I FUCKING hate EB

bignick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I went to see if they had Island Thunder new for $15. They did. I called up manimal and told him. He was pumped too. Now we can play that with his brother on live. I get up to the counter, and the bitch tried to pull the its new, just the display copy shit. fuckING BITCH. I hate EB. If I wanted a used game, I would have bought it. I asked if I would be charged the same price and the bitch says yes.

heart break kid : shawn michaels, and i forgot other guy get the pile driver. or whatevers.

i had the same thing happen, when i was at game crazy, there was a new ICO, and an OLD one, both 19.99. and i wanted ICO, so the guy gets out of the cashier's desk, gos over to used games. and gives me the USED ICO, im like the NEW ICO is same price? i wanted that one. and hes like oh, sorry.

Same thing happened to me this weekend, went into EB to get Hunter the Reckoning: Redeemer, and of course wanted a new copy, and they had 3 on their new shelf, and the dope pulls down one, and starts the process of checking out, and I see it's opened. He proceeds to tell me that it's still new, and I ask if any of the others are still sealed, and he tells me no. 3 Shaq-fuing copies of a game opened, that just ain't right. After I say no, he looks at me funny, and then asks if there was anything I'd like to pre-order while I'm there so this doesn't happen again. I leave shaking my head..... shaq-fuing morons....

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']although i don't like the practice of selling opened games as new, i thought this bs was well-known?[/quote]

It is, and every time it happens to me, I tell myself that this is the last time I am going there. Them some deal whows up, so I have to go there.

[quote name='BigDirty']Same thing happened to me this weekend, went into EB to get Hunter the Reckoning: Redeemer, and of course wanted a new copy, and they had 3 on their new shelf, and the dope pulls down one, and starts the process of checking out, and I see it's opened. He proceeds to tell me that it's still new, and I ask if any of the others are still sealed, and he tells me no. 3 Shaq-fuing copies of a game opened, that just ain't right. After I say no, he looks at me funny, and then asks if there was anything I'd like to pre-order while I'm there so this doesn't happen again. I leave shaking my head..... shaq-fuing morons....[/quote]

That's awesome. The new EB policy. If you want an actual SEALED new game as opposed to just an EB-quality new game you must pre-order.

When I went to pick up my ESPN NFL 2K5 preorder I waited behind a lady who bought 4 display copy GBA games as new, so when I got up I asked the guy to please get a sealed ESPN for me. He gave me attitude "C'
mon Dude, it just came out today of course it's going to be sealed!", but I just let it slide off my back and did leave with a sealed copy.

So I emailed them, here is their responce. What asshats!

Hello Nick,

Thank you for contacting EBgames.com. We apologize for your poor experience in our store and look forward to doing business with you in the future. Happy Gaming!

If you require further assistance, we are available 7 days a week from 8 AM to Midnight EST.

Have a great day!
Anthony
EBgames.com

Wow they didn't give you anything? Email them again. I got a $20 voucher from them once for complaining about their shipping.

[quote name='ex0']Wow they didn't give you anything? Email them again. I got a $20 voucher from them once for complaining about their shipping.[/quote]

Its not worth it.

that is retarted,i am starting a job at gamestop on friday. the whole staff there was really cool and all,i just hope they don't ask me to do stuff like that. knowing companies like that,they are going to ask me to do it and of course if i want to keep a job,i will have to do what they ask.

Same thing happened when I went to buy Megaman Anniversary (GC). The dude was going into the drawer and I asked him if he had it new, as in sealed.

From his response, apparently they open all the games and shove em in the cabinet to fight off "theft".

[quote name='biggestinuyashafan']that is retarted,i am starting a job at gamestop on friday. the whole staff there was really cool and all,i just hope they don't ask me to do stuff like that. knowing companies like that,they are going to ask me to do it and of course if i want to keep a job,i will have to do what they ask.[/quote]

I work at GS and do it without question, none of the customers I had ever gave a shit. If someone had a problem I would ask my manager to handle it since it isn't my place. We ALWAYS have at least one manager on duty, I don't know what the fuck EB is doing. Around here it seems like they only have one fool working at a time too. Oh yeah, and at GS, we only have at max 2 display copies of games, at least at my store (we have more for games that AREN'T out yet though). At EB it seems like they sometimes have 20 which is retarded.

hey, i work with shitty company policies all the time against my will. these poor people are victims just like me: forced to follow horrible policies, created by people in corporate who couldn't tell you the first thing about the job you do for them.

i hated the 'opening of the games' policy that i was forced into while working at gamestop, but i had no choice.

you guys really, instead of being mad at the person, should feel sorry for them, that they have to deal with angry customers ALL THE TIME as the result of their company's stupid policies.

please?

Just try returning an opened game & say it's new, just a display copy, see how far that get's you.

[quote name='BigNick']So I emailed them, here is their responce. What asshats!

Hello Nick,

Thank you for contacting EBgames.com. We apologize for your poor experience in our store and look forward to doing business with you in the future. Happy Gaming!

If you require further assistance, we are available 7 days a week from 8 AM to Midnight EST.

Have a great day!
Anthony
EBgames.com[/quote]

I wish I could just screw someone over and then "look forward to doing business with you in the future".

My wife (fiancee at the time) bought me FF Legend 3 from EB bout 5 years ago. Last copy, yes you guessed it, open, but complete. But she didn't know, and I told her I was very happy. :wink:

great,i get to deal with angry customers because of stupid company policies. oh well,i have to start with a job somewhere.

My local EB handles games the following way.
A) Only one game of each is opened and the empty box is put on the shelf.
B) If you buy a copy of any game they always give you a sealed copy first.
c) The only time they give me a opened game is if it's the last copy and they always ask me if it's O.K. with me ( will I accept an open copy). Most of the time when it's the last copy they reduce the price.
I have no problems with EB and have been treated very fairly over the years.
D) From time to time the management changes and the quality of the store waxes and wanes.

[quote name='biggestinuyashafan']great,i get to deal with angry customers because of stupid company policies. oh well,i have to start with a job somewhere.[/quote]

customers didn't yell at me too much at gamestop, i was moreso referring to my new job, and also all these people who, in the future, may be the target of rage that should be aimed at corporate (including managers - they're still under pressure from corporate people [aka, the shinra]).

so chin up, yo! you won't get yelled at as much as me, probably. =)

[quote name='BigNick']So I emailed them, here is their responce. What asshats!

Hello Nick,

Have a great day!
Anthony
EBgames.com[/quote]

Well, I dont get where you had a "poor experience." You dont agree with their policy regarding displays, but no need to get bent out of shape. It is not going to change. Again, you guys who hate open copies think you represent the majority, but you dont. Not even 5%. Find a way to represent over 1000 titles that is economical and you may be on to something, but this is the cheapest, easiest way.

And dont hate the EB chick. She is just doing her job.

This has been raised before but why instead can't someone (distributor, publisher, etc.) solve this problem by printing DISPLAY BOXES. It's real simple....take a case....get a copy of the game's artwork...voila....problem solved. No opened games being sold as new.

They seem to be able to do this before a game comes out, albeit without the final box art, but still. I guess the most minor of effort to get something like this into place is deemed to high because I guess, 90% of people don't care or don't speak up. The people at the nearest EB/GS's aren't bad, but they do somehow seem to be surprised when I don't want to pay full price for opened...and they're starting to get annoying with the way they try to shove used copies down your throat. Every time you try to buy a new game they start with the "buy it used! Cheaper, and it's guaranteed!" If I'm going to buy used I want it CHEAP, not 44.99. Guaranteed or not, $5 off is not worth it for me to risk possible aggrivation and having to go back to replace the game. Maybe if it was my last $5, but it's not, so I'll stick with new unless it's much cheaper.

[quote name='FREAKMIKE3'][quote name='BigNick']So I emailed them, here is their responce. What asshats!

Hello Nick,

Have a great day!
Anthony
EBgames.com[/quote]

Well, I dont get where you had a "poor experience." You dont agree with their policy regarding displays, but no need to get bent out of shape. It is not going to change. Again, you guys who hate open copies think you represent the majority, but you dont. Not even 5%. Find a way to represent over 1000 titles that is economical and you may be on to something, but this is the cheapest, easiest way.

And dont hate the EB chick. She is just doing her job.[/quote]

See my post. Why not just have an extra few copies of the games artwork and put them in any case?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I work at GS and do it without question, none of the customers I had ever gave a shit. If someone had a problem I would ask my manager to handle it since it isn't my place. We ALWAYS have at least one manager on duty, I don't know what the shaq-fu EB is doing. Around here it seems like they only have one fool working at a time too. Oh yeah, and at GS, we only have at max 2 display copies of games, at least at my store (we have more for games that AREN'T out yet though). At EB it seems like they sometimes have 20 which is retarded.[/quote]

Your Gamestop is the exception, not the rule. I have yet to ever go into a Gamestop where I live where the manager was on duty out front. Actually....there was one time I went into a Gamestop and a manager was out front. That was the day KOTOR came out. In any case, Most Gamestops I've been into have at least 4 gutted copies of all major releases within the past month. As to there being gutted copies of new games to begin with? It's not the stores fault you jerk. They don't get enough marketing materials to display a cover for every game they have in stock. Complain to the game producers to send more marketing materials.
Only reason to complain to the store is if they gut a new copy of a game that they already have adequate marketing sleeves of. (ie games like Halo2 and Fable which they already have fifty billion dvd sleeves for)

What I mean by manager is either the manager or the assistant manager. All three are equally as capable of doing stuff at my work except only the manager can give people cash for trade-ins, which is rare for people to want anyway since they get less value on their games.

The only reasons why we would have 2 copies on display at all for a game is because some newer games are required to be in a system's "Top Five" list and so two copies are displayed there, or if there's a new shipment of an older game and the company asks us to gut it. It's required by the company, and if it wasn't, we wouldn't have more than one gutted. I think it's ridiculous when I walk into an EB and see 20 display copies of a game. WTF do they do, gut all the copies they have?

[quote name='c'][quote name='biggestinuyashafan']great,i get to deal with angry customers because of stupid company policies. oh well,i have to start with a job somewhere.[/quote]

customers didn't yell at me too much at gamestop, i was moreso referring to my new job, and also all these people who, in the future, may be the target of rage that should be aimed at corporate (including managers - they're still under pressure from corporate people [aka, the shinra]).

so chin up, yo! you won't get yelled at as much as me, probably. =)[/quote]

cool,i hope that it works out that way,because sometimes i just have to vent on people after a while and i really don't want to go off on a customer. lucky me,i get to go to the store tomorrow and get me some new clothes for work. i really,really hope that i don't get asked to sell used copies of games as new,because if i wanted to buy a used copy,i would have asked for that. i just hate the idea of ripping people off when i wouldn't like that to happen to me.

[quote name='OutlawJT'][quote name='Dead of Knight']I work at GS and do it without question, none of the customers I had ever gave a shit. If someone had a problem I would ask my manager to handle it since it isn't my place. We ALWAYS have at least one manager on duty, I don't know what the shaq-fu EB is doing. Around here it seems like they only have one fool working at a time too. Oh yeah, and at GS, we only have at max 2 display copies of games, at least at my store (we have more for games that AREN'T out yet though). At EB it seems like they sometimes have 20 which is retarded.[/quote]

Your Gamestop is the exception, not the rule. I have yet to ever go into a Gamestop where I live where the manager was on duty out front. Actually....there was one time I went into a Gamestop and a manager was out front. That was the day KOTOR came out. In any case, Most Gamestops I've been into have at least 4 gutted copies of all major releases within the past month. As to there being gutted copies of new games to begin with? It's not the stores fault you jerk. They don't get enough marketing materials to display a cover for every game they have in stock. Complain to the game producers to send more marketing materials.
Only reason to complain to the store is if they gut a new copy of a game that they already have adequate marketing sleeves of. (ie games like Halo2 and Fable which they already have fifty billion dvd sleeves for)[/quote]
Not enough marketing materials? You wanna spoon feed me some more bullshit? Why are these guys the only ones who pull this crap if companies don't send out enough marketing materials?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']A customer has never yelled at me. Even when I shaq-fu up. Maybe it's because I'm a young girl who works at GS. :shock:[/quote]

I had a professor tell my in a management class once that people people are like 60% more likely to be rude to male working in customer service than a female. He didn't give a reference, so it may have been BS, but I guess it kinda makes sense too.

[quote name='Ebraum']Just try returning an opened game & say it's new, just a display copy, see how far that get's you.[/quote]

w0rd.

Yeah man and last time I bought a new car, the odometer wasnt at 00000.0! That's a USED CAR and they wanted me to pay the new price! F that!

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Yeah man and last time I bought a new car, the odometer wasnt at 00000.0! That's a USED CAR and they wanted me to pay the new price! F that![/quote]
I wouldn't say that is the same example, almost all cars (atleast I heard this) have some amount of mileage on them. They don't come in a giant plastic sleeve and a seal to let you know it isn't opened. Some people buy games for collecting, and when there are like 10 gutted copies on a shelf, it is counterproductive.
Also, if they can gut them, we should be able to return them opened, since they can sell them opened like the bastards have been doing for a while.

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='doraemonkerpal']although i don't like the practice of selling opened games as new, i thought this bs was well-known?[/quote]

It is, and every time it happens to me, I tell myself that this is the last time I am going there. Them some deal whows up, so I have to go there.[/quote]

I hear you, I can't stand that policy, but if I see a great deal I am tempted to go in since its right across the street from my work ( I can see the sign from my cubicle). I guess I always think I might get a non-opened game.

EB has been doing this for years. This is NOTHING NEW (especially on this board). Don't get mad at the cashier, because it's not his fault.

If you don't like it, just don't f'n shop there. I'm sick of seeing an anti EB or Gamestop thread startup every day.

BTW, Shaq-FU? That's just gay...

Geez, WTF. If it's not sealed, just pass on it. They'll get more. Unless it's a game they can't get new anymore. In that case, tough shit! I work at Gamestop and have been yelled at for the stupidest things from the most fuck-tarded customers. We try to be nice, but we work for an oppresive, profit-gourging, corporate machine. Just find a store you like and talk to the manager. We've started using the preview art that they send us for the wall displays so we have more sealed copies. But people still bitch, it's like they're not happy unless they do.

It's opened. If it looks new, buy it. If not, politely decline. We sell the opened copies. And then fucktard customers use the "it was already opened" excuse to return the new product that they bitched about buying in the first place. You can't pull that shit at Wal-mart.

Here's a clue. I work part-time (with alot of hours) at Gamestop as 3rd key while I do school. So I'm part of the 'management team' of the store. I get paid a whoppong 8.25 an hour with NO benefits to take your shit. And that's after I got a raise for my year of working there.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Geez, WTF. If it's not sealed, just pass on it. They'll get more. Unless it's a game they can't get new anymore. In that case, tough shit! I work at Gamestop and have been yelled at for the stupidest things from the most shaq-fu-tarded customers. We try to be nice, but we work for an oppresive, profit-gourging, corporate machine. Just find a store you like and talk to the manager. We've started using the preview art that they send us for the wall displays so we have more sealed copies. But people still bitch, it's like they're not happy unless they do.

It's opened. If it looks new, buy it. If not, politely decline. We sell the opened copies. And then fucktard customers use the "it was already opened" excuse to return the new product that they bitched about buying in the first place. You can't pull that shit at Wal-mart.

Here's a clue. I work part-time (with alot of hours) at Gamestop as 3rd key while I do school. So I'm part of the 'management team' of the store. I get paid a whoppong 8.25 an hour with NO benefits to take your shit. And that's after I got a raise for my year of working there.[/quote]

No offense man, but if you hate it so much, quit.

8.25 an hour isn't bad at all for retail and you get no benefits cuz you only work part-time. I've never seen part-time employees in retail get a benefit save for maybe a discount.

See, KB Toys has an awesome policy when it comes to this. If you buy a copy, they tell you flat out if it's a display copy, and then give you a coupon good for $10 off any game $30 or more. If more stores followed this, there would be no more hate or wars. The world would live in peace, and all cultures will be united.

Or, you know, I'd be more likely to buy display games.

You think thats bad? Today I called two stores, asked if they had some games, they said yes, and they held them for me. When I went there, it turns out they didn't have them. Their computer said they did, but they couldn't find it.

if its such a big f'n deal, just dont buy the damn game there. EB and Gamestop stores are mostly smaller and dont have the security of the larger big box stores like BB and CC. They do "gut" games so they can indeed cut down on theft. If you dont like that practice buy elsewhere, dont bust the employee's balls, they are just doing their job and following company policy.
If everyone were a little nicer to the gamestore employees about your dislike of "gutting", maybe they wouldn't be as jaded as they are and everyone's shopping experience would be better.

It's a well known fact that many EB and Gamestop Employees use these "display copies" to take home and play. Never buy display copies. It's just encouraging laziness and corporate greed. There's never any need to open games and sell them as new, I don't care if I sound picky, it's just redidulous and nobody should encourage it by buying the employee copies.

I had this same thing happen to me yesterday at gamestop for dual hearts. The new price was $15, i went to get it, and he said it was the floor copy, I said I want it anyways after inspecting the disc(also $15 for a mint dual hearts is fair enough). BUT GET THIS

The guy says he has to go reseal it so he can sell it to me "new and sealed". I start making fun of them, saying, "you do know i will just open it up as soon as I get home and play it." i told them i didnt blame them but their store policies are pretty stupid. They gave me some halo 2 stickers and a phantom brave poster as a gesture.

\Meh, $15 for a mint dual hearts is good enough for me.

bread's done
Back