I have been converted to HD(using a 21.5" LCD monitor that's full 1080p w/ my PS3)

Haha, I took the same path as the OP. About 3 years ago I bought a 22 inch monitor to game in, then I upgraded to a 37 inch HD tv and then a 106 inch HD projection. How far we have come!

Lol, you think he's more stubborn than me? I don't even have a cell phone. My TV is a nice size 13" Samsung GXTV (rare model from the SNES/PS1 years) and it still works great. Smaller sets look just as good as HD since they don't enhance any flaws or jaggies that people complain about.

Affording it isn't the problem. I bought a 60gb PS3 and constantly buy games. It's a matter of value to me, ya know? Not only that these things don't come in appropriate sizes. Who the hell needs a TV over 34"? I sit about 3 feet away from my TV in the corner here and couldn't fit anything larger than 26" with even that being huge.

Yeah my PC monitor is a little bigger, maybe 17" or so. What I meant is LCD is lit differently than a tube set so they're going to look different whether they're HD or not. That's the visual trick. If you have a laptop then a LCD TV isn't that big of a change.

Woo, grats on making the leap.

And don't worry about getting a large TV if you are happy. I have a 50" HDTV sitting across the room from me, but I have my 360 and PS3 hooked up to my Dell 24" 16:9 monitor instead. It actually looks crisper than the TV (same resolution in a smaller space), and since I set a few feet away instead of 10-15' away, the size difference is downplayed a lot. Plus, after years and years of PC gaming, this setup feels more comfortable to me.

[quote name='DPsx7']Lol, you think he's more stubborn than me? I don't even have a cell phone. My TV is a nice size 13" Samsung GXTV (rare model from the SNES/PS1 years) and it still works great. Smaller sets look just as good as HD since they don't enhance any flaws or jaggies that people complain about.

Affording it isn't the problem. I bought a 60gb PS3 and constantly buy games. It's a matter of value to me, ya know? Not only that these things don't come in appropriate sizes. Who the hell needs a TV over 34"? I sit about 3 feet away from my TV in the corner here and couldn't fit anything larger than 26" with even that being huge.

Yeah my PC monitor is a little bigger, maybe 17" or so. What I meant is LCD is lit differently than a tube set so they're going to look different whether they're HD or not. That's the visual trick. If you have a laptop then a LCD TV isn't that big of a change.[/QUOTE]

No, I think he's pretty darn stubborn, which adds weight to the argument that there really is a benefit to HD if even Cheapest now admits that he's seen the light. So if there are any doubts in your mind left, just take it under consideration. Just search for iamthecheapestgamer and look through his posts; he almost NEVER admits he's wrong--even when it's blatantly obvious. That's why, if he admits he was wrong, you know that it must have been a pretty big deal to get him to admit this and take a ration of sh!t from everyone.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have 10 games left as of now: GTA IV, Red Faction Guerrilla, God Of War Collection, Darksiders, Little Big Planet, Saint's Row 2, Sacred 2, Mercenaries 2, Rise of the Argonauts and Afro Samurai.

Of those, I've finished Saint's Row 2, RF:G and GTA IV. The rest I have some interest in finishing, though the only one I really want to finish 100% is Darksiders.:D[/QUOTE]

Did you sell Demon's souls already? Didn't you have Uncharted 2 as well? You should get it again and play it if so. It was pretty darn good in HD, so was Killzone 2.

I'm a game hoarder so I'll probably never sell any of my games. The only ones I sold were some crappy DS games and Sonic The secret of the rings on Wii.

So now we have to get you to come around to firmware updates, how long until you actually admit there may be SOME value to SOME people out there?

The GXTV! I remember seeing that in old gaming magazines. :rofl: I used to want one so bad when I was 8, but that was back when my bedroom was the size of a regular person's closet.
Completely forgot it was only 13".
[quote name='iamthecheapestgamer']
A joke character?:D The hell you say. I really am this cantankerous, sarcastic and beligerent in real life too.;)

I am not a caricature, I am real.:) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:booty:[/QUOTE]Haha, not you, the person he was responding to.

I've read some of Cheapy's posts. One time I swore he must be my long-lost twin. Lol. We just want the games. Damn the updates, damn the gimmicks, forget the HD nonsense, etc. And I'm rarely wrong if ever. The problem lies with those who disagree with me then never come back when they predicted incorrectly.

Yeah, I remember buying the TV from TrU of all places. I was using my old Commodore monitor for my games back then and saved up for an actual TV. When I saw this set and read it was a gaming TV that was it. Lol, of course at the time that's all that mattered. I didn't know much about Samsung but it had big speakers and looked cool. It's gotten me through a few gen's of gaming, still works great. A few people make comments that it's only 13" but who really needs anything bigger? I'm glad to have what seems like a really rare TV. I mean I've only seen one or two others since that time (one in a Funcoland), and it's tough to find info on it.

*In case anyone cares I saved a link to a pic I found online. It's not my personal picture but at least you can see what we're talking about. http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/Chiccino/stuffz35006.jpg

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its hard to forgive someone who is such an utter douchebag, like yourself, but congrats on finally seeing what is meant to be seen. Now maybe you can stop thinking you know everything and accept the advice of others.[/QUOTE]

I never said I know everything. I said I know nearly everything.:D

[quote name='jh6269']Did you sell Demon's souls already? Didn't you have Uncharted 2 as well? You should get it again and play it if so. It was pretty darn good in HD, so was Killzone 2.

I'm a game hoarder so I'll probably never sell any of my games. The only ones I sold were some crappy DS games and Sonic The secret of the rings on Wii.

So now we have to get you to come around to firmware updates, how long until you actually admit there may be SOME value to SOME people out there?[/QUOTE]

I got rid of Demon's Souls about 2 months or so ago. I really wish I didn't though, since the two games I traded in for(Bionic Commando, Mirror's Edge) were kinda meh to me.

I got up to the first boss in Demon's Souls and I quit out since on my SDtv I couldn't even see the bulk of the body of it.:cry:

As for Uncharted 2, I played it and I enjoyed it, but I rarely replay games just for the sake of doing so anymore. The only ones I've replayed time and time again have been the GTA ones.

So, cheapest, you going to watch some blu-rays next? I know you hate movies, but now since you joined the rest of us, you might as well see what all the hub-bub is about.. Oh, and your DVDs will look better too.

The movie "Gamer" was terrible, but it looked really good on Blu-Ray.

[quote name='DPsx7']I still think it's all hype and a bowl of crap. HD doesn't improve gaming, although that might be because I own a lot of classic systems too. For the price HD just doesn't do enough. I don't watch sports or movies and for all I know most of my PS3 games won't take advantage of it.

It's just a visual trick between a tube TV and LCD. Laptops look different and they aren't HD.[/QUOTE]

HD does improve gaming because it adds more detail. Not only do you get the extra horizontal space from widescreen rather than fullscreen, but you get more detail in the scenery. I watched The Departed yesterday. I watched a crappy iPod version on a 21" SDTV. I feel as if I missed some of the movie because I didn't get to see all the detail that I would with HD. Now, I have to go get an HD copy and re-watch it in HD, just to get the full experience.

If you're against HD, it's because you've never used it. (And I mean actually used it. 5 minutes of Modern Warfare 2 at Gamestop doesn't cut it.) IAmTheCheapestGamer is proof of that. Go borrow an HDTV from a friend for a month, then come back and make the same argument.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only ones I've replayed time and time again have been the GTA ones.[/QUOTE]

Now you just have to become a trophy-whore, and that'll all change. ;)

Whoa, Cheapy doesn't like movies either? This is getting creepy, is he reading my posts at other sites?

No HD really doesn't. Games were excellent before HD so how would it change? Detail is nothing, like grass or smoke is going to effect a game that much. I've seen it and wasn't impressed. The store models aren't that hot and I saw a friend playing PS2 and watching TV on his which wasn't any better. Honestly I get better images on my 13" SD than you get on your flaky HD sets. I mean the only benefit is they pushed the price of real TV's lower.

Maybe someday if I can find a nice large 20-23 inch set for $100 then I could try again. Oh wait, then it's another $1000 for boxes, converters, wires, and more junk to make it work. What a scam.

[quote name='Chronis']I don't even know who you are anymore, Cheapest.[/QUOTE]

It's ok. I'm trying to figure out which thing I said I'd 'never do' which I'm gonna break next.:)

[quote name='jh6269']So, cheapest, you going to watch some blu-rays next? I know you hate movies, but now since you joined the rest of us, you might as well see what all the hub-bub is about.. Oh, and your DVDs will look better too.

The movie "Gamer" was terrible, but it looked really good on Blu-Ray.[/QUOTE]

Sure. You buying me another Acer LCD screen and a seperate Blu-Ray player and some Blu-Ray movies to go with it?:D;) I still will NOT use my PS3 for anything but gaming.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Now you just have to become a trophy-whore, and that'll all change. ;)[/QUOTE]

I really don't think that'll ever happen, though I did soften and finally cave in on the HD thing. But that'll require some fun games(that aren't glitchy like Darksiders has become:cry:).

I really was getting into that game, but the PS3 restarting glitch in it(hold the PS button to quit out and it hangs at the 'please wait' screen, then you get the 3 beep restart thing)has sapped any desire I had to finish it until they fix that damn issue.

[quote name='DPsx7']
No HD really doesn't. Games were excellent before HD so how would it change? Detail is nothing, like grass or smoke is going to effect a game that much. I've seen it and wasn't impressed. The store models aren't that hot and I saw a friend playing PS2 and watching TV on his which wasn't any better. Honestly I get better images on my 13" SD than you get on your flaky HD sets. I mean the only benefit is they pushed the price of real TV's lower.

Maybe someday if I can find a nice large 20-23 inch set for $100 then I could try again. Oh wait, then it's another $1000 for boxes, converters, wires, and more junk to make it work. What a scam.[/QUOTE] You don't know what real high definition looks like then if you're judging off store models which are all terrible because of their video source, or from watching a friend play his SD system on one.

But you're right, you don't really need high resolution to enjoy a game, that's true. I just personally enjoy the step up in visual fidelity across all my media.

[quote name='DPsx7']Whoa, Cheapy doesn't like movies either? This is getting creepy, is he reading my posts at other sites?

Maybe someday if I can find a nice large 20-23 inch set for $100 then I could try again. Oh wait, then it's another $1000 for boxes, converters, wires, and more junk to make it work. What a scam.[/QUOTE]

Your friend played a PS2 on an HDTV and you weren't impressed? Well darn, I guess you're right. After all, if 480i doesn't look amazing on one, why would 1080p look any better? :roll:

And last time I checked, I didn't have to buy any boxes, converters, wires or any other junk. I believe I took it out of the box, plugged it in, hooked up my 360 and was ready to go.

And honestly, you have no right to say anything about HD until you've used it. I've never had Comcast cable, therefore, I can't say that it sucks. Same situation here. If you want to bash HD, that's fine, but at least go try HD for a couple of weeks, so your bashing doesn't look stupid.

[quote name='DPsx7']Whoa, Cheapy doesn't like movies either? This is getting creepy, is he reading my posts at other sites?

Maybe someday if I can find a nice large 20-23 inch set for $100 then I could try again. Oh wait, then it's another $1000 for boxes, converters, wires, and more junk to make it work. What a scam.[/QUOTE]

It's not that I don't like movies, it's just that I don't see myself buying the 'premium' version on a Blu-Ray or using my PS3 to play it, since I've only ever used my game consoles for games(save for when my PC's were both down n I used my PS3 for web surfing).

As for a 20-23" set for $100 and wires and boxes costing $1k and what not, my PC monitor(Acer H213H) that I'm using now came with an HDMI cable right in the box. All I had to do was hold the power/reset button on the PS3 the first time I powered it up after plugging it in with HDMI and it auto detected the HDMI cable.

For $160, I'm happy with what I have, which is a rarity for me. But if you want an HDtv for $100 or under, check the Kmart thread as there's a bunch listed for $100 or less now in there. Good luck finding them and they're 'non name brand', but still for under $100 it's a hell of a deal if you can find one.

Look, for the price of those TV's they should be compatible with more than just the PS3. With no SD support they should be like half the price then. The store models fail to impress and I just didn't see anything better than what I have already. Bigger screens just stretch everything out.

I've seen an HDTV so I think I'm qualified to comment. It's all hype. That or peer pressure if someone thinks they need an obscene-sized TV to feel good. Anyone saying HD is such an improvement needs their eyes checked or a smaller set.

Oh, then I guess that's one place we differ. Lol. I can't stand movies. They're expensive, long, and boring. Again the last one I saw in a theater was probably the late 90's. The only 'movies' I own are the Simpsons Movie and Monty Python Holy Grail on DVD. Everything else is Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Robot Chicken, Beavis and Butthead, or Ren and Stimpy on DVD. They don't make anything good on BR's yet. Not that I'd ever place anything but a game in my PS3. Finally no it needs to be a good brand. My monitor and TV are both Samsung and both have to be 10-15 years old give or take. I don't mind paying for reliable equipment. HD just hasn't proven itself from the examples I've seen.

[quote name='DPsx7']Look, for the price of those TV's they should be compatible with more than just the PS3. With no SD support they should be like half the price then. The store models fail to impress and I just didn't see anything better than what I have already. Bigger screens just stretch everything out.

I've seen an HDTV so I think I'm qualified to comment. It's all hype. That or peer pressure if someone thinks they need an obscene-sized TV to feel good. Anyone saying HD is such an improvement needs their eyes checked or a smaller set.

Oh, then I guess that's one place we differ. Lol. I can't stand movies. They're expensive, long, and boring. Again the last one I saw in a theater was probably the late 90's. The only 'movies' I own are the Simpsons Movie and Monty Python Holy Grail on DVD. Everything else is Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Robot Chicken, Beavis and Butthead, or Ren and Stimpy on DVD. They don't make anything good on BR's yet. Not that I'd ever place anything but a game in my PS3. Finally no it needs to be a good brand. My monitor and TV are both Samsung and both have to be 10-15 years old give or take. I don't mind paying for reliable equipment. HD just hasn't proven itself from the examples I've seen.[/QUOTE]

This dude has PHD in HD!!!:applause:

Congrats Cheapest. It's been a good few weeks for you. You upgraded to HD and Sony has yet to ram a PS3 firmware update down your throat in 2010 :).

I jumped into the HDTV scene a little too quickly. About 5 years ago I bought a 50" RCA Scenium projection LCD TV from Best Buy. It's been a nice TV but I got it right as projection models were being canned. It's 1080i, only has one HDMI port, and teh lamp in the damn thing has burned out twice.

[quote name='DPsx7']Look, for the price of those TV's they should be compatible with more than just the PS3. With no SD support they should be like half the price then. The store models fail to impress and I just didn't see anything better than what I have already. Bigger screens just stretch everything out.[/QUOTE]

All my HDTVs are compatible with SD signals, so you have no idea what you're saying. If the screen stretches the image out, there are usually simple settings for that sort of thing. But really... :roll:

[quote name='DPsx7'] I've seen an HDTV so I think I'm qualified to comment. It's all hype. That or peer pressure if someone thinks they need an obscene-sized TV to feel good. Anyone saying HD is such an improvement needs their eyes checked or a smaller set.[/QUOTE]

I have TVs ranging from 27" to 50", they all work fine if you're willing to play with the settings a bit. Despite this, I prefer the bigger sets to the smaller. Just because you've seen AN HDTV doesn't give you much of a leg to stand on. Was it even on? Was it in a box?

[quote name='DPsx7']Oh, then I guess that's one place we differ. Lol. I can't stand movies. They're expensive, long, and boring. Again the last one I saw in a theater was probably the late 90's. The only 'movies' I own are the Simpsons Movie and Monty Python Holy Grail on DVD. Everything else is Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Robot Chicken, Beavis and Butthead, or Ren and Stimpy on DVD. They don't make anything good on BR's yet. Not that I'd ever place anything but a game in my PS3. Finally no it needs to be a good brand. My monitor and TV are both Samsung and both have to be 10-15 years old give or take. I don't mind paying for reliable equipment. HD just hasn't proven itself from the examples I've seen.[/QUOTE]

TVs die just as easily as any other piece of electronic equipment, no matter the brand. And even if a tube doesn't die after X amount of years, the picture quality tends to go south unless you're taking your TVs apart and changing/upgrading the inside.

I find it ironic that all the shows you watch rely heavily on pop culture, especially on the movies they send up, yet you hate movies...

At least you finally went HD. I still think you should have got a way bigger size,but hey that's just me. I have a 42 inch HDTV 1080p. Honestly its to big for my room. If I had to do it over I would get a 32 inch or less. xD

[quote name='DPsx7']Look, for the price of those TV's they should be compatible with more than just the PS3. With no SD support they should be like half the price then. The store models fail to impress and I just didn't see anything better than what I have already. Bigger screens just stretch everything out.[/QUOTE]

For one, HDTVs DO support SD. Also, if you honestly can't see a difference between HD and SD, then you need to get your eyes checked, because it's a damn big difference. (Unless you're legally blind.) And bigger screens only stretch out SD images, because their resolutions are so low. Bigger screens display HD images at normal size. If you're that picky about stretching images, keep an SDTV along with your HDTV. As much as you love the damn things, you must have plenty of them.

[quote name='DPsx7']I've seen an HDTV so I think I'm qualified to comment. It's all hype. That or peer pressure if someone thinks they need an obscene-sized TV to feel good. Anyone saying HD is such an improvement needs their eyes checked or a smaller set.[/QUOTE]

I seen a picture of Disney World one time, I'm fully qualified to give opinions and reviews on it. :roll:

Also, I'm pretty sure you're the one who needs to have theirs eyes checked. If you can't tell the difference between a 640x480 picture and a 1920x1080 picture, then you need a MUCH stronger prescription.

If you have the same monitor as me then it resets your 360 when you turn it on/off lol...solution is 360 HDMI kit...find them on Ebay pretty cheap...

Well duh, of course it was on. I'm not that daffy. It's gritty, stretched, big, basically all the things my SD isn't. My TV doesn't even have S-video, just 3 sets of composites and an output. What can I say, my screens lasted this long and show no signs of stopping. Samsung makes good stuff. And yeah I can't say I get all the jokes in those shows.

They don't really support it, my TV appears better. So what sense is there for buying into the HD scam? The only two things to maybe use HD are sports and movies and I couldn't care less about either one. I've perfect vision, how about you?

There is huge ass difference between SD and HD.
If you have a cable box then most of your SD signals are fine. Over the air SD sucks.

I was rocking a 20 somthing SD, until I bought my 32'. BIGGGG difference. I use it for everything. My PS2/3, Wii, 360, Blu-ray, DVD.

If the SD picture does look crappy you change some settings. :roll:

and eff the floor models they suck. The way some places have the cables routed completely screws up the picture.

Congrats on going HD OP.

O and I got my TV for $400. So that 200-300$ will most likely hit in the next year.

[quote name='Chitown021']Congrats Cheapest. It's been a good few weeks for you. You upgraded to HD and Sony has yet to ram a PS3 firmware update down your throat in 2010 :).

I jumped into the HDTV scene a little too quickly. About 5 years ago I bought a 50" RCA Scenium projection LCD TV from Best Buy. It's been a nice TV but I got it right as projection models were being canned. It's 1080i, only has one HDMI port, and teh lamp in the damn thing has burned out twice.[/QUOTE]

I kept looking at the one RCA projection HDtv at Kmart that was clearanced all the way down to $250-300 before it disappeared about 3 or so years ago. I kept hoping it would make it another drop and another drop to the cheapest price, since I would've upgraded to a projection tv for $100 or a little over.

But I don't have the room(or a decent way to get it down to where I have my PS3 now)for such a big tv, so it would've been for the family and not for my own personal use.

[quote name='jman619']At least you finally went HD. I still think you should have got a way bigger size,but hey that's just me. I have a 42 inch HDTV 1080p. Honestly its to big for my room. If I had to do it over I would get a 32 inch or less. xD[/QUOTE]

You're even saying you should've gone with a smaller sized tv. That's why I chose the 21.5" LCD monitor(besides price). It was the right size for the room I'm playing in.

If I could find another bigger monitor with the same max resolution and a built in HDMI and speakers like this one for about $250-300, I'd probably go a bit bigger. But I certainly don't need a 40-50" tv/monitor since I sit 5 feet from it as it is.

[quote name='DPsx7']Well duh, of course it was on. I'm not that daffy. It's gritty, stretched, big, basically all the things my SD isn't. My TV doesn't even have S-video, just 3 sets of composites and an output. What can I say, my screens lasted this long and show no signs of stopping. Samsung makes good stuff. And yeah I can't say I get all the jokes in those shows.

They don't really support it, my TV appears better. So what sense is there for buying into the HD scam? The only two things to maybe use HD are sports and movies and I couldn't care less about either one. I've perfect vision, how about you?[/QUOTE]

How is HD a scam? You don't need anything extra in fact I got 2 HDMi cables for 3 bucks each, and sold my old component cables for 7 bucks each...so I actually made 8 dollars off of cords because of HD.

If you don't see the difference you have lost your mind. It's not about size I have a 26 widescreen and its perfect.....

I want to you to play uncharted 2 on an HD set in someone's home whom has HDMI cables for 1 minute, and tell me that HD sucks.

It's a scam because it's no different. So nothing extra, just plug my PS3 into the TV as it is with no changes? Right, you'll be saying something else in 20 minutes I'm sure.

I think those that do are imagining it. I've seen them and maybe it's just my smaller screen but HD isn't better.

When I get to U2 (big backlog) I'm just gonna play it the way it was designed. The PS3 shipped with composite cables after all.

Eh, it makes the images clearer and sharper. For me it's like wearing glasses, without them on everything is "SD" but with them on everything is clearer and more crisp and sharp, I can read stuff fifty feet away I couldn't before. Now I'm not one of those who say you need to go out and buy one, but it does make a differences, just not that big a differences to justify buying unless you need a new tv or have the spare cash or something.

[quote name='DPsx7']It's a scam because it's no different. So nothing extra, just plug my PS3 into the TV as it is with no changes? Right, you'll be saying something else in 20 minutes I'm sure.

I think those that do are imagining it. I've seen them and maybe it's just my smaller screen but HD isn't better.

When I get to U2 (big backlog) I'm just gonna play it the way it was designed. The PS3 shipped with composite cables after all.[/QUOTE]

Um there is plenty extra. Your SD TV can't out the signals that a HD TV can. Your cables may be able to output lets say a 720p signal, but if your TV can't produce it then 480 is what you get. You will notice a major difference on a HD set with just cables, and BIGGER difference with a HDMI cable. If you get a good spec'd HD TV then should look a lot better then really and SD TV.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I kept looking at the one RCA projection HDtv at Kmart that was clearanced all the way down to $250-300 before it disappeared about 3 or so years ago. I kept hoping it would make it another drop and another drop to the cheapest price, since I would've upgraded to a projection tv for $100 or a little over.

But I don't have the room(or a decent way to get it down to where I have my PS3 now)for such a big tv, so it would've been for the family and not for my own personal use.

You're even saying you should've gone with a smaller sized tv. That's why I chose the 21.5" LCD monitor(besides price). It was the right size for the room I'm playing in.

If I could find another bigger monitor with the same max resolution and a built in HDMI and speakers like this one for about $250-300, I'd probably go a bit bigger. But I certainly don't need a 40-50" tv/monitor since I sit 5 feet from it as it is.[/QUOTE]

Smaller,but not no 21 inch. Around a 27-32 even for the smallest of rooms. 32 would have been my ideal size. I would have bought it instead of the 42 inches If I knew then what I knew now.

[quote name='jman619']Smaller,but not no 21 inch. Around a 27-32 even for the smallest of rooms. 32 would have been my ideal size. I would have bought it instead of the 42 inches If I knew then what I knew now.[/QUOTE]

The 21" monitor was right in the price range I was looking for. If the LCD makers would come down in price to $200 or less for a real LCD tv for a 26" or so, I would've bought one of those probably.

However, I'm not gonna hunt all over for a bigger screen cuz I know I'm probably not going to find a legit LCD tv for $200 or less unless it's one of the damaged display only models left after the employees ransack the local Kmart for the clearance models.

[quote name='jman619']200 or less? You really are the cheapest gamer aren't you? How much did you pay for your PS3?[/QUOTE]

mY 40 GB I used to have or the slim I have now? I paid full MSRP at the time($400) for the 40gb, though that was mostly paid for with cash from selling my prior gen stuff that I paid maybe 1/3 of that for, along with some credit from FYE from DVD sets(24 season boxsets I found at Salvation Army for $5-6 each they gave me $15-20 each for).:D

As for the slim, I traded in the 40gb to Gamestop when they had the $150 TIV deal in August of this past year and I paid for the rest with credit from games I got for less than $50 total.:D

So yeah, I haven't really paid MSRP(in my eyes anyway) for any of my gaming this gen thus far.;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again now. I don't really need or want a huge tv, but if I lean towards getting one it has to be within my price range I'm willing to pay.

[quote name='jman619']200 or less? You really are the cheapest gamer aren't you? How much did you pay for your PS3?[/QUOTE]

Why does that matter? I bought a 60gb. I also have around 75 games. That does something new. HD doesn't. The value is completely different.

Like someone mentioned above, why buy HD if my current set still works and looks better? There's no reason to throw away a working TV for something that will make the majority of content worse. I mean someday if I can find a Samsung set in a nice large 20-23 inch size for $150 then I'll consider it. That won't solve the overhype issue though.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's ok. I'm trying to figure out which thing I said I'd 'never do' which I'm gonna break next.:)

Sure. You buying me another Acer LCD screen and a seperate Blu-Ray player and some Blu-Ray movies to go with it?:D;) I still will NOT use my PS3 for anything but gaming.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, well I just lost confidence in your cheapness since a real CAG would use the PS3 as a Blu-ray player as well as a gaming device--why buy another blu-ray player when you have one built in, and a perfectly good TV too? I like devices to be multi-purpose; for example, I bought a combination leaf blower that converts into a leaf shredder. My shop vac can be converted into a leaf blower, etc. I don't like to have my TV console filled to the brim with devices--that's why I like the PS3--everything is in one little box, no dongle wi-fi thingy, no external optical drive, etc.

[quote name='DPsx7']
Why does that matter? I bought a 60gb. I also have around 75 games. That does something new. HD doesn't. The value is completely different.[/QUOTE]

I stand by my point, from a previous thread, that you should go to a Rent-a-Center and rent an HDTV, connect it to the PS3 with an HDMI cable ($3 from monoprice) and then come back and tell us that it's not the same as your 13" SDTV. Seeing the thing in the store is not the same as having it hooked up properly at your home. Anyone can fiddle with the TVs in the store, and who knows where the images are coming from? When I saw my TV at the store, they had some crappy analog cable hooked up to it and it looked like garbage. When I got it home and hooked my U-verse up to it, it looks excellent. Also, with the PS3 watching Blu-rays in 1080p, it's night and day.

Anyway, if you're happy with your tiny screen, so be it. Don't begrudge us for loving our HD, nobody's forcing you to buy anything.

I jumped on a $290 Panasonic Viera 26" from Amazon last weekend. The TV came today, and I must say, I can't believe I played on SD for so long. HD is so much better and I'm only playing in 720p.

You guys can stop responding to that guy, it's obvious he's a joke character.
He got me again too earlier in the thread when I tried hard to resist, he's good.

[quote name='DPsx7']Why does that matter? I bought a 60gb. I also have around 75 games. That does something new. HD doesn't. The value is completely different.

Like someone mentioned above, why buy HD if my current set still works and looks better? There's no reason to throw away a working TV for something that will make the majority of content worse. I mean someday if I can find a Samsung set in a nice large 20-23 inch size for $150 then I'll consider it. That won't solve the overhype issue though.[/QUOTE]

His name is the cheapest gamer is why I asked. I wanted to see what he paid for a PS3. To see if he lives up to the name. ;)

[quote name='jh6269']Hmm, well I just lost confidence in your cheapness since a real CAG would use the PS3 as a Blu-ray player as well as a gaming device--why buy another blu-ray player when you have one built in, and a perfectly good TV too? I like devices to be multi-purpose; for example, I bought a combination leaf blower that converts into a leaf shredder. My shop vac can be converted into a leaf blower, etc. I don't like to have my TV console filled to the brim with devices--that's why I like the PS3--everything is in one little box, no dongle wi-fi thingy, no external optical drive, etc.[/QUOTE]

Because I don't care that much for movies and I'll keep watching them on my old combo DVD player/VCR and my SDtv(which is back upstairs now that I have the 21.5" LCD for my PS3)until Blu-Ray players and BR movies come down to the level that DVD players and movies are at now(that being where I can grab a basic player for $20-30 and movies for $5 or under).

bread's done
Back