I need help opening a port for utorrent...

Jack7Of7Spades7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I have no idea what I'm doing, nor what I need to do. I need to open port 46860, because utorrent tells me it isn't open (I checked to see if it was working properly, and it told me the port wasn't open). I have a Scientific Atlanta WebStar DPC2100R2 series cable modem.

Any help appreciated.

Already been there, and they don't have my modem.

Anyway I called my cable company and told them I had a problem with my modem (unrelated to this topic), and they said they'll come with a new one. Hopefully it's not a piece of shit, and another company too so I can get that port forward crap done.

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']Already been there, and they don't have my modem.

Anyway I called my cable company and told them I had a problem with my modem (unrelated to this topic), and they said they'll come with a new one. Hopefully it's not a piece of shit, and another company too so I can get that port forward crap done.[/quote]

Most cable modem do not have built in firewalls. I'm thinking you'll need to open the port on the Windows Firewall.

Try this

Do you have a router or on a school/office network that you're connected to? If it's a router, you might have to open the port up manually if it's not Windows Firewall like someone else mentioned. If it's a school/office network, you might be SOL since they generally block ports for unregistered or unauthorized programs.

Oh, and sorry guys, stop wasting time here, help someone who needs it (or help me in my other topic if you want), I fixed it. I had utorrent randomize ports, it did, and after checking, it appears that this port is open.

If a port is closed, that would cause most torrents to stop doing anything right? I'll have to wait a little to see what happens, but for some reason since today, the torrents slow down, all in infinity ETA mode, maybe 1 or 2 actually moving a tiny bit. I'm hoping it's the port stuff, that way I fixed it. I mean ports are for connections and the torrents slowing down would have to be the connections (internet speed did not dip, so it's not my internet speed slowing down) right?

Hmm, seems like someone keeps fucking shit up for me, I'll have to call my isp tomorrow to ask if they are closing my ports, because I rechecked an this port is closed too.

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']Hmm, seems like someone keeps fucking shit up for me, I'll have to call my isp tomorrow to ask if they are closing my ports, because I rechecked an this port is closed too.[/QUOTE]Your ISP can't do shit about your ports.
If you have Comcast, however, they might be fucking up your connections to other users with something called (IIRC) Sandvine. Do a Google search about it.

Not true, some ISPs block/throttle ports that they believe is being used for P2P.

If you don't have a router, and you're just connected to a cable modem. Set uTorrent to randomize the port that it uses. And also enable protocol encryption, and make sure to have "Allow incoming legacy connections" checked. I'd also disable "DHT Network/for new torrents" as nothing but bad can come of DHT.

Then "Test if port is forwarded properly." It should give you a green checkmark, and tell you everything is working correctly.

Oh it is ste to encryiption and random port, but unfortunately the ports only last about 5-10 minutes, then are closed. That's why I would think my ISP is doing it. You think those steps will really protect me?

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']Oh it is ste to encryiption and random port, but unfortunately the ports only last about 5-10 minutes, then are closed. That's why I would think my ISP is doing it. You think those steps will really protect me?[/quote]

Yeah, what your ISP is doing is called traffic shaping. Take yukine's advice.

Okay. This won't affect my download speeds, will it? I have a router I use to change my ip (ipconfig doesn't work, isp won't do it, don't feel like using proxies), but I can hook it up if it can block my isp from blocking my connection.

Anyway I did the steps, disabled DHT, activated encryption and random ports, did the legacy connections thing.

Normally, the port would be closed within 10 minutes. I'm going to eat and do some other stuff and check back, just to make sure no one is turning off my connections after 10 minutes.

If it continues though, aside from the routerthing, is there any plug in or option to have utorrent switch ports every x minutes? I know you can do it manually, but having it do it automatically so it does it while I'm sleeping (the most productive time for utorrent) would be great.

Go to "Connection" and then you can tick "Randomize port each time uTorrent starts." You can't specify an amount of time to have them switch, unfortunately.

Not exactly sure what's the deal, enabling encryption worked for me when Cox was randomly blocking traffic to ports that I would assign to uTorrent. I had to randomize the ports as well, when I was making a direct connection to my cable modem. Now that I'm connecting to a router, I don't need to randomize the port, but I still keep the encryption on and then manually port forward the necessary ports... everything works properly for me. Try using port "63442".

Edit: Just to be clear, you don't have any software firewalls installed right? And is the Windows Firewall disabled?

Edit Edit: Oh, and to answer your question... enabling encryption is making your downloads faster. As your ISP is unsure of what kind of data is being sent/received. Now we just need to figure out how to stop the ports from closing.

Yes, windows firewall is the only one, and it is disabled for utorrent.

So, I think I'll just plug it in through the router. That should (hopefully) work right?

Plugged in the router, and the ports are always closed. I tried the site posted earlier, needed a static ip address, so I tried, and my cmd window keeps crashing, I can't do anything with it. Why do I have so much computer trouble :(

Try this:

Start > Run > cmd /k ipconfig

A DOS window will open up and there should be a line that says

I.P Address: 192.168.x.x

Write that down and then open a new Internet broswer window and type that I.P address, but on the last set of digits - use .1, .10, .100, .0

Hopefully some sort of mini-script window should popup asking you for a login name and password.

Try admin for both name and password.

With any luck (this works with a lot of routers) this should bring you router's config menu, and it's only a matter of time before you find the open to forwarding ports - both up and down.

EXAMPLE

The IP the router assigned me is 192.168.1.101

I enter 192.168.1.100.
I enter admin:admin at the login.
I'm inside my Linksys router's config mode and I port forward xxxxxx on the IP 192.168.1.101
Hot apply and OK and usually I'm maxing out my download and upload speeds.

[quote name='Jack7Of7Spades7']Hey, I have a stupid question, say my internet speed is 3mb, why doesn't my download speed go up to 2mb-3mb per second?[/quote]

Just so you know 3Mb is 3 megabits. There are 8 bits in a byte so 3Mb would be 0.375 MB or 375 KB.

bread's done
Back