I hate blocks

Brad Bishop

CAGiversary!
I picked up a 3DS XL recently. I like it a lot.

My rant: I hate blocks.

I don't buy 232K blocks of an SD Card. I do what everyone else does and buy memory in terms of GBs (or MBs, as the case may be).

I, and everyone else, can do the math that if I have a 32GB card and a game takes 1.2GB worth of space that I'll have 30.8GB of storage left.

Blocks??? What the Hell? That's like going to the gas station in your car that has a 13gal tank and get 30MPG and buying gas in Chugs. It makes no sense. Oh, sure, you could do the math that there are 12.8Chugs/gal and then extrapolate from there but why not just sell it to me in the common unit?

Thankfully, I no longer need to buy points to buy games. At least when they used points, as dumb as it was, you could equate a point to a penny.. Still dumb though. They've gotten away from that.

Nintendo: Get rid of this idea of 'blocks'

Aren't I paying tax either way? If they're going to collect it, which I assume they would if I were buying points straight from them, aren't they going to collect tax at the time of sale and, if not, then it's really no different than Amazon.. I suppose you could buy point cards from Amazon and then use the points online to avoid it but that's a lot of work to avoid $1.

No, you get double taxed otherwise. If you buy an eshop card for $10 + tax, you can't buy a  $9.99 eshop game because taxes will push the price up to $10.78 or so and your card is only valid for $10.00.

If you buy 1000 points, the game costs 1000 points, not 1078 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you get double taxed otherwise. If you buy an eshop card for $10 + tax, you can't buy a $9.99 eshop game because taxes will push the price up to $10.78 or so and your card is only valid for $10.00.

If you buy 1000 points, the game costs 1000 points, not 1078 points.

Well, you're not getting double taxed, sure, but if they just got rid of the points and I bought the game for $10+tax, which is what I'm paying for the card, anyway, then what does it matter?

I think it varies from state to state. I only bought the 3ds gift card because I had store credit somewhere. Usually I'd just use a credit card. Still if you buy a $10 gift card you can't buy a $10 game, which is screwy.

bread's done
Back