I graduated!!!! Need a job.

sying

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know that this is a shameless attempt to whore myself around, but I just graduated with my Bachelor of Business Administration for Transportation and Logistics, and also Management. So does anyone know of any logistics company or such that is hiring? Also any ideas on what I should do, job or otherwise, now that im a grad?

A little summary of my work experience.
Accounting data entry
Best Buy employee (technician, please don't flame)
Intel fabrication factory worker
CC Collections
Planning coordinator for Vistakon J&J vision care (acuvue brands)

I know some of you CAGs have had a lot of experiences with working in various fields, so any imput would be helpful

I hate to tell you this, scying, but for any of the jobs that you'd probalby really want, you're going to be competing with MBAs.

Cost of MBA=30000
Starting wage=30000 (which is decent for Florida)
Ends up being a wash, might just work for a fortune 500 and have them pay for education

[quote name='sying']Cost of MBA=30000
Ends up being a wash, might just work for a fortune 500 and have them pay for education[/quote]

Granted I dont know how easy it is to get a job at a fortune 500 company, but u might want to have other plans just in case

[quote name='sying']Cost of MBA=30000
Ends up being a wash, might just work for a fortune 500 and have them pay for education[/quote]

In theory yes, but say hello to taxes, kiss %30 goodbye. Gotta get some nice work clothes, car, gas, lunches, its not as much as you think.

Congrats on graduating. I believe the only person who can tell you what to do career-wise is yourself. Good luck...

Sorry for invading this topic, but is a 3.8 a good enough GPA to get into a decent college? (I'm interested in engineering) I'm still in 9th grade and have yet to take SATs, but was wondering if this is considered to be good.

3.8 is decent. It depends on how your school grades and grade inflation. Do honors and AP classes get +1 added to your GPA for that class? I will be going to college next year (for mechanical engineering). I got decent grades at my highschool which is pretty hard. My GPA is a 3.7XX. I got a 1440 on the SAT's (780 Math 660 Verbal). Not too good, but enough to get me into a few good schools.

EDIT: My school does not rank. The maximum GPA you can get is a 4.

[quote name='ananag112']3.8 is decent. It depends on how your school grades and grade inflation. Do honors and AP classes get +1 added to your GPA for that class? I will be going to college next year (for mechanical engineering). I got decent grades at my highschool which is pretty hard. My GPA is a 3.7XX. I got a 1440 on the SAT's (780 Math 660 Verbal). Not too good, but enough to get me into a few good schools.

EDIT: My school does not rank. The maximum GPA you can get is a 4.[/quote]
Those SATs scores are pretty good, my brother only got a 1220. Good luck to you in college.

[quote name='el bobo'][quote name='ananag112']3.8 is decent. It depends on how your school grades and grade inflation. Do honors and AP classes get +1 added to your GPA for that class? I will be going to college next year (for mechanical engineering). I got decent grades at my highschool which is pretty hard. My GPA is a 3.7XX. I got a 1440 on the SAT's (780 Math 660 Verbal). Not too good, but enough to get me into a few good schools.

Those SATs scores are pretty good, my brother only got a 1220. Good luck to you in college.[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='ananag112'][quote name='el bobo'][quote name='ananag112']3.8 is decent. It depends on how your school grades and grade inflation. Do honors and AP classes get +1 added to your GPA for that class? I will be going to college next year (for mechanical engineering). I got decent grades at my highschool which is pretty hard. My GPA is a 3.7XX. I got a 1440 on the SAT's (780 Math 660 Verbal). Not too good, but enough to get me into a few good schools.

Those SATs scores are pretty good, my brother only got a 1220. Good luck to you in college.[/quote]

Thank you.[/quote]

You hijacked my thread!!!

And I'd take the SATs right now, just so you know what you are getting into. The SATs have changed since I was a younger CAG, I hear its a bitch now.

[quote name='ananag112']Congrats. What college/university did you graduate from? Around what was your GPA?[/quote]

University of North Florida (Go Ospreys!!! Peck them to death!!!!)
GPA was a 3.0 I know it sucks. I'm sad.

Welcome to the world of unemployment and or retail. A plain business degree with a 3.0 GPA isn't gonna get you much if anything.

My cousin graduated last December 2003 with a Business degree 3.1 GPA and works right now at Sears making as much as me, $8 an hour. He has been on about 20 interviews in the past year but nothing as materialized.

My advice get a MBA or you will end up working retail rest of your life.

PS: Buy a few NICE suits.

o an take a year off and just travel around jus pack a book bacg put your stuff in storage. see the workd cause the way i see it, once you get a job that yoou want you'll be working 4ever

[quote name='buster90']Welcome to the world of unemployment and or retail. A plain business degree with a 3.0 GPA isn't gonna get you much if anything.

My cousin graduated last December 2003 with a Business degree 3.1 GPA and works right now at Sears making as much as me, $8 an hour. He has been on about 20 interviews in the past year but nothing as materialized.

My advice get a MBA or you will end up working retail rest of your life.

PS: Buy a few NICE suits.[/quote]

Not true. Sell yourself. My friend w/ an econ degree and less than a 3.0 worked at UBS for a little over a year, didn't like it, and now is an investment officer for washington mutual.

It's all about experience.

i'm a current business student (first year) and i was thinking about getting a CA or CMA certification after my bachelors. it doesnt take much time but from the looks of it, they can really open up some opertunities. especially a cma or cga (not too sure on the details of cga).

[quote name='EggViper']i'm a current business student (first year) and i was thinking about getting a CA or CMA certification after my bachelors. it doesnt take much time but from the looks of it, they can really open up some opertunities. especially a cma or cga (not too sure on the details of cga).[/quote]

I really think certifications are the in thing now. Everyone is going to have a bachelors degree, professional certifications is what sets you out.

I will get my APICS inventory management degree in the meantime, while working somewhere, hopefully.

3.0 GPA in business is pretty bad, IMO. Business is where engineering dropouts end up.

And to the guy with 1400+ on SATs, is that the new SAT or the old one. The new one has a whole different scale, from what I heard. If its the old one, thats pretty good, enough to get into a good school with your GPA too.

There are a bunch of factors to success. Quickness, intelligence, good bs skills, wit, basically all you need to succeed in life is the ability to convince others that you are a worthwhile investment. Once you do that, you are set.

[quote name='fragmanslayer']3.0 GPA in business is pretty bad, IMO. Business is where engineering dropouts end up.

And to the guy with 1400+ on SATs, is that the new SAT or the old one. The new one has a whole different scale, from what I heard. If its the old one, thats pretty good, enough to get into a good school with your GPA too.

There are a bunch of factors to success. Quickness, intelligence, good bs skills, wit, basically all you need to succeed in life is the ability to convince others that you are a worthwhile investment. Once you do that, you are set.[/quote]

I took the old SAT's. The new SAT's are out of 2400 I believe. I want to major in mechanical engineeing and minor in business.

[quote name='el bobo']Sorry for invading this topic, but is a 3.8 a good enough GPA to get into a decent college? (I'm interested in engineering) I'm still in 9th grade and have yet to take SATs, but was wondering if this is considered to be good.[/quote]

A 3.8 GPA in high school should be good enough for most decent colleges (state colleges and some private colleges). If you want to go to MIT or Case Western Reserve University for Engineering you would probably need a 4.0 or a really good SAT score (1500+). If you want to be an engineer, you can do it wil a GPA like yours and a SAT of probably 1100 (old system) or so. I did it with a GPA of 3.7 and SAT score of 1080 (old system), but the higher the better.

To answer the first question, you need to get a job right away. I have an engineering degree, quit my job and tried to get another one. The hardest thing to answer was why I wasn't working. Get a job ASAP. Taking a year off (or not having a job for a year like I did) will seriously hurt your career. The HR people who will see your resume won't even bother to call, regardless of your qualifications if you have been out of work for a long time. Get a job now, that's the best thing that you can do.

bread's done
Back