I need a TV. I have a 360 and Wii. But funds are limited. Help?

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
So I have a 360 and even though IMO the graphics look amazing still (I have a regular TV. Nothing fancy) I know they could be better.

Same goes for Wii. I know the games won't look MUCH better since the graphics on Wii aren't all that...but enough to make it look better :)

So any recommendations on TVs? I know this topic is SO played out. It doesn't have to be this ultra high end TV. I just want something at least 25 inches, no more then $800 (of COURSE less = better) and something that will be sufficient for Wii and 360.

So any help with this, would be most appreciated. You guys are awesome when it comes to recommendation threads :grouphug:

I don't have any links or anything, but when I was at wal-mart, there was a regular TV (meaning, not an LCD or Plasma etc) but it was a 30" widescreen HDTV for around $400 I think. I can't say anything about the quality but, it's at least better than a regular old TV.

get a CRT, they have some of the best pictures, and they still make a bunch of them up till like 34inches, they are relatively cheaper but much heavier. I still like them, but they have gone out of fashion since all the flat screens came about.

CRT = Flat screens?

Also, they take component cables?

One last thing: Will CRTs run in 720p? I want my 360 to look pretty awesome :)

Id check the philips outlet or employee store (anybody can register for the employee store)... you can get a nice 30 in hd tv for 377 or a hd ready 30 in for about 300

[quote name='lilboo']So I have a 360 and even though IMO the graphics look amazing still (I have a regular TV. Nothing fancy) I know they could be better.

Same goes for Wii. I know the games won't look MUCH better since the graphics on Wii aren't all that...but enough to make it look better :)

So any recommendations on TVs? I know this topic is SO played out. It doesn't have to be this ultra high end TV. I just want something at least 25 inches, no more then $800 (of COURSE less = better) and something that will be sufficient for Wii and 360.

So any help with this, would be most appreciated. You guys are awesome when it comes to recommendation threads :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

I second the CRT, especially with the WII, plus they support light gun games.

My Panasonic 30 inch tube HD is unbeatable in terms of image quality.

Don't buy a CRT, or if you do, at least make sure it's HD. The bigger screen and lower price is tempting, but you're really sacrificing picture quality with a non-HD CRT. I recently switched from an 18" CRT to a 20" LCD HDTV and I couldn't believe the difference. The picture is so much crisper than that of my old CRT. Small text that I had to squint to see before is now easily readable, I'm seeing little details that I never noticed before in movies that I've seen over and over again...I'll never go back to a CRT. Go to Best Buy or some other store that has lots of TV's on display and look at a CRT and an HDTV side by side, you'll definitely notice a difference.

[quote name='MidnightRain']Don't buy a CRT. The bigger screen and lower price is tempting, but you're really sacrificing picture quality. I recently switched from an 18" CRT to a 20" LCD HDTV and I couldn't believe the difference. The picture is so much crisper than that of my old CRT. Small text that I had to squint to see before is now easily readable, I'm seeing little details that I never noticed before in movies that I've seen over and over again...I'll never go back to a CRT. Go to Best Buy or some other store that has lots of TV's on display and look at a CRT and an HDTV side by side, you'll definitely notice a difference.[/QUOTE]

What? Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid? Look at a CRT and HDTV side by side? What? Say What?

You want to come down here and say that to my Panasonic CT-30WX15's face? Huh?

Text on a HD CRT, such as my Panasonic, [and many other fine Sony, Philips, and major brand HD CRT tubes] is more clear and more sharp than on any LCD or projection based technology available.

Not only that, color separation, contrast, viewing angle versatility, and just how unbreakable the technology is makes it truly the top HD technology available and it's a damn shame companies are trying to kill it so that everyone jumps on the LCD/projection bandwagon.

You test something like my Panasonic and I guarantee you that you won't find a better image quality, ever. Not without spending 3000 at least.

Did you miss the part where I said non-HD CRT??

[quote name='sarausagi']What? Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid? Look at a CRT and HDTV side by side? What? Say What?

Text on a HD CRT, such as my Panasonic, [and many other fine Sony, Philips, and major brand HD CRT tubes] is more clear and more sharp than on any LCD or projection based technology available.

Not only that, color separation, contrast, viewing angle versatility, and just how unbreakable the technology is makes it truly the top HD technology available and it's a damn shame companies are trying to kill it so that everyone jumps on the LCD/projection bandwagon.

You test something like my Panasonic and I guarantee you that you won't find a better image quality, ever. Not without spending 3000 at least.[/quote]

[quote name='MidnightRain']Don't buy a CRT, or if you do, at least make sure it's HD. The bigger screen and lower price is tempting, but you're really sacrificing picture quality with a non-HD CRT. I recently switched from an 18" CRT to a 20" LCD HDTV and I couldn't believe the difference. The picture is so much crisper than that of my old CRT. Small text that I had to squint to see before is now easily readable, I'm seeing little details that I never noticed before in movies that I've seen over and over again...I'll never go back to a CRT. Go to Best Buy or some other store that has lots of TV's on display and look at a CRT and an HDTV side by side, you'll definitely notice a difference.[/QUOTE]

Umm, if you purchase a HDTV CRT it is actually a better TV than a comparable LCD TV. The CRT produces a superior black level. Now of course a regular old tube TV that isn't HDTV won't compare to any HDTV, so that is kind of ridiculous of you to even compare the two.

I have a 32 inch LCDer that I got on Black Friday, works great, I like it. I only got it over a CRT in that, well...I don't want bulk anymore, lol.

If you are on a budget I recommend getting one of the heavy HDTV CRTs

[quote name='MidnightRain']Did you miss the part where I said non-HD CRT??[/QUOTE]

Sorry, sorry...

I'm a bit touchy about CRT tubes and defend them passionately when even one bad word is said about them

LCD's and slim fits just aren't as romantic as this beautiful 200 pound beast sitting across from me....

not sure what part of Jersey you live in, but in Lancaster PA there is a ton of Outlet stores, and they have one of the few Sony Outlet stores there, you could prob get a good CRT at a good price and no shipping.

As a certified cheapass when it comes to all facets of my life, TV's are a great find for any budget minded shopper. You missed the 2nd best time to buy a TV by two weeks as TV's go for super dirt cheap over Thanksgiving.

Your #1 time to buy TV's are the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, so basically, if you don't jump the gun, you're about two months away from spending that $800 on the biggest TV it'll buy.

Now for some realities...

For $800, you're looking at rear projection or CRT if you want something larger than 25". Plasma and LCD go up in price pretty quickly once you get over 19-20"

You might be able to do as well as scoring a DLP Rear Projection TV for that price, probably something in the 34-42" range. Super Bowl TV sales are awesome and they have stupidly affordable deals during that time. You might also consider using some of that $800 as a good 1/2 to 3/4 down payment on something "outside" your price range. You can take the $800 and it'd basically be another $800 - $400 for a really nice LCD or DLP TV.

I wouldn't recommend a front projector, as the cheaper (sub $2000) projectors either compromise on image clarity (it's called the screendoor effect, because that's what your video looks like it's being seen through), lamp brightness, or missing features (no internal sound!)

CRT's are excellent HDTV's and have an easy 20+ year lifespan if well tended to and bought from a reputable manufacturer (until recently, I had a 9 year old Toshiba that had impeccable quality, especially for a 4:3 27", and looked better than my own parents 4 year old 60" HDTV)

Rear projections look excellent, but they have to be adjusted for color separation issues. Most rear projection images are based of
3 projectors throwing red, green, and blue images at the screen. DLP solves this by throwing the colors up with a rotating device to throw all three images up with one output. The colors can look cleaner and brighter than older RP technology, but there's a persistance of vision effect, where if you turn your head really quickly while watching the TV, you'll see the image separate into Red/Green/Blue and then return to normal. It's distracting on different levels to people, and some can't stand it. Personally, I don't care, since it looks great when you're watching.

LCD is the ideal #3 choice, they have thin profiles, smaller sets having ALL the features you're looking for, some with built in features that CRT's abandoned long ago in favor of making the last generation of CRT's all HD friendly as quickly as possible. (LCD's with built in HD upscaling DVD players? CHECK!)

Component cables are the way to go, as the colors are cleaner and look sharper, because of the increased color quality available in each R G and B cable. First movie I ever watched in component quality was Airplane!, and it was like watching a modern film. I can't watch a movie in composite anymore.

Dude, in all seriousness, look at how old you are to judge what kind of TV you should buy. You're a guy who plays games so use this as your slide rule on what to buy. :)

Under 13? You don't have $800. That's cute to say you do, and we really do believe your Grandmother gave you the money, we really do. Every 12 year old braggart worth his salt will try the old "my parents gave me a credit card" line, but now with debit cards, this is easily struck down.

13-18? For $800, go get a nice 27" 4X3, spend the rest on games, you've got Shmups/Japanese RPG's to consider as well.

18-23? You're in college/unemployed, you don't have $800, you have credit and massive debt. You either have the 27" you stole from home when you had money, or you have someone's abandoned older rear projection you bought off of Craigslist as broken and repaired for $100, and you are a god in your dorm/apt building.

23-27? Assuming you didn't get married or are not in debt up to your ears from college and rabid iPod buying, you take the $800 and invest in a 30-40" TV, HD isn't a concern if price is the factor, because while HD wows, only your male friends care, and you all likely go over to another older friends house who has HD and a projection TV/Plasma/etc.

27-35? If your wife/GF isn't spending the $800, you've got the pick of the litter. Spin the excuse for a larger TV on any onset adult problems (vision "my eyesight's going" works perfect, as does "theater prices are so expensive/theaters suck/etc. " It also helps if you have kids as all large screen TVs have the ability to play back Disney and Nickelodeon TV shows with stunning clarity. This results in hypnotized children, leaving you free to go play games on your own 25" TV in your study, all to yourself.

That's okay. I actually had a hard time choosing between my LCD and a larger HD CRT -- the deciding factor was the weight. I'm pretty slight of stature and I wanted something that wasn't half my body weight. ;)

[quote name='sarausagi']Sorry, sorry...

I'm a bit touchy about CRT tubes and defend them passionately when even one bad word is said about them

LCD's and slim fits just aren't as romantic as this beautiful 200 pound beast sitting across from me....[/quote]

There is some very misleading information in this thread. A 30" non HD tv for $400? Just going to one of the online deal sites I see a 32" HD LCD for $500, a 27" standard def for < $200, a 42" DLP HD for $1k, a 37" HD LCD for $720, etc.
Regardless of what tv you want to buy go look at it in person before you buy. I cannot stress this enough. DLP tv's are in my opinion the worst option available, but some people like them. LCDs and Plasmas actually display black as a color so they can both have black/contrast/brightness issues, again some people like them and some don't.

For your price range I would look an HD CRT (cathode ray tube, the tv tech you grew up with) or HD LCD tv personally. When you do go look in person bring a dvd or 2 or 3 that you are very familiar with so you can compare different sets vs the same source material and not whatever the sales guy wants to show you. Also you will usually get better service at a high end overpriced place for your browsing period.

If you are going to upgrade to HD (which IMO you should :)) also pay attention to the inputs it has. HDMI can support DRM schemes so the powers that be are pushing for that pretty hard you will want at least one HDMI input. Also once you go HD you'll find that you can never have enough component inputs. :) Good luck!

[quote name='superstevedogg']Samsung 30" slimfit HDTV. Great TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7908062&st=samsung+slimfit&type=product&id=1149207784284

629.99 at BestBuy. You could even pricematch that at some other store. If you have a sears card, you could pricematch, and get an additional 10% back via mail in rebate, or put it on your card for 18 months of 0% deferred interest.

It has a great picture, and a built in tuner with plenty of inputs.[/quote]

I second this. If I had the money I'd buy this. Great inputs, HD ready and namebrand HD CRT = :applause:

[quote name='BasketCase1080']Id check the philips outlet or employee store (anybody can register for the employee store)... you can get a nice 30 in hd tv for 377 or a hd ready 30 in for about 300[/QUOTE]

Link?

I was curious are the Superbowl sales really that great? I was thinking about getting a tv as soon as a saw a really good deal, but would wait if the Superbowl sales are worth it. I remember stores having a lot of hdtv hype around the superbowl but I don't remember if the sales were actually all that great or if it was merely hype.

[quote name='lilboo']So I have a 360 and even though IMO the graphics look amazing still (I have a regular TV. Nothing fancy) I know they could be better.

So any help with this, would be most appreciated. You guys are awesome when it comes to recommendation threads :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Polaroid 26" HDTV...You can score one of these at Circuit City for $549...Best deal available IMO

By the way, if you have next gen systems and don't have an HDTV, you are really missing out...The details that programmers are putting in these games need an HDTV to be appreciated...Besides that watching tv shows in HD is awesome, and I'll never go back

You need to look at the resolutions these TVs support. Both that Samsung and the Philips form the outlet store only have 1080i as their max resolution. While that's plenty for the Wii (since it only supports 480p), the 360 looks amazing via 720p.

Plus, CRTs are a pain in the ass. They're so... fat. They take up too much space and weigh roughly 50% than their LCD counterpart.

[quote name='Vinny']You need to look at the resolutions these TVs support. Both that Samsung and the Philips form the outlet store only have 1080i as their max resolution. While that's plenty for the Wii (since it only supports 480p), the 360 looks amazing via 720p. [/QUOTE]

360 can do both 720p & 1080i and from what I've heard they look pretty damn similar. 720p is only necessary for a PS3 since it doesn't have an internal scaler. Also for anything non-HD, CRT is better. Unless the LCD screen has an excellent upscaler everything that's not at it's native resolution won't look as good because it has to be streched. CRTs have no native resolution (only a maximum) so 480i or 480p images will be displayed in 480i or 480p instead of being stretched to 720p or 1080i.

[quote name='superstevedogg']Samsung 30" slimfit HDTV. Great TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...samsung+slimfit&type=product&id=1149207784284

629.99 at BestBuy. You could even pricematch that at some other store. If you have a sears card, you could pricematch, and get an additional 10% back via mail in rebate, or put it on your card for 18 months of 0% deferred interest.

It has a great picture, and a built in tuner with plenty of inputs.[/QUOTE]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat95100050007&id=1138087675171

the link you listed is for the older tv the new 82 is a newer model... theere really nice tvs and they have a very sharp lcd.. just because lcd is thin doesnt mean it has the best picture..

[quote name='sarausagi']What? Are you stupid? Are you fucking stupid? Look at a CRT and HDTV side by side? What? Say What?

You test something like my Panasonic and I guarantee you that you won't find a better image quality, ever. Not without spending 3000 at least.[/QUOTE]

I got something to say about CRT tubes.

They're heavy mother fuckers

Yeah, I'm tempted by the 30PW9110D, but I've been reading reviews online, and no one seems to be real happy with it. Complaints of serious ghosting.

I'm also looking for a HDTV, similar to that price and size ($400 or less for 24-inches or more). Does anyone know where?

You test something like my Panasonic and I guarantee you that you won't find a better image quality, ever. Not without spending 3000 at least.[/quote]

LULZ! My LCD TV owns your PoS caveman TV. That's right, now cry for me plzkthx LULZLULZLULZLULZ!!!1!1

we just bought an Olevia 37" 720p LCD (537H) for the bedroom, and it's a fine set (i think someone else posted up the same one earlier in this thread). it was sub-800 from Target.com a few weeks ago, and apparently can be had for a similar price from Newegg.com. it weighs 52 lbs, and i lifted it onto our stand quite easily by myself, so it's definitely not heavy. it has a very deep level of control for tweaking color/black level/sound-shaping, etc., but is also very user friendly and has lots of flexible presets. it's also a nice plain black set, with none of that ghastly silver that all the TVs are using these days, which made my wife very happy.

it's got a pretty decent amount of inputs for it's price & size (2 composite, 2 s-video, 2 component, 2 VGA, 1 HDMI +optical and of course, RF/ant), as well as a built-in tuner for over-the-air HDTV broadcasts. everyone's gonna tell you that LCDs dont' have the best "black levels" and they're right, but unless you're very picky about image quality (like, to a fault), i guarantee you won't even notice, let alone care.

if you really can lay out the 800 bucks for it, you'll be pleased. one of the best values i've come across in some time.

[quote name='Dranakin']Yeah, I'm tempted by the 30PW9110D, but I've been reading reviews online, and no one seems to be real happy with it. Complaints of serious ghosting.

I'm also looking for a HDTV, similar to that price and size ($400 or less for 24-inches or more). Does anyone know where?[/quote]

I don't really have any noticeable problems with ghosting. But if it's refurb you are thinkking about buying, I would REALLY advise against buying it unless you buy an extended warranty.

I bought that same model refurbed in October of last year. Back then I paid almost $700 for the TV & 48 month extended warranty.

Well, after I got the TV, it worked for on a hour, then died. It would not power on. It went in the shop, and to make a long story short, I did not get the TV back until March of this year (5 monts). Apparantly, the whole issue with the TV was they had to replace a chassis and a bunch of parts that needed replacing on my TV were "always" on backorder. There was a lot of emails and calls going back and forth between me and between Philips. I was just pissed because Philips did not want to replace the TV (because it was a refurb), but opted to wait to repair it.

Since I got the TV back I have not had any major problems with the it. Although I want to sell it and get a larger LCD HDTV.

I will never buy a Philips product ever ever again (new or refurb). Mainly because of their horrible, horrible customer service.

[quote name='nikkai']I got something to say about CRT tubes.

They're heavy mother fuckers[/QUOTE]

Well, I agree with you, they are..mine comes in at 200 pounds..I've seen CRT's that get near 300..

But then again..anything big screen that ISN'T an LCD weighs 200 pounds at the least anyways...

Anyone else just feel LCD's aren't very romantic? They feel cold..dry...just not very personal at all....

Nothing like the warm soft hum of a CRT...or the loud beautiful crack it makes the first time you fire it up...

[quote name='allyourblood']we just bought an Olevia 37" 720p LCD (537H) for the bedroom, and it's a fine set (i think someone else posted up the same one earlier in this thread). it was sub-800 from Target.com a few weeks ago, and apparently can be had for a similar price from Newegg.com. it weighs 52 lbs, and i lifted it onto our stand quite easily by myself, so it's definitely not heavy. it has a very deep level of control for tweaking color/black level/sound-shaping, etc., but is also very user friendly and has lots of flexible presets. it's also a nice plain black set, with none of that ghastly silver that all the TVs are using these days, which made my wife very happy.
.[/QUOTE]

Probably the best advice so far. You guys pushing the crts should lay down your arms as this was once the standard but today "Games" look alot better on modern digital televisions, be it plasma, lcd, dlp, lcos. CRT may still have an edge for reproduction of film but the digital gives things a crisper edge. Admittedly you lose the ability to reproduce colors as accurately as currently possible but games don't really have accurate colors now do they.

In other words get an lcd flat panel or dlp rear projection.

If you did care about the little things you wouldn't be here you would be on the avs forum talking about your pro tuned g80 crt and all the inky blacks.

It's amazing the ignorance in this thread. I'll try to clear it up.

There are three major Television technologies: CRT, LCD, Plasma

They can all run High Definition resolutions (at least 720p), but some do it better than others.

Breakdown:

CRT: Big, bulky, ancient. Stands for Cathode Ray Tube. These things have been around forever, and they're the best technology available in terms of picture quality. You'll be getting huge contrast ratios, and brilliant black levels. They may be huge and heavy, but you're not going to find a better picture for the price. Oh, and Tomonobu Itagaki recommends a CRTs for gamers.

LCD: Liquid crystal display. Chances are you're viewing this thread on one. Thin, low quality. Chances are you'll get a low contrast ratio, terrible black levels, and perhaps some ghosting because of poor refresh rates. That is if you don't do your research. LCDs have been improved vastly from their early years, they are now cheap, space saving, and give crisp pictures. You'll have to pay more for your picture than a comparible CRT, but it will be infinitely lighter in comparison. You'll also have to deal with dead/stuck pixels.

Plasma: Sounds futuristic, doesn't it? That's because it is. Plasmas offer brilliant black levels at LCD sizes. A great choice for someone with a deep wallet. Not only do you get a brilliantly crisp picture in a thin package. You also get the class distinction of having the most expensive, cutting edge, relatively unproven technology on the market. Some older plasmas have problems with burn-in, though. If you display static images on your screen (such as a health bar, or HUD in a game), they can end up permanently etched in the plasma of your television, completely destroying your multi-hundred dollar purchase. Make sure you take care of your plasma, and know what it can take.

I'd say your best bet is a cheap CRT, 1080i or 720p. If you plan on getting a PS3, as of now you're going to need 720p capability. If you do get a 1080i only TV, make sure the price is right. If you're not worried about getting HD television broadcasts, save a few bucks and get an HD-ready TV. You'll still be able to game in HD, just not view television in HD.

Or you can find a good price on an LCD, but chances are a cheap one will have the problems discussed above.

Get the one that I'm planning on getting this Sunday for $479.99:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEV...sem/rpsm/oid/163701/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

OLEVIA 27" 2 Series LCD HDTV (227V)

Features:

• 27" LCD HDTV: Enhance your home with the stunning high-definition images and lifelike colors of a 27" 2 Series TV with 1366 x 768 resolution. The sophisticated charcoal finish will add style to any room.

• Built-in HD tuner: Experience the breathtaking clarity of HDTV broadcasts with the integrated ATSC tuner. Simply add an HD antenna and you’re ready to enjoy over-the-air HD programs.

• Widescreen: Watch movies in their natural cinematic format (16:9) without letterboxing for the ultimate home theater experience. 3:2 pull-down with motion compensation ensures a clear picture.

• Compatibility: This TV is compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i digital programming.

• High viewing angle: The 178° viewing angle allows for easy viewing from virtually anywhere in the room.

• PC-compatible: Just use the PC input to turn this big-screen TV into the ultimate computer monitor.

• Other features: Additional features include upgradable filmware via USB, user-friendly OSD, full controls, Director's Image, linear and panaromic scaling, parental control, closed captioning and sleep timer.

On a random note, I don't think any CRTs on the market support 720p, only 1080i. (Though most will convert 720p to 1080i.... I think) They do have the best picture though. The unfair trade off? My 30" Philips HD Flattube weighs 180lbs. (but for $350, I wasn't complaining)

I purchased said TV from their outlet store (http://www.outlet.philips.com) and it is truly a game of Russian Roulette. I got away unscathed (refurbished, perfect condition), my buddy wasn't so lucky - his came in broken, and after 10 unanswered calls finally got a response - saying he couldn't return it, after arguing a while he got them to take it back... it took nearly 3 weeks for them to send for it and a month for him to get his money back. Just a warning.

That said, for $800 you can get a good 32" or a decent 37" LCD TV. LCD is, imo, the worst of the current technologies, but it is flat panel and convenient, plus it doesn't look that bad. (and is getting cheaper by the day.)

bread's done
Back