I need a favor from some fellow CAGs... (VERDICT IS IN!!)

Well i got good news and bad news.

Good News: Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote for me my poster made it to the next round. (500 posters where choosen based on who got the most votes) So thank you everyone for everything you did. Without you guys i woiuld have never even made it to that point.

Over the past week those 500 posters where evaluated by the marketing group associated with the Silent Hill movie and out of the 500 only 5 made the cut. My poster made the cut! Out of Over 4,000 submissions i made it to the top 5!!

Bad News: So i just got a call from the people working for SOny who told me the great news and was just verifying the information with me. Then the guy goes "are you an artist, graphic designer, or graphic artist?" To which i replied yes i'm a graphic designer. Well i got disqualified from the contest for being a graphic designer. Which really fucking sucks. So basically i really missed out on an awesome piece for my portfolio.

Like i said i seriously owe you guys so much for doing me this huge favor. It really meant a lot to me that you guys all backed me and all the support i got from everyone. So thanks guys for everything!!

[quote name='onetrackmind']Well i got good news and bad news.

Good News: Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote for me my poster made it to the next round. (500 posters where choosen based on who got the most votes) So thank you everyone for everything you did. Without you guys i woiuld have never even made it to that point.

Over the past week those 500 posters where evaluated by the marketing group associated with the Silent Hill movie and out of the 500 only 5 made the cut. My poster made the cut! Out of Over 4,000 submissions i made it to the top 5!!

Bad News: So i just got a call from the people working for SOny who told me the great news and was just verifying the information with me. Then the guy goes "are you an artist, graphic designer, or graphic artist?" To which i replied yes i'm a graphic designer. Well i got disqualified from the contest for being a graphic designer. Which really fucking sucks. So basically i really missed out on an awesome piece for my portfolio.

Like i said i seriously owe you guys so much for doing me this huge favor. It really meant a lot to me that you guys all backed me and all the support i got from everyone. So thanks guys for everything!![/QUOTE]
Why would they disqualify someone for having art skills?

[quote name='onetrackmind']Bad News: So i just got a call from the people working for SOny who told me the great news and was just verifying the information with me. Then the guy goes "are you an artist, graphic designer, or graphic artist?" To which i replied yes i'm a graphic designer. Well i got disqualified from the contest for being a graphic designer. Which really fucking sucks. So basically i really missed out on an awesome piece for my portfolio.[/QUOTE]

Uhh... fuck that.

At what email address can I complain to them about their ridiculous policy? I mean, did they limit it to crayon drawings in the rules or is this an out of the blue thing where they don't want to deal with someone who might know their shit in negotiations over use of the poster?

[quote name='jmcc']Why would they disqualify someone for having art skills?[/QUOTE]

good question considering the fact its not in the offical rules. It doesnt make any sense to me but whatever. Everyone still stepped up to get me to the next round and i still made it to the top 5 regardless of them disqualifying me.

I would ahve had to sign a legal document and would ahve been disqualified for lying anyways.

[quote name='jmcc']At what email address can I complain to them about their ridiculous policy? I mean, did they limit it to crayon drawings in the rules or is this an out of the blue thing where they don't want to deal with someone who might know their shit in negotiations over use of the poster?[/QUOTE]

# Contest Administrator: Sullivan Compliance Company, P.O. Box 7398, Burbank, CA 91510-7398. Contest Administrator is not the supplier or guarantor of any prize.

# Sponsor: Hilltop New Media, Inc. 6025 W. Slauson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90231.

[quote name='onetrackmind']good question considering the fact its not in the offical rules. [/QUOTE]

Actually it is in the offical rules. I read that and thought that you where going to be screwed, I didnt say anything because i didnt want it to make it look like i was peeing on your parade...

Harsh to hear that man... But congrats none the less, thats a feat in itself you made it...

[quote name='Lice']Actually it is in the offical rules. I read that and thought that you where going to be screwed, I didnt say anything because i didnt want it to make it look like i was peeing on your parade...

Harsh to hear that man... But congrats none the less, thats a feat in itself you made it...[/QUOTE]

ah you should have told me bro, i read over the rules twice and didnt see anything about it. I guess i just missed it. Oh well i only have myself to blame for that one. Did you make it?

Are you a "professional" graphic designer, onetrackmind? In other words, do you get paid to do it?

I ask that because I'm a graphic designer, as well, and have taken some classes and whatnot... but I'm not a "professional". They may only be shunning professionals away.

Sucks that you got disqualified. I would think that they'd WANT someone who was good at this sort of thing. Yet another reason why I'm not a marketing exec.

[quote name='onetrackmind']ah you should have told me bro, i read over the rules twice and didnt see anything about it. I guess i just missed it. Oh well i only have myself to blame for that one. Did you make it?[/QUOTE]

First line in rules:

The Silent Hill Poster Contest ("Contest") is only open to legal residents of the 50 states of the U.S. and D.C., who are physically located and residing therein, who are 18 years of age or older as of December 5, 2005, who are not professional artists or graphic designers, and who are not subject to any agreement which would interfere with their ability to enter this Contest or assign all rights to be assigned hereunder

No i didnt make it.... didnt have nearly enough votes...../le sigh

[quote name='Lice']First line in rules:

The Silent Hill Poster Contest ("Contest") is only open to legal residents of the 50 states of the U.S. and D.C., who are physically located and residing therein, who are 18 years of age or older as of December 5, 2005, who are not professional artists or graphic designers, and who are not subject to any agreement which would interfere with their ability to enter this Contest or assign all rights to be assigned hereunder

No i didnt make it.... didnt have nearly enough votes...../le sigh[/QUOTE]

haha man thats terrible i missed that in the first friggin paragraph. Sorry to hear you didnt make it bro

Brak yeah im a paid graphic designer... although i'm basically self taught. I didnt take hardly any classes in college for it and whatnot. Oh well like i said its my fault for missing the line in the first paragraph of the rules.

[quote name='onetrackmind']Brak yeah im a paid graphic designer... although i'm basically self taught. I didnt take hardly any classes in college for it and whatnot. Oh well like i said its my fault for missing the line in the first paragraph of the rules.[/QUOTE]

I see. I'm in college for "graphic design", but I've only taken one actual graphic design class... and the teacher dropped me for bad attendance. :X I've taken numerous art classes, though (which are all limited, as usual). Essentially, I'm self-taught, as well... and to go further, I don't really want a degree in graphic design anymore. I do cartoon and comic art and have been meaning to do something with it for a while. Possibly an online comic, eventually. I'm a tortured artist in that it takes me a quarter of a century to come up with something I want to commit to.

[quote name='Brak']I see. I'm in college for "graphic design", but I've only taken one actual graphic design class... and the teacher dropped me for bad attendance. :X I've taken numerous art classes, though (which are all limited, as usual). Essentially, I'm self-taught, as well... and to go further, I don't really want a degree in graphic design anymore. I do cartoon and comic art and have been meaning to do something with it for a while. Possibly an online comic, eventually. I'm a tortured artist in that it takes me a quarter of a century to come up with something I want to commit to.[/QUOTE]

haha well my actual degree is in advertising/marketing... i took a photoshop basics class in college and didnt learn really much of anything. I've always been into art but not your usual art student type of person. I took a print production class and the teacher was really excited about "my natural ability" so after i graduated i looked for a graphic design job.

I've always really dug the stuff you have made (sigs and whatnot), you've defiently got talent. Graphic Design is pretty tedious and you dont really get an oppertunity to be really creative. Somethign where you're making your own comic relaly allows you to let it be yours and not someone else.

My real job is being a graphic designer for a company that makes automotive deailing supplies (sponges, chamois, etc) so you can image how incredibly boring all the stuff is i have to do.

Wow that blows man. We all know that you won the contest and would be seeing your design in the theatre so you should be proud.

HORSESHIT!!!! That really sucks bro. I don't understand why they would DQ designers. If it was in the rules though I guess you can't really complain too much. Too bad you didn't see that in the rules cause I totally would have submitted it for you (of course in the end, you would have gotten all the prize money). That is still pretty damn cool that you made it to the top 5 anyway. Even though most of us already knew it, you now have some honest to goodness proof that you are indeed the man around here. ;)

Congrats.. shame you got DQ'd... does anyone have a pic of the poster? I never had the chance to see it and I want to check it out :)

Edit: Saw it, in OTM's sig DUUUH. Great job! Maybe it'll show up somewhere involving the movie anyway, like a B poster or something.

That is a harsh wake-up call, OTM. Great poster, though, and I don't see any reason you couldn't reference it in your portfolio.

Congrats on making the top 5, but damn that sucks that you were disqualified. Smart move to not lie though, as if you won I'd bet that it would have come out and that wouldn't have been good for either you or Sony.

all of those except the one in the left hand corner are weak as hell. Man his poster was way better.....

Man, you made an awesome poster. That's bullshit that cuz you actually have skills you are applying to your job/schooling you get disqualified.

wtf.... does one of the finalists look familiar??

Heres mine...
SH.jpg

now look at the finalists... what in the.... boooooo!!!!!!!!!

man that sucks Lice, i persoanlly like yours better than the one thats up there. The one on the left sid eof the one just like yours is really well done.

Meh... those people probably knew some people and that's why you guys got the boot in different ways.

Hey, I gotta justify it somehow in my head...

That blow's donkey D**K's!!! OTM i'm sorry to see you got DQ. i still think your poster rock's & everything else you do. forget about them, with your talent, you'll be going places!!! keep your chin up dude. im voting for you in the cheapy-e awards!!!!

bread's done
Back