I Found A Flaw In Gamestop's Buy 2 Get 1 Free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclee4

CAGiversary!
I went to gamestop yesterday and bought saints row(360) 24.99 Call of duty 2(360) 19.99 and prey(360) for free. I went back to the gamestop just a few minutes ago. I had i thought of some better games i could get and wanted to return those those 3 i just named to you. When i was returning them *READ CAREFULLY, HERE IS WHERE I FOUND THE FLAW* the dude behind the counter said that i get 45.00 dollars back but since on the receit it says i payed 00.00 for prey i get to keep it since that was the free game. Then he said wow you just figured out the flaw and then he laughed. BAM! there you go. I took my 45 dollars over to the other gamestop down the road and bought back the SAME 2 GAMES and got prey for free again. Now i have saints row, call of duty 2, and 2 preys.

The guy gave you a game because he felt like it, or because he's a moron. Either way that was such a fluke it's not even YMMV.

Flaw? That sounds like incompetent employee... they're only supposed to let you exchange games, not return them (unless you returned the free one too).

[quote name='jclee4']I went to gamestop yesterday and bought saints row(360) 24.99 Call of duty 2(360) 19.99 and prey(360) for free. I went back to the gamestop just a few minutes ago. I had i thought of some better games i could get and wanted to return those those 3 i just named to you. When i was returning them *READ CAREFULLY, HERE IS WHERE I FOUND THE FLAW* the dude behind the counter said that i get 45.00 dollars back but since on the receit it says i payed 00.00 for prey i get to keep it since that was the free game. Then he said wow you just figured out the flaw and then he laughed. BAM! there you go. I took my 45 dollars over to the other gamestop down the road and bought back the SAME 2 GAMES and got prey for free again. Now i have saints row, call of duty 2, and 2 preys.[/quote]
Not talking about if it is right to do that. You got lucky cause you met a clueless guy. That is it. :applause:

Sorry to tell you but you didn't find a flaw but got lucky because most employees at Gamestop will make you return all three games to get your money back instead of letting you keep the third game.

Trust me if it was that easy they wouldn't run B2G1 free sales there because they would lose money big time.

That's kind of a grey area. It's rather dishonest and you are at the mercy of the cashier when working this. When returning bad dvds from the b2g2 dvd sale sometimes they would refund me the full price of the dvd regardless if it rang up a free or not.

[quote name='Rig']Why exactly do you want two copies of Prey?[/quote]

On the flip side, he did find a "flaw" about GS--occasionally, they hire dumb employees.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']If you were returning the games because you thought of better ones you wanted, why the fuck did you rebuy the same games?[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking. The whole reason you returned them was to get 2 different and better titles I thought. Then you just get the same ones:S

And Ill repeat everyone else when I ask, why did you get two Preys???

You confuse me.

[quote name='Strell']Clearly the OP has a Thunderdome.

Two Preys enter.

One leaves.

Also the winner inherits the loser's power.[/QUOTE]

Who run Bartertown?

Prey run Bartertown!

[quote name='elwood731']Hmm, why would you want 2 Preys? Why not get a different game?[/QUOTE]
Because if he puts both discs in at the same time the game will be twice as long and the graphics will be twice as good.

Duh :roll:

I almost wonder if this guy's is lying because of all the inaccuracies that keep popping up in his story. It just makes no sense.

[quote name='elwood731']I almost wonder if this guy's is lying because of all the inaccuracies that keep popping up in his story. It just makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

agreed ... :bs:

The flaw is asking for a gift receipt for one of the games, or duplicate receipts for just one game, they can't object to such a simple request, simply say "this game is for a cousin, he wanted it for christmas but he never got it"

Then go to another store, use the gift receipt/duplicate single item receipt, and buy another two games, and get the game you returned for free.

Therefore you would be at 2 free games and three paid games = )

[quote name='sarausagi']The flaw is asking for a gift receipt for one of the games, or duplicate receipts for each game individually, they can't object to such a simple request, simply say "this game is for a cousin, he wanted it for christmas but he never got it"

Then go to another store, use the gift receipt/duplicate single item receipt, and get another game, buy a second one cash, and get a second free game for the price of one.[/QUOTE]

Evil.

I like it.

[quote name='sarausagi']The flaw is asking for a gift receipt for one of the games, or duplicate receipts for just one game, they can't object to such a simple request, simply say "this game is for a cousin, he wanted it for christmas but he never got it"

Then go to another store, use the gift receipt/duplicate single item receipt, and buy another two games, and get the game you returned for free.

Therefore you would be at 2 free games and three paid games = )[/quote]

You will rule the world!

drevil_million_dollars.jpg
http://arbyte.us/blog_archive/2005/11/drevil_million_dollars.jpg

I got 2 preys. One for me and my friend. I was going to let him borrow mine but now he has his own copy. I like the different feedbacks. Keep them coming.:)

That guy behind the counter is a moron and if corporate learned about this they'd probably can him for it. Gamestop policy for sales like this is to deduct the value of the free game from all three games. Count yourself lucky.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can we get a lock on this? There is no "flaw" other than a dishonest employee and customer.[/QUOTE]

Umm, I posted the -real- flaw.

I'm glad there is now a real flaw posted so a bunch of CAG's can now run this sale into the ground, thereby causing Gamestop / EB to decide to pull the plug on any future b2g1 free's, because 1/2 of the people on this site have no self restraint and will abuse this for all its worth.

Yay!

[quote name='sarausagi']Umm, I posted the -real- flaw.[/quote]

Which is exactly another reason why this topic needs to be locked.

People WILL abuse this (like they always do). It's no wonder GS only has a sale like this a few times a year (if that).

I'm not wanting people to abuse it, I'm just saying, it works, it's possible, I did it once last year and it worked perfectly, Gamestop keeps a record so if you want to use MORE/EDGE and coupons, you need to do it at the most twice..everytime you do a return they take your name/address down so that's why you should only do it twice at the most.

I had a similar, though different experience at Gamerush yesterday. A B2G1 free game purchased the day before, I returned the awful Terminator:Rise of the Machines game with a story about having trouble booting it up (I lied of course, but the disc was already scratched enough to feasably support my claim) and they credited the $5 it would have cost to my account - money I could have conceivably put towards another B2G1 free purchase (if I hadn't put it towards a new clearance game)! So altogether it could have been 3 games that I paid full price for, 1 purchased with the credit from returning the free game, and another game totally free = 2 games! It could have been somewhat lucrative with a more expensive game.

Not quite as good a deal as the original topic, but more worthwhile because I didn't just make it up! Just be warned that a bit of bluffing is required. :^o

Now go to the second GS, and return those two same games that you bought. If you are lucky they will let you keep Prey again. Then go to a third GS buy those same two games and get a third Prey free.

Three free Preys is something to brag about.

This very thing happened to me a year or two ago. I tried to return some b2g1 free games and the dopey employee (who was like 16) let me keep the 'free' game. Unfortunately that free game was Capcom Fighting Jam, or whatever that pos game was called.

I don't know about Gamestop's POS system but typically when there is a free game offer, that price point of the free game is deducted equally off the entire 3 games... thus your not really getting a free game but the amount off your total.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't know about Gamestop's POS system but typically when there is a free game offer, that price point of the free game is deducted equally off the entire 3 games... thus your not really getting a free game but the amount off your total.[/quote]

Nope, one game rings up at 0.00.

he's going to post an update in a few days where he has done this 'flaw' 10 more times and got 10 more free copies of prey

[quote name='Cracka']he's going to post an update in a few days where he has done this 'flaw' 10 more times and got 10 more free copies of prey[/QUOTE]
I think if he plays through all 10 copies he gets a special save file, that when you put all 10 discs in at once and load the save you are able to play Prey 2.

I dunno if this falls into the same category or not, but here goes. I did the b2g1 yesterday at 2 different stores and picked up NFS:C and PGR3 as the free games. The two stores I went to didn't have the collectors edition of Carbon and Saint's Row, but I found another store that did. I took Carbon and PGR3 to the other store and swapped them out for SR and the collectors edition and somehow wound up getting back 2.50 instead of it being an even swap being the games were the same amount as the games that I took back. The person who was running the register knew me and knew that I had an EDGE card and scanned it, that is the reason why I got the money back....seems weird though.

[quote name='Darkbandit']I dunno if this falls into the same category or not, but here goes. I did the b2g1 yesterday at 2 different stores and picked up NFS:C and PGR3 as the free games. The two stores I went to didn't have the collectors edition of Carbon and Saint's Row, but I found another store that did. I took Carbon and PGR3 to the other store and swapped them out for SR and the collectors edition and somehow wound up getting back 2.50 instead of it being an even swap being the games were the same amount as the games that I took back. The person who was running the register knew me and knew that I had an EDGE card and scanned it, that is the reason why I got the money back....seems weird though.[/quote]

He most likely returned all of your games and then re-rang them through the register with the EDGE card.

So meaning that I didn't take all the games in, just the two that I got free they could re-ring it up? Looking that the receipt it shows where the two games were the full price and where I got the other games it shows the price after the EDGE card was used.

[quote name='jclee4']*READ CAREFULLY, HERE IS WHERE I FOUND THE FLAW*[/quote]

I read carelessly and really fucked up my spine. I'll always follow rules from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back