I have a PS2 on short-term loan; what must I play?

seanw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
A friend is out of town on a long trip and lent me his PS2. The only console I've owned since the SNES/Genesis days is a Gamecube. I'm trying to come up with a must-play PS2 list while I have the thing. Among the games he lent me are two I'm pretty interested in -- Katamari Damacy and GTA: Vice City. What other titles should I seek out? I know I'm interested in at least Ico, Lego Star Wars, Transformers and X-Files, but don't let those last three fool you into thinking I'm primarily interested in licensed stuff. I'm primarily interested in great "small" games like Ico and Katamari. I'm not interested in a life-consuming RPG or anything I can get on the Cube (I've got MGS: The Twin Snakes, Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe, BG&E, etc.). Also, with your recommendations, let me know if you think I can get by with a rental of that title, and if it's "worth" beating or just playing (for instance, I love Viewtiful Joe, and I think it's easily worth playing even if you don't take the time to beat it, and I'm guessing the same would be true for, say, God of War).

Also, what's the cheapest I could get a decent DDR setup for? I'll be buying it when it comes out for the Cube this winter, Mario be damned, so I don't want to overinvest in an incompatible dance pad, and I'd also be happy with the oldest, cheapest software iteration that you all would recommend. (Although wasn't EB selling Konami pads as cheap generic pads not so long ago?)

the cheapest setup is probably ebay. just get the game with the pad, should be pretty cheap.

you do need to play ico, you can probably skip transformers and xfiles.

I don't know how long you have it for, but I guess you probably can't finish an RPG. but if you can, there are many you can play.

start off with katamari damacy since you can finish it in a few hours.

If you get Katamari and Vice City you wouldn't have to actually get anything else because of the time spent playing those games. Well, depends on your spending I would get GTA: San Andreas instead of Vice City but if truly being a CAG go with Vice City.

I second God of War because it is short but you will enjoy the gameplay.

I would also go with the Ratchet & Clank or Jak & Daxter series they also have a very long time for gameplay if you want a lot of bang for your buck.

GT4. Man, your mind will be blown away. You can get pretty far in it if you give it some time and actually play for 5 hours straight. But since you dont have that much time, I'd say just play Arcade Mode.

I'd also go with Wipeout, or any of the NFS: Underground games. I hear Midnight Club: Dub Edition is pretty slick too.

now this is just unfare, the ps2 have WAYYY too many games, so you gotta give us a genere you like the most.

but you should definitely play kingdom hearts, yes is a bit long, but trust me, totally worth it. BTW x-files sucks, dont play it.

Maximo: ghosts to glory is a must play in my mind. It's a great combination of action with platforming. Arm of zin is easier but I liked the hub/level setup in the original better.

Transformers is fun but the levels are a bit drab.

Metal Gear Solid 3, as it is not too long to beat as well as the amount of impact it will have on your gaming life.

I also second Zone of Enders 2, but if you have time restraints, MGS3 is good, and it's $20, so you can't beat that :)

god of war is a great title that is non time consuming.

devil may cry series aren't that time consuming either and they are excellent games.

if you like fighting games, i would suggest the tekken titles also.

God of War. Easily digestible. And I played the shit out of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. Rent that for sure. MGS 3 is a great choice as well, and Burnout 3 kicks serious ass. Twisted Metal: Black is worthwhile. Mercenaries is a blast to play, and if you crave an RPG, go for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

I just finished Cold Winter it was pretty good for a ps2 FPS and it is short so it makes a good rental. I would also recomend you rent Area 51 and Project Snowblind if you like first person shooters.

I would argue that the Ratchet and Clank series is the only "must-play" line up exclusive to the PS2. The Onimusha titles are great as well, and can easily be finished in a weekend. Burnout 3 is also a noteworthy title.

I'm glad you've got Katamari Damacy and Ico.

I recommend that you play all three MGS Games in sequence. You've probably already beat MGS1: The Twin Snakes, so have at it with MGS2 and MGS3.

Get San Andreas instead of Vice City (i'm assuming that you're renting them since the ps2 is on short loan.) Just remember though, with ANY ps2 GTA game you are getting a crap load of gameplay, so don't expect to just rush through it.

bread's done
Back