I haven't paid full price for a game in over 5 years, what about you?

Anthony1

CAGiversary!
A buddy of mine was joking with me about how cheap I am when it comes to video games. He asked me, "When is the last time I paid full price for a video game?" It took me awhile to think about it. After spending some time really trying remember when I last paid full price, I've narrowed it down to sometime in the year 2007. I'm pretty sure it was earlier in the year 2007, so it's been about 5 years.

Seems crazy for me to even ponder such a thought, as I used to buy tons of video games each month, brand new, for full pop. Those days have long since passed. I think it's going to take a new console launch to get me to actually pay full price for a video game. I'm guessing that November 2013 will probably be the next time I pay the full retail price for a game.

I think the last one was Gears of War 2...

That doesn't count gifts (otherwise Skyward Sword, Mario 3d Land and NBA 2k12 last year were all purchased at full price) that I received and sometimes picked out. (Mainly Zelda, brother asked me what I wanted for 50 or less for my birthday)

I paid full price for Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition, but most of that was with credit. Same goes for UFC Undisputed 3, but again, that was with credit.

I haven't paid full price with out of pocket money in a long, long time.

If you count Amazon pre-order credits as price reductions, then I haven't paid full price for a game this generation. If you don't count them, then I've still only paid full price for Mass Effect 3 and Borderlands.

If you count paying in credit (most of which I get flipping games from pawns to GS or wherever) then I don't think I have since we first bought a Gamecube. Besides, the only thing I buy on release is stuff I know won't be available later (Xenoblade, Zelda SS LE, Dead Island LE, etc.) otherwise I wait for a price drop of some sort.

If you count import games, it was probably the Japanese version of DDR Extreme and DDR Party Collection for PS2 in late 2004. For non import games, I think it was probably Gran Turismo for Playstation in 1998. I first started finding out about clearance games in 1999 and haven't paid full price for a game since. Around 2002 is when I found out about Target clearance and that's when I started to really build up my game collection for the current systems at the time. Back then, almost nothing was tagged as clearance and was still tagged full price in the case and not nearly as many people were looking for deals/clearance so it was easy to get games for 75% off.

If we're talking straight up, I've done it as recently as SFXT. I bought it day one for full price (but all of it with credit).

If I do an average paid per game, I'm probably near $35/game for the past 4/5/6 years? I don't like to wait long and I don't buy a lot of games that I won't have an interest in playing (even if they're cheap).

Before that time, I rented almost exclusively.

beatles rockband (wanted to play it that weekend) and xenoblade (because I thought that the price wouldnt fall down very fast anyway, looking like a good call)
Beatles Rockband got cheap quick though! But you gotta live in the moment sometimes.

I haven't in years out of pocket, I have bought select games at launch like the Pokemon RPG DS games but for those I have used gift cards, usually won in a contest or gotten from things like e-rewards or other survey type clubs. The last console game I remember buying at launch was Wii Sports Resort and it was paid for with e-rewards credit.

The only early clearance I knew about was Kmart, I had worked there in 1999 so I knew how they marked stuff down, I got many toy deals for very very cheap prices. Some of my fellow cashiers were getting items for a penny each when I was there, we would ring up stuff for 1 cent and have transactions that were like 10 cents, then we would use our employee discount just for laughs to save 1 penny cause you got 10% employee discount. But I believe that was a temporary glitch in the system where these items were really supposed to be 10.00 or 1.00 on clearance but were accidently priced 1 penny. I don't even think we had Target in 1999, we got it somewhere around 2000 I think.

Cash from my pocket? Its been a few years....I still get a few games for full price once and a while with credit. I think SR3 was the last game I paid $60 for. Everything else I wait till $30 or less and then I still use credit to get it.

Recently? Day one purchases for me... Soul Calibur V (CE), Final Fantasy XIII-2 (CE), BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (CE), Hyper Dimension Neptunia mk2 (CE), Street Fighter x Tekken (CE), Xenoblade Chronicles.

So yea, that's all the full price purchases I've made so far this year. Granted a fair portion of it was trade in value, but still.

I'm also going to quit console gaming if future consoles don't support used games. So they'll lose a fuck ton of profit from me. I buy plenty of used, but I also pay full price and buy new for the developers that deserve it.

This is a very touchy subject for me because I have friends that work in the game industry. Certain games that I know my friends have worked on, I will go out and buy. Games such as Borderlands, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Gears of War 1, 2, 3; COD MW, 2, 3.

I'll just say this. If you played COD MW, do you remember the training stage which determines the level of difficulty for the game. My friend was the one that set that time. He's now working for Quantic Dream, makers of Heavy Rain. Guess that means I'll be picking up whatever the next game he works on.

Probably around 10 this generation. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls Collector's Edition, Xenoblade Chronicles, Deus Ex Augmented Edition, L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 2/3 Collector's Editions, Borderlands, maybe a few more.

I bought Skyrim at full price and it was tottally worth every penny! Before then I hadn't bought a game at full price since L4D2, well it wasn't quite full price but the $5 off preorder price, which is nearly full price. I can't remember what the last game before that that I paid full (or nearly full) price for was.

Only stuff like Collectors and Limited Edition. Mass Effect 1 and 2 LE were worth it.

Also got Skyward Sword CE, Mario 3D and Mario Kart 7, but not really full price with Kmart coupon. Other games I got from amazon on release day but not really full price with $10 coupon

I know I'm going to get shit for this, but I pre-ordered X-Men Destiny from Gamestop. I was not going to miss out on the Havok DLC, goddammit.

I havent PAID for a game period in like 3 years.

I get free Amazon gift cards from SwagBucks, I use that to buy games. A guide is in my signature.

11 years for me. I paid full price for Grand Theft Auto 3. Any game that I buy for more than $20 I sell at a profit, I never have any difficulty getting any game I care a lot about within a month of release.

Dark Souls CE was the last game I paid full price for out of my own pocket. Completely worth every penny. Before that was Warioware Smooth Moves.

I did buy Batman: Arkham City at full price too but I paid for that using three gift cards I received over the course of the year before it came out.

As someone else mentioned, I also have gotten a few gifts (like Skyrim) and the person has paid full price.

I find it hard to put down the full $60 when I know it will be ~$40 in a few weeks. It would have to come with a lot of extras or a highly anticipated game. For example, me and my best friend played the crap out of Demon's Souls and Arkham Asylum so we were ready to bust down the door on the release dates for the sequels. :D

If we're talking cash? I've never paid full price out of pocket. If paying with credit counts as paying full price, then Mass Effect 3 CE.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']50 bucks for xenoblade chronicles. I just couldnt see it getting cheaper considering its a gamestop exclusive[/QUOTE]
Ditto. Well, at least I received a copy of the artbook for free.

I believe my last full price purchases no coupons etc.

Metal Gear Solid 1998, first time a demo had me go out and buy a game right away.
Diablo II 2000, I skipped school to go buy this, only 2 copies on the shelf and it was sold out for a few weeks here.
World of Warcraft 2004
Diablo III CE

It's been a few years for me as well. When I first got the Best Buy RZ Mastercard, that's when I started getting games, basically free with my points. I use that CC for everything, and I rack up points like crazy. New game comes out, I snag it for $.45, because they make me buy a pop or something.

I did buy Rayman Origins for $20 from Toys R Us New though. I guess that's a full price sale...

Just the past year I started getting into used stuff. But I only buy used games that I can no longer find new in store. I'm always on the look out for old Gems as well for all systems.

And then I discovered this site by hearing Cheapy D on an episode of 8-4 play. Life was changed forever.

I've bought a few games at full price within the last 6 months: COD MW3 Hardened, BF3, Uncharted 3. And I pre-ordered Max Payne 3, Sniper Elite V2, and Sleeping Dogs, which will all be full price. However, I ALWAYS have a gift card, or trade-in credit, or something like that. The last time I paid full price without any type of credit or gift cards was Red Dead Redemption, which I pre-ordered and got a $20 Amazon credit for doing so. Does that still count as a full price game if you get money back? I consider Amazon credit getting money back because I can buy toilet paper just as easily as a game.

I still preorder and pay full price for some games. Call of duty titles, halo games, gears... Last one was prob mass effect 3. Which i tried to get discounted from newegg but then recieved madden 12. So i went to bestbuy and paid full price and returned to madden 12 to newegg. They really let me down on that one

Since August of 2010, I've paid full price for the following games:
  • Super Mario All-Stars (Wii)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword w/ Gold Remote Bundle (Wii)
  • Twisted Metal (PS3)
First-party Wii games stubbornly maintain their prices, and those two were in short supply when I picked them up, so I think I made the right decision.

Twisted Metal was bought with an amalgam of spare gift cards and Amazon rewards points, so it ended up costing me dramatically less in cash, but I've played the crap out of the game, so it'd have been worth it even if I didn't.

Full price no credit? Dark Souls.
Full price even with credit? Armored Core V.

Also, we talking full price MSRP day 1($59.99 for console games less for handheld and Wii) or just full price current MSRP?

I don't really mind paying full price for games that I'm dying to play. I save so much money on 90% of the games I buy that it doesn't hurt to pay retail price for the other 10%.

My tipping point, (the point at which I'll consider purchasing a game), is the $20 mark. The exception being a coupon program, like K-Mart had last year, or an actual good B1G1 sale, (in which the game prices aren't inflated for the sale).

Battlefield 3 for PC was my rare exception. Before that the last full price game I purchased was Battlefield 2.

Between here and slickdeals, there is no reason to pay full price.

I bought Resident Evil Revelations for full price with the Circle Pad Pro. But that's a rarity. I usually wait a year for a game I really want to drop to the $30-$20 range.

Mass Effect 3 was the last game I will pay $60 for. Even if I am psyched for something, I can wait the standard 6 six weeks to get it for $40.

Last time I paid full price for a game - Saving up my allowance and buying pokemon yellow version when I was 9 or 10.

hahaha. I've always been a cheap ass. It's just gotten worse since I joined the site in march. My retro game collection has grown exponentially and Ive either broken even or made a profit on every deal.

Went from around 20 snes games & 10ish genesis to.. fastforward 3 months and have
three 8ft long shelves overflowing with carts and 6 nes consoles.. 3 months ago i didn't even own a NES game.

[quote name='SnesGuy']Last time I paid full price for a game - Saving up my allowance and buying pokemon yellow version when I was 9 or 10.

hahaha. I've always been a cheap ass. It's just gotten worse since I joined the site in march. My retro game collection has grown exponentially and Ive either broken even or made a profit on every deal.

Went from around 20 snes games & 10ish genesis to.. fastforward 3 months and have
three 8ft long shelves overflowing with carts and 6 nes consoles.. 3 months ago i didn't even own a NES game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. A little after I moved, around 2003 I had my SNES and like a dozen games and a busted 64 with 2 games.

Now I have a Genesis with like 60-70 games. 2 NES's with 20+ games, a zapper gun and the Power Pad, 20+ N64 games (and a working system), 20+ SNES games, a Mountain Dew XBox with 20 games (gave my bro a handful), two mini PSOnes and a few games, and 2 RROD'd 360s and 40+ games for it (not counting another probably 20 arcade games), the wired racing wheel, DDR mat, the full original set of Rock Band instruments and a wireless GH guitar, the Live Cam, and 3 headsets.

But as for me, N64 was the last system that was bought new (got it for Christmas).

The first and last game I personally paid cash for was WWF No Mercy for it (which pissed me off as I bought it in August and in December it was at either Bon-Ton or Boscov's marked down to $15)

I just don't care much about new releases. Left 4 Dead 2 and Halo Reach were the only games I was really amped for when it was released and used a bunch of amazon credit I made from swagbucks and a panel site I was a member of at the time where I made $15 a month and occassionally got $25-$50 bonuses.

Speaking of which, I've been racking up the amazon credits from swagbucks again and should soon have enough to get a 360 slim.

bread's done
Back