i need some ps3 advice...

You're going to want to go internal, if you don't have a spare external drive, you can buy a hard drive enclosure I used this one, put the new internal drive in the enclosure and back up your PS3 to it. Transfer the data off the HD to your PC. Swap drives in the enclosure, load your PS3 files from your PC onto your old drive, then reinstate your data on the new drive.

In regards to this topic, does this void your warranty if you are using the slim model? Not the newest slim...

Also, would putting a new HDD in your console make it another system activated on your 5 console limit? I can't imagine it would but I have been surprised by dumb stuff before.

^That. No need to get one in an enclosure when all you need is a bare drive. Unless the enclosure option is cheaper but it rarely is.

Sony used to have a long list of compatible SATA drives for their Playstation 3 but took it down from their support site a while ago.

Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung and a few other major brands should all be fine. I'd recommend sticking with the stock 5400 RPM instead of 7200. After experimenting with that upgrade myself, I came to the conclusion that it caused more problems than it helped with improved loading times.

[quote name='THT']In regards to this topic, does this void your warranty if you are using the slim model? Not the newest slim...
[/quote]

It doesn't.

[quote name='THT']Also, would putting a new HDD in your console make it another system activated on your 5 console limit? I can't imagine it would but I have been surprised by dumb stuff before.[/QUOTE]

I believe it does. I started noticing it after my first HDD upgrade. Once you've backed everything up from your old HDD, restore it to factory settings and de-authorize the device. You'll have to format the new drive anyway.

If you do the direct PS3-to-PS3 transfer via ethernet cable, it shouldn't count it as another/new device.

Damn :( I only have one slot left, because I wasn't able to deactivate one of my old PS3's (ylod) and also I forgot to do the other one lol. Is there a way I can deactivate them from their website?

[quote name='THT']Damn :( I only have one slot left, because I wasn't able to deactivate one of my old PS3's (ylod) and also I forgot to do the other one lol. Is there a way I can deactivate them from their website?[/QUOTE]

Go Here and login to do a remote activation that will deactivate all PS3s/Vita/PSP associated with the account

After doing that, can I just reactivate my vita and PS3 from the system to let them keep using the content I have from the PSN?

[quote name='THT']After doing that, can I just reactivate my vita and PS3 from the system to let them keep using the content I have from the PSN?[/QUOTE]

Yep that will work.

I was under the impression you were no longer able to hook up external hard drivers, or flash drives to the PS3.

[quote name='Bug42']I was under the impression you were no longer able to hook up external hard drivers, or flash drives to the PS3.[/QUOTE]

One of the firmware updates (don't recall which one) made it very difficult to use larger volumes externally.

Those tiny USB drives should still work, though.

woah, wasnt expecting this many replies. im not very tech savy, so im looking for something that i can st plug in and have more space for games, got like $1000 worth of games and would love to have them all at once. if this isnt possible i might just save up and get one of the new fancy models since mines getting a little noisy and i keep having to open her up and clean all the dust.

[quote name='bitterbuffalo']woah, wasnt expecting this many replies. im not very tech savy, so im looking for something that i can st plug in and have more space for games, got like $1000 worth of games and would love to have them all at once. if this isnt possible i might just save up and get one of the new fancy models since mines getting a little noisy and i keep having to open her up and clean all the dust.[/QUOTE]

External drives can not have games installed on them. You need an internal drive to install games to .

[quote name='bitterbuffalo']woah, wasnt expecting this many replies. im not very tech savy, so im looking for something that i can st plug in and have more space for games, got like $1000 worth of games and would love to have them all at once. if this isnt possible i might just save up and get one of the new fancy models since mines getting a little noisy and i keep having to open her up and clean all the dust.[/QUOTE]

Trade it in for a 500GB model. I have one and with all of my games and file saves I have about 100+GB left.

[quote name='THT']
Also, would putting a new HDD in your console make it another system activated on your 5 console limit? I can't imagine it would but I have been surprised by dumb stuff before.[/QUOTE]

When did they start doing this? I upgraded my old 80 to 320gb and all went well & didn't require a new activation

[quote name='eLefAdEr']After experimenting with that upgrade myself, I came to the conclusion that it caused more problems than it helped with improved loading times.[/QUOTE]

What problems did you run into? Mine has been flawless until now. Ever since I lost power while the PS3 was on it now makes a hard clicking noise and textures load slower on Borderlands 2. Likely have to replace again and I'm going 7200 again if I snag a decent deal on one.

[quote name='Romis']When did they start doing this? I upgraded my old 80 to 320gb and all went well & didn't require a new activation[/QUOTE]

Same here, I've upgraded my Ps3 a few times and it never required new activation.

[quote name='Koopa22']Same here, I've upgraded my Ps3 a few times and it never required new activation.[/QUOTE]

why would it require a new activation? the system holds the activation, not the hard drive

[quote name='Mad39er']What problems did you run into? Mine has been flawless until now. Ever since I lost power while the PS3 was on it now makes a hard clicking noise and textures load slower on Borderlands 2. Likely have to replace again and I'm going 7200 again if I snag a decent deal on one.[/QUOTE]

I experience framerate issues with certain games, such as the beginning of matches in Battlefield 3. Syndicate has been rendered unplayable with gameplay 'freezes' that last 5 seconds each time about twice a minute (may or may not be related to a 7200RPM drive but it's my belief).

In the end, it feels like it was an upgrade not worth the extra money versus a 5400RPM drive.

bread's done
Back