I Need A Surround Sound Sytstem!

jalopez86

CAGiversary!
Though not directly video game related I went ahead and posted this here. Is this the right place for this post?

Anyway, I need a decent surround sound system. I have all my shtuff in a 9 x 8 room. I want a 5.1 system. I might spend around 400$ for a system the operative word being might. I remember CheapyD saying he had a logitech system he was more than happy with. But I don't remember what kind.

I just want to feel the noise when I play Rock Band and Guitar Hero or take advantage of the great sound in stuff like Uncharted and Dead Space.

Hit me up. Thanks in advance.

I recently bought the Onkyo HT-S5100 set from Amazon for 381.xx shipped via Prime and love it

and I probably would have put this in the "other deals and requests forum"

[quote name='MrDubbs']I recently bought the Onkyo HT-S5100 set from Amazon for 381.xx shipped via Prime and love it

and I probably would have put this in the "other deals and requests forum"[/QUOTE]

I think that may be too many speakers for my 9 x 8 room.

buy this hands down....strong! small and awesome sound. cheap...no need for reciever...has optical in for tv surround sound....you wont regret it

[quote name='spedasso']buy this hands down....strong! small and awesome sound. cheap...no need for reciever...has optical in for tv surround sound....you wont regret it[/QUOTE]

Does it have a headphone input?

[quote name='kennistond']http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10574444

I bought this one from Walmart about 2 months ago and have had no troubles with it.

It doesn't have too many ports but check the specs to see if it fits your room.[/quote]

I also own this unit. It's perfect for a bedroom type deal. It's ubercheap, but sounds decent enough. I use it for all my gaming, movie, and tv needs and don't really have any complaints.

[quote name='jalopez86']Does it have a headphone input?[/QUOTE]

Yes and I'll throw in my personal recommendation (as well as my buddy who I helped get a set for) for the Logitech Z-5500s.

The only downsides to them are they are not a dedicated HT setup (i.e. with a receiver that can passthrough HDMI/component/all that nonsense, wireless rear speakers, etc.) like the $xxx setups from Onkyo, Bose, etc. They are designed and built to be PC speakers, so your output options are relatively limited and you'll have to deal with figuring out how to string out the wire to get the rear speakers in place. However, the control pod has an optical output, so for modern gaming systems and TVs, it does DD 5.1 and below beautifully.

The sub is boomy and powerful, speakers are crisp, the whole setup looks real nice (and matches your base PS3 and glossy black framed modern HDTV), it works with universal remotes, and even at close to MSRP, it's not going to cost more than ~$250; if you're willing to go used/deal hunt/wait, my buddy and I both got ours for ~$100 a pop.

Best of luck; a good surround sound setup really makes gaming/movie watching that much more enjoyable.

Here's a system (Sony HT-SS2300) that's 5.1 with some great features and works incredibly well with a PS3 (has 3 hmdi inputs so it can also handle a 360 and HD-Cable box at same time.) It's a nice step up from the bare bones Z-5500 but a better value than the Onkyo's.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A1J7WSBJHTGUFA&v=glance

It's $500 retail but the Amazon price bounces around and you can almost always find one for around $325.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the z-5500's.

Very nice.

I don't know what lazyone is talking about it having an optical output though. It has your standard 3 plug direct audio input (pc), coax input, and optical input.

Has hardware DD and DTS along with some emulated DD stuff you can mess around with if you want.

I use it with my 360 and PC. HDMI to DVI cable from 360 to monitor and optical audio. Direct connect for PC audio.

bread's done
Back