I loathe my College Sudent/Gamer Lifestyle

spiderman4657

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Don't get me wrong I love college but its just sometimes it collides with my gaming time. I hate having to stay up to 2:00 a.m. writing a term paper and at the same time juggling homework assignments that are due the same day. I enjoy the challenges college provides but sometimes it gets too much to handle. Not to mention that sometimes I feel like playing for 30 minutes with my friends on xbox live but due to the amount of work I have to do, its physically impossible. I'm seriously considering taking a stress seminar.

Fun Fact: Prior to college I never had a cup of coffee I now have 1-2 a day.

Man, just wait until you get to the working 40+hours a week/having a wife lifestyle. Or in my case, having a wife who works 60-80 hours a week/having a toddler lifestyle. Then tell me how much time you have for casual gaming ^^.

:), just in case people think I'm being bitter

[quote name='Frankski']Man, just wait until you get to the working 40+hours a week/having a wife lifestyle. Or in my case, having a wife who works 60-80 hours a week/having a toddler lifestyle. Then tell me how much time you have for casual gaming ^^.

:), just in case people think I'm being bitter[/QUOTE]

Oh god man, thanks you give me a lot to look forward to.

[quote name='spiderman4657']Don't get me wrong I love college but its just sometimes it collides with my gaming time. I hate having to stay up to 2:00 a.m. writing a term paper and at the same time juggling homework assignments that are due the same day. I enjoy the challenges college provides but sometimes it gets too much to handle. Not to mention that sometimes I feel like playing for 30 minutes with my friends on xbox live but due to the amount of work I have to do, its physically impossible. I'm seriously considering taking a stress seminar.

Fun Fact: Prior to college I never had a cup of coffee I now have 1-2 a day.[/QUOTE]
solution: get a job where you can play games at work

YEP!

I hate having to read and grade shitty, effortless, cut-and-paste from wikipedia term papers from students who spend all their time on XBL, facebook, and text messaging (and that's just when sober).

It interferes with *my* gaming time. Do your professors a favor: if you're going to put fuck-all's worth of effort into your work, just don't do it.

[quote name='mykevermin']I hate having to read and grade shitty, effortless, cut-and-paste from wikipedia term papers from students who spend all their time on XBL, facebook, and text messaging (and that's just when sober).

It interferes with *my* gaming time. Do your professors a favor: if you're going to put fuck-all's worth of effort into your work, just don't do it.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

-what college gamers think: "Life will be so much easier when I start working. No papers to write and no grades to worry about. I'll be free to play games from 5pm every day. Can't wait to graduate."

-My answer: "Wrong!"

-what life is really like: "Arrgh. I gotta cram my chores, social life, boyfriend/husband/father duties, basically my whole life outside of work into my evenings and weekends. I have no time to play games anymore. I wish I could go back to school and not have to worry about anything except my studies. Man, I played a lot of video games then."

You really should not be complaining considering you get a winter semester break and a 3 month summer break. Yeah, in the workforce you don't get those breaks. With my job I am lucky to get a fucking holiday off.

Gaming became much more difficult for me as well. At least my 4-year-old likes to play so I get to help out on occasion there. :)

A few fun items to look forward to:

• Kids
  • Spouse/girlfriend
  • 40+ hour job
  • Continuing education and testing for 40+ hour job
  • Home/apartment/condo cleaning, upkeep and repair

[quote name='RandyTsai']If you are a true gamer. You would quit your bad schooling habits and concentrated on your gaming.[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe he should go ahead and start working on his mother's basement too!

Seriously man, put school first. I'm in the same exact boat you are. Every day, since I've started school, I've looked forward to coming home, and playing my games. Now? I'm ready to come home, and sleep. I skipped out on buying Black Ops, and likely not going to renew my xbox live membership, due to distractions from school.

To help out with gaming though, I've found that with time management, I'm good. You need to work your schedule around so that you have at least one hour to fully enjoy yourself with. You could obligate yourself to take some online classes, and carefully plan your classes. See if you can get your classes on Monday, and Wednesday. That way, you have a huge stretch of time off for gaming and homework. It always pays to work ahead too. Any time you can work ahead, you should take that chance. You only have one life to enjoy, do what you can to enjoy it.

This is coming from a guy who is lucky to get four hours of sleep at night, then has to go do clinicals at the hospital the next day though. :cry:

[quote name='dannyox718']-what college gamers think: "Life will be so much easier when I start working. No papers to write and no grades to worry about. I'll be free to play games from 5pm every day. Can't wait to graduate."

-what life is really like: "Arrgh. I gotta cram my chores, social life, boyfriend/husband/father duties, basically my whole life outside of work into my evenings and weekends. I have no time to play games anymore. I wish I could go back to school and not have to worry about anything except my studies. Man, I played a lot of video games then."[/QUOTE]

No doubt about that. And most of us where guilty about that in college--thinking we had no free time etc.

We didn't know how good we had it at the time! Free time only shrinks as you age and get burdened with more and more responsibilities and obligations.

I work a full time and part time job, have 3 kids and a wife, try to juggle that. Enjoy college and maybe you need to get out more.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']As a 17-year-old going to college next year, I am now depressed.[/QUOTE]

Depends on your major and the professors you get. As an accounting major I had assloads of time to do whatever. Hard science and engineering is a little more demanding.

I wish I was this ignorant and naive again. OP.. you'll understand why people say that it's the best time of your life and how they wish they were younger again after a few years in the real world. I don't even have kids or a live-in SO but I feel like my life is so damn hectic as it is balancing a full-time job, gf, some resemblance of a social life, and trying to make it to a gym to combat my sedentary lifestyle a few times a week. That's all before having to take care of chores and seeing the family and whatnot. I don't know how married people with kids do it but even now when I have time to sit down and vege out, it's a struggle to figure out whether to catch up on gamings, movies, pick up the guitar or mess around on the computer and I never feel caught up on what I want to do.

So... good luck LOL

That's what I always thought too, that life would be so much easier once I finish school and get a 40 hour job - turns out I was right. I did end up getting married about a week after we graduated, but ever since then I've had way more time than ever before to game and do whatever. Even when I was working 70+ hours a week, I still had more time than I did during school. I think the trick is whether or not you're having kids, which we do not have.

Depends what your job is and what other social obligations you have etc. I guess.

I don't have (or want kids) and live by myself and don't have near the time I had to game in college or even grad school. I'm working 50-70 hour weeks most of the time, but also dealing with the girlfriend, friends, chores etc. etc.

I get gaming in, but usually 5-10 hours a week max, and that's if I'm neglecting hobbies I enjoy more like movies, sports etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']This would have made one hell of a blog :lol:[/QUOTE]

You could have got away just posting your icon as a post.

[quote name='spiderman4657']Don't get me wrong I love college but its just sometimes it collides with my gaming time. I hate having to stay up to 2:00 a.m. writing a term paper and at the same time juggling homework assignments that are due the same day. I enjoy the challenges college provides but sometimes it gets too much to handle. Not to mention that sometimes I feel like playing for 30 minutes with my friends on xbox live but due to the amount of work I have to do, its physically impossible. I'm seriously considering taking a stress seminar.

Fun Fact: Prior to college I never had a cup of coffee I now have 1-2 a day.[/QUOTE]

Fun Fact!
People will whine about their situation no matter what it is, and someone else always always has it worse!

-what college gamers think: "Life will be so much easier when I start working. No papers to write and no grades to worry about. I'll be free to play games from 5pm every day. Can't wait to graduate."

-what life is really like: "Arrgh. I gotta cram my chores, social life, boyfriend/husband/father duties, basically my whole life outside of work into my evenings and weekends. I have no time to play games anymore. I wish I could go back to school and not have to worry about anything except my studies. Man, I played a lot of video games then."
Depends on your major. If it's comp. sci. or engineering, you won't have any time. If it's anything else, you should have tons of time, provided you are disciplined, have good study skills and can manage your time.

I got a 3.2 in Accounting/Telecommunications, studied my notes for all my classes about 45 minutes per day, worked on papers about an hour every day the day they were assigned, so no staying up till 2am ever. I never crammed for finals or tests because I stretched out my studying all semester. During finals weeks, I played RPGs. I always watched TV or played games at night from 6-10. Studied after class - 6pm.

I will never have a job that's so demanding that requires more than 40 hours. If you have to work that much, you're wasting too much time at work, don't have any time management skills, or are understaffed.

If you're working >40 hours/week, I hope you own the business.

I don't have kids or a g/f, but only work 20 hours a week, so I have plenty of time for gaming and other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']I hate having to read and grade shitty, effortless, cut-and-paste from wikipedia term papers from students who spend all their time on XBL, facebook, and text messaging (and that's just when sober).

It interferes with *my* gaming time. Do your professors a favor: if you're going to put fuck-all's worth of effort into your work, just don't do it.[/QUOTE]

Well put myke

[quote name='RandyTsai']If you are a true gamer. You would quit your bad schooling habits and concentrated on your gaming.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Agreed.

[quote name='2DMention']
I will never have a job that's so demanding that requires more than 40 hours. If you have to work that much, you're wasting too much time at work, don't have any time management skills, or are understaffed.
[/QUOTE]

Or you one of the lucky ones like me--that despite bitching some times--actually loves our work and find it rewarding and generally don't mind at all spending more than 40 hours a week on it.

just remember to balance it all out. When i was in school, i would do a solid, no distraction hour of work then reward myself with an hour of non disturbed anything else i wanted (mostly gaming and playing).

but everyone's right. wiat until you get out of college. it really is the best time of your life. CHERISH those years. or pull a van wilder and never leave ;)

[quote name='thelonepig']Gaming became much more difficult for me as well. At least my 4-year-old likes to play so I get to help out on occasion there. :)

A few fun items to look forward to:

• Kids
  • Spouse/girlfriend
  • 40+ hour job
  • Continuing education and testing for 40+ hour job
  • Home/apartment/condo cleaning, upkeep and repair
[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one. Kids will be your saving grace when it comes to games....as long as you like Build-a-Bear and Littlest Pet Shop games.

M rated games will be something you play in ten minute snippets or when the kids are with your folks. Even then, you'll probably want to sleep or have a little "alone time" with the missus.

If you are in college, and your free time isn't spent chasing vagina... you are foolish.

Gaming was easy when my wife was working, then she got laid off. once she gets another job soon, all will be well.

[quote name='DestroVega']If you are in college, and your free time isn't spent chasing vagina... you are foolish.

[/QUOTE]

This, I didn't learn this and am still paying for it.

Cherish your college years. It's the last time you'll be mostly carefree, young, and with other people your age.

Once you get out in the real world, you'll never be around that many people your own age ever.

It's also Waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder to meet women.

[quote name='DestroVega']If you are in college, and your free time isn't spent chasing vagina... you are foolish.
[/QUOTE]

Really. Get drunk and chase women, gaming will always be there.

[quote name='2DMention']
Once you get out in the real world, you'll never be around that many people your own age ever.
[/QUOTE]

Retirement home FTW? :)

Come on Myke, we all know you professors just print all the papers out, throw them down the stairs and the ones that go the furthest get the best grades. Reading and grading indeed ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Depends on your major and the professors you get. As an accounting major I had assloads of time to do whatever. Hard science and engineering is a little more demanding.[/QUOTE]

This. But also, if you enjoy what you are studying it doesn't seem like that much. Just make sure you choose an area of study that you will enjoy.

[quote name='dannyox718']-what college gamers think: "Life will be so much easier when I start working. No papers to write and no grades to worry about. I'll be free to play games from 5pm every day. Can't wait to graduate."

-what life is really like: "Arrgh. I gotta cram my chores, social life, boyfriend/husband/father duties, basically my whole life outside of work into my evenings and weekends. I have no time to play games anymore. I wish I could go back to school and not have to worry about anything except my studies. Man, I played a lot of video games then."[/QUOTE]
Yet we are all sheep and accept that life.

[quote name='2DMention']I will never have a job that's so demanding that requires more than 40 hours. If you have to work that much, you're wasting too much time at work, don't have any time management skills, or are understaffed.[/QUOTE]

That's just silly, dude. It's going to be hard for you to find a job.

Promotions and perks are usually given to people that go above and beyond the "I'm here for 40 hours." mentality.

Certain places force you to take overtime or call when you start. At the O.R., day shift workers are required to take 24 hours of call every month. You can usually find someone to cover you but you're stuck with it if nobody can take it. You also have to work two holidays a year. We're open 24/7.

I've also had sales jobs where I worked from sun up to sun down. I didn't have to work that much but bills need to be paid. To quote Rick Ross, "Every day I'm hustling."

I just started grading (keep in mind these are essay questions in SOCIAL PSYCH) and I'll get an answer like "yes" for a 3 part question.

It boggles the shit out of me.

QFT!

Also it becomes harder to meet girls once you are out of college. So this is your golden oportunity. Put down the controller and go out and be social.

[quote name='2DMention']

It's also Waaaaaaaaaaaaay harder to meet women.[/QUOTE]

This is why going to college for engineering sucks.

I always had more time while in school compared to working full time, even in graduate school... Granted, I'm the one who finishes exams first, etc, so now that I'm bound by having to be in the office 40 hours a week or whatever, on top of time in traffic during rush hour, causes me to have less time than before.

On the other hand, I have co-workers who say the exact opposite, who work overtime cause of their project, and say they have more time now than in college. I guess it really depends on how busy you were in college.

I used gaming as a motivational reward. I got nothing done with a TV in my room, but if I finished certain assignments or tasks, I'd hook up my PS2 to the lounge TV and play Manhunt, Hitman or Vice City for an hour or so. This reward coincidentally occurred when campus tours would be given.

[quote name='2DMention']

[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain that's how it works. In my case I work 40+ hrs a week due to traveling. We could be understaffed.
Some companies once they get you on salary take advantage of this and get you hooked for 60 hr work weeks.

Enjoy the free time while you can college CAGs, cause the real world is full of work, life, wife/gf, kids, owning/renting a place, and once in a while as you juggle everything else you may find time to play games.

[quote name='2DMention']I will never have a job that's so demanding that requires more than 40 hours. If you have to work that much, you're wasting too much time at work, don't have any time management skills, or are understaffed.

If you're working >40 hours/week, I hope you own the business.

I don't have kids or a g/f, but only work 20 hours a week, so I have plenty of time for gaming and other stuff.[/QUOTE]

If you only work 20 hours a week, either your dad owns the business or you're French.

If you are only working 20 hours a week you aren't making shit. Any higher paying job is going to require you to put in more time than that. Although I agree the American standard of a 40 hour work week sucks, I think the shorter work week is one thing France has right.

To the OP, undergrad should be the time of your life. You probably spend at most 20 hours in class in a given week, with random days off here and there. If you are spending more than 20 hours a week writing papers you need to learn to read faster, type faster, or just hurry your ass up! Don't worry so much about gaming, the games aren't going anywhere and you have your whole life to play whatever you want. I'm still like 2 years behind on current gen games, but the plus side is everything is dirt cheap by the time you get around to playing them.

[quote name='lionheart4life']If you are only working 20 hours a week you aren't making shit. Any higher paying job is going to require you to put in more time than that. Although I agree the American standard of a 40 hour work week sucks, I think the shorter work week is one thing France has right.
[/QUOTE]

The game industry is even more sad. My brothers friend is in crunch time right now - and they CANCELED all the employee's Christmas break. And are requiring 70+ hours a week 7 days a week. They even have to come in ON Christmas.

What the fuck kind of slavery is that? We are all slaves for a piece of a paper with a # on it - which people tell us has "value".
Too much ACB for me...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']The game industry is even more sad. My brothers friend is in crunch time right now - and they CANCELED all the employee's Christmas break. And are requiring 70+ hours a week 7 days a week. They even have to come in ON Christmas.

What the fuck kind of slavery is that? We are all slaves for a piece of a paper with a # on it - which people tell us has "value".
Too much ACB for me...
[/QUOTE]

What studio is that? And I take it they're salaried?

bread's done
Back