I had the last laugh, EB!

ShadowRayden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Yesterday afternoon, I logged onto CAG and EB had once again dropped the prices on Metroid 2 and Zelda Four Swords. What to do, what to do? I had about two dollars in my checking. I had no other alternative (I made it a rule to never use my credit card to buy games. I tend to get carried away and I can ill afford to amass any more debt.) What's more infuriating is that I would get paid in less than 12 hours (I have direct deposit and my money is deposited early Thursday morning.) I went ahead and ordered the two games, know full well that I had no money, but there is something else I knew, EB games do not cancel your order if your card was declined, they put on hold. So at 8AM EST today, I called pretending to be baffled and unsure as to why the card would be declined. I told the customer service rep to run the card again and everything should be fine. Moments ago they authorized my card and my order is shown as being OPEN. I do love it when a plan comes together nicely. :lol: Now I don't have to check every hour on the hour to see whether or not the prices had dropped, I'm free! That is until the next deal, :shock: Goddamnit!

[quote name='TheRaven']Well, glad ya got the games, although it's not like you really pulled a fast one on them.[/QUOTE]

I agree with shake.

Usually happens to me when I forget to transfer funds into my checkings from savings, but it has come in handy if I wanna make some last minute changes

Should you really be buying games if you only had 2.00 in your checking to begin with? I would assume that living would be more important than buying games....that is unless your paycheck is just money to blow.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Should you really be buying games if you only had 2.00 in your checking to begin with? I would assume that living would be more important than buying games....that is unless your paycheck is just money to blow.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he just dosen't keep his money in his checking account?

Let's not jump to assumptions here.

[quote name='javeryh']I could never live check-to-check like that.[/QUOTE]

Some of us non lawyers don't have much of a choice. :evil:

[quote name='mtxbass1']Should you really be buying games if you only had 2.00 in your checking to begin with? I would assume that living would be more important than buying games....that is unless your paycheck is just money to blow.[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree with you on that one.

[quote name='Kayden']Some of us non lawyers don't have much of a choice. :evil:[/QUOTE]

Actually if you spent time working a second job instead of gaming, and didn't spend money on random video games and the other non-essentials most people go into debt over (a nicer car, cable tv, whatever).. you would have a choice.

This is not directed towards you, but the majority of people that "don't have a choice"... being lazy does not equate to being underpaid.

[quote name='Kayden']Some of us non lawyers don't have much of a choice. :evil:[/QUOTE]

True, but I could easily fall into that trap as well - you should have seen the numbers the bank was throwing at me for my house loan - I didn't even go 1/2 as high. I like to live well below my means but I know I'm probably abnormal when it comes to that stuff. I have no debt other than my house and school loans. I need to know that if I got fired tomorrow I wouldn't be homeless. I have a relative who is a school teacher and makes literally 1/6 of what I make in a year yet we live very similarly. She even has 2 new cars and takes the summers off. I don't get it but I know she is up to her eyes in debt.

Disposable income depends entirely on how much you save. If you're thrifty in other areas of your life, it shouldn't be a problem to come up with $10-$20 every week or two to spend on cheap games.

Of course if you regularly spend cash whenever you want on fast food, movies, CDs, DVD rentals, etc., it can be difficult to justify frivilous gaming purchases. Just be diligent about spending your cash where you really need to (and saving it where you don't.)

The thing I love about credit cards is that you don't have to pay until the end of the month. If you pay it off then, you don't owe anything more, but if you don't have the money to begin with, you shouldn't be spending it.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']if you don't have the money to begin with, you shouldn't be spending it.[/QUOTE]

That's about the best financial advice someone could give.

some of us dont spend any money out of pocket at all, we have huge amounts of credit at ebgames/gamestop/gamerush from all of the crazy deals they offer:

trade in 2 get an extra $10 cred(eb feb deal that worked on xhibitions and jampacks)
trade in a n64 and any 5 games get $50 cred(eb spring/summer deal)
trade in 3 get an extra $5 in cred per game(gamerush runs this every 6 months or so)

my personal favorites:

trade in any 3 ps1 games get a minimum $4.50 per game no exclusions(summer 04 gamerush)
trade in ANY dvd get $8 minimum credit(blockbuster/gamerush oct 04)

i really got away with murder on these last 2 deals, seeing as how the ps1 games can be had for less then a buck at gamestop/eb and the dvds can be had super cheap at pawnshops.

Oh and i live paycheck to paycheck just because i spend the buck of my free time pursuing a career in entertainment and only work part time

It was possible to build up credit by doing the gamerush trade 3 games get any game for $5, and then trade that game into gamestop when they were matching the credit of other stores.

chalk it up to getting away with murder.

You're very astute mtxbass1, I'll give you that. You're the only one who gets it. I can repudiate all manner of responsibility... for the time being anyways.

ok.. you had 2 bucks in checking but still had a credit card you could use... just use the card... and immediately pay it off of the card...

"Bring your desires down to your present means. Increase them only when your increased means permit."
--Aristotle

I personally don't have any credit at the game stores; GameRush seems to have the best deals, and there's none anywhere near me; the other places that have deals, I don't have any of the 'fodder' to take advantage of them, and I don't want to spend the time/money driving around to various stores to maximize those deals.

Lots of people live paycheck to paycheck, which isn't necessarily bad, as long as you have some savings to fall back on 'just in case'. Ideally you should live paycheck to paycheck--pay your bills, have enough to buy the stuff you need/want until the next paycheck [groceries etc], and always put a certain percentage into some method of saving. Pay yourself first, whether that be sticking 20% into a savings account, or paying off your credit card debt.

Yeah, you could have done that. Use the credit card, then immediately write a check to the CC company for that exact amount and drop it in the mail.

its not really that hard to live pay check to pay check.. i mean really all you got are the living bills and food bills.. transportation bills.. but if your car is paid off, thats just gas oil and insurance. most entry level jobs with some training can net you about 10 bucks an hour at a major city area (i saw openings for dishwashers at 7 that increases to 10 over a couple of months).. so thats roughly 800 a month.. you live with room mates say you use 3/4 on the above "expenses" if you don't eat out a lot or eat cheaply you could easily have 150-200 a month for "extras".. i have so many games.. and i only buy SNES and PS1 and/or cheapo PS2/xbox games.. nothing over 10 dollars. and occasionally i'll go out and get a new game but geez.. i'd stay far away from credit cards that debt reaches high real fast.

bread's done
Back