I just won Persona 1 on PS1, worth it?

ivanwijaya

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I just won Persona 1 + guide for PS1 on Ebay for $94+7 shipping. Do you guys think this is a good deal? I am wondering if it's worth it since I put a bid thinkin it will be outbid but I won it. I have recently started playing Persona 3 and totally loved it. Enough to make me want to get all the rest of the SMT series. This will be my first time paying such a huge sum for a single old game.

I want an opinion so that if it's not worth it I might ask the seller to cancel but if she won't do it I guess i have to buy it anyway...opinion will be appreciated. Thanks

It's a hard question to answer. The game is fantastically old and rare, the guide probably even more so. On that premise alone, the game might be worth it. On the other hand, it's also one of Atlus's earlier works to bring over, so it comes complete with name changes, one guy being turned African, missing a bonus dungeon, and an absolutely wretched map to navigate. As I recall, there was much abuzz about Persona 2, because it fixed so many things about the first game. Also, Persona 1 was remade for the PSP and has redone graphics, animations, and the bonus dungeon.

Of course, all this is moot. You won the auction, so you're obligated to pay for it. The only way you're getting out of this one clean is if the seller is a saint.

[quote name='ivanwijaya']I just won Persona 1 + guide for PS1 on Ebay for $94+7 shipping. Do you guys think this is a good deal? I am wondering if it's worth it since I put a bid thinkin it will be outbid but I won it. I have recently started playing Persona 3 and totally loved it. Enough to make me want to get all the rest of the SMT series. This will be my first time paying such a huge sum for a single old game.

I want an opinion so that if it's not worth it I might ask the seller to cancel but if she won't do it I guess i have to buy it anyway...opinion will be appreciated. Thanks[/QUOTE]
thats how the value of it is since P3 came out. not particularly a great deal since you bought it at face value.

[quote name='phear3d']thats how the value of it is since P3 came out. not particularly a great deal since you bought it at face value.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's not a great deal but not a bad one either. Although the condition of the copy you won is very good (as is the guide) so I'd say you paid a fairly normal price for it.

Thanks guys, I know I am obligated to pay since I won and I will if the seller wont let me cancel. I am trying to weigh the plus and minus here before asking anything to the seller since it's a lot of money for me. I am temted though but I am not sure if I will ever play it since I have the PSP version already.

The only bad thing about Persona 1, in my opinion, was the moderate load times before each battle. It's a shame that the Snow Queen quest never made it to the first one, but I actually enjoyed the Americanized characters (I think Mark, the black dude, made cracks about Jerry Springer and said "Whassup"--which is more tolerable than addressing everybody as Juju-san in my book).

I don't know how the guide will affect your experience; back in the day I was drawing dungeon maps and writing down which combinations of taunts would get cards from which demons. You could always cut your losses by putting up the strat guide for $89 (!) on Amazon.

the PSP persona tries too hard to be Persona 3/4 with new music and artwork. Keep in mind if you started with Persona 3 you might be disappointed as the other SMT games and even Persona 1 and 2 are somewhat different from Persona 3/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's leagues better than that uncomfortable Persona 3 and 4. But if you've gotten too comfortable with how 3 plays, 1 will make you cringe and want to die. Doesnt help the translation is god awful.

Yeah, imma stick with my $15 PSP version!

However, if you have that money to spend, then go for it! That is a welcome addition to any collection. Good luck getting the sequel!!

I haven't been tracking P1 for a while, but from what folks are saying it sounds like you should be able to make your money back if you decide to sell it, so although it's not really a good deal you're not necessarily overpaying. Also as toldawg says, don't wait until AFTER you win to decide whether you want it or not... nearly all sellers aren't going to take a no-pay lying down especially for a more expensive auction. When I did auctions noting bothered me more than someone throwing in a last minute bid and then saying "I wanna cancel, why should I pay you for this when I can get it for $2 less at gamestop?" You should always check completed listings before bidding to get a good idea of when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em

I did check the completed listing and saw the game usually go for 440-$50 and there is one guide that seld for $90+ that's why I bid $95 expecting someone will outbid me. It wasnt that last minute too...I am not trying to lie to get the seller to cancel, I am just asking for your opinions here on whether you guys think it's worth it or not given my situation (new to the series but really love it) and if it's not worth it I will politely ask the seller if she would cancel, if she refused I will pay anyway. Thanks to you all for giving me insights, I will think about it tonight again although I am leaning towards buying it for collection purpose and hopefully play it someday.

[quote name='nnthomas']It's leagues better than that uncomfortable Persona 3 and 4. But if you've gotten too comfortable with how 3 plays, 1 will make you cringe and want to die. Doesnt help the translation is god awful.[/QUOTE]

Your probably the only person that didn't like Persona 3 and 4 then. Those 2 games played incredibly and recieved universal praise from reviewers and got some of the highest scores for games they've ever recieved.

It's generally accepted that Persona 1 is inferior to Persona 3 and 4 by most people. That said its a fun game although the PSP version is superior in almost every way being unedited and having more content that was cut out of the US release.

[quote name='ivanwijaya']I will think about it tonight again although I am leaning towards buying it for collection purpose and hopefully play it someday.[/QUOTE]

You already bought it. You should have gone through this thought process BEFORE you bid on it and not after you already won the auction.

bread's done
Back