and I talk to the guy for like 10 mins afterwords about the DS and the new games coming out, then the mall was closing so I left.

I get home and Im going over the warranty on the DS and putting my papers away where I know I have them, and I look at the recipt and the guy rung up my copy of Advance Wars 2 as a trade in not a return! so I only got 5 dollars credit, instead of 18 dollars..... And now im screwed because I gave him my orginal recipt and paper work.

By this time its 11pm so the mall is closed, so I can't call them and ask right away. So I wake up this morning and call and I get the store manager and Im like cool this guy will help me out. I tell him what happend and he pauses and says...

"Well was the game open??"

I say "dude it was a used GBA game its was just a cart, BUT it still had all your marked tickets on it, UPC code and price tag. Its probably sitting on the shelf behind you"

He says, "Oh... well there is nothing I can do about it today, if you would have noticed it last night, I probably could have helped you.."

At this point I realized I royally screwed because I have no paper work to back up my claim because I gave it to the guy the night before, and I realize they probably ran the game through the inventory and its all in the computer, but still THEY messed up, so come on help me out.

I say " Is Frank there,(I know all these guys by name) ask him, I just bought the game off him tuesday he knows I did because he was upset that I got the last copy of the game and he wanted it."

He pauses again and says something like well Sean was just doing what he normally does when people bring in games....

Im thinking don't talk to me like Im a stupid kid, you know you messed up just say you did....Yeah I probably should have paid more attention but I didnt think I would need to because I handed them my game with the Big yellow stickers on it and the 2 footlong recipe, (PLUS I was buying a DS so I was SO HAPPY..:bouncy: he probably could have taken the keys to my jeep and I wouldn't have noticed) After I thought about it to I thought it was weird that if the clerk honestly thought I was trading the game in he never said "Hey if you have 2 more games at home you can get 3 dollars more per game" They ALWAYS say that when they are having that trade in sale even if you are giving them one game." If he would have said that I would have notcied something was wrong. So I really hope he seriously wasn't trying to screw me.

So I just decide to give up, because I have no paperwork or anything to back my claim up, .... I told the guy I was disappointed with them, and said I'll have to think twice next time about buying stuff there.

It really annoys me that i lost 15 bucks, but I had nothing to back up my claim, but if he really wanted to he could have credited my account he had all the paper work and the game right there, I mean even if he put it in inventory he had to have thought it was weird that the game still had all the used stickers on it from when I bought it 3 days before.. I buy ALOT of stuff from them, and send them alot of business from my friends, but I dont know about now...

Well, I feel for you, but in all honesty you should be mad at yourself. It IS your fault for not noticing that while in the store, and you didn't specify that you DIDN'T want to "trade it in".

Pay more attention next time!

This one is rough and I really feel for you because I've made many, many mistakes.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on or any reason to be upset.

I think it would be really hard to fix this after the fact. Maybe if you had kept all of your paperwork on it . . . but without it . . .

The only thing I can think of is that the manager could have reached out to you with some kind of bonus.

I try to follow every detail on my transactions and hang onto all the paperwork. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Well, I feel for you, but in all honesty you should be mad at yourself. It IS your fault for not noticing that while in the store, and you didn't specify that you DIDN'T want to "trade it in".

Pay more attention next time![/QUOTE]

I disagree, I bet he said he was returning it but the fact that they were talking meant the clerk messed up . . . but he should have noticed it.

When I did one of my Ndog tradeins, I needed to buy one more GBA games to flip . . . so, I did. As I walked away I noticed that the clerk had dropped it in the bag. So, I gave it back to her . . . granted it was a less than $5 game . . . but even if it had been $50 I would have corrected her. My EB clerks are really cool with me.

Erm...I don't believe you're allowed to just return a used game if its disfunctional. You told him that it was your GBA on the fritz, and not the game, so there would be no reason for them to take the game back at the value you paid for it. Even then, I don't know their policy on what to do with returned games. Does anyone know if they give you your money back or they just try to get you a different used copy of the game?

And why would you return the game? It'll run on your DS.

Threaten them by Telling them that you want to return the DS then because you were over charged for it, and then go buy th DS elsewhere.

You should always read your receipt when you're leaving the store if you're doing any kind of return or trade in. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes. 10 dollars won't kill you.

"Im thinking don't talk to me like Im a stupid kid, you know you messed up just say you did"

but you kinda are. i always check my receipts. Gamecrazy use to always forget to charge me MVP price but they always fixed it. now it's normal for me to check. A 5 second glance is always worth it.

yeah, i think you got screwed in this case, but at the same time look on the bright side, your mistake of not checking your receipts only cost u 10 bucks, better than what it couldve been...

I don't understand your story. Why would you return the game if you're buying a DS? It obviously wasn't because you needed the funds to cover your new purchase, because you had enough to cover all but $4 of it (the trade-in amount).

Also, you asked him "what's the deal with used GBA games" and he replied "There's a 14-day return policy on the back of the receipt". That doesn't specifically mean "you can return it for a full refund if you don't want it or like it w/in 14 days". It's referring to a defective game that you can bring back if it doesn't work right. You misinterpreted his broad answer to your generic question. They don't guarantee gaming satisfaction, just that it'll work as it's supposed to.

I don't know, does EB have a "game satisfaction guarantee" on their pre-played?

But again, why did you need to return the game?

You screwed yourself.. you should've noticed something when you got $5 in credit instead of $17. Live and learn, I guess.

how long does ebgames keep your reciept that you gave them? do they immediately throw it in the trash?

he returned the game because he found a new, sealed version for 14$. which is 3$ cheaper than the game he bought used at ebgames.

[quote name='Storamin']he returned the game because he found a new, sealed version for 14$. which is 3$ cheaper than the game he bought used at ebgames.[/QUOTE]

Oh right, so does EB allow you to normally return a used working game for credit towards something else? I thought the EB mantra was: "If you want to rent, go to Blockbuster"...

[quote name='Kerig']Oh right, so does EB allow you to normally return a used working game for credit towards something else? I thought the EB mantra was: "If you want to rent, go to Blockbuster"...[/QUOTE]

Nope, they sure don't.

[quote name='doodle777_98']"Im thinking don't talk to me like Im a stupid kid, you know you messed up just say you did"

but you kinda are. i always check my receipts. Gamecrazy use to always forget to charge me MVP price but they always fixed it. now it's normal for me to check. A 5 second glance is always worth it.[/QUOTE]

I try not to be annoying, but I kinda hover . . . keeping an eye on it as they do it. Many times I catch little things like "did you get the Edge discount there?" "Wasn't that game marked down?"

My main store has the screen in the counter . . . so, if you can read upside down (I'm good at it) you can follow along even as they look up values . . .

[quote name='Kerig']Oh right, so does EB allow you to normally return a used working game for credit towards something else? I thought the EB mantra was: "If you want to rent, go to Blockbuster"...[/QUOTE]

It amazes me how many people reply to threads without even reading the OP.

First of all, he said he found a new sealed AW for cheaper so he wanted to return the game towards a DS since his gba wasnt working well.

Secondly, he mentioned that he knows these people on a first name basis and he had asked when he bought it, if he could return the game, they said YES.

Should he have checked his reciept? yes. Should they have done their job right? Even more so.

Dont forget that his was near mall closing times. If you have ever worked retail you know how much it sucks to have customers right before closing. Some customers can feel this and rush more then usual.

If he said return and not trade in, it isn't crazy to assume that the eb clerk would do his job properly. Of course you gotta check the reciept, but its not his fault. If he had caught the mistake right then and there, who's mistake would it be? Same applies when you figure it out at home.

Being new to the boards and reading a couple of threads these past two weeks, it seems like the majority of people always seem to lean towards the side of the retail store rather than the consumer. I myself work in retail and the customer is not always right, but whatever store you might be shopping at is just as likely to fuck up.

[quote name='Weedy649']...he had asked when he bought it, if he could return the game, they said YES.[/QUOTE]
All we know is he asked "what's the deal on used GBA games", but the clerk never told him the specifics of the return policy, other than to read the receipt about the 14 days.

[quote name='hx214']Tuesday, I go to EB games and pick up a used copy of Advance Wars 2 (17.99). I asked the guy what the deal was on used advanced games because I have never bought one for that system used. says there is a 14 day return policy on the back of my recipt, so im like ok cool. [/QUOTE]

Does the back of the receipt actually say you can return a game for credit just because you don't want it anymore, or is it more of a defective game return policy?

Sorry about not putting his huge story together on the return the game part, I was focusing more on the return-credit part, and the OP was jumping around a bit. (I wasn't the 1st to question the reason for the return, but after reading it ALL again, I understand :)

i'm not sure why everyone is making a fuss about this, it's fairly cut and dry, and irrelevant that they didn't take it as a return. they SHOULD have had their used GBA games shrink-wrapped and then stickered, but regardless, you played the game, and once it's played you cannot return it unless it is defective. that is the policy on the receipt, and should be posted on their counter. same reason you can't just return a game if you don't like it.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']...once it's played you cannot return it unless it is defective. that is the policy on the receipt...you can't just return a game if you don't like it.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought. It took 23 posts to mention this???
I'm still a CAG/EB noob, that's my excuse. but to the rest of you: :shame:

[quote name='peterhql']I know at gamestop they have a 7 day return policy on preplayed games, is this not the case for ebgames?[/QUOTE]

No, they stick those circle stickers which says "returnable withing 14 days if seal is unbroken". I don't know what they do with GBA games.

[quote name='peterhql']I know at gamestop they have a 7 day return policy on preplayed games, is this not the case for ebgames?[/QUOTE]

EB has a 14-day policy; you can return it for your money back if it is unopened (GBA games should be shrink-wrapped) or if it is defective they will replace it with another copy of the same game. if you open it/play it, you're stuck with it unless it is defective. that has been the policy for a while, i'm always shocked at how no one seems clear on this.

My only suggestion involves one of these....

DUR_f11684_med.jpg

[quote name='howlinmad']My only suggestion involves one of these....

DUR_f11684_med.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I don't get it...

[quote name='aoLat']I don't get it...[/QUOTE]

It's an old DenisDFat referance.:lol:

Awesome by the way.:applause:

Anyhow OP the 14 day return period is for defective items, I know at least some of the Gamestops in Seattle give you a 7 day return for any reason period although they boot you out of the store if you start abusing it.:lol:

Sucks that you lost $12 but atleast the lesson was cheap.

yeah, just to reiterate and confirm... since you played it you shouldn't have been allowed to return it anyway. Once you play the game, it's yours and you can only trade it in for store credit. Admitted, in this case since it's not in a box it would have been hard to tell if you actually played it on the clerk's part but... then who's screwing who?

~stew

[quote name='howlinmad']My only suggestion involves one of these....

DUR_f11684_med.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh god!

Thanks for that, I almost completely forgot about that thread.

Geez... I didnt think this would be a huge thread.

My eb games doesn't shink wrap the GBA games, its just a display sitting there, and they lock it, and then unlock it and hand you a game out of it. There is no possible way they could have figured out that I played it or not. So to them, why would it matter why I was returning it?? They can just put it back in the display like it never left, and nobody would even know, like I said it still had the price tag and UPC code bar right on it like all the other 344554 games in the display.

Also another thing I would like to point out. Like i said i handed the guy a game AND A RECIEPT. Why the hell would I do that if I wanted to just trade the game in. He never said anything like thats worth 5 dollars credit 3 cash or anything like that like they always do, that would have thrown up another red flag for me. Because for 5 dollars I would have just keep the game and traded it on here, or gave it to one of my friends.

Like I said I do alot of buy and trading in that story so often I lose track of my total credits (12-14 bucks isn't going to trigger in my head SOMETHING IS WRONG) Thats like one game i could have bought 4 months ago.

I mean it really isn't that big of a deal, I was just upset that they didn't admit that they had made a mistake, because even that would have made a big difference, even if they couldn't do anything about it. Yeah I SHOULD have looked at the receipt, but honestly do you pull the thing out of the bag and go over it right after he hands it to you? No nobody does. Also someone said that I should have noticed that they charged me 129,99 instead of 108.xx. I wish it was that easy, I would have noticed that, I owed them like 44 something because of my credits. So no Im not a complete moron.... just partically one

so your telling me if I hand you a used game, and a RECIEPT you are going to be assuming this guy wants to trade this game in for store credit rather than this guy wants to return this game?

If i cant return it, say "Im sorry sir you cant return it for that reason, you can trade it in if you want but I can't give you a refund."

[quote name='hx214']so your telling me if I hand you a used game, and a RECIEPT you are going to be assuming this guy wants to trade this game in for store credit rather than this guy wants to return this game?

If i cant return it, say "Im sorry sir you cant return it for that reason, you can trade it in if you want but I can't give you a refund."[/QUOTE]

Yeah...that's what their policy is. If you buy used, it yours unless its defective. You mentioned nothing to the extent that the GAME was defective.

Ya but even saying:

"Im sorry sir you cant return it for that reason, you can trade it in if you want but I can't give you a refund.

I think some of you are thinking that I bought this game, with the intention of screwing the store by bring it back and demanding my full refund, I misunderstood the return policy, and that would have been OK with me, im not complaining because they wouldn't take the game back and give me my full refund,but I would not have given them the game for 5 bucks, I would have kept it and traded it on here or popped it up on ebay. I just wish he would have somehow made me aware as to what he was doing. (Thats the part that I am saying is there fault)

I think you should pursue this. Your trade-in should be in the computer. Did you play the game at all? Can you say what saved data is on there? People are right, you did mess up, but its completely reasonable that if you shop at a store often, which I assume you do because you know everyone's name, then you assume your shiznit is done right and don't double check. EB is also easy to work with on this (in my area at least). Today I turned back in my disc only Rhapsody that doesn't work 2 months after I bought it. They took it back and credited me the $30 I spent on it.

[quote name='hx214']so your telling me if I hand you a used game, and a RECIEPT you are going to be assuming this guy wants to trade this game in for store credit rather than this guy wants to return this game?
[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't believe how many stupid people do this kind of thing on a daily basis.

No i didnt have anything saved on the game, it started up fine but on the first battle screen is when it messed up. (Probably played it for like 3 mins.)

I called them back about 10 mins ago, just to see what would happen. I talked to Frank the first guy that sold it to me, and he said, ya the guy messed up, he told me he would have given me the full refund but the others might not have, but they really should have made me aware as to what he was doing, but because it was late and he was the only one there he was in a rush, he said it was also possible that he meant to give me the full refund but punched it in as a trade in on accident, and neither of us noticed it. But because its already in the computer and everything there wasn't a whole lot they could do. Said he was sorry, and hoped it wouldn't effect future business. (Then he laughed and said when he saw it in the case this afternoon he got excited that another copy had come in and ended up buying it for himself...bastard... :lol: )

Know see thats what good customer serivce is. Even if you can't fix it, at least say ya its our mistake and we understand if you take your business elsewhere, but we're sorry.

Honestly, I would still shop there over Gamestop. At least Eb games screws you to your face! haha J/K

Yeah there's one guy at an EB near me who is cool. I guess everyone there is cool, but this guy in particular. If I'm in the area, I'll go to his store to make my purchase. I'll also buy used over new if he's there.

[quote name='Trakan']Yeah there's one guy at an EB near me who is cool. I guess everyone there is cool, but this guy in particular. If I'm in the area, I'll go to his store to make my purchase. I'll also buy used over new if he's there.[/QUOTE]

Ben at the 27th St store?

[quote name='schultzed']Ben at the 27th St store?[/QUOTE]

Nah, his name is Rick at the Southridge Mall store. Actually, some guy at the 27th street store was a total dick one time. I avoid that one when possible.

checking receipts is ALWAYS a good idea no matter where you shop. the people serving you are human and bound to make mistakes now and then. i usually check receipts as soon as i leave the store or i make sure i check the screen before i swipe my cc. the best is when they make a mistake at the grocery store and if you catch it, they give you the item for free. i ended up getting a $6 container of tropicana oj free once. :)

[quote name='Trakan']Nah, his name is Rick at the Southridge Mall store. Actually, some guy at the 27th street store was a total dick one time. I avoid that one when possible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 27th St. is very by-the-book but Ben is one of the cooler EB employees I've met . . . I haven't done much at Southridge so far.

If you buy used games...you should really go to Gamestop then.

I bought a used GBA game at a local Gamestop a few weeks ago and was told by the employee that I had 7 days to return the game for a full refund for any reason. He specifically said for any reason...too hard, beat it, not fun etc. I returned the game a few days later after I started getting bored of it.

[quote name='azn099']If you buy used games...you should really go to Gamestop then.

I bought a used GBA game at a local Gamestop a few weeks ago and was told by the employee that I had 7 days to return the game for a full refund for any reason. He specifically said for any reason...too hard, beat it, not fun etc. I returned the game a few days later after I started getting bored of it.[/QUOTE]

I've used this policy a few times, just because I bought used games that ended up being shitty. They never gave me a problem about it... they'll try and push for credit instead of cash, but they'll give you cash if there is nothing else you want.

sucks..just how they like give you .25 cents for a 2003 game. Yeah nobody plays them really, but at least do like somethin like trade in a 2003 game and get 5-10 bucks off the 2004..

bread's done
Back