I just played Mario Bros to phase 99 and beyond

darkjediknight77

CAGiversary!
I don't post very often but I had to talk about this. The original Mario Bros game is one of my favorites of all time. I play it most often on the GBA. It is included in most or all of the Mario games. I have always been very good at it. I have been wondering since I was a kid what happens if you get to phase 99? Does the game end? Does it go to phase 100? I just found out. The games continues on phase 99 indefinitely. I was able to get to phase 99 without using the one continue. I was amazed that I was able to do it. I ended up dead at the equivilent of phase 105. After I found out the game stays at 99, I played wrecklessly. I spent about an hour and 15 minutes playing it.

Has anyone else ever done this? -Mike

The original Mario Bros, along with most games from the early "video game" generation (i'd say from the 70s to the mid 80s, had games that were more about the "high score" then actual endings. a running joke is "back in my day games didn't end they just got harder and faster just like life, the game kills you" (i know i messed that up someone out there with the sig i saw it from could correct me) but I mean yeah, the game was meant to be played at the Arcade and was meant to see who had the highest score. it wasn't until later, story and endings became a part of video games. (not much later, but I'd say the "story" craze started with the original Super Mario Bros. and most games after that had endings)

bread's done
Back