I need some help deciding on a tablet to read comics on.

UnicornBang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I really want the Kindle Fire HDX but I hear it isn't as customizable as the nexus 7. I am looking for something to mainly read comics, books, maybe some multi media stuff. If anyone has any info, advice, suggestions, or experience with these please chime in. I hear I can unlock the Kindle to have more app options but still really torn here. I appreciate any help. By the way I am looking at all 7 inch models. Looking for more of a portable device.

I highly recommend the newest Nexus 7... the screen is beautiful, the resolution is high, and the Kindle Fire series is definitely not very customizable. You can unlock the Kindle but I still prefer the Nexus 7 over anything. It's pretty crazy how good of a tablet it is for the $229 price range. You can also obviously root the Nexus as well if you want, and can fix it back where you don't void the warranty.

Yes I agree the $229 price tag on both is awesome. I hear the HDX has a much better processor. Do you feel the Nexus 7 feels smooth and not very sluggish? One of the things that really annoys me is laggy screens while I am scrolling through a device.

I looked it up... it does have a 2.2 GHZ snapdragon as opposed to a 1.5 snapdragon in the Nexus, but from reviews I'm reading the Nexus is still the better overall tablet. It absolutely does not feel sluggish for me at any time... The chrome browser is extremely fluid and I literally feel like I'm on a computer at times. 

One last question. Have you read comics on the nexus 7? I really want an enjoyable portable experience. Thanks for all of your help by the way. Sending some positive feedback your way.

Nope I haven't really read any books or comics on it, but since the resolution is I believe 1920x1200 - you will get an extremely enjoyable experience when it comes to reading anything. It allows for more text to fit on the screen as well as each piece of text to be clearer and sharper. 

And also, that resolution is actually bigger than my laptop which is a pretty nice laptop - 8gb DDR3 RAM, GTX 660, quad-core, etc etc and it's a 1920x1080 resolution so for a 7" tablet to be a bigger resolution is pretty darn nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nexus 7 is running pure Android where the HDX is running Amazon's fork of Android.  There's much more overhead on Amazon's OS on the HDX than pure Android running on the Nexus 7.

Unless you need the benefits of Amazon Prime viewing on your HDX for video and books, just pick up the Nexus 7.

I couldn't pass up on the deal Amazon had yesterday. I got the hdx for $194 plus free shipping. I appreciate all of the input and advice. I will post back with my experience. Pros, Cons, to help others decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back