I cant stand Greatest Hits!

Tecka

CAGiversary!
I don't know what my problem is but I can't stand getting a game that is Greatest Hits.

I just picked up a PS3 and wanted to start my game collection and some of these games seem to only be greatest hits!

Does anyone else have my OCD about this?

If you're a collector, Greatest Hits editions definitely detract from the game's value. I'm not too keen on having GH versions of most of the PSX Final Fantasy games, but it's not really that big of a deal for me. If I were to resell them, however, I'd probably want the non-GH versions to maximize profit. I think the biggest reason behind that is because you know about a million gamers have already bought and played the game before you. Waiting for a price drop on a game doesn't really make you less hardcore, though, only more frivolous with your money.

I used to be real picky about it. And I still prefer buying a (complete) used version at times instead of going for a brand new Greatest Hits edition, but I stopped caring about it.

Around two years ago, I actually traded my FF7 for my friend's FF7 greatest hits edition + him paying for lunch a couple times in a row. I still preferred having the original, but far from as much as him.

Yeah, I hate it. I've got one GH game in my collection and it drives me nuts. It's Silent Hill 2 for the PS2, and I only got the GH version because it has a bunch of stuff that's not in the black label version.

I certainly prefer an original edition, but I don't mind GH if that's what I can get- maybe becuase my game collection is, for the most part, behind a cabinet door so I can't see the spines.

For those it bothers though- have you ever considered just replacing the art insert? Since for most, the issue is asthetics, wouldn't that fix the problem? Or would knowing the 'innards' are GH be too much?

Doesn't bother me at all. If the red cases bother you just switch them out for some cheap (~$1/each) clear Blu-ray cases.

I don't really mind. I'm much more concerned with items that are not complete or have major scratches/case scuffs. That's why I starting to dislike ebay. Everything is always "like new" in excellent condition, and they can't seem to take a picture that shows any of the damage.

I too cannot stand Greatest Hits. My entire PS3 collection has been free of Greatest Hits until recently when I purchased Midnight Club LA: Complete Edition due to the additional bonus content. I plan on replacing the red case the minute I can get my hands on an extra clear PS3 case... :)

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I don't really mind. I'm much more concerned with items that are not complete or have major scratches/case scuffs. That's why I starting to dislike ebay. Everything is always "like new" in excellent condition, and they can't seem to take a picture that shows any of the damage.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Particularly the bit about ebay and the rampant overstatement of item condition. I will only consider ebay as an absolute last resort if I want an item, and I mean absolute.

I don't mind GH that much, particularly if you can get a GH version that contains more content than the original game (for example Mass Effect GH had some bonus stuff plus one of the DLC packs included).

If a particular GH features no extra content over the standard version, I will prefer the original, but typically can't justify paying extra for the original over the GH just for the artwork. An example of this in my collection is Bioshock. I got it from goozex so I did not really have a say in the matter, but I was glad that I received an original copy with the standard cover and cardboard sleeve as opposed to the PH version.

I will admit the old style platinum hits covers on the 360 were hideous, and I might be willing to pay a small premium to get an original artwork copy, but the new design is a lot better and I am not as concerned about those.

Ruahrc

Not usually, but the one game I really want to get a non-GH copy of is the first Sly Cooper, since said black label version's cover art is completely different (and much better). Also, it's the only game in the trilogy I have that's not black label, so it kind of stands out.

[quote name='Darrith']Doesn't bother me at all. If the red cases bother you just switch them out for some cheap (~$1/each) clear Blu-ray cases.[/QUOTE]
This is the correct solution instead of people whining about a deal because they're worried about the color of the case or what version of the artwork they're going to get.:booty:

Games are meant to be played.

even before i started keeping all of games in binders, since its easier to keep 4 or 5 binders away from 4 kids under 5 than it is 300 cases, it never really bothered me. i will say i have been picky about which version before though especially a couple of ps2 games i think they were dbz games and the greatest hits actually played different and was missing a character that the black label had so i got both versions. then again i also bought all 3 versions of soul calibur 2 so maybe my opinion doesnt count

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is the correct solution instead of people whining about a deal because they're worried about the color of the case or what version of the artwork they're going to get.:booty:

Games are meant to be played.[/QUOTE]

This. I'd much rather own a brand new GH game for $10 than pay $15+ for the same game with non-GH artwork. I'm buying the game for the content on the discs, not what the case looks like.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I will admit the old style platinum hits covers on the 360 were hideous, and I might be willing to pay a small premium to get an original artwork copy, but the new design is a lot better and I am not as concerned about those.[/quote]

I do agree with this - those old-style 360 Platinum Hits cases are ugly as sin. I have no idea how an art department came up with this idea and everyone decided "Yes, this is the perfect Platinum Hits design!" I have the Plat Hits Bioshock, that's the only 360 / PS3 GH/PH game I own that I would prefer to have the original artwork.

I'm with ya. I HATE any form of greatest hits. I purged my collection of every last one I had over the summer, and I plan on keeping it that way!

Can't really say I have ever not bought a game that made it to greatest hits that I wanted.. I always buy them right when they come out.

That said, my "collection" has about 3 games in it. Once I am done, I am done and off it goes for someone else to enjoy.

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']It's not a big deal.

A video game collection? Please tell me you're all 15 years old and live with your parents still.[/QUOTE]

Refer to:

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']I have exactly 400 MSP after buying expansion 3 for MTG.

What should I get?[/QUOTE]

GH/PH/PC/etc doesn't really bug me. I guess it's because I buy the games to play them, and the cases simply sit on my bookcase.

What I did find a small bit frustrating is that, in my entire collection, there is one game I have that isn't in the right colored case, because it was bought off GameStop.com, and that is Star Fox Adventures for the GameCube. It ended up shipping in an Xbox game case, and for some reason I just never got around to swapping the cases around and fixing it. It just kinda bugs me to have my GCN collection be all nice and perfect except for one green case.

Maybe I'll do that this weekend while I'm likely moving the furniture around in my room and having to move all the cases anyway.

[quote name='helluvagood']Couldn't care really. For me games are for playing, and GH usually have added DLC as a bonus and are cheaper anyways. Win-win for me.[/QUOTE]

100% agree with this post. I admit I cared about this in the past, but the thing is non-GH versions don't seem to raise value all that much (only a few bucks) and the other problem is that these games went GH for a reason (they sold a lot of copies) so it's not as if any of them are rare so even from a collector's standpoint, it's just not worth the hassle.

I used to care a lot but now I don't. I just complete games now and sell them off after I'm done. Black label does have better resale value but if I can buy a greatest hits game for cheaper, I'm all for it.

I don't like Greatest Hits either. I prefer originals but if the price is right I'll settle for a greatest hits and just sell it later.

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']I still get laid.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who feels the need to say that, especially on a video game deal site, has insecurity issues.

[quote name='salty tbone']Anyone who feels the need to say that, especially on a video game deal site, has insecurity issues.[/QUOTE]

Well said :applause:

I totally agree with some people on here. The red cases just irritate the crap outta me, they just are just not as asthetically pleasing when next to the 50+ clear cases that make up some of my collection. I steer clear of any GH collections at all costs. I guess I suffer from some minor sort of ADD. Hey at least i'm not having to count the steps to my door backwards.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So then I guess you'll hate it if you get a PS3, since they went from the Spiderman font for the spines to a different looking version of the same logo.:roll:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='waxHead']There are definitely things in life which should frustrate and/or anger you. This is not one of them.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I never liked the Spiderman font. But, yes. It wouldn't ANGER me, it just makes me grunt like the four assed monkey from south park. They just look like crap on my shelf from a distance or up close. They are like zits or black heads on a perfect face.

I don't mind GH, but I prefer my games all to have the same case design (NEW PS3 logo as opposed to OLD). This is the only thing stopping me from buying MGS4 GH at Gamestop for $10, I want the version with the newer logo.

I have slight OCD in many things though. I had never thought of switching the red cases for clear ones. That doesn't really bother me though. As long as the font matches, I'm good to go...

Game is the same (sometimes better, when GH's include DLC content and stuff), price is way better. Many games have different colored cases anyway (Halo steel cases, New Super Mario Bros Wii, etc). So, yeah, my cheap ass is all for it. I almost never sell games anyway (though I probably should).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='alongx']Pic or it didn't happen.

I honestly don't believe it.[/QUOTE]
Either do I. Especially because his name is "UrAllVirgins".. what are you, twelve?

OT: I don't mind GH cases. Games are for playing. Then again, I don't really 'collect' games, I play them and then store them away for later.. and many games I play don't make it to GH (ex, Persona 4)

In my case, it's mostly OCD.

For example, I can't buy Platinum Hits / Player's Choice / Greatest Hits / Game of the Year Edition... I just can't. I hate the packaging. And I also can't buy regular edition of the games if I know there is a Collector's Edition / Limited Edition...

I know, I'm lame.

It's the same with the Blu-ray movies and the slipcovers. I have hunted slipcovers at retail stores because Amazon has sent me movies without the slipcover.

I wouldn't mind if all my PS3 games had the Greatest Hits case art. All the cases with the same style is what I go for. I just group the Greatest Hits together and non-Greatest Hits together.

I guess I am somewhat the opposite...I can't stand owning a "regular" edition of a game when a GOTY edition or "special edition" comes out later and includes a bunch of extra crap. At that point I can't help but feel like I own the inferior version and I just want to get rid of it for the GOTY version.

This happened with LBP, Borderlands, and Fallout 3...now I feel like I don't want to buy LBP2 because a "GOTY" version will arrive in about a year and I'll have to have that version. It's lame, but that's my version of OCD.

[quote name='JoshTX']I guess I am somewhat the opposite...I can't stand owning a "regular" edition of a game when a GOTY edition or "special edition" comes out later and includes a bunch of extra crap. At that point I can't help but feel like I own the inferior version and I just want to get rid of it for the GOTY version.

This happened with LBP, Borderlands, and Fallout 3...now I feel like I don't want to buy LBP2 because a "GOTY" version will arrive in about a year and I'll have to have that version. It's lame, but that's my version of OCD.[/QUOTE]

makes a whole lot of sense to me. i'm the same way. it's probably one of the reasons why i haven't picked up games like Fable 3 or mass effect 2. i know that there will be platinum hits versions that include all the DLC on them and that's the version i want.

don't care much for the packaging (GH/PH, etc. - don't care). I only care that I have the complete version. Not a fan of DLC so I love the versions when all the content is put on-disc.

[quote name='UrAllVirgins']What? It's a fun game. I don't have a video game collection.

I still get laid.[/QUOTE] I don't have much of a collection anymore. But I used to have a huge collection of games. And a girlfriend. WOW! AMAZING!

[quote name='waxHead']This. I'd much rather own a brand new GH game for $10 than pay $15+ for the same game with non-GH artwork. I'm buying the game for the content on the discs, not what the case looks like.

I do agree with this - those old-style 360 Platinum Hits cases are ugly as sin. I have no idea how an art department came up with this idea and everyone decided "Yes, this is the perfect Platinum Hits design!" I have the Plat Hits Bioshock, that's the only 360 / PS3 GH/PH game I own that I would prefer to have the original artwork.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the old 360 PH. Most of mine were from club.bing so I really can't complain. But yeah with DLC packed on like Forza 2, it's sorta dumb to go with the normal, unless you have money to burn.

bread's done
Back