I just got fingerprinted for a trade in at gamestop?!?!

[quote name='javeryh']I think I know a thing or two about legal precedents. Blah blah blah.[/QUOTE]

:roll: I went to college, and I can read and copy from a book, too.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']:roll: I went to college, and I can read and copy from a book, too.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations. I also went to law school, graduated with honors and have been practicing for 6 years. ;)

this is happening because gamestop is now considered a pawn shop
pawn shops are required to do all that stuff they even ask for your weight

[quote name='javeryh']Congratulations. I also went to law school, graduated with honors and have been practicing for 6 years. ;)[/QUOTE]

I graduated from an Ivy League Bachelor's program a month and a half ago while we're on the subject. This is true, but I'm sarcastically asking who cares on this forum?

For me, having a company take my fingerprints for what accounts to a mundane transaction is worrisome. I already hate giving out my SSN in this age of identity theft. If companies start asking for fingerprints en masse, this means that disgruntled employees just have one more tool to stick it to their past customers. If they have a copy of my fingerprint, it makes it just that much easier to pretend to be me. This concern will worsen as fingerprints become more commonly used in digital transactions, as I'm sure a copied fingerprint will be ungodly easily to duplicate online.

Ultimately, bye-bye stores that will ask for my fingerprints. I've already refused to purchase from places that have asked for my SSN.

[quote name='javeryh']Congratulations. I also went to law school, graduated with honors and have been practicing for 6 years. ;)[/QUOTE]

I went art school. I could illustrate the two of you arguing. ;)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What's the greatest thing ever? Telling the owner of private property that people are not allowed to do a LEGAL activity on their property? Do you not understand the legal precedent that sets?

If the government wants to eventually ban smoking, that's fine with me. Until then, they shouldn't be able to tell a bar owner, for instance, that they can't have people smoke...INSIDE THEIR BAR. It's their property. It's not public property. It's not a government building. If the owner wants to prohibit smoking in their bar, that's fine, too. Again, it's their property. They can require you wear panties on your head to gain admittance, if they so desire. If you don't want to inhale smoke or wear panties on your head, don't go to that bar.[/QUOTE]

Dude, it's about the employees. Waitresses and bartenders have been forced to work in the haze of smoke for a long time. Also, most business owners don't own the building they operate out of so it's not THEIR private property.

As for fingerprinting, I don't mind it. I'm pretty sure Gamestop isn't going to copy my print and use it to trade in stolen games somewhere else.

And lol at the gamestop manager complaining that he's losing money because he's taking in stolen goods. So the original owner should just have to suck it up after he got robbed? It's Gamestop's now and he should have to track down the robber?

Yea, Ive seen some odd rules applied to some of the stores here in the Philadelphia area because of game trades. While we havent done any finger printing (im sure only because it would cause a riot), I know that our local BBV cant accept trades past 5 or 6 PM because of some local pawn shop rules and microcenter is left out of all the good game deals because they cant buy or sell used games without a permit that they cant get for some reason(while there are 20 ebs in a 1 mile radius of the store that didnt have any problems).

All in all, its a political matter and ultimately if you really want to trade the games in they could make you do the hokey pokey for all they care because its your choice.

I was at my gamestop to trade in Paper Mario and they asked me for my birth certificate and a sample of both blood and semen. Separate of course. Now, at first I was willing to provide the birth certificate... But when they told me they wanted my bodily fluids, I was shocked! I told the clerk that I was not going to dio such a thing. So I picked up my game and was walking out the door when.... He threw an Xbox at my head. Those things can kill a small infant according to the manual! What idf this guy, nuts!? So I go to yell at him... when all of a sudden he pulls out a 60gig PS3 and hits me with that too! I was knocked down and felt very woozy, and thats when he came and collected blood from my now-bleeding forehead. I felt so dizzy... so helpless.... but then it got worse... He unzipped my pants and he..... he.... I can't continue... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I left the store, feeling humiliated, but $5 richer in credit... And as I left the store with my head hung low, I heard him in the background... "Thank you for shopping at Gamestop. Come again!" fucker.

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah its a local thing. Here in Miami fingerprints aren't required for trade in's. So its not a Florida law either. Honestly a fingerprint is harmless. You leave about 200 of em when you walk in the store. It's in no way a security risk.[/QUOTE]

Really? I leave about 5. You must be touchy feely;p

Pwnage at its finest.

[quote name='Chronis']I was at my gamestop to trade in Paper Mario and they asked me for my birth certificate and a sample of both blood and semen. Separate of course. Now, at first I was willing to provide the birth certificate... But when they told me they wanted my bodily fluids, I was shocked! I told the clerk that I was not going to dio such a thing. So I picked up my game and was walking out the door when.... He threw an Xbox at my head. Those things can kill a small infant according to the manual! What idf this guy, nuts!? So I go to yell at him... when all of a sudden he pulls out a 60gig PS3 and hits me with that too! I was knocked down and felt very woozy, and thats when he came and collected blood from my now-bleeding forehead. I felt so dizzy... so helpless.... but then it got worse... He unzipped my pants and he..... he.... I can't continue... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I left the store, feeling humiliated, but $5 richer in credit... And as I left the store with my head hung low, I heard him in the background... "Thank you for shopping at Gamestop. Come again!" fucker.[/QUOTE]
We give up our freedom to "help" law enforcement and this is what we get in return.

I am well aware that this post is a joke, but the way things are going its not that farfetched.

[quote name='macjz212']1st - I'd like to ask exactly how does a store, or the police for that matter, prove that any merchandise traded in is stolen? Unless the case or box has initials or something, how do they determine that this copy of "X" is different than this copy of "X"? Do they just go around and confiscate every traded-in copy of that game from a certain radius and then do fingerprint analysis? That seems like a lot of taxpayer money for a game.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/breaking_news/story/776295.html

Sorta like that. The police would provide gamestop with a list of items that were stolen and they could check their records and see if one person was trading in multiple identical items. It's not enough to prove guilt but it can lead to closer investigation.

I think some people in this thread are overreacting about something simple. It's not like they take all of your fingerprints. Usually it's just one. I'm willing to wager that it was a right thumbprint. Good luck stealing someone's identity with just that. No big deal.

[quote name='Ziv']I think some people in this thread are overreacting about something simple. It's not like they take all of your fingerprints. Usually it's just one. I'm willing to wager that it was a right thumbprint. Good luck stealing someone's identity with just that. No big deal.[/QUOTE]

It was indeed a right thumb print, 2/6 stores did this in the area when I was trading in. They said they had 2 cases where stolen goods were involved and it was suppose to help the sheriff or so. I denied the 2nd one that asked me for this

bread's done
Back