I got robbed.

CactusZac098

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm in the Army down in Virginia re-classing from infantry. I have all my stuff stored at my moms house in Michigan. My mom called about 3 or so hours ago to tell me her place was broken in to. They took my tv, game systems (PS3 360 and Wii), hd and blu-ray movies, and who knows what else since my mom doesn't really know what I had in there. About $3-4000 worth of stuff though.

I need to know if there's a way to get Microsoft to trace the IP of the 360 if it ever goes online and for Sony to trace the IP if the PS3 goes online. I know the Wii is prolly gone since the friend code is different per game.

The gamestops in the region have the serial numbers to the three systems thanks to a friend who worked there, as do the police. My friends were also told to call me if my 360 ever got online.

I still can't believe I was robbed. I thought it would never happen to me. Hopefully the police can get some leads, but I highly doubt they will. All my stuffs gone. Hopefully I can go home for a few days to secure the rest of my stuff and move it to a storage unit and go to the pawn shops there to see if they got any stuff, but chances are whoever stole my stuff will wait a month or so to sell it off.

That sucks, good luck in getting your stuff back..

Was your mom robbed too? If they only took your stuff, that would suggest it was someone that knows you and knew about your gaming stash.

No, you don't get it. They can't identify your system by its IP address because that address changes.

You also can't pull the "My account logged in on the system!" because accounts can move.

i don't know if its the same, but do consoles have a mac address equivalent? being able to get to that in conjunction with an ip trace would be the only way it would help you at all.

and even if it did, would those companies care enough to do that for you? i doubt it.

[quote name='Liquid 2']No, you don't get it. They can't identify your system by its IP address because that address changes.

You also can't pull the "My account logged in on the system!" because accounts can move.[/QUOTE]

They can trace serial numbers through XBox Live - this is why some modders have their consoles banned for life versus their gamertag banned. They can trace the serial of the console and then trace the IP if it ever gets online.. I doubt they would go to that trouble, though. There's millions of people on XBox Live.

Yes, MAC address is the right way to trace the systems. The manufacturers have a database that ties the unique MAC to the serial number of the unit. It could potentially help in an investigation but I wouldn't place high hopes on the cops here. Most departments aren't savvy on these issues yet. Also, if they're behind a router, the MAC won't be visible. It would then depend on the three network operators' provision for IDing systems.

Nintendo has a pretty good track record on this sort of problem. They were the first to implement a system for retailer to report specific unit sales on a daily basis.

From what my mom tells me right now they just took the safe out of her room with our birth certificates and other papers in it. My wife just got there....They stole the damn Amazon box with Punch-Out for the Wii and a little cabinet setup with accessories. I wish I would have left the guitar hero guitars out when I left. It they would have stolen those then anyone trying to get rid of them at gamestop would be efed. My wife girl-ified them.

[quote name='epobirs']Yes, MAC address is the right way to trace the systems. The manufacturers have a database that ties the unique MAC to the serial number of the unit. It could potentially help in an investigation but I wouldn't place high hopes on the cops here. Most departments aren't savvy on these issues yet. Also, if they're behind a router, the MAC won't be visible. It would then depend on the three network operators' provision for IDing systems.

Nintendo has a pretty good track record on this sort of problem. They were the first to implement a system for retailer to report specific unit sales on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely perfect. Bravo! :applause:

what sucks is your probally out of all of your stuff... If you make a claim their house insurance will jump so high it will make her probally just drop all of her insurance or they would even drop her.

we lost our power over xmas and lost around 200 bucks in food. when we went to make a claim on the homeowners insurance they said

We will cover your lost but your bill would jump to almost 150 to 250 more per year and its not worth it.

^ Gotta love insurance companies... you pay the bill every month and when it's time for them to hold up their end... they raise your rates or drop you. fucking crooks. I hate the system.

[quote name='crystalklear64']i don't know if its the same, but do consoles have a mac address equivalent? being able to get to that in conjunction with an ip trace would be the only way it would help you at all.

and even if it did, would those companies care enough to do that for you? i doubt it.[/QUOTE]

I know that PS2's and PS3's have what would be considered a mac address. When I bought my first PS2 network adapter, I went on this OCD streak where I registered everything with Sony and I was able to register my console and network adapter, which apparently both have their own "signatures" in Sony. I would assume if you registered everything and someone used it to log in, they could use that to get the IP and find the address from there, but I wouldn't think any of the companies would do it without anything short of payment or a court order for the process.

Good luck getting your stuff back.

Edit:
I guess I should have read the thread first, but I pretty much said what 3 or 4 others already did. Whatever, that was my experience related to the topic. :p

[quote name='slidecage']what sucks is your probally out of all of your stuff... If you make a claim their house insurance will jump so high it will make her probally just drop all of her insurance or they would even drop her.

we lost our power over xmas and lost around 200 bucks in food. when we went to make a claim on the homeowners insurance they said

We will cover your lost but your bill would jump to almost 150 to 250 more per year and its not worth it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DestroVega']^ Gotta love insurance companies... you pay the bill every month and when it's time for them to hold up their end... they raise your rates or drop you. fucking crooks. I hate the system.[/QUOTE]

Hell my mom worked with a guy who never made claim on his car insurance for over 20 years. They got a hold of him and told him they were going to drop him. When he asked why they told him he was a high risk. When he asked them how that he never made a claim with them they told him that is why. He was over due for somthing and they thought that it was going to be somthing big and cost them a lot of money.

As for you OP that sucks. It seems like in the past year a lot of CAGs have posted saying that they got robbed. I'm hoping I'm not going to be one of them. From the sounds of it you might have some luck with the MAC address being tracked. Well some as in little but more then the ip. If you have the 360 set up to auto log in then your friends will be able to see when you log on and know it is not you. Maybe they will be able to get a hold of MS for you and tell them what happend and that they see someone is loged into it at that time. It is worth a shot talking to Sony, MS and Nintendo about it to see if their is anything they can do. Hell tell them that you are in the army and what you were doing. Seeing how you are serving our country they might help you out a little more. Like I said it is atleast worth a shot.

Other then your stuff missing is everyone ok?

Yeah...I'm just pissed. If I can't get leave for a couple days from school here I won't know for another 2 months what all's gone and it'll just be eating at me.

[quote name='Eviltude']I know that PS2's and PS3's have what would be considered a mac address. When I bought my first PS2 network adapter, I went on this OCD streak where I registered everything with Sony and I was able to register my console and network adapter, which apparently both have their own "signatures" in Sony. I would assume if you registered everything and someone used it to log in, they could use that to get the IP and find the address from there, but I wouldn't think any of the companies would do it without anything short of payment or a court order for the process.

Good luck getting your stuff back.

Edit:
I guess I should have read the thread first, but I pretty much said what 3 or 4 others already did. Whatever, that was my experience related to the topic. :p[/QUOTE]

It's not like a MAC address. It is a MAC address. You cannot have a proper Ethernet node device without one. Many routers allow you to spoof the MAC address because cable MSOs used it for tracking customers and it required calling customer service for a reset if you connected a device with a different number. This was back in the day when they thought they could get away with charging per connected computer rather than for the household.

For those wanting to know more on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

[quote name='epobirs']It's not like a MAC address. It is a MAC address. You cannot have a proper Ethernet node device without one. Many routers allow you to spoof the MAC address because cable MSOs used it for tracking customers and it required calling customer service for a reset if you connected a device with a different number. This was back in the day when they thought they could get away with charging per connected computer rather than for the household.

For those wanting to know more on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up.

[quote name='sendme']Hell my mom worked with a guy who never made claim on his car insurance for over 20 years. They got a hold of him and told him they were going to drop him. When he asked why they told him he was a high risk. When he asked them how that he never made a claim with them they told him that is why. He was over due for somthing and they thought that it was going to be somthing big and cost them a lot of money.

As for you OP that sucks. It seems like in the past year a lot of CAGs have posted saying that they got robbed. I'm hoping I'm not going to be one of them. From the sounds of it you might have some luck with the MAC address being tracked. Well some as in little but more then the ip. If you have the 360 set up to auto log in then your friends will be able to see when you log on and know it is not you. Maybe they will be able to get a hold of MS for you and tell them what happend and that they see someone is loged into it at that time. It is worth a shot talking to Sony, MS and Nintendo about it to see if their is anything they can do. Hell tell them that you are in the army and what you were doing. Seeing how you are serving our country they might help you out a little more. Like I said it is atleast worth a shot.

Other then your stuff missing is everyone ok?[/QUOTE]

i just got a letter from allstate about a lawsuit.. Someone filed a class action lawsuit saying that allstate paid under book vaule of cars if they had to pay Uninsured motorist claims (meaning if someone hit y ou and they did not have insurance)

got a letter saying that due to the lawsuit i could be dropped if i get any money from the case

#$#$# allstate they screwed me over 5 years ago when the wreck happen (gave me 800 bucks for a good running car)

Really sorry to hear this man....I know how much it sucks to have things stolen from you. I will wish you the best and keep you in prayer. I hope they find out who did it! This is exactly why I need to get renter's insurance...

Also, does anyone know if Wii virtual console games and PS3 downloaded games are tied to any account or to the system. With the 360 its tied to the account and you can migrate licenses from one console to another.

sorry OP to hear about your shitty luck. These posts is the reason (and my paranoia) why I got renters insurance. 14000 in games (just games) walking out the door isn't something I wanna think about replacing!

I hope you get somethings back/or you moms had insurance. Either way good luck!

bread's done
Back