I need a good camcorder.

xboxowns

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I need a cheap camcorder with: a decent to long battery life, durability, high quality video, maybe takes pictures, and some kind of easy way to connect to a computer (USB) and edit. What I don't know about though is wether to get one that uses DVDs or tapes. I hear those mini DVD-Rs only hold 30 minutes and since it's -R does that mean I can only film something on it once, and even if I mess up, I can't delete it?

I got a great deal on mine though at Dell.com, using some coupon codes. I got them off of slickdeals.net IIRC.

well for pc hook up, you'll need a digital camcorder. Id go with a mini-dv. the tapes are 1 hr in length (not too bad) but general battery life is bout 45 min unless u get extended batteries. and STAY AWAY from canon, at least the zr series. my first one was a zr200 and it would record the motor noise, so on play back it sounded like there was a mac truck idleing in the background (i went thru 2 of them before I opted for panasonic). but pc hookup isnt all that easy. you'll need a program to capture video and Ive ran into problems with this. another thing, if u do want pc hookup, get a firewire card. much better quality over usb.

pros of mini dv
-small, compact, light weight
-cheaper than dvd, mini dvd
-decent battery life, depending
-same options as most other camcorders
-some mini-dv has an analog input to transfer hi-8/analog sources to digital
-most of built in digital camera, but usually only bout 1mgp

cons
-decent battery life (45 min for stock battery)
-tapes can run bout $5 apeice, but sometimes u can get 6-$20~ on sale
-lot of them will record motor noise, but for like my panasonic, its not that bad
-tapes only last an hr

etc etc

bread's done
Back