I got a perscription/dr note for the wii and DS

ryanbph

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Just over 2 months ago I got into a horrible car accident. Besides the physical issue I am having, my brain got knocked around some. I just left the post tramatic stress/concussion doctor, and after reviewing my results he is perscribing/giving a doctors note for me to purchase the wii and ds as well as all the brain age games. He feels this will help return my cognitive abilities. My spacial recognition is shot, my audio/video responses in some long ass exam were horrible. Given the fact that the avg person would score at 85% and people with a bad concussion score at 50%, my score was at 3%. So after 2 months of horrible news, I finally get some good news, my insurance companies will be force to pay for the wii/ds and some games.:lol:

**edit**

since I wasn't clear in my original post, I want to make clear that it isn't the medical insurance paying for this but the auto insurance....I posted a clarification in a post below, but some people aren't reading it, so I copied it and it read:

first and foremost, thanks to those that have offered support/thoughts/prayers. I appreciate it. As for writting/vocab it hasn't been affected. It is all visual and audio that is all fucked up. My right side of the brain is fucked up.

As for those that have talked about insurance, it isn't my health insurance it is the auto insurance of the lady that wacked me. I was at a complete stop in the middle lane of the highway due to a car (that took off) stopping for no reason. My big ass suv stopped about 5 ft from the car in front of me. The lady behind me hit my car at 70mph. That is all that I remember. The rest of the info is from the police reports and from people that I have spoken to that saw the accident. The lady that hit me, went under my car up untill the 2nd row seating. It caused my car to flip and then roll ontop of the median that seperated the highway. Allegedly my car slid/glidded ontop of the median for about a 100 yards, before I got hit by an oncoming car from the other side of the highway fast lane. That caused me to roll back onto my side of the highway and go 3 lanes over to the slow lane where I continue to roll and was hit by 2 more cars. The lady that hit me died.

As I mentioned it isn't the healthcare, but the auto insurance. If it wasn't for the lady from hitting me, I wouldn't need to fix my cognitive skills. The doctor wrote a note/perscription and it is going to my attorney, who will then get the auto insurance of one of the people that whacked me to pay for it. Sorry I wasn't more clear before, but what can I say, my thinking is 100% and I didn't even think that people would assume it was going to be healthcare related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your situation, but congrats on getting insurance to pay for a Wii/DS.

I was in a similar situation last year to where I was in a traumatic bicycle vs. car accident. Aside from family and friends being very helpful, my Wii/DS were certainly a great boost to my morale and sanity during that time. Hope you have a quick recovery!

Of all the legitimate things that insurance companies object to paying, surely they would object to this. Its worth it just to see the paperwork. I bet you could send a scan or some sort of receipt to the gaming blogs and they'd make a story out of it. They'll make a story out of anything.

I wonder how common this prescription is.

I don't know how common it is, but how common is it for a fit 32 year old to go one day being fine, and the next not being able to walk without assistance of a walker and even then not do well. To not being able to work on the computer for more then 15 min without getting a headache and throwing up. To going from 98 percentile ( a test I took about 2 years ago) to 3 percentile in spacial recognition I would consider not common either.

The amazing thing is, this poster, with admitted brain injuries, wrote a post more coherent than perhaps 90% of what's found on the internet. Kudos and my prayers to you!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Of all the legitimate things that insurance companies object to paying, surely they would object to this. Its worth it just to see the paperwork. I bet you could send a scan or some sort of receipt to the gaming blogs and they'd make a story out of it. They'll make a story out of anything.

I wonder how common this prescription is.[/quote]

I work in a pharmacy, of all the patients Ive seen who couldn't afford to pay for medications they needed to live, to accept this will make me lose even more faith in privatized health insurance, and even that is as low as I thought it could have been.

I remember reading a letter in the old Dreamcast Magazine about a guy who had a sister that had motor skill problems. She played Crazy Taxi a lot and really improved herself. So, get a Gamecube copy of Crazy Taxi and a Gamecube controller. It's great for making you think fast after you get the skill for the crazy dash down pat which is a skill in and of itself.

[quote name='hostyl1']The amazing thing is, this poster, with admitted brain injuries, wrote a post more coherent than perhaps 90% of what's found on the internet. Kudos and my prayers to you![/quote]

That was my first thought as well.

Best of luck OP.

first and foremost, thanks to those that have offered support/thoughts/prayers. I appreciate it. As for writting/vocab it hasn't been affected. It is all visual and audio that is all fucked up. My right side of the brain is fucked up.

As for those that have talked about insurance, it isn't my health insurance it is the auto insurance of the lady that wacked me. I was at a complete stop in the middle lane of the highway due to a car (that took off) stopping for no reason. My big ass suv stopped about 5 ft from the car in front of me. The lady behind me hit my car at 70mph. That is all that I remember. The rest of the info is from the police reports and from people that I have spoken to that saw the accident. The lady that hit me, went under my car up untill the 2nd row seating. It caused my car to flip and then roll ontop of the median that seperated the highway. Allegedly my car slid/glidded ontop of the median for about a 100 yards, before I got hit by an oncoming car from the other side of the highway fast lane. That caused me to roll back onto my side of the highway and go 3 lanes over to the slow lane where I continue to roll and was hit by 2 more cars. The lady that hit me died.

As I mentioned it isn't the healthcare, but the auto insurance. If it wasn't for the lady from hitting me, I wouldn't need to fix my cognitive skills. The doctor wrote a note/perscription and it is going to my attorney, who will then get the auto insurance of one of the people that whacked me to pay for it. Sorry I wasn't more clear before, but what can I say, my thinking is 100% and I didn't even think that people would assume it was going to be healthcare related.

You might also look into a DS game called pic pic (I think it's an EU region game - not sure if it came out here). It has 3 different kinds of puzzles that use numbers and thinking in order to create pictures.
Maybe also picross ds. That's a nice relaxing brain game that makes you think, but doesn't frustrate in it's difficulty.

Hope you are able to recover from this horrible accident and you get some mad payout to soften the blow of the small handicap you might have to endure.

Holy crap man. I work in an ER and this is the kind of stuff we see almost on a daily basis. It's good to hear that you've managed to make this much of a recovery and I hope that you make it back to as close to 100% as possible. Maybe Professor Layton and the Curious Village would be a good game for you? Echochrome (PSP or PS3) might also fit the bill.

I write for a gaming site and I think it might be a good story to write about. Not because as one poster said above, we'd write about anything, but because it's an interesting story and one that I'm sure could possibly affect millions of people around the world in recovery from injuries or ailments of various sorts. It's also one of those stories that makes people think that games aren't an absolute waste of time, but can indeed be beneficial to humanity. They don't always make people go out and kill one another.

[quote name='Redeema']Holy crap man. I work in an ER and this is the kind of stuff we see almost on a daily basis. It's good to hear that you've managed to make this much of a recovery and I hope that you make it back to as close to 100% as possible. Maybe Professor Layton and the Curious Village would be a good game for you? Echochrome (PSP or PS3) might also fit the bill.

I write for a gaming site and I think it might be a good story to write about. Not because as one poster said above, we'd write about anything, but because it's an interesting story and one that I'm sure could possibly affect millions of people around the world in recovery from injuries or ailments of various sorts. It's also one of those stories that makes people think that games aren't an absolute waste of time, but can indeed be beneficial to humanity. They don't always make people go out and kill one another.[/quote]

You could probably help a lot of people if you could come up with a good list of games that would help in this type of recovery or in similar injuries. Maybe you could get a few of your ER docs to give their opinions.

Wow bro this is crazy. I'm just glad that you're still alive. I feel bad for the lady, but did she even make any attempt at stopping? The story of how it happened made me think about it, and jeez must've been really fucking scary.

I hope you get better as well.

some of you guys are pricks.
dude is lucky to be alive.

on a side note, the cost of the wii and ds isnt much in comparison to some of te ridiculous charges for simple exams or excessive tests most doctors order and arent always needed.

its funny i had an apointment in the orthopaedic hand clinic at my hospital and they had a wii set up in one of the therapy rooms. thought that was intersting.

It's stories like this that remind me how fragile we really are.

Sounds like you're lucky to be alive OP, good luck with your rehabilitation. Hope the Wii/DS help.

Holy shit. Good thing you're still alive. What happened to mess up your head so much? Did it get directly hit by the other cars? Did the top cave in when you were tumbling? If your airbags deployed, the steering wheel was probably not an issue... I know you don't have any direct recollection of it, but damn, you're still lucky as hell.

I can understand if you don't want to take a shot at Crazy Taxi in light of your vehicular experience.

I don't know what caused the head damage. The only damage my car took was to the back, the underneath(it was all gone everything underneath my suv was all over the highway) and the driver side was fucked up. The air bags didn't go off. When I went to clear my stuff out of the car a few days later, I noticed the drivers seat was at 0 (or 180) degrees instead of 90. I know the computer chip that keeps records of my vehicle was destroyed, so maybe my head caused it.

Without a doubt I should be dead. I was stuck strapped into a flat board/stretcher on the other side of the highway for about 45 min due to the fact I wasn't a priority since the other ladies chest had collapsed. Saw a lot of people drive by my car and do the father/son/holy spirit hand gesture.

Are you suffering from contralateral neglect syndrome after the accident?

It sounds bad, and I hope you can recover.

bread's done
Back