I enjoyed Jak and Daxter 3 and the final PS2 Ratchet game, so my Q is....

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
How are the prequels? I wouldn't mind picking up one on the cheap. It seems like most people thought the two in my title were vastly superior?

If I'm wrong, let me know ;)

Also, how are the Sly Cooper games? Do you think I would like them if I enjoyed the above platformers?

I didn't really like the first Ratchet and Clank, I never played the other ones, but they were supposed to be quite a bit better than the first. The first is more of a platformer than a shooter.

I loved the first Jak game.

Absolutely positively developed a frothing /hate/ for Jak 2. So much that during a play session I ejected the game, shoved it into its case, and immediately drove to the closest EB and traded it towards something else.

Difficult in a 'punish the player' way. I don't know how else to put it, and I don't want to think about the game long enough to go into greater detail.

I'll have to read Jak 3 reviews and see how they were.

I enjoyed all of the Ratchet and Clank games, but the first one is the weakest in the series. Still loads of fun.

I have played and loved every Ratchet and Clank game, actually, Deadlocked was kind of a disappointment. I have also played every Jak and Daxter game and loved them just as much as I did Ratchet and Clank, and I love Ratchet and Clank games. About Sly Cooper, I have, again, played every one of those and liked them a lot. The first two were amazing, and the third one was kinda weird, very fun, but the ending seemed to have come out of nowhere and the voices seemed completely different. So, in conclusion, I would pick up every Jak and Daxter, every Ratchet and Clank, and every Sly Cooper, they are all the best platforming games on the PS2.

I've loved all the R&C games but after playing the later versions of them, I felt the original was quite a bit weaker than the others.

I played Jak 3 first and thought it was an amazing game. Then I played II and found it to be fun but it lacked the polish of 3 and was much more frustrating. I played Jak & Daxter last and thought it was pretty good (and not frustrating) but not as interesting as 3 - it was more a generic platformer. A good (perhaps great) generic platformer, but a generic platformer nonetheless.

Deadlocked multiplayer was spot on.

Of R&C, I would say Up Your Arsenal was my favorite, followed by Going Commando. All of them are well worth the time for story and humor.

Jak & Daxter is still my favorite of the Jak trilogy. Jak II took the series in a very different direction (trying to compete with R&C?). Jak III had some of the series humor back, and seemed to be a good balance between the two games - much like the Prince of Persia trilogy.

Sly, I'm sad to say, has been sitting sealed on my shelf for months. I played a demo of it years ago and found it very enjoyable.

Ratchet Games (I'm a little biased, because its probably my favourite Franchise. Be advised, 9+ from me is really rare).

Ratchet and Clank: didn't really enjoy it, couldn't get into it
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando: 8.5
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal: 9.5
Ratchet: Deadlocked: 7.2
Ratchet and Clank: Future Tools of Destruction: 9.8

As it stands right now, RAC: Future is probably my favourite game of all time. Sure, its not all that long, and quite simple, but I have never experienced such a thrill as I did while playing RAC.
And you want to play Up Your Arsenal. In my top 5 ever as well.

I remember getting Going Commando AFTER playing Up Your Arsenal. I didn't play Going Commando more than one sitting. Maybe I am just picky though.

As another note, you may have read some of the other threads about the upcoming PSP port of Size Matters.

Amazon has it up for a March 11 release, though I don't think anything official has been stated.

Jak 2 really frustrated me while trying to play it because there were way too many "Get from point A to point B within a certain amount of time while stuff is shooting at you, oh and by the way anything you hit sends you flying and if you brush against a guard, you're toast" After a while, I just said "To hell with it"

The first games in all three series are good but not great. Each series took a huge leap forward into greatness with their first sequels, and further refined themselves with the third installments.

Jak II and Jak 3 are pretty similar in my opinion, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you liked Jak II.

Assuming that you're talking about Ratchet Deadlocked, which is the final Ratchet PS2 game (until Size Matters is ported from the PSP), it's pretty different from its predecessors. Its focus is almost entirely on a battle-arena shooter-type of gameplay, which was only one portion of the previous games' adventure platforming. You'll want to try out the older Ratchets before committing to a purchase, just to see if they fit your taste.

I absolutely love the Sly series! I definitely recommend that you give it a shot. I believe wholeheartedly that if you like Ratchet and Jak you'll like Sly.

Of all the platformers on PS2, Ratchet 2 and Sly 2 were probably my favorites.

I got 90% into Jak II (as bone shaking as it was), couldn't get past one of the last labyrinth dungeon puzzle death pit's, lost my memory card. I know never want to play the game again. The friggin races are the worst in that game, and nearly every mission after the first third of the game will make you scream with how hard they are. Great game otherwise. 8/10

Jak and Daxter on the other hand was more of your typical adventure game, where it was collect a bunch of crap and meet up with some guy. Kinda cookie cutter, but still really enjoyable and pretty difficult. 8.5/10

Ratchet and Clank - Ya, this was one of my most anticipated games for the PS2 back in 2002, and it was worth it. Great platforming, insane action (remember, at the time of it's release, it was a revolution for platforming games in that it switched the focus to more action and less of a collect-a-thon). And the story was incredibly well written and funny. Compared to the later installments, it's obviously inferior because it didn't have concepts such as weapon upgrades and level ups, but still one of the premier platforming games on the playstation 2. 9/10

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando - An incredibly modified version of the first game, but not quite as developed as the third. An overall median in the series, and still an incredibly enjoyable game. 9/10

I did not like Jack & Daxter really at all. I played it and beat it, but was not impressed. I say leave platformers of that type to Nintendo and Mario.

Did you guys think the sequels were better or worse then the first? I never bothered to try the rest after the first.

[quote name='b3b0p']I did not like Jack & Daxter really at all. I played it and beat it, but was not impressed. I say leave platformers of that type to Nintendo and Mario.

Did you guys think the sequels were better or worse then the first? I never bothered to try the rest after the first.[/quote]
I thought the sequels were better but they were quite different in gameplay and tone, not to mention difficulty.

Have you played Ratchet or Sly? I think those series are superior to Jak, and definitely hold their own against Mario in the platform genre. Sacrilege, I know, but I'm putting that out there.

Ratchet and Clank Going Commando is good. The first one is good as well, but the gameplay feels outdated compared to the sequels. Sly 1 and 2 are good as well, I couldn't get into 3 myself.

As for the Jak games, Jak 2 is a lot like 3 but Jak 1 is a completely different type of game.

i liked sly 1 but i didnt buy sly 2 or 3
i played ratchet on PSP that game was a lot of fun.

i thought ratchet on psp was more fun then sly 1 but thats cause i got to use big weapons. but sly 1 was fun in its own way because of the awesome character design, i like the whole robbery thing for some reason. so id definitely reccomend sly 1.

bread's done
Back