I just got a job at Gamestop, but what is training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! Congrats, and welcome! If you are a seasonal it will probably just be a few hours of exciting paper work and then you get to have fun! Talking about and selling games. How cool. Once again, congrats!

OMG TEH SWEET!!11!!! Here's what training is:
1. Watch a stupid goddamed movie about how awesome the company is, as it tries to convince you that the decisions are made by gamers. (Surprise, they're not).
2. Fill out this long ass packet of questions regarding info you won't need or use
3. Go out on the floor in your awesome khakis and loafers and try and be nice to people who won't even acknowledge the fact you're trying to help them.
4. Listen to the promises that you'll get more than 5-10 hrs a week AFTER the holidays if you stay on.

That's it! Now you're a full-fledged Gamestop employee! Boy, it sure is a lot of fun! Ha ha!

*Chokes self*

[quote name='BigNick']you perform oral pleasure on the store manager.[/quote]

That's actually during the interview.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='BigNick']you perform oral pleasure on the store manager.[/quote]

That's actually during the interview.[/quote]

are you sure?

I thought that was how you got your Christmas bonus

about how long does the training take?(i only got 4:30 hours from begining of training to my other job)

However long they want to keep you there. It takes a few days at least. Something I haven't been able to reconcile because as a seasonal staff member you don't do ANYTHING. You just stand there and greet people, which gives them greater excuse to cut your hours. Don't quit your other job just yet. I made that same mistake.

it is very simple, at the one i work at there was no video, the only paper work i had to do was my info and bank account (if you dont have one,you get a debit card for the atm). i where a collared shirt, khakis, and timberlands (got a while ago when i had my first job). your trainin will probably just gutting games (putting in sleeves), putting the cases on the wall, and watching what the others do. the people that have worked there for a while will probably show you how to do the stuff and it is very easy once you get the hang of it which should be quick. i got 20 hours a week now and there are others that have been there longer that down. it just all depends on how flexible your schedule is... the more flexible, the better. most of the other employees are in school (high school and college) so i get lots of hours because of that.

There's training at GameStop? Why didn't I get any? Maybe I should say something...I've only been there a year. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it. :roll:

HOW LONG dfoes it take training, as in hours that day, i have another job to get about 4 and 1/2 hours later after training begins

[quote name='Tromack']The bargain hunter, shall become the bargain hunted.[/quote]

that is so true, ohh my training begins at 1 pm, but my other job which is litterly 30 seonds away next door, has me on schedule for 4:30 to be their, will I make it in time

I have not got even an interview yet just the manager called me and ask can I show up for training on friday at 1 pm

Gamestop training:

You have to repeat the following phrase one thousand times:
"welcome to Gamestop, is there something I can help you with today?...(wait for reply)... well, if you have any questions my name is (insert name here)"

Then you must walk around for 4 hours and repeat this phrase every time you see someone for the first time, then ignore them as if they are invisible until they leave the room.

Then you must learn the art of badgering a customer to pre-order the latest fighting/wrestling/trendy GTA clone game and properly use the scare tactic of not being able to find the new release if they don't pre-order.

[quote name='bmulligan']Gamestop training:

You have to repeat the following phrase one thousand times:
"welcome to Gamestop, is there something I can help you with today?...(wait for reply)... well, if you have any questions my name is (insert name here)"

Then you must walk around for 4 hours and repeat this phrase every time you see someone for the first time, then ignore them as if they are invisible until they leave the room.

Then you must learn the art of badgering a customer to pre-order the latest fighting/wrestling/trendy GTA clone game and properly use the scare tactic of not being able to find the new release if they don't pre-order.[/quote]

sucks bein on the othr end almost like a bestbuy employee :lol:

Bingo. But it's not liek We(Or at least I) enjoy (enjoyed) it. I hated it. And the only reason I ignored customers after I asked them if they needed help the first time is because if you follow-up, most people get all pissy. BE prepared for a lot of that, and people making insane claims/demands/bitching at you about trade prices/asking you questions you can't possibly answer etc. God, what was I thinking taking that job?

Reality's Fringe said:
Bingo. But it's not liek We(Or at least I) enjoy (enjoyed) it. I hated it. And the only reason I ignored customers after I asked them if they needed help the first time is because if you follow-up, most people get all pissy. BE prepared for a lot of that, and people making insane claims/demands/bitching at you about trade prices/asking you questions you can't possibly answer etc. God, what was I thinking taking that job?

what do you think the manager will say when I have to dip about 3:30 hours into training to go to my other job(he is well aware of my other job, as he handed me the app(i just went thier to pick up a use game)

When I started there, it was $6 an hour for me. I got a 10 cent raise my first year, a quarter raise my second year, and a $1 raise when I was promoted to key holder. The discount is 15% off, used to be 20%. Usually you are allowed to take home games for up to 4 days. You can take home new games as well as used ones. The rules may vary depending on the manager, but we had to have at least 4 copies of the game in stock before you could check it out, unless it was an older title no one was really buying. Of course all that goes out the window if your store is under IMPACT (meaning high amounts of retail shrinkage) In that case, you are SOL

You also get a discount at Barnes & Noble and B. Dalton. Anyone know what those discount percentages are? No one at my store seems to know.

i didn't have to stay for 4 hours. they just trained me during work. my manager is really cool, so i dont have to badger the customers. just ask and if they say no,that is fine. if you get a jackass manager, i suggest getting out of there though. my manager is going to leave because the pay is so bad, so i am thinking out starting to look for a new job just incase we get an asshole there.

That's pretty much why I quit. My boss was a great guy, he left so he could focus on school full time, and the person who took his place was a bitch.

[quote name='nickmad']wow, you are annoying...why dont you wait untill you get to the job to find out all the answers.[/quote]

wow your a genious, keep remarks like that out of the thread thank you

The best thing to do on your first day is to tell the manager that he/she is a moron. Ask him/her if she wants to fight you. Then rampage around the room knocking stuff over...

Err.. just kidding.

Seriously- congrats on the new job. If you have the time let us know when sales are happening.

i get paid $5.75 per hour. pay isn't great,but since i haven't finished high school i don't have many options right now. on some days it is like dead in my store so we get to play games that are set up for people to test.

Eh I was looking for the same answer only I've been at Gamestop for almost 2 years an I'm doing the mandatory everyone training thing which I have no idea wtf is all about

REDICULOUSNESS!

But yeah I never saw a video.... haha

Of course I'm not suprised Ithe manager that hired me apparently didn't give me half the papers I was supposed to fill out

You couldn't have waited until this topic had it's 5th birthday to add NOTHING to the topic? At least then there would have been cake.

[quote name='Scorch']Thanks for sharing that. Really. It was definitely worth you bumping up a FOUR AND A HALF YEAR OLD POST.[/QUOTE]
You're just mad he didn't make a new thread so you could tell him it was a repost. ;)

If you haven't even started and are already asking to come in at different times, you probably won't have the job very long. If you really want the job, use a call-in at your other job (letting them know you really need the day off) and get your Gamestop training bullshit out of the way.

The economy is in the shitter, so your manager (unless he is King Asshole) should give you some wiggle room in order to do what you need to do to pick up a second job. Best option might be to ask at your existing job for the chance to come in later if need be, not to leave early from the job you haven't started yet.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']If you haven't even started and are already asking to come in at different times, you probably won't have the job very long. If you really want the job, use a call-in at your other job (letting them know you really need the day off) and get your Gamestop training bullshit out of the way.

The economy is in the shitter, so your manager (unless he is King Asshole) should give you some wiggle room in order to do what you need to do to pick up a second job. Best option might be to ask at your existing job for the chance to come in later if need be, not to leave early from the job you haven't started yet.[/QUOTE]

You DO know you are replying to a 4 year old post, right? The economy wasnt in the shitter then.

[quote name='crystalklear64']You're just mad he didn't make a new thread so you could tell him it was a repost. ;)[/QUOTE]

I know! I didn't even get to use the search feature when replying to this thread :(

[quote name='Malik112099']You DO know you are replying to a 4 year old post, right? The economy wasnt in the shitter then.[/QUOTE]

Where I live it's always in the shitter. God bless General Motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back