I complain about life too much. How can I learn to find more value in the things ...

help1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
that I have?

I feel like my biggest problem is that whenever I get hyped for something, I expect it to be completely awesome, or else I start picking out the negatives and making it out to be a disappointment.

What the fuck is wrong with me.

I always think about how bad life COULD be.

Living in a wealthy (whether you believe it or not) country with the ability to play video games and use the internet. It's not all that bad.

Just go google any random country in Africa. You'll see how lucky you really are.

[quote name='DrMunkee']I always think about how bad life COULD be.

Living in a wealthy (whether you believe it or not) country with the ability to play video games and use the internet. It's not all that bad.

Just go google any random country in Africa. You'll see how lucky you really are.[/QUOTE]

True.

I think a lot of this comes with age and experience. Younger folks tend to take things for granted. I know personally, I took my health for granted until something terrible happened to me. Now I really try to enjoy my life the best I can. Be proud of what you have accomplished. Stop and enjoy the little things. Make the best of your current situation. Be glad you're in America where you have many luxuries that a good portion of the world simply doesn't have.

mtxbass1 pretty much nailed it. I would just add that with age and experience you realize that not all good things last, but then not all bad things last either. Life goes in cycles, and just realize that and enjoy the moment.

Just learning to focus on the positives. Live has it's ups and downs, and if you focus on the latter you will be miserable.

It's also having the courage to make changes when you're not happy. Too many people stay in things like bad relationships, or jobs they hate etc. as they're afraid to take a chance and make a change.

Get married, have a kid, realize you have near zero time to actually do anything else but work sleep eat and watch the kid. Suddenly a whole lot of seemingly unimportant little things start to have great value to you.

[quote name='keithp']mtxbass1 pretty much nailed it. I would just add that with age and experience you realize that not all good things last, but then not all bad things last either. Life goes in cycles, and just realize that and enjoy the moment.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Our brains are all different. Whether nature or nurture, doesn't matter, we have different DNA and different surroundings, we all think differently. If there was any shortcut in the pursuit of happiness it'd be the most common, widespread knowledge. But there isn't. That's why counselors primarily *listen* instead of *talk* to you. Only you can figure yourself out. Counselors are often able to help guide you (through your own thoughts) better than anyone else, though, as they have more training/experience doing it than anyone else. My academic advisor once told me "everyone should see a counselor until they appreciate what the counselor has given them," I fully agree with it now but didn't quite understand what she meant at the time. There's a certain stigma attached to counseling because people usually associate it with having some sort of problem-- that's fucked up, IMO. If you find yourself having thoughts that you dislike (and who doesn't?), seeing a counselor is a great idea.

bread's done
Back