I need new speakers! UPDATE!

Nobody really makes surround sound PC speakers anymore.... Logitech used to have great speakers in the Z5500s, but it doesn't look like they make them now. The Z506 is probably your best bet for a budget set, but they don't have the greatest of reviews.

when it comes to speakers you get what you pay for.

what i use is a home theaters system i got from goodwill(pretty much those 150$ speakers from wallmart). has a remote and i use headphone mode to get sound from all the speakers. just need one of them y shaped audio cables to connect from pc to the system. =p

I have a theater system by sony that I use fr my pc setup.... used to be used in my living room. Still has tons of bang for the buck, but I need money for a baby thats coming soon. Let me know if interested at all. In the WI area.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']What's the best I can do for around $100 or less??

So, I can use a regular home theater system for PC?[/QUOTE]
$100 or less? probably some headphones.

you can use a regular home theater system depending on how it's set up. usually you just plug your fiber optic cable right into the receiver, and all the speakers into the receiver.

honestly even tho i hate logitech because nothing i buy from em last more than 6 months, here is what id buy if i were buying new speakers

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121048

its like #1 on newegg for the past 5years too hehe. anything any better and i'd get a good home theater system

other option are those 50$ 2.1 speakers witha sub from wallmart. my friend has em and there decent

get 2.1 tho. your buying cheap and those 5.1 speakers are basically a bunch of cheap speakers to get the price up hehe. you really want to avoid a 5.1+ system unless you're willing to spend 200$+. guess in ohterwords get more of what you pay for with 2.1

I have the following went from 7.1 to 2.0, hated the cable management . Also because so many games I am making quick movements I didn't really get to "ENJOY" the sound as much as I would say watching a movie.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116044

also read alot about M Audio brand like the following are some choice speakers, however I got my Creative cheaper on sale so I didn't go for the better (based on reviews) M Audios.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/M-Audio...561582512&skuId=8256503&st=m audio&cp=1&lp=11

Another factor for the gigaworks is pretty rich sound lows and highs, for a "smaller" speaker.

I run mine through Asus Xonar d2 and have my bass on the speaker set to 1/4 and treble to 1/2 and volume usually about 50%. I don't hear any distortion. Cones are also made of some material that seems sturdy that typical paper fibrous material of standard theater speakers.

For your price range get either the:

Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System

or

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System

But for around $100-$150, they are good, but not great. Headphones would be better buy for the budget you have set. But either of these would be fine.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Mine are pooping out. They are old and shitty.[/QUOTE]

Listen, when ladies get older, that happens. You can get some surgery done, but I say just use em up til they are no longer capable of output.

[quote name='j-cart']For your price range get either the:

Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System

or

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System

But for around $100-$150, they are good, but not great. Headphones would be better buy for the budget you have set. But either of these would be fine.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Klipsch. You can ebay em for less than $100

Get the Logitech Z-5500 or the new version Logitech Z-906.

Gonna need a sound card to effectively utilize it though.

[quote name='j-cart']Get the Logitech Z-5500 or the new version Logitech Z-906.

Gonna need a sound card to effectively utilize it though.[/QUOTE]

5500's are over $600 to $1000 bones. I might get the 906. What sound card should I get?

if you want to do the legwork but get MUCH better sound...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269024

i have this system, but with a different subwoofer. you also need an a/v receiver. there are many old models that people are selling for cheap because they want receivers with HDMI. find an old one with optical inputs, and can decode dolby surround and all the popular formats. your mobo/audio card should have an optical output.

you will also have to do some futzing around with your mobo audio drivers/audio card, because it has to be able to transmit surround sound to the a/v receiver.

it's complicated but it will sound way, way better than any PC speaker system, and it gives you room to upgrade and the ability to replace an individual part if it goes bad.

bread's done
Back