I got the DivX movies to read on my 360 thanks for all your help. (^_^)

Dragon_Master

CAGiversary!

I cant get my 360 to play all my DivX movies it seems to only like a few of them. Does anyone have any ideas why?

Ok I got the problem fixed. When I downloaded my file I changed the file extension fom .divx to .avi and set it to save as all tyoe and now my 360 is detecting them. I have only encountered 2 videos that refused to play but the rest work great. All though some have a nasty stuttering sound affect but I think thats just from the video file its self and not the 360. So thanks to everyone for your help. :D

Did you re-download the optional media-update since yesterday?

The 360 isn't compatible with ALL DivX files, but you should be able to play a good deal of them.

I think I dounloaded it. A menu came up saying I needed a media update and I got that but I still am having troubles playing quite a few DivX movies. I have been downloading my DivX movies from joox.net if that helps at all.

[quote name='Dragon_Master']I think I dounloaded it. A menu came up saying I needed a media update and I got that but I still am having troubles playing quite a few DivX movies. I have been downloading my DivX movies from joox.net if that helps at all.[/QUOTE]
Well as long as your videos fit these specifications:
1. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for AVI?
Xbox 360 supports the following for AVI:
· File Extensions: .avi, .divx
· Containers: AVI
· Video Profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple & Advanced Simple Profile
· Video Bitrate: 5 Mbps with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.
· Audio Profiles: Dolby® Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel, MP3
· Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 11 for more information.

i did notice when I played my divx/xvid file for the first time it asked me to download the update but it said it was already downloaded so i just clicked the download again option and it played fine

Yeah, it gave me the message, I had already downloaded it of course back when the .mpg support came out, so I downloaded it again and after that everything has played fine. I downloaded Night of the Living Dead from that joox site you talked about and it played fine.

is joox good for anime? I gripped some anime from mininova.org and it works fine on my box. What resolution you think is good to not get the box around the video i have a 46inch widescreen and at native its big but still has the black box around it, which I can live with but when I used tversity it could do widescreen.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Yeah, it gave me the message, I had already downloaded it of course back when the .mpg support came out, so I downloaded it again and after that everything has played fine. I downloaded Night of the Living Dead from that joox site you talked about and it played fine.[/quote]

Well when I get home tonight I will redownload it. is there a set plae to go? or do i just try to open a DivX file?

My 360 still wont play DivX movies it will play AVI movies but not DivX I though I got it to play some DivX but it was actually a AVI format so now I am just confused. My 360 wonteven detect DivXmovis for some reason

I don't know if this is the same problem but I have movies in a computer folder and since the update, only the ones from before the update show up still... no DIVX no AVI... is it supposed to recognize them even if they are only on the computer you are linked to?... it's weird.

[quote name='DestroVega']I don't know if this is the same problem but I have movies in a computer folder and since the update, only the ones from before the update show up still... no DIVX no AVI... is it supposed to recognize them even if they are only on the computer you are linked to?... it's weird.[/quote]

I thinks its the same thing for me my 360 will detect AVI and WMA etc but still not DivX. Out of curiosity are you a silver or gold ember? I am a silver member and I am wondering if the DivX is only for gold memebers.

[quote name='Dragon_Master']I thinks its the same thing for me my 360 will detect AVI and WMA etc but still not DivX. Out of curiosity are you a silver or gold ember? I am a silver member and I am wondering if the DivX is only for gold memebers.[/quote]

gold

the first optional media update was for mpeg 4 compatibility. it confused me why they didn't change the discription because i too assumed it was the same update i had. but after that the dvix run better than ever on my 360. they resolution is clean and streaming is instant.

what are you guys using by the way? media center or a program to stream content through your networks like tversity?

I cant get them to play either. And nothing (other then you cannot play this file type) pops up. Although when I go to that folder I do see the preview pic of the video I want to play.

To get that update to pop up do you need to do it through the play video section in your XBox menus? I only tried through media center so far.

Edit: Nevermind figured that out. Have to go to the Video menu and try to open it there. Works great. Can only watch through Video menu NOT in media center though.

[quote name='triforcer']the first optional media update was for mpeg 4 compatibility. it confused me why they didn't change the discription because i too assumed it was the same update i had. but after that the dvix run better than ever on my 360. they resolution is clean and streaming is instant.

what are you guys using by the way? media center or a program to stream content through your networks like tversity?[/quote]

Neither... I just have videos in my video folder on my computer and the XBox opens the folder, and I can play the videos... just not what is supposed to be able to be played now with the new update.

Its not a naming issue is it? Have you tried making the names shorter w/o any 's except for the one before the file extension.

I heard one person said to rename your divx files to avi. I dont know if it work cause I am at work right now and cant test it.

Divx and Xvid is just a codec and Avi is just the extension or container the file is in. The xbox will only ready .avi files. So if you have a file named zomgIpiratemovies.divx its not gonna read it. All my anime and movies worked they are all .avi. As far as sharing from a pc ( I have tons of external hard drives and usb keys) I heard that the update does mess up the older ways of sharing i.e tversity because the way it looks for files is different.

Edit: Oh yea and don't forget that it only supports Divx 5 and up so if u have rlly old files it prolly won't work

I hooked my 360 up last night using WMP. It was a hassle to get the xbox to show up when trying to share but a few searched and I fund the answer here is one of the guides. There are a ton.

http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=802391

after that i couldnt read some of the videos that were in the file. Well i went back into the sharing and then into settings. There I noticed that I was only sharing "ranked" media. I set it to someting like "ALL" or "not rated" (no stars) and I could see all the files.

Not sure if this will fix the not reading divx issues but It fixed mine.

Hope this helps!!!

umm nothing since all my videos i wanted converted into wmv so i could watch them on the 360 were divx/xvid already.

Face it all anime is usually in Xvid/Divx in worse caes MKV just for the container usage with subs and what not.
And Most movies are in Xvid/Divx

Ok I got the problem fixed. When I downloaded my file I changed the file extension fom .divx to .avi and set it to save as all tyoe and now my 360 is detecting them. I have only encountered 2 videos that refused to play but the rest work great. All though some have a nasty stuttering sound affect but I think thats just from the video file its self and not the 360. So thanks to everyone for your help. :D

bread's done
Back