I don't like to share my PS3!

RanchLizard

CAGiversary!
Anyone know how to lock down the PS3 somehow so only I can really be the one to turn it on, or at least make it work?

Basically, I don't mind if people use the PS3. OK, I do mind if certain people use the PS3, so I will say no to them. But I want everyone to have to ask me if they can use it. Any ideas?

Like when the in laws come and stay, I don't want just anyone to be able to go down to the basement and start using it, like when I am at work. Maybe that's selfish, but they can use other stuff that I don't care about, like the Wii. ;) And we have other DVD players they can use! So quit using my PS3!!! :bomb: :)

Maybe just hide the controller? But they can still turn the system on. There's no way to lock out the power button, right? Maybe there is something obvious that I'm missing?

install linux on it. Then shut linux down. From there on it's password protected. Since they don't own a PS3 they have no idea how to get back into it.

Buy a copy of Beowulf and take your games with you to work. Leave Beowulf as their option.

The easiest thing to do is hide the controllers. It's simple, but it works. Nobody will want to turn on your PS3 unless they think they can play games. If you think your guests might have the nerve to root through your stuff in order to find a controller, politely tell them ahead of time that you do not wish for the PS3 to become a distraction while they're over.

Take all of your PS3 game cases, buy the equivalent Xbox 360 game and stick the Xbox 360 game discs in the PS3 case.

People are lazy, I would just turn off the power switch in the back and unplug it. Maybe hide the controller, or bring it with you to work.

Heh, I did the opposite, I told people to feel free to play it. But I also told them to make their own account on it in order to not write over my saves. No one touches it.

[quote name='heavyd853']I'm with whoever suggested the sentry.[/quote]

Buildin a SENTRY solves 90% of life's problems.

Ask them for a $499 security deposit? ;)

Geez, if you are that concerned about these people then why are you leaving them alone in your home.

Hey OP! this is an old problem, and I have the answer, this method that I have developed to keep others from playing the console, works like a charm...

Method I - disconnet the A/V cables from the television; this method will work if you don't have persons who are bold enogh to go and try to connect them, however if they are bold enough to connect the cables and then play, I have another method.

Method II - Disconnect your PS3 power cord when you're away from the PS3 Entertainment Center. You can either keep it with you, or rather hide it somewhere in your basement area, where only you know where it is.

Method III disconfigure the PS3 not to work with your TV. For instance, if you know your tv doesn't have an HDMI output, then configure it to work via HDMI, that way when people try to cut it on they don't get a picuture, when you come back, you reconfigure the PS3 [hold down power button] and it'll reconfigure itself for you. Or if you have HDMI and that's what you're using, when you leave configure it to work via the components, that way no picture shows and you can come back and reconfigure it correctly later.

Nothing works better than just telling them to leave your shit alone... if anyone says that its selfish then ask them where was their money when you were paying 400-600 dollars for your console. If they say they got money to pay now, then immediately point them to the nearest PS3 retailer in your neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if your in-laws are spies and they sap your sentry? Use your teleporter to get home real fast. Then you'll need to hit them on the head with a wrench.

I'm kind of with Chodex on this one. What is it that you don't want them to do or use? There's gotta be a reason why you don't want them to play (and I'm sure it's not because you just like being an ass).

If you don't want them fucking with your saved games, tell them they can play it but they need to sign in under a different account. If you're worried about them breaking it, then tell them it cost $500 and it's coming out of their ass if something doesn't work.

I'm sorry, but if you have in-laws it means you're big enough to get married; how about you be big enough to treat them how you would want to be treated. Better yet, if you're uncomfortable telling them, how about you ask your wife to talk to them.

Sabotaging your own equipment doesn't sound like a good solution to your problem.

[quote name='Thongsy']People are lazy, I would just turn off the power switch in the back and unplug it. Maybe hide the controller, or bring it with you to work.[/quote]

This is the most passively-aggresive thing I've read yet. Grow a pair and talk to the people you don't want playing your PS3. :roll:

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas! Here is what I have decided to do every night before I go to sleep:

• First I will disconnect the PS3 from the TV and home theater receiver
  • Then I will carefully remove the hard drive from the PS3
  • Next I will place all of the cables and the console back in the original box
  • The hard drive I will stick down my pants
  • The boxed-up console will be placed in a water-tight safe
  • Then I will put the safe in the trunk of my car and drive to the lake
  • I will purchase a row boat to keep at the lake; using the moonlight to see, I will quietly row the boat to a secluded cove and dump the safe in the water
  • Then I will drive back home and go to sleep
  • On my way home from work everyday, I will stop and use SCUBA gear get the safe and bring it home and set the console back up
  • I will use Vaseline to help ease the chaffing caused by keeping the hard drive in my pants.

I think that's a good plan!

(Or, on second thought, maybe I will just tell them to be careful with it and not worry too much. And maybe turn the power off in the back to keep the youngest kids from turning it on... :lol:)

[quote name='regis100'](Or, on second thought, maybe I will just tell them to be careful with it and not worry too much. And maybe turn the power off in the back to keep the youngest kids from turning it on... :lol:)[/quote]

This plan is Epic Fail. Go with the sentry.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I'm kind of with Chodex on this one. What is it that you don't want them to do or use? There's gotta be a reason why you don't want them to play (and I'm sure it's not because you just like being an ass).

[/QUOTE]

I've have the same preferences as the OP only because games are left out, put in the wrong cases, and the game I am playing is never put back into the system. If they could take care of those things, I wouldn't have a problem.

Rather than sabotaging anything, I give them the rules (above). If they fail to follow them, they don't get to play.

a low rent method is to unplug the video cables of the ps3 and then just put a piece of paper on it saying "broken ps3, do not touch, repairman coming" this way you don't have to hurt anyone's feelings cause they'll think you are getting it fixed. You don't want your bitter in-laws to sabatoge your ps3 out of spite when you are not there cause you don't want them to play right?

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I'm kind of with Chodex on this one. What is it that you don't want them to do or use? There's gotta be a reason why you don't want them to play (and I'm sure it's not because you just like being an ass).

If you don't want them fucking with your saved games, tell them they can play it but they need to sign in under a different account. If you're worried about them breaking it, then tell them it cost $500 and it's coming out of their ass if something doesn't work.

I'm sorry, but if you have in-laws it means you're big enough to get married; how about you be big enough to treat them how you would want to be treated. Better yet, if you're uncomfortable telling them, how about you ask your wife to talk to them.

Sabotaging your own equipment doesn't sound like a good solution to your problem.[/quote]

He's marrying his wife not the in-laws.

I sympathize with him, if the in-laws' brat breaks the PS3, what is he going to get for his broken $500 machine besides an "I'm sorry, but little Johnny was throwing a tantrum". Money changes everything, and any attempt to get family to pay for stuff is likely to cause bad blood. Better to avoid the issue in the first place. Besides, the guy has a Wii, how much videogame entertainment do visiting in-laws require?

I kind of feel the OP's pain, since I have a buddy whose nieces once tripped over the controller wire for my one PS2 and ever after that it kept freezing on games. Had I known what I know now about games and systems back then, I would've easily realigned the laser myself and not dumped it off on Gamestop or whoever.

But, I was a guest in THEIR home, so what was I to say? You and your kids owe me a PS2 because they fuckin' tripped over it? That would've just caused bad blood, so I let it go.

But now my buddies one nephew is a grabby sob and grabs my games when I bring them over, asking 'what did I bring'. Only thing is, he's a fuckin' klutz who drops shit constantly. This is why I wait till he goes home for the night before bringing my stuff in.

As for the OP's problem, just tell them that you want them to be careful and to not allow any of the younger kids to play it, since younger kids seem to not know what shit costs and will just treat it like they treat their own stuff.

Unplug everything, put the system on a shelf in your closet and if anyone asks where the PS3 is, you say "Who wants ice cream??"

It's tough because people never treat things with respect if they didn't pay for them. Nothing is worse than walking in the door after work and hearing "Oh, by the way honey, my little brother couldn't figure out how to save his game so he deleted all of yours. He said something about no way anyone could play Disgaea for 200 hours so something must've been wrong." I wonder how mature alot of you would be in that situation.

Easy thing to do is just let everyone know it's off limits because it's been acting funny. No one wants to be responsible for breaking something so telling them it's close to breaking should get people off of it.

oh yes i will add that i feel your pain, I'm not married but my roommate last year in college was like a fuck 8 year old, and sometimes talking doesn't work, and people seriously don't have any respect for what things cost. He raped my buddies xbox and stole my car on multiple occasions (found out about it when he got a ticket, and then found out that he had done it multiple times) and even though i proceeded to tear into him, and then have a reasonable talk with him telling him that all of my things are off limits, he took my buddies car two days later. He was a freaking idiot and moral of the story is that often times people don't listen or care.

and i must agree that you marry the gal and not the in-laws

^^ Reporting the car stolen would've fixed alot of your problems. "Borrowing" a movie or a game is bad enough. Stealing a car is effin ridiculous.

[quote name='depascal22']It's tough because people never treat things with respect if they didn't pay for them. Nothing is worse than walking in the door after work and hearing "Oh, by the way honey, my little brother couldn't figure out how to save his game so he deleted all of yours. He said something about no way anyone could play Disgaea for 200 hours so something must've been wrong." I wonder how mature alot of you would be in that situation.

Easy thing to do is just let everyone know it's off limits because it's been acting funny. No one wants to be responsible for breaking something so telling them it's close to breaking should get people off of it.[/quote]

Well, first of all, I keep backups of my game saves on a seperate memory card I only use as an archive. Second, I would never have 200 hours(or even one) in on a game like Disgaea, since they're not my thing. However, I would think homicidal thoughts if someone accidentally deleted BOTH copies of the $200 million plus Vice City save I have.

Sure, it's not 100% complete(since I can't find the last 2-5 friggin' packages), but it took innumerable hours playing with the Hunter attack chopper doing vigilante missions to get it to $200 mil plus. So yeah, I would be PISSED.

However, I see a problem with telling someone that your system has been 'acting up'. Hopefully, the OP doesn't have a father in law who likes to 'tinker' with electronics or he may come home after mentioning that the system has been acting weird to find it all in pieces because 'dad' tried to take it apart to 'fix it'.

So, as others have said, stash it in your closet if you don't want it played with.

again. Just install linux and have it set up to that when your inlaws come in. Being greeted by a text screen that says user name and password makes most people give up.

[quote name='Paco']again. Just install linux and have it set up to that when your inlaws come in. Being greeted by a text screen that says user name and password makes most people give up.[/quote]

Or hit the machine. Some people think that the cure for any error is to hit the machine. Hard.

I have to admit, when I'm at my wit's end on how to fix something I give it a small thump myself to see if that knocks any part into place - and it has worked at least once. But I'm just giving it a love tap - most people hit it hard at least partly out of frustration.

Yeah because a screen that says USERNAME and PASSWORD means it's broken? It should mean. YOU NEED ACCESS TO GET ON DIPSHIT.

I guess it's just easier to be an adult and say. "Please don't mess with the PS3. If you would like to watch movies, there's a DVD player. If you want to play games, there's a Wii." The problem is if you have a nice Blu-Ray collection, people are gonna want to watch Blu-Rays instead of regular old DVDs that they can watch at home.

[quote name='depascal22']I guess it's just easier to be an adult and say. "Please don't mess with the PS3. If you would like to watch movies, there's a DVD player. If you want to play games, there's a Wii." The problem is if you have a nice Blu-Ray collection, people are gonna want to watch Blu-Rays instead of regular old DVDs that they can watch at home.[/quote]

Exactly because someone else's kid is going to listen to a stranger when they're staring down a shiny toy all day.

[quote name='camoor']Exactly because someone else's kid is going to listen to a stranger when they're staring down a shiny toy all day.[/quote]

Except the OP is talking about his in-laws.......If you can't reason with them, then pack up the system until they leave.

As for kids that are visiting, I've got an easy solution. Actually play the games with them when you're home. Let them check it out while supervised while making it perfectly clear that they can't use it when no one is there. Tell them if they mess with it unsupervised, it goes in the closet until they leave. Treat kids like people instead of little bastards and they usually reciprocate. I know some kids are brats but you gotta know those are the kids you pack the system up for. Some people don't like to make scenes but I have no problem telling someone that their kids are out of control and they can either get them under control or find the door. Yeah, it's the in-laws or family but so what? When did it become OK to be a nuisance to family just because you're visiting? Lay down the law early and you won't have problems later in the marriage because they walk all over you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='depascal22']I guess it's just easier to be an adult and say. "Please don't mess with the PS3. If you would like to watch movies, there's a DVD player. If you want to play games, there's a Wii." The problem is if you have a nice Blu-Ray collection, people are gonna want to watch Blu-Rays instead of regular old DVDs that they can watch at home.[/quote]

You mean people actually watch movies on their GAME systems? :roll::roll: I must be the only person who has owned multiple PS2's and currently has a PS3 and NOT ONCE did it even cross my mind to play a movie on something I bought to play games on.

It's a nice function to have for the videophile who will use it, but the majority of consumers are as content as I am to just play regular old DVD's we got uber cheap from the almost weekly Circuit City and Best Buy sales and play them on a regular dvd player to boot.

As for the brats, I have no qualms about letting someone know when they should muzzle their 'little darlings'. Maybe I'm in the wrong to be so blunt about it, but when the parents are at a restaurant with the lil b's and they just sit there and act like they can't hear or see the lil pests screaming their fuckin' heads off at the top of their lungs, but everyone else is very annoyed with them, then you can bet that even if I don't speak up, I'll be sitting there giving mommy and daddy dearest the 'dagger stare'.

bread's done
Back