I met a Slickdealer in my store

NamelessMC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I was closing out on Saturday and a slightly older than me, caucasian guy came in with his wife. They were from Oregon and were driving through southern california on the way home.

We had a Harmon Kardon AV347 on display that we were going to sell open box because it was clearance. It's normally a $809 receiver, but it was on clearance for $515.

Normally I am really good about pitching accessories, service plans and the like, but as soon as I knew this guy was a slickdealer, I just stopped my pitching right there and just went straight up with him.

I took 15% off the receiver and gave him another $5-6 off because he was cool about it, didn't try to double dip me with coupons. (It's normally only 10%) He asked me if being on Slickdeals gives me an advantage in selling, I told him, "Well the only thing I can say is, because of me, we're one of the very few Best Buy's that didn't get any HD Advantage scammers haha".

He got a really killer deal on that receiver. It draws audio from HDMI, does 48khz lossless 7.1 and has a really high bitstream bandwidth. It doesn't have DTS HD or DD HD, but it'll destroy any entry level receivers that do in sound quality.

Wow, $809 to $515 just because it's an open-box clearance?

My Best Buy would knock maybe 5% off and call it a day, each time without fail. Except for the consumer.

I'm curious as to how you found out he was on a deal forum. When I'm shopping I keep that information to myself. I'm sure a lot of retailers are aware of the various deals forums but I still think it's best to avoid red flagging the whole situation.

[quote name='NTolerance']I'm curious as to how you found out he was on a deal forum. When I'm shopping I keep that information to myself. I'm sure a lot of retailers are aware of the various deals forums but I still think it's best to avoid red flagging the whole situation.[/QUOTE]

Me too... whenever someone asks me how I found out about a deal (that I saw on CAG), I usually say Fatwallet or Slickdeals.:lol:

bread's done
Back