I love Amazon, but if you roll snake eyes and you package is shipped from Kentucky...

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
You're screwed.

I get packages sent to me from Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky. Every time i order I pray it's not coming from the Kentucky Amazon shipping center. They cannot pack. I always, always get shit from the Kentucky warehouse thrown into a box that is too large for the item, with no packing material. So it bounces around all over.

My Kentucky purchases:

1) Digital camera, shipped bouncing around in a box 4x too big, no packing material, broken.
2) Collector's Edition game & Timex watch, bouncing around in a giant box with no packing material, watch box bounced over and over onto the collector's edition tin, denting, scratching & ruining it.
3) Replacement for the CE game, packed better but still arrived damaged.
4) 4 different books, thrown into a giant box without any packing material, and bounced around in a giant box that could hold a VCR. They didn't get damaged because they're well, books, but still.

Today I got 3 different boxes from Amazon from 3 different warehouses. Only the Kentucky shipment was packed like they don't give a shit.

I love you, Amazon. But you got to straighten out that Kentucky packing crew. I wish I could just place an order, but specify to cancel the order if it has to come from Kentucky.

Man, I wonder if that is where my Xbox 360 shipped from. It literally had no packing material in it and the box was way too big for the console itself. I was honestly shocked that it wasn't broken.

[quote name='Maklershed']This is what needs to happen ....

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that's my solution for most everything.

I love Amazon too, but they need packing training. They are wasting money using boxes that are too big.

I have been getting packages that are packed with a couple of air pillows, when 6-8 would actually do the job. They must think a couple of air pillows will prevent my stuff from rattling around.

I fortunately almost always get things like games, DVD/Blu-Rays, books, and things like XBLA Points cards from Amazon, so when I see it's shipping from KY, poor packing is not really an issue, and I know that there's an excellent chance that I'll get my Prime 2-day shipment in one day. If only there were a way to know what items would be shipping from where.

I live right by the Delaware shipping center, so almost all of my packages arrive really quickly, even without Prime, I usually get things in 2 days or less. But, on the rare occasion the DE center is out of stock and it comes from KY my stuff has always been damaged.

I got a Criterion Box set shipped from KY and it looked as though someone threw it against the wall a few times before they shipped it to me.

Moral of the story.....if it comes from the Kentucky shipping center and it can even remotely have the chance of being damaged, it will be damaged.

I've never had any problems, and I'd say at least half the shit I get is from KY since I'm just one state over. But I almost exclusively just order books or games from them.

I used to work at Amazon Customer Support... hate to tell you guys considering the website here and all... but the KY Distribution Center is their main hub of media such as books, music, DVD's, and games.

It's a shame too as I'm KY born and bred. I think it feeds the stereotype that we're all backwater, toothless, shoeless, inbreds in overalls that they can't properly pack and ship a freakin' box.

However, Amazon's not losing money besides in shipping. All that busted stuff you send back? It gets posted under the seller ID warehouse_deals, just incase you ever see that seller.

It's been a while since I've worked there so things may have changed but usually if you call, instead of e-mail, and sound put out enough without going on a cursing rampage, they'll usually replace it and let you keep the damaged item too if it's under $25. Customer Service used to be about getting that all important "Yes" on the follow up e-mail asking if the CS Rep solved your problem, but by the time I left, it was switching heavily over into CPH (calls per hour), basically meaning "field as many calls as possible, customer satisfaction is the second priority now."

I wouldn't have a problem with them getting rid of the KY warehouse either - that way I wouldn't have to pay tax on all those purchases...

[quote name='lokizz']maybe they mess your stuff up because youre all yankees............not to say its right but who knows.[/QUOTE]

You do know they were part of the union and not the confederate, right?

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the Kentucky warehouse. Plus, its 1 day shipping once it ships since I'm either in Ohio or Indiana.

[quote name='lokizz']maybe they mess your stuff up because youre all yankees............not to say its right but who knows.[/quote]

I think it's more the hicks have an IQ of 14.

bummer, i always get stuff from the fernley nv center, not only does it get here really fast because its close but its always packed well.

Can't say that I've gotten anything badly damaged, but I will start keeping an eye out for it in the future.

On the last couple of orders of a bunch of HD DVD's, I have noticed they did put them in a box that seems too big and just added in a couple air-pillows. They don't seem to be damaged but I haven't opened them yet so we'll see.

Thanks for the heads up (and sorry for your mishaps) OP

Package I got from KY once.

HPIM0324.jpg
:applause::applause:

I get pretty much everything from the DE warehouse and it's always just shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard and glued to the bottom of the box. It's genius really, I wish I could do that. Mostly games and books too. I don't think I've ever gotten anything poorly packed from amazon, they're always the best.

I get a lot of stuff in boxes way too big once in a while. Mailman must love that, have to get out of his truck in below freezing temps to walk it up to the door because a fucking Xbox game couldn't just be put in a simple media sized box.

It's not just Amazon. I just got a bargain bin game from Newegg in a box big enough to ship a football.

I usually find my packages from the KY shipping center slower than others, even the further ones. Besides that, I suppose I've been somewhat luckier on the packaging, I havent encountered anything too horrific, but I'll admit that the other centers are doing a lot better of a job with the shrinkwraping, etc.

Sometimes my stuff winds up in my state (Michigan), then goes all the way to fucking Pennsylvania for some reason. I thought the point of mail delivery was to get from point A to point B. Not A to B to C and back to B.

I recently bought GHWT from amazon and it arrived with box was slightly open and only a little bit of packing paper in it. Whoever taped it barely covered the middle, causing a flap to go up. Everything was okay though so it's not a big deal. This was from the PA distribution center.

I use to work at a warehouse where they made you put down a shipping code on a piece of paper with how many items in the box and count them up at the end of the day. If you did not get enough items packed/shipped in an hour you could lose your job. Using big boxes and just throwing in a couple of air fillers like the picture above is much faster then packing down a box completely. People hate their jobs and don't care about someones packages.

I've received quite a few things from Amazon that were packed fairly poorly, but never thought to check where they were coming from other than "some Amazon warehouse." So far nothing that's been damaged though.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I think it feeds the stereotype that we're all backwater, toothless, shoeless, inbreds in overalls that they can't properly pack and ship a freakin' box.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in Northern KY. 'bout 5 miles south of Cincinnati until I was 16, then about 7-8 miles south of there, within a 2 mile drive of where the Amazon center is.

The entire fucking region fills the stereotype.

Imagine if Toby Keith opened up a themepark: what it would look like, what it would contain, what condition things would be in, and who the people who went there would be like. Now, imagine not having to pay a $40 theme park entrance fee to go there.

That's Florence, KY. They don't deviate from the stereotype there. Except, strangely enough, Shaun Alexander, who was a total, complete, nerdasaurus.

[quote name='mykevermin']
That's Florence, KY. They don't deviate from the stereotype there. Except, strangely enough, Shaun Alexander, who was a total, complete, nerdasaurus.[/quote]
Any city that's hick enough to put "Florence Y'all" on its watertower will never overcome this stereotype.

[quote name='jlseal']Any city that's hick enough to put "Florence Y'all" on its watertower will never overcome this stereotype.
smile.gif
[/quote]
Lol, really?

Speak of the devil. My dad bought a digital camera from Amazon and it just came in right now. I picked up the package and heard some rattling inside. Sure enough, the package came from KY. The packaging is nowhere near enough to keep everything in place. Here's hoping my dad's new camera isn't busted.

Out of the purchases I've received from Amazon.com, most of them come to me from the KY warehouse, as it ends up being the closest warehouse to MO. About 90-something percent of the time, I have no issue, and as people have commented about the "shrinkwrap to cardboard backer" that gets done in the DE warehouse, I've had quite a few items from the KY warehouse come that way.

Though, I have had more than a few items get damaged in shipment, usually DVDs or games that the disc comes off the center holder or the holder breaks and the disc flops around in shipment. Those didn't matter where they came from, as the ones I had this happen to from the DE warehouse were probably broken before they were shipped out to me. The KY ones might be a case of underpacking with air pack in the box causing the issue.

They did have some issues when I went through three shipment of some DVD's before they came OK in shipment. The funny thing was that on the third shipment was that they told me that "this is it, if it doesn't show up in one piece, we're pulling all of them from the warehouse and check the inventory for possible damage." :whistle2:s They even directed me to a third party seller selling the same item, instead of a replacement shipment, once the second replacement was defective in shipment. :shock: They did eventually work it out.

The big items I've received, such as Tivos and BR players, they came from the CA warehouse and usually were packed with less packing materials than needed to keep them from moving around inside the shipping box. Double-boxing saved them.

I had my last shipment get damaged. It was some CDs and a book packed lose with two air pockets but one was deflated. CD case was cracked and book damaged from flying around the box. In the past they shrink wrapped books and games to cardboard so nothing could move. I was really annoyed there's no excuse to let small items fly around like a hurrican in a box.

Out of all my purchases done at Amazon.com, luckily none of them ended up damaged. I did have an incident where I had received a DVD in a box the size of a fat math textbook with lots of air pockets. I haven't bought any electronics yet from them but will consider it now if I will in the future.

I have bought one thing from Amazon directly - my DS Lite. It came reasonably quick and was in a box too big with one air pillow. Thank goodness it wasn't broken.

Got a package a couple weeks ago from the KY shipping center and the box was ridiculously big. It's a good thing it was just some LEGOs and a couple books.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Sometimes my stuff winds up in my state (Michigan), then goes all the way to fucking Pennsylvania for some reason. I thought the point of mail delivery was to get from point A to point B. Not A to B to C and back to B.[/quote]

That reminds me of the one guide package I sent out. It was going to Virginia(two states away from, since I'm in PA). The package went out to NJ first, then bounced ALL the fuckin' way down to either North Carolina or South Carolina, then slowly plodded it's way back up to Virginia TWO fuckin' weeks later.

Obviously, whoever designed the routes that mail takes in this country never heard of the saying 'the quickest route between two points is a straight line'.

Don't get me wrong, I sent it via Media Mail, so it normally takes up to two weeks, but whoever the frig routed it really did a whiz bang of a job.

Any of you also order the Xplorer controllers from amazon?

That was the most ridiculous, wasteful packaging job I've ever seen. The length and width were about right, but the box was like 2 feet high. And it was packed to the brim with paper. So it was a nice packaging job, but I still have about 10 pounds of paper that I use to package other stuff.

I thought of this thread today. My 3-month XBL code from the Lost and the Damned deal arrived yesterday. Came from the KY distribution center in a box that could hold two chemistry textbooks with no padding whatsoever. But it's a plastic card encased in bubble plastic, so no loss (aside from the terrible feeling of all the wasted resources and damage to the environment I willingly accepted because I am not a fan of paying MSRP for MS points/XBL online).

Sonic's Genesis Collection came today from a DE distro. Small box, cardboard liner, sealed in plastic.

Things *is* funky in Kentucky.

[quote name='mykevermin']Things *is* funky in Kentucky.[/quote]

Hrm, I never really noticed the source of the sometimes badly damaged shipments from Amazon.com. If it is KY then things IS funky indeed.
smile.gif

bread's done
Back