I Lost My Job And I Need To Talk Thread great news find a job at IHOP

[quote name='epobirs']In any major urban population center there are IT roles that are practically guaranteed employment at over $50K. But unless you already have a very strong background, you won't qualify in six months. Also, a lot of the most valuable certs are are almost impossible to obtain without already being employed by a large corporate user of the product.

Some people don't notice these opportunities because the products are obscure outside the corporate sector. For example, if you can get the Lotus Notes Admin certification, you need never go more than a week unemployed if you don't desire it, and around L.A. the entry level for guys fresh out of the cert test is 40K last I looked. Experienced Notes admins can easily go over 100K and there are ALWAYS positions going unfilled in that particular skill set.

Any serious trade school diploma should pull down far better than $9 an hour, unless you live in Nowheresville. Typical jobs like that only tend to take an A+ Certification to get started. Anyone who has built their own PC should be able to pass the A+ test in less than a month of home study with inexpensive materials. Show any serious aptitude and you can get in at Best buy at $16 an hour. Beats the hell out of flipping burgers for the minuscule skill level required.

Once you get in at that sort of place there is usually assistance offered to help cover the expense of further certs. Network+ is another trivially easy test that shouldn't take more than a few weeks of home study if you have any aptitude. From there, Security+ is next.

Security+ is where things actually get interesting because it is the starting point for where the certs start getting serious. A whole bunch of certs, including the aforementioned Lotus Notes Admin, require Security+ or use it as an elective towards fulfilling the requirements.

If you have any genuine potential in IT, you can get all three of those CompTIA certs in less than six months and under $1,000 for the study materials and taking the tests. With any luck you can turn up vouchers that reduce the test cost considerably. It makes for great resume padding and the basic understanding for entry level IT gigs.

But it should also be recognized that you don't go to school for an IT skill set and that is the end. You may not be in a classroom but you'll be a student for the rest of your career, because there is always more to learn if you don't want your skill set to become stale as products become obsolete and new stuff enters the market.[/QUOTE]
thankz alot for ur time to write this

[quote name='kube00']Yea I lost my job in December I was in a contract I.T. position and my BAs are in English and History.

File for unemployment, freeze all your unnecessary spending, and hit the ground running. Take resumes and cover letters around to companies you'd like to work for and drop them off wearing dress clothes of course.

I've managed to have 3 interviews so far and I'm currently working, I was unemployed for about 6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

whats a cover letter

I wish I could get severance pay. How the hell do you manage to get a years worth of pay because they can't afford to keep you on hand?

With health insurance alone averaging anywhere from $900-$1100 per employee per month and the Company covering 70%-80% of it, depending on whether or not the severence covers health insurance a company can save a lot of money by paying out a severance for a year, than keeping someone as an actual employee employed

I signed up to be a mystery shopper the other day. Got a free pizza and they paid $7.00 too!

It's actually a lot more tedious than I thought though, almost not worth it. I had to remember so many things to say and do and kind of mutilate the pizza and take pictures. But hey, if you have the time......

[quote name='lordxixor101']Well, I'm a geek, I laughed.

Losing your job sucks. Only thing is, at least it's only been 5 years. I'm sure your still very employable. I know people here in Michigan that have worked 20+ years at their jobs, nearing retirement age, and they are laid off. They are quite screwed, often needing to go back to school, and accepting the fact that they will now work well into their 60's.

Was this a layoff or a firing? I'm somewhat surprised a college would be laying people off, when colleges usually fair very well in down economies.[/quote]

Michigan is the most depressing state in the country. there's no doubt in my mind about it. we have it worst then New York, California, Rhode Island, all of you fuckers.

IHOP sucks. I spent a year working there during my first year of college and I couldn't stand the place. I can only watch waiters and cooks drop food on the floor and scoop it back onto the plate for so long without getting sick.

[quote name='starmask2k3']BUMP UPDated Find a JOB at a IHOP[/QUOTE]
It's "found"...

[quote name='zewone']congrats on find a job[/QUOTE]

thankz

Anyone ever quit a job looking for better money only to realize that the other jobs suck, and you don't care as much about the money...thats what happened to me...

[quote name='CaseyRyback']great news friend[/QUOTE]

thankz

I applied to 15 places and haven't heard back from ANY places. Sucks being a high school graduate with no work experience. I wouldn't want to hire anyone like that either, and with the current economic circumstances, it is seemingly impossible to land a job for people like me.

bread's done
Back